*Official August 2016 MCAT Thread*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

leelee12

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

This thread is for everyone that is writing the MCAT on August 4th, 5th, 19th, 20th or on the 25th.

Slow and steady wins the race.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Can't decide if I want time to go by faster or slower...I am so scared of checking my score and seeing something below 500

I think I am going to have a heart attack when it changes to say: "new scores are available".URGH

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm going to be at work when they go up. Anyone wanna text me when they go live?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Nervous for people here! Good luck everyone!

We have such an incredible doctor shortage in this country that if it was up to me, I would let everyone here into medical school!

Members don't see this ad :)
523 130/130/132/131

Literally fell on the floor when I saw it.

Three and half months of studying 6 days a week 8 hrs/day paid off. Holy ****. One of the most gratifying moments of my life. Thank you God, /r/mcat, sdn. Cheers to everyone from August 25th, you all were an awesome resource to keep sane.

Reactions: 3 users
Got 499 124/123/123/129 , do you guys think this is good enough for a low tier or new D.O school?

503. 125/128/125/125. Don't know what to think...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

I studied using Kaplan for 2 1/2 months and after, I waited a month to retake and for which I prepared for a month. I got on aamc scored a 500

Bummer, sorry to hear about that. Try to figure out what went wrong...Don't worry, keep your head high and keep pushing forward!

516 (127/131/128/130)
523 130/130/132/131

Three and half months of studying 6 days a week 8 hrs/day paid off. Holy ****. One of the most gratifying moments of my life. Thank you God, /r/mcat, sdn. Cheers to everyone from August 25th, you all were an awesome resource to keep sane.

How did you guys prepare?!

Congrats to everyone. I got a 507 (126/126/127/128) and quite frankly I am okay with that (applying only to DO schools). To those who didn't score as well as what they wanted, good luck in the cycle or better luck next time. I am sure you will be just fine in the long run.

523 130/130/132/131

Hard work goes a long way! Congratulations and good luck on your journey to medicine! (Although I am sure you probably won't need much luck).

I feel like this score excludes me from applying to any top tier schools which is why I am considering retaking

What did you get on the AAMC scored? If you're confident that you can hit 95%+, then maybe. Also how did you feel on test day? Did you feel like you got 512 without giving it your best?

524 (131/131/131/131)!!!! I had to wait a day to make sure I didn't dream it. I am SO ECSTATIC. 521 on scored, 92% on unscored. I averaged 515 on NS, 510 on Kaplan, ~80% on EK. Do the section bank and all AAMC materials - after doing those I saw my scores jump!!! Even though I'm mostly a lurker I love you all thank you so much for the support

Reactions: 2 users
I feel like this score excludes me from applying to any top tier schools which is why I am considering retaking
What did you get on the AAMC scored? If you're confident that you can hit 95%+, then maybe. Also how did you feel on test day? Did you feel like you got 512 without giving it your best?

Even at 95%+ they are looking at an averaged score somewhere in the 514-516 range. Definitely not worth retaking unless they can get in the top 1-2%, otherwise they have really not gained much by retaking. Otherwise look at schools they are interested in, and find out if they have any explicit policy about taking the best score.

Okay I have never done this but I could use some advice. My intention is to apply to a D.O. school with my 504 MCAT. But does anyone think I might have a chance at a low tier allopathic school? This is what I bring to the table,

1) Undergrad GPA 3.8----honor society
2) three years of medicinal chem. research- one publication and numerous presentations with the ACS.
3)>100 hrs shadowing
4) >300 hrs hospice volunteer
5) 2 years work as a biology teaching assistant
6) 1 year work as a patient transporter
7) current job---patient data analysis at a local Lyme clinic
8) secured LOR----chief of infectious disease and vice president of medicine at my local hospital
9) currently in graduate school-masters in Physiology---GPA 3.5
10) various clubs and scholarships

Not in any way am I trying to brag about myself, but seriously I had only thought about DO school but should I try MD as well?

I am NOT retaking the mcat! I've taken it twice already.

oh yeah.... Also, I am Latino American
What was your first score? What state do you live in

Okay I have never done this but I could use some advice. My intention is to apply to a D.O. school with my 504 MCAT. But does anyone think I might have a chance at a low tier allopathic school? This is what I bring to the table,

2) three years of medicinal chem. research- one publication and numerous presentations with the ACS.
3)>100 hrs shadowing
7) current job---patient data analysis at a local Lyme clinic
8) secured LOR----chief of infectious disease and vice president of medicine at my local hospital

Not in any way am I trying to brag about myself, but seriously I had only thought about DO school but should I try MD as well?

it may depend on your state. 1st gen. college student?

3)>100 hrs shadowing
7) current job---patient data analyst at a local Lyme clinic

Based on rough estimates from the AAMC, according to fact table A-23 you have maybe a 25-30% chance of getting in somewhere. You would need to apply broadly and to schools where you fit their mission. Also just because you are Latino, does not mean you are URM, and will depend on the area of the school. You'll need to look into which schools you should apply to where you'll be considered URM and have a better chance.

Anyone really familiar with this new scoring process can tell me if a 499 is a bad score, or if there's hope?