Official August 27th 2014 MCAT Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HaitianMD

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I might as well get one started. I'm taking it in August but prepping now! Haven't seen my Sciences in YEARS so I'm starting early. Join as you will.

Members don't see this ad.

I am registered for August 27th as well. Rescheduled from 08/07 :) Might reschedule again, but I will really try to take it in August.
My prereqs are a few years old, my English is a second language, and I work 40+ hrs per week... So, a couple of challenges here :)
Good luck to everybody! We can do this!

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hey all I am signed up for this one for good! I think I'll be following the sn2 three month schedule, except using tpr hyperlearning for biology review, also using tpr science workbook for additional passages

Hey all I am signed up for this one for good! I think I'll be following the sn2 three month schedule, except using tpr hyperlearning for biology review, also using tpr science workbook for additional passages
I'm going for the 3mo schedule, spaced out over 4mo so that I can have break days where I go to work for 12hrs.
Second time through I will read TPRH and maybe throw in Chad's instead of re-reading the same chapters.
Haven't decided how I'm doing Bio yet...but I do also have the Sci workbook if I need more passages!

Alright peoplez, I'm getting the ball rolling here.
Setup my study calendar...well, sort of. I'm not doing a fixed schedule as I have too many other non-routine commitments. So instead, I pulled all 80 blocks out of the SN2ed schedule (81 cuz I'm using TBR Bio, not EK) and put a countdown on my wall: As of right now I have 125 days until the MCAT, 81 study blocks to finish, and 44 break days to distribute as I see fit. Should be doable (I hope)!

Anyway, I also threw in my first VR passages tonight. I'm a little iffy. Honestly, I'm not really sure what counts as 'good' on these. What should I be aiming for?
I'm not concerned on timing - I finished all 3 passages in under 10min total. However, my scores...one of them I missed two, the next THREE, and the last one zero, which helped. I don't even know if that's a good start or a 'meh' one. I was probably rushing a bit, as I'd heard timing was an issue, but it didn't really feel like it. I'll review them in the AM and see if there are any easily-fixable issues there.

Anyone else getting started this early? Also, I'm planning to Anki as I go, might be open to some collaboration once things are in full swing.

I think, missing two or three on verbal (in the beginning) is fine. I started with 4-5, lol, but I am an ESL also. Now I usually miss 2-3. When I get all of them correct, I am ecstatic!

Same here!
Second time taking MCAT. ESL and did not register yet. I want to be comfortable with my practice scores first. Also, I work and have two beautiful kids.

We can do this!

Same here!
Second time taking MCAT. ESL and did not register yet. I want to be comfortable with my practice scores first. Also, I work and have two beautiful kids.

We can do this!
If you hit 'Reply' in the bottom right it'll be easier to follow your conversation/train of thought...right now it's unclear who you're responding to!
I'm trying to cut back at work for this marathon...well, I'm trying to cut back at my fulltime job and axe one of my 2 parttime jobs. I don't think I'll be taking any classes this summer, though, so that helps.

If you hit 'Reply' in the bottom right it'll be easier to follow your conversation/train of thought...right now it's unclear who you're responding to!
I'm trying to cut back at work for this marathon...well, I'm trying to cut back at my fulltime job and axe one of my 2 parttime jobs. I don't think I'll be taking any classes this summer, though, so that helps.

Yes, Sorry I did not hit replay. It was just a general comment I made.

Definitely not having commitment for class will help. Also, If you have taken some of the MCAT subjects recently, you will not waste much time trying to go over content is so much detail.

I am going to use questions to kind of lead me to review subject instead of starting straight from reading content. That helps me retain knowledge.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am registered for August 27th as well. Rescheduled from 08/07 :) Might reschedule again, but I will really try to take it in August.
My prereqs are a few years old, my English is a second language, and I work 40+ hrs per week... So, a couple of challenges here :)
Good luck to everybody! We can do this!

Yes we can!
I am ESL also. Believe me we will do great, if we put our time and effort to it.

Good luck

Yes, Sorry I did not hit replay. It was just a general comment I made.

Definitely not having commitment for class will help. Also, If you have taken some of the MCAT subjects recently, you will not waste much time trying to go over content is so much detail.

I am going to use questions to kind of lead me to review subject instead of starting straight from reading content. That helps me retain knowledge.
As I said, I'm trying to hit up the SN2ed schedule, though the review is less about reading the material for me, and more about going through my Anki deck in a structured way to ensure that I have sufficient flashcard coverage of everything.

I also signed up for August 27th. As with 2 or 3 others on this thread, I'm also ESL. But I don't have any kids and have only a part time job which I'm contemplating about quitting, and I'm financially stable so less stress for me during this SN2ed 3 months stretch. I think BIO is gonna be my biggest challenge, I have not seen any of it for a really long time now. Good luck to us all.

Does any one know how to push the SN2ed schedule to the current date on google calendar? I am having trouble moving it to this month. Thanks

Does any one know how to push the SN2ed schedule to the current date on google calendar? I am having trouble moving it to this month. Thanks
Borrow a Mac
Download CaliBrate
It works wonderfully.

Alternatively, do what I did and just add each 'block' as a Task in gmail...I use the app Business Calendar on android, which is an awesome calendar program, by the way, far superior to the built-in ones, and it has a Tasks add-on that works really well. One daily repeating task for Verbal, and the rest are just scheduled in with their due dates. My app is set up to only show me this week's.

I found that the Task format was better than the calendar one, as everyone takes a different amount of time for each thing and the timing is more flexible that way. Plus, if you miss it, it stays on your to-do list instead of getting buried.

Borrow a Mac
Download CaliBrate
It works wonderfully.

Alternatively, do what I did and just add each 'block' as a Task in gmail...I use the app Business Calendar on android, which is an awesome calendar program, by the way, far superior to the built-in ones, and it has a Tasks add-on that works really well. One daily repeating task for Verbal, and the rest are just scheduled in with their due dates. My app is set up to only show me this week's.

I found that the Task format was better than the calendar one, as everyone takes a different amount of time for each thing and the timing is more flexible that way. Plus, if you miss it, it stays on your to-do list instead of getting buried.

Thank you! I was able to figure out CaliBrate and it does work great!

Ugh, I'm getting frustrated on some of these early SN2ed blocks where I am just straight-up missing questions because my content review in OTHER subjects isn't done yet. Missed a crap-ton on a single Bio passage because I haven't reviewed pKas yet...which are in chem, which I haven't even reviewed at all! Oh well, I guess that's why scores improve as you review. Still, I'm not used to tanking standardized tests, even in practice.

Hey, I've decided not to take the MCAT and I have all my books to sell. I literally have everything you need for SN2ed. All TBR, TPR, EK, 35 different FL's from all the companies, and so much more. Email me at: [email protected]. If you guys wanna buy it. Good luck to all of you! edit

Last edited:
I am just getting books/materials sorted. But i noticed on the calendar that you review the previous days mistakes, does that work for you guys? I guess you don't have to follow the schedule word by word, but just wondering. And please tell me getting 3-4 wrong on a verbal passage your first time is not the end all ... :(

I am just getting books/materials sorted. But i noticed on the calendar that you review the previous days mistakes, does that work for you guys? I guess you don't have to follow the schedule word by word, but just wondering. And please tell me getting 3-4 wrong on a verbal passage your first time is not the end all ... :(
I'm not following the day-to-day aspect of it, so I mix it up a bit on review times...if I know I'll be taking the next 3d off for work or if it's getting late and I have time to get that done, but not another block, I'll do it day-of. The important thing is just to give yourself some space from it. If you do it same-day, put a few hours and a different activity between them.

I actually don't review the next day anymore. It didn't work for me. I find it to be more beneficial to review right after I did the passage because the material is fresh in my head. I don't review verbal on the next day either because then I forget the passage. But the main thing is to find something that works for YOU.
It's hard to comment for me on verbal... I did get 3-4 wrong when I started. Sometimes I got 5 wrong :( But I am an ESL. I am sure, it's huge factor here.

Member of August 27th crew checking in.

Some Humpday motivation:

Good luck everyone!

Reactions: 2 users
does content review for like one chapter of br take people 5+ hours like it does me, maybe because i remember nothing and write a lot

Crooks checking in ... Just about to finish finals and then taking this weekend to relax before I start the plunge into full on MCAT study mode. Best of luck to us all.

I'm getting so far behind on my study plan it's unreal.
It's just too damn hot right now!

Yeah I had to cough up a extra 65$ to reschedule my MCAT from the 08/01 to 08/27 since I got a little behind from ordering the EK/TBR/ and TPR-H Verbal Books.

Also mehc012 are you also going to be working part time while studying for the MCAT?
I currently am, but I took a month off August.

Yeah I had to cough up a extra 65$ to reschedule my MCAT from the 08/01 to 08/27 since I got a little behind from ordering the EK/TBR/ and TPR-H Verbal Books.

Also mehc012 are you also going to be working part time while studying for the MCAT?
I currently am, but I took a month off August.
I'm working fulltime :/
24hr/wk scribing (well, 30 with all the commuting) and 20hr/wk at a biotech company.

8/27 taker here, utilizing sn2ed. Best of luck to everyone. Just finished finals so gonna start probably 5/22 or 5/23 to leave myself 95 days. Some of you started way out…gunners:p lol. Good luck to everyone!

Reactions: 1 user
8/27 taker here, utilizing sn2ed. Best of luck to everyone. Just finished finals so gonna start probably 5/22 or 5/23 to leave myself 95 days. Some of you started way out…gunners:p lol. Good luck to everyone!
Actually I'm starting around the 20th . I just started early to buy used books. Word of advice, if any of you haven't gotten certain books, check craigslist. I got lucky and found a bunch of some one who posted their craigslist ad 20 days ago. Apparently people don't check craigslist, those same books were going for 150-200$/set on eBay and Amazon and I got them for 100$ in total.

I still need to get the TBR books, I have some but not all of them.

Reactions: 1 user
That's intense, good luck!
It's a huge step back from where I was last month, so it feels like a mini-vacation!
Previously I was doing 36-40hrs scribing, 15-20hrs biotech, 2 science courses, and volunteering at a children's hospital each week. Now I do half the amount of scribing, no classes, and no volunteering!
Sadly, I think I was a bit burnt out from before, so I'm doing too many 'No MCAT studying' days as well...

It's a huge step back from where I was last month, so it feels like a mini-vacation!
Previously I was doing 36-40hrs scribing, 15-20hrs biotech, 2 science courses, and volunteering at a children's hospital each week. Now I do half the amount of scribing, no classes, and no volunteering!
Sadly, I think I was a bit burnt out from before, so I'm doing too many 'No MCAT studying' days as well...
That's awesome how can you can handle all that , med school is going to be such a relief where all you really have to do is study and maybe some research if your going to go into competitive specialties.

That's awesome how can you can handle all that , med school is going to be such a relief where all you really have to do is study and maybe some research if your going to go into competitive specialties.
Well, I completely fell apart in college, so this is my chance to prove myself.
I'm a creature of momentum...if I don't keep myself as busy as possible, I procrastinate myself into oblivion!
Thanks for the vote of confidence, though!

I'm a creature of momentum...if I don't keep myself as busy as possible, I procrastinate myself into oblivion!

Hehe, I am the same way!

I am thinking about rescheduling my 08/27 test.... Don't know. We'll see...

Hey hey! Joining you guys...another 8/27 taker here. I just finished finals yesterday, so I'm gonna organize crap this weekend and start studying Monday. Using sn2 schedule as well...AHHHHHHH!

Hey hey! Joining you guys...another 8/27 taker here. I just finished finals yesterday, so I'm gonna organize crap this weekend and start studying Monday. Using sn2 schedule as well...AHHHHHHH!
Good luck man!

Update: Just got all my books for my prep as well as all the practice tests I could find for free printed out. Going to export the .ical file to my outlook and should be ready to go Monday! Hope everyone had a good weekend.

Anyone else starting Sn2ed today?
I officially start on the 23rd , however I started verbal strategy book today since that isn't actually integrated into the schedule. The small book called "Verbal Reasoning & mathematical Techniques" by EK . It lays down the foundation of the verbal strategy. I've found it great so far, and going to be using this strategy on the 2-3 verbal passages I do daily before starting SN2 for the day. It overlaps withVihsadas's Guide on Verbal.

Was wondering if any one else is using EK Lecture books along with the BR books for all subjects?

If your solely using EK, EK suggests you read the Lecture 3 times / lecture. The lectures aren't very long at all, so I came up with a plan.

Since SN2ed is only using BR books for lecture (excluding bio) and I am using both, I'm going to go ahead and:

-1.Read EK Lecture without taking notes or anything, just reading it as if I was reading before any lecture in school
-2.Spent the most of the day on the long BR lectures and review passages + practice passages
-3.Read EK lecture again, but this time to cover things BR left out or didn't emphasize as much and input into flashcards any things EK states need to be memorized.

One thing I've noticed is that EK does a really good job at making sure you know exactly what you really really really need to know, memorize, and background intuition information.

Would appreciate any input or suggestions from anyone who is also using multiple books for their prep.

Was wondering if any one else is using EK Lecture books along with the BR books for all subjects?

If your solely using EK, EK suggests you read the Lecture 3 times / lecture. The lectures aren't very long at all, so I came up with a plan.

Since SN2ed is only using BR books for lecture (excluding bio) and I am using both, I'm going to go ahead and:

-1.Read EK Lecture without taking notes or anything, just reading it as if I was reading before any lecture in school
-2.Spent the most of the day on the long BR lectures and review passages + practice passages
-3.Read EK lecture again, but this time to cover things BR left out or didn't emphasize as much and input into flashcards any things EK states need to be memorized.

One thing I've noticed is that EK does a really good job at making sure you know exactly what you really really really need to know, memorize, and background intuition information.

Would appreciate any input or suggestions from anyone who is also using multiple books for their prep.
I'm doing BR and TPRH...instead of rereading the BR chapters, I simply read the TPRH ones the second time. My prep goes like this for each chapter:

Read BR and make Anki cards
Do first 1/3 of passages
Review passages, turn questions that I missed purely on content (or missing a trick wording) into Anki cards
Read TPRH, anything new I see ->Anki
Do EK101, turn most missed questions into Anki cards
Do second 1/3 of BR questions

I'm doing BR and TPRH...instead of rereading the BR chapters, I simply read the TPRH ones the second time. My prep goes like this for each chapter:

Read BR and make Anki cards
Do first 1/3 of passages
Review passages, turn questions that I missed purely on content (or missing a trick wording) into Anki cards
Read TPRH, anything new I see ->Anki
Do EK101, turn most missed questions into Anki cards
Do second 1/3 of BR questions
Yeah that seems similar to what I'm doing except I don't have TPRH so I'm using EK. Btw you mean EK 1001, right? Also you do two sets of 1/3 Br passages a day + Ek1001 (every 1/3)? (I'm guessing you do this because of your schedule you compacted day 7 into each day instead so it frees up a day, since day 7 on Sn2d is devoted to second third of all BR passages)

Last edited: