Official August 27th 2014 MCAT Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HaitianMD

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I might as well get one started. I'm taking it in August but prepping now! Haven't seen my Sciences in YEARS so I'm starting early. Join as you will.

Members don't see this ad.

A lot of people in the August 15th thread were disappointed with their scores. I'm getting even more nervous now...
Yeah I noticed this to , however I'm keeping my mind off because I got a genetics exam in a week. Anyone else taking genetics, damn this **** is annoying...I miss ochem.

Submitting applications and paying hundreds and hundreds of dollars without knowing your MCAT score sucks. Praying for a 12/9/12 here but ready to see an 8 in VR to be honest. FML. +pity+

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
August 15th thread is making me wonder if i should sign up for a potential retake, since seats are filling up and a lot of people seem to be getting well below their practice scores

August 15th thread is making me wonder if i should sign up for a potential retake, since seats are filling up and a lot of people seem to be getting well below their practice scores
Nah, hold strong, my friend!

Also, trial section scores tomorrow!

Reactions: 1 users
Submitting applications and paying hundreds and hundreds of dollars without knowing your MCAT score sucks. Praying for a 12/9/12 here but ready to see an 8 in VR to be honest. FML. +pity+

I am an Ontario resident and an August 15th taker retaking today - so I know exactly what you mean. Submitting my application with no Idea what my MCAT score is knowing I may be wasting close to a thousand dollars...c'est la vie I suppose.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just got my amazon card via email. trial section was awful on the mcat but it says I got in the top half... I would HATE to take that 2015 version... I am signed up just in case for our mcat again in January before it changes. now.... on to amazon! it a tiny reward... I'd give them their card back and some cash to find out my score now!

Just got my amazon card via email. trial section was awful on the mcat but it says I got in the top half... I would HATE to take that 2015 version... I am signed up just in case for our mcat again in January before it changes. now.... on to amazon! it a tiny reward... I'd give them their card back and some cash to find out my score now!
Word...it was miserable. I mean, it wasn't difficult, per se, but it was exhausting and time consuming. I scored better than I would have thought on it, but I've seen people report that they were classed 'top quarter' for everything from mid 40s to mid 80s percent-wise, so I'm not sure how much it means. Ah, well...I'll just take it as 'if I could get this % on a section I didn't study for and which I was mostly phoning it in on, which was taken AFTER the exhausting first 3 parts, I probably did at least that well on the ones before it!' :xf:

rofl finished the trial section in about 20 mins and guessed on most of them... "top quarter"

the weird thing is, the closer sept 30th gets the less I care. i've already resigned myself to a retake and have started studying for the Jan mcat
Exactly...are they seriously going to base the upcoming scale on our 'eh, whatever' performances? I've seriously seen a 'top quarter' email for a score of 40-something%. That's a completely different ball game than the current scale.

I gave the trial section a good try. I did terrible but scored the top quarter. It really means nothing because people who actually take the exam would bump up the average.

These sections are taken without studying. My guess is they will take the top "25%" range and make that the top 50%. They don't make an exam based on people not studying for it.

I gave the trial section a good try. I did terrible but scored the top quarter. It really means nothing because people who actually take the exam would bump up the average.
Right, but that would mean they'd have to curve, not average it, at the beginning.

I gave it a fair shake at first, then got tired and started pushing through quickly...ended up scoring ~10% lower than my FL and SA percentages, which I'm not too unhappy with. It was 8x more miserable than the MCAT passages, though. I felt worse after half-arsedly attempting the trial section than from all 3 other sections combined, even though I didn't have to study for it, didn't care what I got, etc. They were just exhausting passages.

rofl finished the trial section in about 20 mins and guessed on most of them... "top quarter"

the weird thing is, the closer sept 30th gets the less I care. i've already resigned myself to a retake and have started studying for the Jan mcat

I feel the same way, lol didn't take the break and maybe read half the passages.. looked at it, used some word association/common sense and just let it ride! Just wanted that gift card. I can't decide if I should start studying mcat again now, or wait 2 weeks and make a decision then... decisions decisions

Oh dear... I hope the trial section doesn't reflect how we actually did on the test...
I'll leave the number out of it, as you edited, but the number which was previously in this post would be at least a 10 anyway on the BS section (which I figure is most analogous to the trial one). That's without studying. So even if it reflects the real deal, you'd end up a few points above that, which is a good place to be!

Guys, on the trial section, I got 55 +/- 3% correct, and scored in the top quarter. How did you all do? What percent gets you in the top quarter?

Last edited:
August 15th test taker here. I know some of you are discouraged after reading our thread as was I after reading August 7th thread. I think we tend to pay attention to bad information more often than the good. I felt absolutely horrible after the test but still got my aamc average.

Reactions: 1 users
Oh dear... I hope the trial section doesn't reflect how we actually did on the test...

Don't worry, it doesn't. My friend got only 40 percent correct on the trial (which he said was sociology/psychology) and he ended up getting a 35 on the exam

Really? That's incredible... Like, what the heck. Haha
:shrug: we all got different passages for this part. I got lucky on the biochem part, I suppose...it didn't really require any outside knowledge, it was just a little alphabet-soup for my post-MCAT frame of mind.

I think it's pointless to make comparisons or correlations between the trial section and the actual MCAT, because for the MCAT you've actually taken those courses in school and studied extensively; for the trial section, I had no idea what was going on for any of the questions, seeing as how I've never taken any psychology courses. Also, it's important to note that on any day you could have an abnormally good guessing day, or an abnormally bad one.

Anyone here had psychology for their trial? I got in bottom half lol i feel bad for myself

Anyone here had psychology for their trial? I got in bottom half lol i feel bad for myself
LOL, same here. So depressing. Seems reminiscent about how I feel about verbal. Shouldn't have read it. Would have preferred something more telling, like Biochemistry. I haven't taken a single psych course.

Divide your trial percentage by 100 and multiply by 15 for your verbal score. :) God forbid... lol

LOL, same here. So depressing. Seems reminiscent about how I feel about verbal. Shouldn't have read it. Would have preferred something more telling, like Biochemistry. I haven't taken a single psych course.

Divide your trial percentage by 100 and multiply by 15 for your verbal score. :) God forbid... lol

Haha I agree man. I got 30 something percent and was in bottom half lol ... I tried

I think it's pointless to make comparisons or correlations between the trial section and the actual MCAT, because for the MCAT you've actually taken those courses in school and studied extensively; for the trial section, I had no idea what was going on for any of the questions, seeing as how I've never taken any psychology courses. Also, it's important to note that on any day you could have an abnormally good guessing day, or an abnormally bad one.
Ah yes, but it passes the time and gives us something to focus on other than 'omg why do they take so long to give me my mcat score' :laugh:

I had psychology too and I got bottom half.
I felt really terrible and dumb.
I have taken 2 introductory psychology courses in uni like 7-6 years back.
But still just 28% score is pathetic.
honestly I thought the trial section was alot like verbal -- just a few specifics not much.
especially after seeing trial score results.. I've kind of given up on my MCAT score. I feel I must have gotten a 2 in verbal. at max a 6?
I feel now that maybe I am not cut out for med.
sorry I'm just a bit depressed these days.
Kind of under-performing in my work as well. I'm going thru bad times.
dont know why there is so much negative energy around me...

honestly I thought the trial section was alot like verbal -- just a few specifics not much.
especially after seeing trial score results.. I've kind of given up on my MCAT score. I feel I must have gotten a 2 in verbal. at max a 6?
dont know why there is so much negative energy me...

Don't let the results of your trial section freak you out. The best predictor of your actual score is your aamc average. Yes people do score below their average, but most of the time people score right around their average +/- 2 points

Don't let the results of your trial section freak you out. The best predictor of your actual score is your aamc average. Yes people do score below their average, but most of the time people score right around their average +/- 2 points

my aamc average wasn't high to begin with.
it was in high 20s.
Maybe I am very stupid to expect a score of 30+ on the test day after having such poor scores.

my aamc average wasn't high to begin with.
it was in high 20s.
Maybe I am very stupid to expect a score of 30+ on the test day after having such poor scores.

heard of a crazy story recently about one of my friend's friend at school. He was averaging mid 20s and got a mid 30 on his MCAT. May have been a fluke but still if that fluke goes in your favor? Yesssssss:soexcited:

Yeah for those of you worrying about correlation of trial scores to actual scores, I got a 28% (bottom half) on my trial section :laugh: (really evil looking biochem) and still scored a 35 so I'm pretty sure there's no relationship

heard of a crazy story recently about one of my friend's friend at school. He was averaging mid 20s and got a mid 30 on his MCAT. May have been a fluke but still if that fluke goes in your favor? Yesssssss:soexcited:

thank you for commenting and letting me have a gooood laugh :)

Took the psychology trial section for the 9/18 MCAT (yes, today).

I absolutely failed it. I'll be lucky to break 50%.

Don't give up now! Thats why they design pre med programs to be so vigorous. They want to weed out the people that aren't devoted enough to be a physician. You don't have to be a genius to get in. Just keep working hard. If this MCAT doesn't go well, just do it again! Your resilience will pay off. Good luck!

I hear you man.. I am in the exact same situation.. will stay in touch .. hope all goes well.

I'm becoming so impatient!!
seriously if I had known my score now it wud have been so much easier --- i wud have exactly known which schools I cud qualify to apply for and which not. Maybe I wudnt have to apply for any schools due to my CRAP mcat score?
ahhhh i pray that doesnt happen
the wait is killing me :vomit:

I know this wait sucks, thankfully I have a lot on my plate this semester so I don't have much time to think about it. Have two exams next week and another the following Tuesday when our scores are (hopefully) released, so I'll be too busy between now and the 30th to think much about it

Lol I'm not anxious to see my MCAT anymore... Don't really care if I do badly or if I do well. I'm done with this idiotic system that takes 1 month to report your scores. Is there no common sense at the people working at AAMC? So many weird things, like taking a month to report a computerized multiple choice test or rewriting the entire MCAT to make it worse or their God awful website design or their system where all of your practice tests and scores are on different websites
Or how they can't manage to put the damn score in the overview page...I mean, really, I dgaf what my % score was on the AAMCs, I want my calculated score with breakdown. And I DO care what my % score was on the SAs, because they only give that much info, but of course, they don't bother displaying it for those!

And thanks, AAMC, for hamstringing the SAs so that they can only be used in the manner which you designed them, and not as realistic practice passages over a long period.