Official August 27th 2014 MCAT Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HaitianMD

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I might as well get one started. I'm taking it in August but prepping now! Haven't seen my Sciences in YEARS so I'm starting early. Join as you will.

Members don't see this ad.

Yeah that seems similar to what I'm doing except I don't have TPRH so I'm using EK. Btw you mean EK 1001, right? Also You do two sets of 1/3 Br passages a day + Ek1001 (every 1/3)?

edit:currently my new cards interval is at 30, I didn't bother changing it to anymore. Did you do the same?
No, that's just an overview of how I'm tackling each chapter. I'm following the SN2ed schedule, so those steps are not continuous - there's other stuff in the way - and I'm working fulltime, so I have many days where I work and don't study, as well as many where I crank through multiple SN2ed 'days'.

No, that's just an overview of how I'm tackling each chapter. I'm following the SN2ed schedule, so those steps are not continuous - there's other stuff in the way - and I'm working fulltime, so I have many days where I work and don't study, as well as many where I crank through multiple SN2ed 'days'.
Ah ok , yeah I just edited my post to reflect that and you answered . keep husslin cuz'

Ah ok , yeah I just edited my post to reflect that and you answered . keep husslin cuz'
I can crank out 2-3 chapters of review (read, make cards, 1st 1/3 of BR passages) in a day, but I'm starting to falter at reviewing 5-6chapters AND EK 1001 and more passages. I think it's that I've been doing 'meh' on the passages so far (75-80%) and I'm skittish of actually doing the second 1/3 where I'm supposed to know things.

Members don't see this ad :)
Got my hands on the TPR-Hyperlearning Science workbook and have to say I really the questions and passages (more practice the better!). Doing a mix of TBR/TPR/EK1001 currently for subjects. Just posting as an update, hope everyone is working hard at studying!

Hello all, this is my very first post, Yayyy me!!! ;) I want to thank everyone for their contribution and giving me ideas to enhance my prep.
I'm using the 3 month sn2 schedule, well i was planning to use the 4 month schedule but like most pre-med students i'm a professional procrastinator.
So i just used that time to become an SDN creeper and lurk the various threads looking for top-notch MCAT tips.

Hey you guys think we'll be able to sign up for another mcat test date after ours is over or will it be too hard since I'm sure a lot of people are trying to take the mcat before the change. I was thinking about signing up for a Jan one as insurance (praying don't need to retake it). What do you guys think?

What's everyone's study schedule like? I'm almost done with content review, have 2 chapters and physics an bio left and then gonna start orgo next month. I start doing research full time which is definitely will seriously cut into my study tie but I should have like 9 weeeks for straight up practice

hey guys, im following SN2ed started on friday, im finding trouble olving the BR passages under 7 minutes as reaing the passages alone is taking me about 3-4 minutes, do you recommend i solve the first 1/3 of the passages without being timed to get the hang out of them or will I risking some timing problems in the future ?

What's everyone's study schedule like? I'm almost done with content review, have 2 chapters and physics an bio left and then gonna start orgo next month. I start doing research full time which is definitely will seriously cut into my study tie but I should have like 9 weeeks for straight up practice
Following Sn2, you got plenty of time for practice if you're almost done with content and you're taking it on August 27th.

hey guys, im following SN2ed started on friday, im finding trouble olving the BR passages under 7 minutes as reaing the passages alone is taking me about 3-4 minutes, do you recommend i solve the first 1/3 of the passages without being timed to get the hang out of them or will I risking some timing problems in the future ?
I give myself 8 minute's to do the TBR passages, and then the second 1/3 a few days later according to SN2 I give myself 7 minutes...

Question for you guys: What score table are you guys using to grade your Verbal passages ? (I usually convert them to a % and then compare it to AAMC FL 10 Verbal , anyone else use something different?)

Question for you guys: What score table are you guys using to grade your Verbal passages ? (I usually convert them to a % and then compare it to AAMC FL 10 Verbal , anyone else use something different?)

Honesty I don't even bother trying to convert them to a grade; just do a lot of practice and review the questions when you're done to see if there's a pattern in which questions you tend to get wrong. What book(s) are you using for verbal practice?

Honesty I don't even bother trying to convert them to a grade; just do a lot of practice and review the questions when you're done to see if there's a pattern in which questions you tend to get wrong. What book(s) are you using for verbal practice?
TPR-H verbal currently. I also have EK101 Verbal and Kaplan Verbal passages , however I've heard that EK101 is no where close to how the AAMC verbal passages are. That's why I'm doing TPR-H Verbal right now, and when I run out passages I'll go to EK or kaplan. I also have all the AAMC FL's which I will use according to SN2 schedule

Anyone else getting mixed feelings about Ek bio and BR passages ? on most passages I am getting 2 questions wrong, those mostly being some weird ass info Ek did'nt cover and I recall taking them in biochem or physiology courses for example, on other passages for example the Beta-oxidation passage in section 8 just crushed me big time. Am I missing something here ?

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone else getting mixed feelings about Ek bio and BR passages ? on most passages I am getting 2 questions wrong, those mostly being some weird ass info Ek did'nt cover and I recall taking them in biochem or physiology courses for example, on other passages for example the Beta-oxidation passage in section 8 just crushed me big time. Am I missing something here ?
I just decided to do TBR reading with TBR passages. Otherwise it seemed silly. I keep EK Bio and TPRH around and read those on my 'reread' days, and I use EK bio passages instead of EK 1001 Bio Qs (which are bad).

I just decided to do TBR reading with TBR passages. Otherwise it seemed silly. I keep EK Bio and TPRH around and read those on my 'reread' days, and I use EK bio passages instead of EK 1001 Bio Qs (which are bad).

Why do you think the EK 1001 bio book is bad?

How is all my fellow 8/27 takers doing with their prep? Currently on day 8 of sn2ed, damn keeping to this schedule takes some serious time! Anyone else feel it takes an exorbitant amount of time to stick to this schedule ??:smack: I have already given up on reread days…since I take notes, make outlines as I go thru the texts I just re-read those--re-reading the chapters all in one day….haha no way . How is everyone else doing?? We got this!:)

Reactions: 1 user
Why do you think the EK 1001 bio book is bad?
Many threads have addressed this issue + SN2 (the schedule I am following doesn't recommend since its far from the style of the MCAT.

How is all my fellow 8/27 takers doing with their prep? Currently on day 8 of sn2ed, damn keeping to this schedule takes some serious time! Anyone else feel it takes an exorbitant amount of time to stick to this schedule ??:smack: I have already given up on reread days…since I take notes, make outlines as I go thru the texts I just re-read those--re-reading the chapters all in one day….haha no way . How is everyone else doing?? We got this!:)
Re-read days are killers, figured out that I read summaries and stuff that are vague i just go back to BR.

Hi guys, I also am taking my MCAT on the 27th. I am almost two weeks into the SN2ED schedule; it's hard to keep up with!
Re-read days are killers, figured out that I read summaries and stuff that are vague i just go back to BR.
I've been creating flashcards with anki, and doing flashcards on reread days. Anyone else doing this?

Hi guys, I also am taking my MCAT on the 27th. I am almost two weeks into the SN2ED schedule; it's hard to keep up with!

I've been creating flashcards with anki, and doing flashcards on reread days. Anyone else doing this?
Yup, I'm anki'ing the whole deal. I do them daily, though, not just on reread days.
On reread days I will read TPRH and make a few extra cards for anything which wasn't in TBR.
When I do EK1001, I do 2 related problems for any that I miss, and if I miss those too, or if it was a really good trick/concept question, I'll just turn the EK question into an Anki card (minus the multiple choice part...I don't do MC flashcards).

Yup, I'm anki'ing the whole deal. I do them daily, though, not just on reread days.
On reread days I will read TPRH and make a few extra cards for anything which wasn't in TBR.
When I do EK1001, I do 2 related problems for any that I miss, and if I miss those too, or if it was a really good trick/concept question, I'll just turn the EK question into an Anki card (minus the multiple choice part...I don't do MC flashcards).
Yesterday I was wondering if I ought to do flaschards everyday; I can hardly finish them all in one day! I will probably be following your method starting this week.

Yesterday I was wondering if I ought to do flaschards everyday; I can hardly finish them all in one day! I will probably be following your method starting this week.
You don't need to finish them all. Set up your intervals so that you have a reasonable daily load and you'll be golden!

Really pissed at EK because this last verbal set would have been my best ever (1q wrong in 3 passages) except for one particular question which, in my mind, wins for the Worst. Phrased. Question. Ever.
Seriously, I don't even feel bad for missing it, because it's terrible. Anyone who's gotten over halfway through EK 101's second practice exam probably knows exactly which question I'm angry about.

so hard to stay focused, I am about 2 weeks in, and the re-read days are so rough like seriously, i actually re-read everything, I think I have to take better notes so I can just review that instead of re-reading everything.

so hard to stay focused, I am about 2 weeks in, and the re-read days are so rough like seriously, i actually re-read everything, I think I have to take better notes so I can just review that instead of re-reading everything.
It's funny, because everyone keeps saying that, but the reread days are my 'off' days.
Reading (without making flashcards) or doing passages = quick
Reviewing them and/or taking notes on a chapter = painful and slow.

If we combined our brains we'd be set, just sayin'!

Usually the EK books are just refresheers for people who already have prior knowledge on those topics. I got wrecked on the EK organic lecture exams :/

I agree with the above posts about reading efficiently and anki on re read days so you can maximize amount of practice . The going over , post game analysis, is the main struggle since it takes a considerable amount of time the day after.

Side note, but Gen Chem Ch2 is really freaking long. It's also full of things which are frustrating to Anki.

I really need to get onto this Anki thing, seeing it everywhere, is it more helpful than quizlet/ just using real notecards

Side note, but Gen Chem Ch2 is really freaking long. It's also full of things which are frustrating to Anki.

I just discovered anki after reading your earlier post about it. After looking it up I saw that there is an iphone app for it, have you used that or are you familiar with it? It cost $25 so i want to make sure its worth it before i pay that kinda money for an app. Also, (and anyone could answer this) what kind of info should i be using to make the flashcards? terms and definitions, Q&A, discretes. I've never used flashcards before, they always seemed like a waste of time but considering i have the next two months with nothing to do but MCAT i figure why not. I just want to make sure i'm being as efficient as possible when using them.

I just discovered anki after reading your earlier post about it. After looking it up I saw that there is an iphone app for it, have you used that or are you familiar with it? It cost $25 so i want to make sure its worth it before i pay that kinda money for an app. Also, (and anyone could answer this) what kind of info should i be using to make the flashcards? terms and definitions, Q&A, discretes. I've never used flashcards before, they always seemed like a waste of time but considering i have the next two months with nothing to do but MCAT i figure why not. I just want to make sure i'm being as efficient as possible when using them.
I put things that I can't figure or using logic in an Ainki card, e.g. where calcitonin is secreted. I use it for formulas as well, but obviously the best way to engender those is through practice

Personally, I would start with the computer version. That is absolutely free and FAR more powerful. If you find yourself using Anki frequently on the computer, and it is working for you, and you want to be able to review on the go, then bite the bullet and pay for the app. I have Android, so it was free for me, but I did eventually purchase it for my iPad as well. I think of it as buying the computer program/database space for syncing, rather than an app, and that helps to put it in context.

I put EVERYTHING into Anki. I do not study in any other way (other than practice problems, obvi).
Equations, formulas, concepts, trick questions that I encounter, trick questions I make up myself (the process of thinking these up is very helpful in learning), and, my fav for Physics. "Given these variables, which equation would you use to find this?"

You will NOT be the most efficient when you start out. You just won't. I, for example, recently discovered Cloze cards, which have completely overhauled my card-making mechanisms.
That's OK, though. First, never be afraid to stop and adjust your cards as you encounter them, during review. Don't just rely on your memory to eventually teach you the answer to that terribly-worded question...the whole point is to remember useful things, not to fill your head with more crap. Stop and take the time to make the cards RIGHT as soon as they enter your review pile - trust your instinct when the wording feels off to you or you feel that you simply put too much on a single card.
Also, as long as you tag thoroughly whenever you make cards, you will be able to go back and redo them, which doubles as its own form of review.

I just finished 2 TBR Chem (2 and 3) chapters today. To be fair, I did half of the reading for Ch2 yesterday (but it was 2x as long as Ch3, so I'm still counting it as a double day), but I did all of the passages today. I got my best TBR scores ever on those 2 :soexcited:, thankfully outweighing my abysmal Bio Ch3 score.

That plus Verbal, plus a full Anki catch-up. Also cooking and finishing odds and ends for my job, despite being off. 'twas a good day!

I just finished 2 TBR Chem (2 and 3) chapters today. To be fair, I did half of the reading for Ch2 yesterday (but it was 2x as long as Ch3, so I'm still counting it as a double day), but I did all of the passages today. I got my best TBR scores ever on those 2 :soexcited:, thankfully outweighing my abysmal Bio Ch3 score.

That plus Verbal, plus a full Anki catch-up. Also cooking and finishing odds and ends for my job, despite being off. 'twas a good day!
Awesome!

About to read up on a physicians preference guide since hospital hired new doctors. Read TBR Ochem and off to scribe . Stay on the grind everyone !

I am so glad that I found this thread. Nice to meet you all. I am taking the 1:00PM one. I live in a part of NY state where there's a lot of mountains and hardly any people. So, studying for the mcat has made me lonely and made studying that much of a struggle. I hope to contribute to this post often, and bring encouragement as much as possible. I hope that all of us in this forum will pass the MCAT with flying colors. I am also doing the SN2ed 3 month schedule as some of you all are (though I'm a few days behind and I'm playing a game of catch-up). After reading the past threads, I just downloaded Anki :)

Just started my research gig, likely I'll get a publication out of it. But working 40 hours a week and studying right after I get home is definitely a rough grind. Might take Saturday offs and relax

I am so glad that I found this thread. Nice to meet you all. I am taking the 1:00PM one. I live in a part of NY state where there's a lot of mountains and hardly any people. So, studying for the mcat has made me lonely and made studying that much of a struggle. I hope to contribute to this post often, and bring encouragement as much as possible. I hope that all of us in this forum will pass the MCAT with flying colors. I am also doing the SN2ed 3 month schedule as some of you all are (though I'm a few days behind and I'm playing a game of catch-up). After reading the past threads, I just downloaded Anki :)
Hey ! Good luck catching up man. I'v attached a anki guide that a friend who is now in medschool gave me, saying they wish they knew about anki in undergrad.

Just started my research gig, likely I'll get a publication out of it. But working 40 hours a week and studying right after I get home is definitely a rough grind. Might take Saturday offs and relax
Definitely a struggle man, but hey there's never really a right time to start, all about taking that first step and giving your full effort and not quitting!

Attachments

• ANKI GUIDE.docx
    13.5 KB · Views: 108
Hey ! Good luck catching up man. I'v attached a anki guide that a friend who is now in medschool gave me, saying they wish they knew about anki in undergrad.

Definitely a struggle man, but hey there's never really a right time to start, all about taking that first step and giving your full effort and not quitting!

Thanks so much for the ANKI Guide, swolebrah!

holy moly. That's rough. Saturdays off seems reasonable considering your 40 hour work load. Good luck, itsthat1guy!

The boss at one of my jobs (the 16hr/wk one) just offered me a 25% pay increase if I worked 50% more hours. I couldn't say no...the company needs the work done, and the pot was sweetened...but my scribe job won't let me drop below 24. I only got one SN2ed block done today, despite having all day free, because I found a good book and it was so hard to dive back into more reading. Days like today should be 2-3SN2ed days to let me take the evenings off after work the other days. I'm starting to regret all of those break days I took when I had more time available...

The boss at one of my jobs (the 16hr/wk one) just offered me a 25% pay increase if I worked 50% more hours. I couldn't say no...the company needs the work done, and the pot was sweetened...but my scribe job won't let me drop below 24. I only got one SN2ed block done today, despite having all day free, because I found a good book and it was so hard to dive back into more reading. Days like today should be 2-3SN2ed days to let me take the evenings off after work the other days. I'm starting to regret all of those break days I took when I had more time available...

Congrats for the pay increase, but how many extra hours would you work? And you said "one of my jobs". You work another job while studying for the mcat?! At least you had a good read, and you can do more sn2ed at your next break day maybe.

Congrats for the pay increase, but how many extra hours would you work? And you said "one of my jobs". You work another job while studying for the mcat?! At least you had a good read, and you can do more sn2ed at your next break day maybe.
The bump would make each job 24hrs/wk. Should be manageable - 3 8hr days with studying afterwards, 2 12hr days with no studying (though I can sneak it in for some), and 2 days 'off' for nothing but studying.

The bump would make each job 24hrs/wk. Should be manageable - 3 8hr days with studying afterwards, 2 12hr days with no studying (though I can sneak it in for some), and 2 days 'off' for nothing but studying.

I hope you don't burn out :(, mehc012

I hope you don't burn out :(, mehc012
Haha, thanks! I'll be good though, it's still a decrease from during the school semesters (then it was 3-4 12s/wk, 1-2 8s/wk, 2 classes, volunteering, and ~12hrs total of commuting) so it feels pretty chill to me.

I am, sadly, still a procrastinator extraordinaire, so my biggest concern is that I'll goof around on these easy sections and then short myself on more complex subjects like EM, electrochem, or biochem.

Haha, thanks! I'll be good though, it's still a decrease from during the school semesters (then it was 3-4 12s/wk, 1-2 8s/wk, 2 classes, volunteering, and ~12hrs total of commuting) so it feels pretty chill to me.

I am, sadly, still a procrastinator extraordinaire, so my biggest concern is that I'll goof around on these easy sections and then short myself on more complex subjects like EM, electrochem, or biochem.

You seem superhuman. Wow!

Oh, you procrastinate? now you seem human. Lol. Gotya. Well, if I could give words of encouragement: don't do that! :/ We're almost there with finishing the premed life. Let's finish strong by tackling our weaknesses so that we can conquer the mcat. :)

You seem superhuman. Wow!

Oh, you procrastinate? now you seem human. Lol. Gotya. Well, if I could give words of encouragement: don't do that! :/ We're almost there with finishing the premed life. Let's finish strong by tackling our weaknesses so that we can conquer the mcat. :)
Oh, I'll get it done. There is no question on that...I NEED the MCAT to be my strong point, because my GPA is not (which is why I'm stuck taking evening classes so I can tack on a 4.0 postbacc to mitigate some of the damage my uGPA has done).

Anyway, I'm on the 'Reread + EK' portion today and the '2nd 1/3' tomorrow, which is my favorite part of the schedule, so hopefully I'll keep my nose to the grindstone!

How far along in content review is everyone? I have about half of orgo to go and want need to review gen chem this week/next week. Going to take the AAMC BS self assessment this Saturday I think

How far along in content review is everyone? I have about half of orgo to go and want need to review gen chem this week/next week. Going to take the AAMC BS self assessment this Saturday I think
I'm only through Ch3 on everything...trying to figure out when to take the Self Assessments, as I've heard they're great resources. I figure it will take 4 extra days, minimum, for the sciences ones - one each to take the passages, one each for review. MINIMUM. Hoping to have time after content review but before FLs. I may cut one FL to throw those in there.

I've already ditched TBR for verbal, since I was skipping so many days I figured I wouldn't need the extra passages and they're only 'meh'. Now considering ditching EK and substituting in the VR self assessment for frequent practice.