Official August 27th 2014 MCAT Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HaitianMD

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I might as well get one started. I'm taking it in August but prepping now! Haven't seen my Sciences in YEARS so I'm starting early. Join as you will.

Members don't see this ad.

Like no other. I kept thinking about how I missed like entire passages in verbal... But ultimately just trust your avg I guess and expect + or - 2 points from it. Of course there is always the unfortunate case where that does not hold true, but just keep in mind that it is normal to feel very nervous about answers in a test like this one.

I meant like whether you knew for a fact you got these questions wrong because you looked the answer up to them on the internet later.

2014 score: 31 (12/6/13); neglected verbal prep unfortunately, but still a major improvement I'm happy with.

Wow, you did so well in sciences..... and only a 6 on verbal :(
I don't know what your plan is - to retake it or not - but whatever you decide, good luck!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Test Date: 8/27/14
FL AAMC Average: 35
Actual Score (PS/V/BS):13/10/12, 35

Way to kick ass and take names 8/27. Good luck to everyone with the application process, I'll see you on the other side.

No, I'd read TBR → make Anki cards
Then I'd do TBR passages
Then for reread day I'd read TPRH and make cards for any new points that came up
Then I'd go through EK1001, every ⅓ question. If I got it wrong, or it took me too long, I'd go back and analyze the crap out of the problem until I saw their short way. Then I'd go back and do the 2 surrounding Qs for every wrong (or starred) question from my first pass. If I missed any in that final pass I clearly didn't understand the perspective/shortcut exemplified by that chunk of EK1001, so I'd turn it into an Anki card.

Of course, the closer I got to the exam, the less of any of this that I did, until as I said before, for the final Chs8+ I did nothing but read → Anki cards.
and you did all this with 2 jobs with 40+ work hours?!
how many hours a day did you study for mcat?
and total how many days?
did you use the SDN2 schedule?

Had decided not to post... but here it goes.

Time: 1:00 pm
FL AAMC Average: (10-13)PS/(6-8)V/(10-13)BS
Post-test expected score: 12
Actual Score (PS/V/BS): 12/6/9 = 27

Very disappointed. I guess I shudnt have expected a miracle considering how low my FL averages were.
The fact that I didnt sleep even for one hour before the exam made the whole experience alot worse.
Dont know how to improve verbal score.
I feel like giving up now.
Will have to write the new mcat since none of the schools in Canada accept old mcat starting next application cycle.
Overall it was a bad experience.

and you did all this with 2 jobs with 40+ work hours?!
how many hours a day did you study for mcat?
and total how many days?
did you use the SDN2 schedule?
Unsurprisingly, it was super sporadic, so I don't have anything hard and fast for you. When I did study, it was for 5+ hours a day, but I would go days or somethings even a week with no studying because I was swamped with work. I did use SN2ed, but I truncated the content review when I ran sorry in time and saw that my TBR scores didn't change after review.

Unsurprisingly, it was super sporadic, so I don't have anything hard and fast for you. When I did study, it was for 5+ hours a day, but I would go days or somethings even a week with no studying because I was swamped with work. I did use SN2ed, but I truncated the content review when I ran sorry in time and saw that my TBR scores didn't change after review.
more than 5+ hours a day :O
I feel like your day is more than 24 hours unlike the rest of us lol
thats just some AMAZING time management skills you have got!
Anyways congrats on your score. You did an amazing job and you shud be very proud of yourself.
Congrats! I wish you all the very best for this application cycle.
People like you DESERVE to be a doctor and Im sure you will make an amazing one.
All the very best :)

Only took AAMC 3 - 36
Took 9 TBR FLs and averaged 34 (super inconsistent though, some were 30 others were 36)
Post-test expected score - 33
Final Breakdown - 9/12/12 (33)

Pretty disappointed about that 9 since my PS scores were never below a 10 in practice and always my highest of the three. Definitely satisfied with the score and won't be retaking, but I wish I could've at least gotten double digits all across the board.

I have a 3.88 GPA from a good undergrad school (UNC-CH) and really solid EC's, anyone know how (or even if) that 9 is going to affect my chances?

See my MDAPPS, I had the exact same MCAT breakdown, slightly lower GPA (3.75), you will be fine, as long as you have the ECs/Service/Volunteer work.

AAMC practice average: 33 or so
Post-test expected score: ~30
Actual score: 30 (09 PS/10VR/11 BS)

Unfortunately I'll be scheduling my retake in January this weekend to make myself more competitive. Congrats to everyone else who wrote today though!

Why do you want to retake? You scored within range of your average.

Time: 1:00 PM
FL AAMC Average: 27
AAMC 10-11 Avg.: 28
Post-test expected score: 27-30
Actual Score (PS/V/BS): 32 (10/10/12)

Scored above my average, so I am pretty happy. Funny how I scored higher on the actual thing than any of my FLs :)

You my friend are one lucky son of a -----. I actually have a similar FL AAMC average...but I took my exam on September 10...hope I am just as lucky as you!!!

Just looked at my score today:

PS: 15, VR: 9, BS: 12

Pretty happy overall with the score, but a little disappointed with the uneven distribution of it (VR is kinda low, should I be concerned at all? Do admissions people care a lot about the score distribution?)

Pretty happy overall with the score, but a little disappointed with the uneven distribution of it (VR is kinda low, should I be concerned at all? Do admissions people care a lot about the score distribution?)

I'm jealous of your PS score! I was probably a question or two away from a perfect 15 haha, i remember IMMEDIATELY after the PS section that I had changed my answer from right to wrong, and i was absolutely kicking myself!

I got a VR 9 as well, up from a 6 from my first MCAT. I think we should be fine with a VR 9 in an unbalanced score, especially when our science scores are high. There's probably no way i can get my VR score closer to my science scores (14 and 13 for PS and BS respectively) outside of a very favorable scaling with very easy passages. A 10 would be ideal but a 9 on VR definitely isn't bad. Unless you were expecting much higher based on your AAMC averages

Members don't see this ad :)

I also wish to hear thoughts on this. I scored similarly: 14/9/12. I assumed that it wouldn't matter too much, but I'm pretty ignorant...

Off topic but does anyone want an invite to the Oneplus One phone? I've got 2 days to hand it out before it runs out. Once you claim it you get 24 hours to buy it. oneplus.net if you're interested in the phone. PM me if you do

I'm jealous of your PS score! I was probably a question or two away from a perfect 15 haha, i remember IMMEDIATELY after the PS section that I had changed my answer from right to wrong, and i was absolutely kicking myself!

I got a VR 9 as well, up from a 6 from my first MCAT. I think we should be fine with a VR 9 in an unbalanced score, especially when our science scores are high. There's probably no way i can get my VR score closer to my science scores (14 and 13 for PS and BS respectively) outside of a very favorable scaling with very easy passages. A 10 would be ideal but a 9 on VR definitely isn't bad. Unless you were expecting much higher based on your AAMC averages

Well my AAMC verbal ranged from 9-12, and I was hitting 11's towards the end, so I was hoping I would get a 10 or higher.

Oh well, get lucky on PS, get a little unlucky on VR

Test date : 8/27/14
AAMC FL average : 31
Actual score : 27 (8,9,10)
I'm really bummed I got lower than my average. I never got below 10 on PS and was getting 11-12s on the verbal. I don't know if I should retake or just apply early and hope to get in. I knew my material well, I think nerves were a big part of this but I don't know. Would you guys retake?

Test date : 8/27/14
AAMC FL average : 31
Actual score : 27 (8,9,10)
I'm really bummed I got lower than my average. I never got below 10 on PS and was getting 11-12s on the verbal. I don't know if I should retake or just apply early and hope to get in. I knew my material well, I think nerves were a big part of this but I don't know. Would you guys retake?

I would try to retake in january for sure. My FL avg. is basically the same as yours and although I wont be getting my score back til next Tuesday I would definitely retake if I got a 27

Wow, you did so well in sciences..... and only a 6 on verbal :(
I don't know what your plan is - to retake it or not - but whatever you decide, good luck!
Yeah, I know... it's a bummer verbal wasn't a bit higher. After speaking with a few deans of admissions for schools I am interested in attending, I was told their minimal requirement to even be considered is 7 in verbal. They do occasionally make exceptions, especially if you scored 7 or higher previously. Obviously, more competitive schools would have more stringent requirements, but I'm just looking to get into any US medical school. If I decide to retake it, I risk doing lower in the sciences and verbal is not exactly my strong point. I have a solid GPA, great EC's, great LORs and PS. I just don't have the time or patience to re-take, so I'm taking my chances. :p

Last edited:
Yeah, I know... it's a bummer verbal wasn't a bit higher. After speaking with a few deans of admissions for schools I am interested in attending, I was told their minimal requirement to even be considered is 7 in verbal. They do occasionally make exceptions, especially if you scored 7 or higher previously. Obviously, more competitive schools would have more stringent requirements, but I'm just looking to get into any US medical school. If I decide to retake it, I risk doing lower in the sciences and verbal is not exactly my strong point. I have a solid GPA, great EC's, great LORs and PS. I just don't have the time or patience to re-take, so I'm taking my chances. :p

I'm hoping that's true for the MD schools I've applied. Like you, I've taken the MCAT 3 times, and got a 7, and 6 on the MCAT verbal section. Not feeling too great about the verbal section from my third MCAT either...

scored 3 points below my AAMC exam average. I still can't believe it. I'm so incredibly bummed to have to re-take

This really sucks. I have been averaging well on the AAMC exams but ended up below that on the real one (for me well is getting around 28). Mostly it was due to me choking on the verbal section. Unfortunately, I have used up the princeton review verbal passage book and used up the ek 101 verbal book AND used up the verbal assessment form AAMC as well :(. What should I do? Is there any good verbal material that I can use for practice????? I have 105 days before my second try. I am not even sure how to approach the exam this second time around. On physical science and biological science I scored one point lower than my average each. Is there any good site/forum to refer to for second time test takers?

Berkeley review has good science books. Physics is a little on the easy side, but it was fine for review. Bio was hard, gen chem was thorough, organic was probably about the right amount but felt easy.

Verbal was the hardest for me too. I didn't try to improve a lot, but I didn't think I would improve a lot either. When you lose a point per question in the upper end, it's hard to not make any mistakes. If you're scoring pretty low on that, you might have more room for improvement with practice. But I don't know what resources to use for that.

scored 3 points below my AAMC exam average. I still can't believe it. I'm so incredibly bummed to have to re-take

3 points below isn't that unusual. How did you do?

Sent from The World Tree using SDN Mobile

3 points below isn't that unusual. How did you do?

my AAMC average was a 32, I scored a 29 but the breakdown is 7 in PS, 11 in VR, 11 in BS

Since I got below 8 in PS, I was told I should re-take

my AAMC average was a 32, I scored a 29 but the breakdown is 7 in PS, 11 in VR, 11 in BS

Since I got below 8 in PS, I was told I should re-take

I agree although not before you do more practice passages. It's still very possible to get a 29 again since your AAMC average isn't much higher.

I agree although not before you do more practice passages. It's still very possible to get a 29 again since your AAMC average isn't much higher.

If you're getting a 7 in PS I would strongly recommend going through EK1001 for Physics and Gen Chem. It helps to see all of the angles they can approach the concept from.

If you're getting a 7 in PS I would strongly recommend going through EK1001 for Physics and Gen Chem. It helps to see all of the angles they can approach the concept from.

Thanks, I don't really know what happened to me on the PS for this exam. My average from the practice exams was a 9, but the last 4 practice exams I took I scored 10 for PS on each one. I also did the AAMC self-assessments for physics and gen chem and did well on those.

Thanks, I don't really know what happened to me on the PS for this exam. My average from the practice exams was a 9, but the last 4 practice exams I took I scored 10 for PS on each one. I also did the AAMC self-assessments for physics and gen chem and did well on those.
What is 'well'? How were you scoring on those?

Alright, here goes...

FL AAMC Average: 41-42
Post-test expected score: 41-42
Actual Score (PS/V/BS):14/12/14, 40

I wish I had hit my average...I feel like I spent the whole month stupidly building this thing up in my head, whereas if I'd gotten it right away I'd have been pumped with this instead of just 'oh, yeah, that is good yay'. Stupid AAMC and their lazy, money-grubbing policies. I don't do well with delayed gratification. I should be excited but I guess I just got over the MCAT as soon as I took it, so now it's just anticlimactic no matter how I score!

That being said, of course I am in no way disappointed in this score. I think it'll get me where I need to go, despite my cruddy gpa. Or at least, I think that if this score doesn't get me where I want to go, I wasn't going there anyway and I probably have other giant glaring issues to address beyond the numbers! :laugh:

All in all, I'm glad the MCAT is over and done with, glad there's not even a remote possibility of a retake, and I feel as if this test, along with my postbacc, gave me a second chance after my poor undergrad showing.

Congrats!
Those are great scores. How did you study for VR? Did you start with scoring that high on VR? what did you find helpful for VR? Thanks.

VR was always my worst section. First off, I didn't practice it much. I only remembered to do VR passages inconsistently, and my review of them was sloppy. When I started, I was scoring ~10s on TPRH, TBR, and EK101 passages. However, the harder I tried and the more strategies I threw in, the worse I did. I went from spending ~4min/passage to 8+/passage, but somehow was getting more wrong! My scores dropped precipitously - I didn't even score several of my sets because I was afraid to see the number. Then I gave up on fancy strategies and just went with my old standby - blaze through the passage, then refer back to it heavily for each question. However, the biggest thing that I did for VR was to make someone else do them and then compare thought processes. I happened to be fortunate enough that my mother was willing to do several VR passages. I picked ones that I had done particularly poorly on and had her do them. Inevitably, there would be some questions which she missed, but that I got right, and some which were the other way around.

While discussing them, it quickly became apparent which sorts of 'traps' I was falling into repeatedly. It's hard not to be defensive when having this sort of comparison, but that's OK...when I defended my wrong answer, I highlighted the thought patterns which were misleading me. The trick is to explain what you were thinking when you picked your wrong answer, and then to recognize that it is wrong. Even if you could technically be correct with some particular framing, the fact is that it is a multiple choice test and so the goal is not to get a correct answer, but to mark the one which the test-maker designates as correct. Find the patterns in your errors and keep those in mind when you are answering in the future.

For me, it turned out the trick to VR was to frame it as "which of these answers can I not prove wrong", rather than "which one can I support as right". To 'prove' that an answer is supported by the passage, it has to be consistent with the entire piece. To prove that an answer is incorrect, you only need to find one sentence contradicting it. It is far easier to do the latter 3x than to do the former once...and it is harder to get misled. The MCAT is great at putting out false leads, but you can avoid them if your strategy doesn't involve 'quick! Let's find a sentence which seems to support this answer!'

So my times went back down, and my scores went back up to the 10-11 range. I switched to AAMC materials and suddenly found myself scoring between 12 and 14 consistently. I'm glad I put the work in on VR prep, because even going in prepared, on the real deal I hit the low end of my VR range and did not hit the high end on either of my science sections to compensate. If my VR range hadn't been shifted up so high, I would not have gotten my goal score.

One final note - I think the shift in mindset from 'prove one right' to 'prove three wrong' helped an incredible amount, but I also want to emphasize that the AAMC material felt wholly different from all of the prep company materials. I'm not sure what to do about that. I feel as if the prep I got from the review companies was helpful, but I do not feel that it was ever predictive. Just something to keep in mind!

Congrats FutureDoc_OC!

Does anyone know how long our August 27th '14 MCAT is good for? Obviously this summer's cycle and I presume next summer as well, no?

Congrats FutureDoc_OC!

Does anyone know how long our August 27th '14 MCAT is good for? Obviously this summer's cycle and I presume next summer as well, no?
Depends on the school...some of them are transitioning to the 2015 MCAT by next summer. There's a link from AAMC about that floating around somewhere.

Oh wow, yeah I was wrong. That's crazy that so many will continue to accept this variation through the 2018 cycle.
I mean, it sticks to the old default of ~3ish years before expiration at many schools. Seems as if it would suck to penalize those who happened to take their test around the transition...they're already boned if they have to retake.