Official August 27th 2014 MCAT Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HaitianMD

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I might as well get one started. I'm taking it in August but prepping now! Haven't seen my Sciences in YEARS so I'm starting early. Join as you will.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm only through Ch3 on everything...trying to figure out when to take the Self Assessments, as I've heard they're great resources. I figure it will take 4 extra days, minimum, for the sciences ones - one each to take the passages, one each for review. MINIMUM. Hoping to have time after content review but before FLs. I may cut one FL to throw those in there.

I've already ditched TBR for verbal, since I was skipping so many days I figured I wouldn't need the extra passages and they're only 'meh'. Now considering ditching EK and substituting in the VR self assessment for frequent practice.
Ivy hall review is very underrated for verbal in my opinion, of you're looking for more material check it out.definitely need a day to review and a day to actually take the self assessments though,I think they're over 100 questions

Ivy hall review is very underrated for verbal in my opinion, of you're looking for more material check it out.definitely need a day to review and a day to actually take the self assessments though,I think they're over 100 questions
I'm not short on materials - quite the opposite actually! I'm just trying to prioritize resources given that I will not have time to finish all of them. I think the SA is a priority seeing that it's actual AAMC material.

VR SA is 120qs.
The others are all over 200 questions apiece, or 4ish FLs worth of questions.
I may do them in 52q blocks, alternating with the other SA package, for a more realistic feel, but I definitely want the SA feedback on 'what are your weaknesses'.

How far along in content review is everyone? I have about half of orgo to go and want need to review gen chem this week/next week. Going to take the AAMC BS self assessment this Saturday I think

I'm on Ch. 3s as well. According to the sn2ed schedule, I have around a month still left before i take fls.

Members don't see this ad :)
Working on gen chem chapter 4, i am kind of behind, i start early
How far along in content review is everyone? I have about half of orgo to go and want need to review gen chem this week/next week. Going to take the AAMC BS self assessment this Saturday I think

Finished Physics Chapter 4 for BR and about to finish gen chem chapter 4, but im on chapter 3 for everything else. Bio always takes me the longest cause I feel like EK Bio doesn't tell me just quite enough and I end up skimming through PR.

Reactions: 1 user
Anyone else surprised at how little depth TBR goes into? I always do TPRH on my reread days (never understood why I would read the same review material 2x), and I feel as if it is a lot more 'complete'.
I had always heard it the other way around.

Was good man!

Side note :
Was going to do gen chem l4 today and just didn't feel it so switched it up for Ochem l4 today and gen chem l4 tomorrow . Sometimes you just gotta switch things up a bit !
So are you guys followjng the SN2 plan? I'm just doing one chapter a day from the PS books and finishing theis passages all at once instead of the 1/3 stuff

I have a little bit of orgo and bio left to go through. But that doesn't mean I know/remember everything I studied during the past few months. Bio takes me more time to go through because it's very detailed (by the way, I'm using TPR) and most chapters I just have to split into 2 days. So I guess, I am taking the self-assessment pretty soon . We'll see how that goes. Despite all the time I spent doing content review, I don't feel that I know a lot

I have a little bit of orgo and bio left to go through. But that doesn't mean I know/remember everything I studied during the past few months. Bio takes me more time to go through because it's very detailed (by the way, I'm using TPR) and most chapters I just have to split into 2 days. So I guess, I am taking the self-assessment pretty soon . We'll see how that goes. Despite all the time I spent doing content review, I don't feel that I know a lot
I've been keeping a spreadsheet with my percentages on practice passages as I go along...it's kind of depressing to see how I don't really improve from the 1st 1/3 to the second. Hopefully the FLs will kick me into gear a bit, when I get there.

I've been keeping a spreadsheet with my percentages on practice passages as I go along...it's kind of depressing to see how I don't really improve from the 1st 1/3 to the second. Hopefully the FLs will kick me into gear a bit, when I get there.
I don't keep a spreadsheet, I am not that organized, LOL. But I kind of know how many I get right or wrong and what are my weak areas. I am hoping that when I start doing only practice (TPR workbook), this will force me to also review certain concepts/formulas and it will help to solidify all this info in my brain. That's the idea, at least. :)

I don't keep a spreadsheet, I am not that organized, LOL. But I kind of know how many I get right or wrong and what are my weak areas. I am hoping that when I start doing only practice (TPR workbook), this will force me to also review certain concepts/formulas and it will help to solidify all this info in my brain. That's the idea, at least. :)
I do it primarily because it's a great source of procrastination...very helpful for timing info, though.
It is how I know that there is virtually no correlation between the amount of time spent on a passage and the percentage I score on it...even though it feels like there is!

Members don't see this ad :)
I do it primarily because it's a great source of procrastination...very helpful for timing info, though.
It is how I know that there is virtually no correlation between the amount of time spent on a passage and the percentage I score on it...even though it feels like there is!
I do something similar,I write down every EK problem I get wrong in a spreadsheet as well as all the TBR passages I got less than sixty percent on

I do something similar,I write down every EK problem I get wrong in a spreadsheet as well as all the TBR passages I got less than sixty percent on
Ah, for EK, every problem that I miss means that I do 2 additional similar ones (in SN2ed, since you do every ⅓, I simply do the one before and after it). If I miss either of those, I make all 3 of the related ones into Anki cards, not multiple choice, with the full explanation displaying after my answer attempt.
For TBR, I go over the entire sheet for review and write in (in a unique color) all of the 'new' things I find in the answer explanations, whether I got it right or wrong...then at the end I reevaluate and Anki any information which I didn't know which would have potentially gotten me a Q or made the thought process quicker.
Then in my spreadsheet I document the 1 concept which made me miss the most questions during that problem set.
I just get really frustrated if it's a non-relevant concept...there was a Bio set which I missed primarily because I hadn't gone over pKas in Chem yet which drove me MAD. This is why I'm hoping my final ⅓ percentages will be higher...there are a lot of these overlaps which makes it hard to say that any one set of chapter review questions truly focuses solely on that chapter's concepts.

Ah, for EK, every problem that I miss means that I do 2 additional similar ones (in SN2ed, since you do every ⅓, I simply do the one before and after it). If I miss either of those, I make all 3 of the related ones into Anki cards, not multiple choice, with the full explanation displaying after my answer attempt.
For TBR, I go over the entire sheet for review and write in (in a unique color) all of the 'new' things I find in the answer explanations, whether I got it right or wrong...then at the end I reevaluate and Anki any information which I didn't know which would have potentially gotten me a Q or made the thought process quicker.
Then in my spreadsheet I document the 1 concept which made me miss the most questions during that problem set.
I just get really frustrated if it's a non-relevant concept...there was a Bio set which I missed primarily because I hadn't gone over pKas in Chem yet which drove me MAD. This is why I'm hoping my final ⅓ percentages will be higher...there are a lot of these overlaps which makes it hard to say that any one set of chapter review questions truly focuses solely on that chapter's concepts.
Yeah I feel you. This is why I left sn2 since I wanted to nail one concept down thoroughly before moving on

Yeah I feel you. This is why I left sn2 since I wanted to nail one concept down thoroughly before moving on
I don't understand how SN2 prevents that...I'm just frustrated with myself because I can tell that I will never break my current percentages until I finish all content review, but I don't want to move forward through the content review until my percentages increase. I just have to get over that bit. It actually helps to write down what my stumbling block was, because if it isn't from the chapter I am reviewing, I feel better moving on.

I don't understand how SN2 prevents that...I'm just frustrated with myself because I can tell that I will never break my current percentages until I finish all content review, but I don't want to move forward through the content review until my percentages increase. I just have to get over that bit. It actually helps to write down what my stumbling block was, because if it isn't from the chapter I am reviewing, I feel better moving on.
Your reason here is why I stopped sn2 because I want my percentages to increase in each section and I want to finish all content review like that

Your reason here is why I stopped sn2 because I want my percentages to increase in each section and I want to finish all content review like that
But at a certain point, you can't make gains in your percentages until you move on, cover all of the material, and then come back around. If I'm missing questions in Bio because I am weak in Orgo, and there is some overlap, I will never improve my Bio score beyond a certain level by studying Bio in isolation. It's too intercalated.

But at a certain point, you can't make gains in your percentages until you move on, cover all of the material, and then come back around. If I'm missing questions in Bio because I am weak in Orgo, and there is some overlap, I will never improve my Bio score beyond a certain level by studying Bio in isolation. It's too intercalated.
Hey that's the point right integrating information from seemingly disparate fields

Hey that's the point right integrating information from seemingly disparate fields
Exactly. It's just frustrating to prep for because you kind of have to be able to move forward with subpar scores, knowing that you will circle back later (and then hold yourself to the higher standard).

Ugh, recently started a new job as a medic and struggling to keep up with this sn2 schedule. Not sure what to do to catch-up and stay on track, any tips from nontrads taking this exam? I'm a husband and father by the way, so not working is not an option that i have the luxury choosing from.

literally just fell 5 days behind because of working, and then falling out of the groove and doing nothing all day!

Do you guys think I can study for this date if I start now?
Depends on if you have any other commitments. Maybe if you went crazy with content you could finish in like five weeks and have six or so to practice, but I would recommend an earlier date. But the only person that knows the answer is you

I've taken it before and got a 25. I'm currently on the WL for a few schools too. I want to go to a DO school but don't know if a retake is a good idea or not with two months.

i feel like if youve taken it before, within maybe last 8 months, starting now should be fine, content review shouldnt take as long, as youve already done it.

Got so behind this weekend, stuck on some fizzacks issues.
If I do 2Ch/d for the next 3d I should be OK, though.

But every fiber of my being is resisting the 193 practice problems (the 2nd ⅓ of the Ch 3s plus a full VR section) in tonight's 'Mini MCAT' (Mini in terms of concepts tested, not # of problems). But if I get used to these marathon exams, maybe the FLs won't seem so bad?

How is everyone doing? Almost done with orgo-about 3 chapters left and then I'm done with content review. Did the physics self-assesment and got 75% right which was pretty decent. Going to try and do the bio and organic self assessments this weekend and hopefully do a practice test next week

How is everyone doing? Almost done with orgo-about 3 chapters left and then I'm done with content review. Did the physics self-assesment and got 75% right which was pretty decent. Going to try and do the bio and organic self assessments this weekend and hopefully do a practice test next week
I'm in the Kaplan course and we just finished the first Unit. I'm a little bit behind with the preview and review homework assignments. Its just a ton of stuff to study. We have physics 2 tomorrow. Been studying all day. I haven't even started the self-assessment tests, but I may do them later if my teacher recommends them. We have our first practice Full length scheduled in about 10 days. I scored a 20 on the Diagnostic exam, but I am determined to do every single assignment Kaplan assigns, and hopefully that will pay off.

yikes how did you get through so much ochem? im working on chapter 4 right now :/. did you learn subjects individually or at the same time.

But every fiber of my being is resisting the 193 practice problems (the 2nd ⅓ of the Ch 3s plus a full VR section) in tonight's 'Mini MCAT' (Mini in terms of concepts tested, not # of problems). But if I get used to these marathon exams, maybe the FLs won't seem so bad?

Are you following S2ned schedule? did he include a full vr section on the day where you do all the 2nd 1/3 or are you just changing it up

and also how do you get through 2 chapters in 1 day, do you do the 1/3 problems for each chapter as well, I think I am the slowest reader ever or something

yikes how did you get through so much ochem? im working on chapter 4 right now :/. did you learn subjects individually or at the same time.
Are you following S2ned schedule? did he include a full vr section on the day where you do all the 2nd 1/3 or are you just changing it up
and also how do you get through 2 chapters in 1 day, do you do the 1/3 problems for each chapter as well, I think I am the slowest reader ever or something
Sounds like they went individually...though remember, orgo only has 8ch anyway.

I'm following SN2ed...roughly. I started 4mo out, but due to working 48hrs/wk and also being a lazy procrastinatosaurus, I am now at the same place as most in the 3mo schedule :/
I mix it up a bit because my schedule is janky. Some days are 12hrs of work (plus 2 commuting), some are 8 (plus 1hr commuting), some are 4, and some I have off. No two weeks have the same combination of hours; they just all add up to ~48 no matter what (I cut back recently to ensure they stayed that low). I try to do VR everyday, even when I don't get to a block, but...I fail at that, so when I do my questions, I'll often throw in a full VR section to substitute for not doing the 3/day I intended to. Plus, it gets me more used to the style of the exam.

I am actually quite slow on the review part of the day, despite being a fast reader (like 800wpm for fun, probably only 600wpm or so for learning), because I Anki everything. Most of my review time is spent figuring out how to make good flashcards from the materials. I make up for it during the passages, though...my average passage time is 4:30 to 5min, so at this point I find myself finishing most of my practice sections with ~30min to spare...not sure what to do about that, actually. I tried slowing down and it had zero impact on my scores. I don't feel as if I'm rushing. So...yeah.

But, in the end, I failed at getting 2ch done today anyway (just the 1)...because I went on Netflix for several hours after work. Fail. Major fail.

Ugh, recently started a new job as a medic and struggling to keep up with this sn2 schedule. Not sure what to do to catch-up and stay on track, any tips from nontrads taking this exam? I'm a husband and father by the way, so not working is not an option that i have the luxury choosing from.

I don't have any tips for you but just wanted to say you inspire me. To have to juggle between being a father, working, being husband, and studying for the MCAT. Wow. Just wow.

Actually, maybe if you haven't heard about it already, Anki may help you when you don't have quality study time but would want to memorize some concepts via online index cards.

Sounds like they went individually...though remember, orgo only has 8ch anyway.

I'm following SN2ed...roughly. I started 4mo out, but due to working 48hrs/wk and also being a lazy procrastinatosaurus, I am now at the same place as most in the 3mo schedule :/
I mix it up a bit because my schedule is janky. Some days are 12hrs of work (plus 2 commuting), some are 8 (plus 1hr commuting), some are 4, and some I have off. No two weeks have the same combination of hours; they just all add up to ~48 no matter what (I cut back recently to ensure they stayed that low). I try to do VR everyday, even when I don't get to a block, but...I fail at that, so when I do my questions, I'll often throw in a full VR section to substitute for not doing the 3/day I intended to. Plus, it gets me more used to the style of the exam.

I am actually quite slow on the review part of the day, despite being a fast reader (like 800wpm for fun, probably only 600wpm or so for learning), because I Anki everything. Most of my review time is spent figuring out how to make good flashcards from the materials. I make up for it during the passages, though...my average passage time is 4:30 to 5min, so at this point I find myself finishing most of my practice sections with ~30min to spare...not sure what to do about that, actually. I tried slowing down and it had zero impact on my scores. I don't feel as if I'm rushing. So...yeah.

But, in the end, I failed at getting 2ch done today anyway (just the 1)...because I went on Netflix for several hours after work. Fail. Major fail.

Do you bingewatch a particular show or just watch various shows? I feel you, but for me it has been the Stanley Cup; NBA Finals; and, sigh, now the World Cup. I am procrastinatosaurus II. :(

Do you bingewatch a particular show or just watch various shows? I feel you, but for me it has been the Stanley Cup; NBA Finals; and, sigh, now the World Cup. I am procrastinatosaurus II. :(
I bingewatch A show, and then I move on to another one.
However, I have successfully avoided starting a new show (and I tore myself away/banned myself from continuing Buffy and BSG :( :( ) so I currently hop between short-binges (aka a lot of eps, but not everyoneevermadeomgwhathappensnext) on several of the shows I have already finished. It's easier to stop clicking 'Next' when I know what happens next!

I bingewatch A show, and then I move on to another one.
However, I have successfully avoided starting a new show (and I tore myself away/banned myself from continuing Buffy and BSG :( :( ) so I currently hop between short-binges (aka a lot of eps, but not everyoneevermadeomgwhathappensnext) on several of the shows I have already finished. It's easier to stop clicking 'Next' when I know what happens next!

Hahaha, good technique. Wish I could say the same with the World Cup, then I wouldn't feel any temptation to watch it!

Let's do this! (i.e. not procrastinate and have a stronger desire to study for the MCAT *at least try to* than watching shows/games) :)

Hahaha, good technique. Wish I could say the same with the World Cup, then I wouldn't feel any temptation to watch it!

Let's do this! (i.e. not procrastinate and have a stronger desire to study for the MCAT *at least try to* than watching shows/games) :)
I've improved my motivation over the past few days by doing all of my studying the night before, and then waking up early the next day to do passages. Passages are easy-entry; they're a fixed task with a timer which can't be procrastinated. However, it's best not to be exhausted when you begin them.
Studying is procrastination-able, but I find that I particularly get hung up near the end when I know I'm not ready for the passages because I am so effing exhausted, and then I get into the 'if I procrastinate I take longer so I'm even less ready but then I want to procrastinate more' cycle.

So instead, I study all evening, Anki things, do Anki at the end, wake up, do Anki in the morning as a refresher/wakeup period (with pumpup music, of course), then grab some tea and sit down to crank out the passages. Just short enough of a block to do before work. After work, I do a quick set of Verbal for similar reasons (it's a low entry barrier, but gets me into study mood/makes me feel accomplished, which is the #1 way to beat procrastination), then launch into new material. I can work until I'm exhausted, so there's less pressure, and then I repeat the next day.

Last edited:
I don't have any tips for you but just wanted to say you inspire me. To have to juggle between being a father, working, being husband, and studying for the MCAT. Wow. Just wow.

Actually, maybe if you haven't heard about it already, Anki may help you when you don't have quality study time but would want to memorize some concepts via online index cards.

Thanks runningmandoctor. I do my best but am by no means very efficient at it yet. Luckily being a EMT affords me the time to review between calls but its more passive and in short spurts which has been very ineffective to say the least. Yes, anki is f'in amazing, thanks to mehc012 mentioning it and explaining to me how to use it. I'm still behind schedule but i'm fighting to catch-up at a comfortable pace, too bad im not reading at 600wpm(seriously mehc012 how do you read ochem at 600 wpm o_O)

I've improved my motivation over the past few days by doing all of my studying the night before, and then waking up early the next day to do passages. Passages are easy-entry; they're a fixed task with a timer which can't be procrastinated. However, it's best not to be exhausted when you begin them.
Studying is procrastination-able, but I find that I particularly get hung up near the end when I know I'm not ready for the passages because I am so effing exhausted, and then I get into the 'if I procrastinate I take longer so I'm even less ready but then I want to procrastinate more' cycle.

So instead, I study all evening, Anki things, do Anki at the end, wake up, do Anki in the morning as a refresher/wakeup period (with pumpup music, of course), then grab some tea and sit down to crank out the passages. Just short enough of a block to do before work. After work, I do a quick set of Verbal for similar reasons (it's a low entry barrier, but gets me into study mood/makes me feel accomplished, which is the #1 way to beat procrastination), then launch into new material. I can work until I'm exhausted, so there's less pressure, and then I repeat the next day.

Thanks for the study tips. I hope to utilize some of them!

Thanks runningmandoctor. I do my best but am by no means very efficient at it yet. Luckily being a EMT affords me the time to review between calls but its more passive and in short spurts which has been very ineffective to say the least. Yes, anki is f'in amazing, thanks to mehc012 mentioning it and explaining to me how to use it. I'm still behind schedule but i'm fighting to catch-up at a comfortable pace, too bad im not reading at 600wpm(seriously mehc012 how do you read ochem at 600 wpm o_O)
I was both a huge nerd as a child (seriously, I got in trouble monthly for reading-related infractions at school, and once had to have all of my books taken away from me as punishment because reading was causing problems) and an organic chem major in college, so...that helps.
In fact, I have been incredibly lucky in that Physics and Physio were both taken after I began Anki'ing, so I already have cardbanks for those which I pretagged along the AAMC content outline -those just need tweaks and some fleshing out. As for the others, I was a Chem major with an organic focus, so that helps those sections go more quickly for me despite not having any Anki premade on those subjects.

Also, telling you guys what I'm going to do makes me that much more motivated to actually accomplish it!

Physics ch. 7, gchem ch 4, orgo ch 2, TPR bio ch 6. Didn't do any passages yet... how behind am I? I started the schedule 6 days late and feel like I'll have to move my test date to sept 4 :(*

Physics ch. 7, gchem ch 4, orgo ch 2, TPR bio ch 6. Didn't do any passages yet... how behind am I? I started the schedule 6 days late and feel like I'll have to move my test date to sept 4 :(*
You're ahead in terms of #chapters studied, as far as I'm concerned at least!
I'd definitely start working in some practice problems. Don't go crazy trying to 'catch up' on those, though...just incorporate them from here on out and do extra when you come back to those chapters later...maybe throw the SAs in there to give you an idea of where to focus your practice problems!

Uggh, I did manage to get through 2Ch last night (AND play some bball for exercise!) but I was super demotivated this morning and so did not do my morning passages and am sitting here avoiding going into work yet. I think it's because I have to sit down and do the repro passages, and there is something just demoralizing about those. Is it just me, or does TBR go SUPER DUPER EXTREME in depth on development in this section? TBH, I skipped a lot of it, and I expect that it will hurt me come passage time.

Plus, doing 2Ch meant getting behind and not doing the review of my 2nd ⅓ which I always try to do before learning the next Ch in a subject. Ah, well, I do have tomorrow fully off. Hopefully I can get through 2 tonight as well (more likely only 1½ and the passages I skipped this morning) and then crank through a bunch tomorrow...I'm giving myself some wiggle room by picking and choosing which EK1001s are useful for me based on my scores (thanks to @TexasSurgeon for making me realize that the goal is to learn these things, not just to check SN2ed boxes).

For example, last week I had 95% on both Chem chapters, so I skipped those 1001s, and I skipped orgo because there was no good section in EK to match what I'd learned. This week I'll probably get off easy on Physics because last week's chapter and this week's were intermingled in EK, so I just did all of them at that time since I felt comfortable with torque and momentum.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Uggh, I did manage to get through 2Ch last night (AND play some bball for exercise!) but I was super demotivated this morning and so did not do my morning passages and am sitting here avoiding going into work yet. I think it's because I have to sit down and do the repro passages, and there is something just demoralizing about those. Is it just me, or does TBR go SUPER DUPER EXTREME in depth on development in this section? TBH, I skipped a lot of it, and I expect that it will hurt me come passage time.

Plus, doing 2Ch meant getting behind and not doing the review of my 2nd ⅓ which I always try to do before learning the next Ch in a subject. Ah, well, I do have tomorrow fully off. Hopefully I can get through 2 tonight as well (more likely only 1½ and the passages I skipped this morning) and then crank through a bunch tomorrow...I'm giving myself some wiggle room by picking and choosing which EK1001s are useful for me based on my scores (thanks to @TexasSurgeon for making me realize that the goal is to learn these things, not just to check SN2ed boxes).

For example, last week I had 95% on both Chem chapters, so I skipped those 1001s, and I skipped orgo because there was no good section in EK to match what I'd learned. This week I'll probably get off easy on Physics because last week's chapter and this week's were intermingled in EK, so I just did all of them at that time since I felt comfortable with torque and momentum.
I keep missing 2 questions per passage across all sections...
also, you're welcome :)

Yeah true! But see the thing is that the BR scale has it so that it's adjusted to all the questions total. When you do SN2's 1/3 passages, you'll get some passages that have 4 questions, some that have 8, you get the picture. So when you miss 2/4 and add that to the total, I get something like a 64%, which puts me into the 7-9 range on BR...so I don't really even know my real score. haha. That's the scary thing, it's like all this content review I'm doing is helping me, but I just can't feel the bottom of the pool. That AAMC #3 I did initially landed me with a 24, so that's the only compass I've got right now