Official August 27th 2014 MCAT Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HaitianMD

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I might as well get one started. I'm taking it in August but prepping now! Haven't seen my Sciences in YEARS so I'm starting early. Join as you will.

Members don't see this ad.

Yeah true! But see the thing is that the BR scale has it so that it's adjusted to all the questions total. When you do SN2's 1/3 passages, you'll get some passages that have 4 questions, some that have 8, you get the picture. So when you miss 2/4 and add that to the total, I get something like a 64%, which puts me into the 7-9 range on BR...so I don't really even know my real score. haha. That's the scary thing, it's like all this content review I'm doing is helping me, but I just can't feel the bottom of the pool. That AAMC #3 I did initially landed me with a 24, so that's the only compass I've got right now
I should do an AAMC. I haven't even tried one yet, not wanting to waste 'em before content review. But since it looks like I'll be pushing it to do all 8 anyway, and I want to do the SA at some point...

Reactions: 1 users
Just take AAMC 3. Don't be surprised if the score is low though. AAMC 3 is so easy that it's curved very heavily against you. So missing like 3 questions knocks you down a fair bit. But you've got solid content review going so I expect you to do well :)

Just take AAMC 3. Don't be surprised if the score is low though. AAMC 3 is so easy that it's curved very heavily against you. So missing like 3 questions knocks you down a fair bit. But you've got solid content review going so I expect you to do well :)
Nothing on electromagnetism or any orgo reactions yet, though!
Maybe after I hit pH in depth tonight...I feel like pH and electrochemistry/electromagnetism are crucial!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Nothing on electromagnetism or any orgo reactions yet, though!
Maybe after I hit pH in depth tonight...I feel like pH and electrochemistry/electromagnetism are crucial!
Yeah I think it's important as well. I'm surprised at how well BR's genchem books made the Acid/Base chapter. I don't think I've learned it better

Yeah I think it's important as well. I'm surprised at how well BR's genchem books made the Acid/Base chapter. I don't think I've learned it better
Glad to hear it...I've got that and the first orgo reactions section tonight, plus the repro questions I put off this morning...feeling a bit nervous as those are all heavy hitters!

Glad to hear it...I've got that and the first orgo reactions section tonight, plus the repro questions I put off this morning...feeling a bit nervous as those are all heavy hitters!
You got this! haha but its good to know that other people are also falling behind a bit. Proof that SDN is filled with humans instead of trolls

Just got back from an awesome run, about to get some food and then tear up some orgo at the Library and do a bunch of TBR passages

Reactions: 3 users
I went out last weekend so I'm gonna be here all this weekend. Just got wrecked on TBR physics passages for the first two sections (got ~70% right) but I killed it on some bio and verbal passages earlier.I'm doing content review for orgo now

the 6days i had off screwed me with verbal the most, took a few passages did horrible, im scoring like i used to when i first started and feel like ive lost all my skill. never going more than 1 day without verbal till the mcat lol... Finished ochem today feels good to be done 1 book even if it was only 1/3 questions done.

i find myself if i run out of time with a verbal/science passage i allow myself to finish, kind of defeating the purpose of timing. do you guys actually stop if you run out of time

Members don't see this ad :)
i find myself if i run out of time with a verbal/science passage i allow myself to finish, kind of defeating the purpose of timing. do you guys actually stop if you run out of time
I would stop during a practice test but otherwise I finish the passage just to improve my critical thinking skills,etc

I've not had the situation come up, but if I did, here's how I'd play it:

If I saw the timer getting to the end, I would mark where I was, then play the 'how many of these questions can I answer/guess on in the next 2min' game (choose whatever panic! time works for you...as I said, I have no experience with this part).
After the timer ends, go back and attempt to actually do the questions below my mark legitimately, i.e. with as much time as needed.

That way, you practice both ways.

2 more months y'll. :scared: Got a LOT of studying to do; if I took the MCAT now, I wouldn't even score past 30...

images.jpeg

#desperate-studying

I'm getting more and more behind...I should be through all but one Ch5 today, and instead I've got 2-3 left. :(

How is everyone's studying going? I'm officially done with content review. Just did all the discretes and passages for TPR Orgo and averaged around 80% so I'm feeling good about my practice test tomorrow.

How is everyone's studying going? I'm officially done with content review. Just did all the discretes and passages for TPR Orgo and averaged around 80% so I'm feeling good about my practice test tomorrow.

good luck tomorrow! Still got to review some passages tonight.

Just took Kaplan #1 and got a 29 which is a decent starting point I guess. Verbal was war lower than I expected considering I average 1 wrong per passage. About to start reviewing

Just took Kaplan #1 and got a 29 which is a decent starting point I guess. Verbal was war lower than I expected considering I average 1 wrong per passage. About to start reviewing

Dude, that's awesome. I mean we got 2 months still! Hypothetically speaking, if you pull up one point each week, that's a 37 by august 27th!

Dude, that's awesome. I mean we got 2 months still! Hypothetically speaking, if you pull up one point each week, that's a 37 by august 27th!
I like your thinking. I got 11/7/11 (like I said I think that verbal is a fluke, considering I got a 10 on the real thing last year) so I'm pretty happy with my PS/BS scores. I really slacked off in verbal last week so I'm gonna try to do 4 passages every other day next week and take another exam july 4th. Also what's a good running app I want to track my mileage and pace. I run in the woods a lot so I can't see how far I'm going with google maps.

I like your thinking. I got 11/7/11 (like I said I think that verbal is a fluke, considering I got a 10 on the real thing last year) so I'm pretty happy with my PS/BS scores. I really slacked off in verbal last week so I'm gonna try to do 4 passages every other day next week and take another exam july 4th. Also what's a good running app I want to track my mileage and pace. I run in the woods a lot so I can't see how far I'm going with google maps.

good luck with the verbal practices, and o boy, on the 4th, huh?

Haha, mapmyrun is my favorite. :)

sorry, this is off topic, but have any of you all watched the Costa Rica v. Greece game this afternoon? That was an amazing game. I felt the nerves during the penalty shoot out, but Costa Rica won! It's their first time ever to advance to the quarterfinals. They withstood an hour of an 11 v. 10 disadvantage due to a red card. USA will play this Tuesday against Belgium. If US loses, Costa Rica will be my new rooting team.

Sorry again, just so excited and needed to share it with friends. :) #againsttheodds <- which will be us hopefully when we take the mcat

sorry, this is off topic, but have any of you all watched the Costa Rica v. Greece game this afternoon? That was an amazing game. I felt the nerves during the penalty shoot out, but Costa Rica won! It's their first time ever to advance to the quarterfinals. They withstood an hour of an 11 v. 10 disadvantage due to a red card. USA will play this Tuesday against Belgium. If US loses, Costa Rica will be my new rooting team.

Sorry again, just so excited and needed to share it with friends. :) #againsttheodds <- which will be us hopefully when we take the mcat
A lot of close games this world cup...BrasilvChile is my favorite PK game ever. I missed this afternoon's, but this morning's game was a 90m-er too...it's too bad that game went out on an actual penalty PK, because if it had gone to a tiebreaker PK shootout, Ochoa would've destroyed Netherland's terribly unexciting keeper.

Anyone else been taking practice tests? I decided to leap and begin taking them before I finish content review. So far I have taken AAMC3, and scored a 10/10/12 for a 32; the verbal seemed fairly easy and I remember thinking the passages were short or at least not tough to get through. The physical sciences section seemed easier than it apparently was. For some reason, I expected I would score a 12, probably because I usually score around there (usually 13) on TBR end-of-chapter passages. That was about 2 weeks ago. Today, I took TBR #2, and scored 13/9/10 for a 32 again. I missed the last 8 VR questions because I wasn't paying enough attention to time, and left them blank. The VR was very difficult in my opinion. The passages were long and somewhat challenging. Four of the BS questions wouldn't load up, so I estimated that I scored 1 wrong out of the 4 (which was probably accurate considering I missed on average 1 out of every 4.2 or so), which put me down to a 10.

I will be done with content review within 3 weeks, I think. I might extend it to 4 weeks to nail down the chapters that are problematic for me. I am not entirely sure which ones would be best to do so. Probably gen chem 1 material, as well as molecular/microbiology material. We'll see. Anyone else planning on rereviewing problem areas after content review?

Last edited:
Yup! Why wouldn't I be?

Edit: Oh, it's Friday. Meh, I work an irregular schedule, so weekends are rather meaningless to me
Are you a guy or a gal? Just curious because your avatar suggests the latter, yet your interest in sports, your "subusername" (motto, or whatever it is called), and the nature of the internet renders the former also a possibility.

Are you a guy or a gal? Just curious because your avatar suggests the latter, yet your interest in sports, your "subusername" (motto, or whatever it is called), and the nature of the internet renders the former also a possibility.
I am a girl who likes scifi, soccer, Ultimate, chemistry, motorcycles, SCUBA, fixing my own car/motorcycles, video games (srsly, I have SNES through 360 actively set up) and surgery.

Anyone else been taking practice tests? I decided to leap and begin taking them before I finish content review. So far I have taken AAMC3, and scored a 10/10/12 for a 32; the verbal seemed fairly easy and I remember thinking the passages were short or at least not tough to get through. The physical sciences section seemed easier than it apparently was. For some reason, I expected I would score a 12, probably because I usually score around there (usually 13) on TBR end-of-chapter passages. That was about 2 weeks ago. Today, I took TBR #2, and scored 13/9/10 for a 32 again. I missed the last 8 VR questions because I wasn't paying enough attention to time, and left them blank. The VR was very difficult in my opinion. The passages were long and somewhat challenging. Four of the BS questions wouldn't load up, so I estimated that I scored 1 wrong out of the 4 (which was probably accurate considering I missed on average 1 out of every 4.2 or so), which put me down to a 10.

I will be done with content review within 3 weeks, I think. I might extend it to 4 weeks to nail down the chapters that are problematic for me. I am not entirely sure which ones would be best to do so. Probably gen chem 1 material, as well as molecular/microbiology material. We'll see. Anyone else planning on rereviewing problem areas after content review?

Hey Rhino, you seem in really good shape right now. And definitely, I will rereview problem areas after content review as well. I mean by the time I finish, say, gen chem ch. 9, I'm pretty sure I'll be rusty on gen chem. ch. 2.

Hi All!

I might end up with this date because there are no seats for mid August- I plan on applying for this cycle. Are any of you concerned that you will be applying late?
This is a retake for me- so I am extra nervous about any factor against me.
Thoughts?

Hi All!

I might end up with this date because there are no seats for mid August- I plan on applying for this cycle. Are any of you concerned that you will be applying late?
This is a retake for me- so I am extra nervous about any factor against me.
Thoughts?

Hey ------MD. Good luck with the retake. Fingers crossed.

I wish I could relate, but for me I'm planning to apply next or next next cycle. But it does seem late compared to other applicants in this cycle. How are your applications going?

I am a girl who likes scifi, soccer, Ultimate, chemistry, motorcycles, SCUBA, fixing my own car/motorcycles, video games (srsly, I have SNES through 360 actively set up) and surgery.
A sporty girl, awesome. I'm sure you are referring to UFC, but not to ultimate frisbee. LOL at "and surgery."

Hey Rhino, you seem in really good shape right now. And definitely, I will rereview problem areas after content review as well. I mean by the time I finish, say, gen chem ch. 9, I'm pretty sure I'll be rusty on gen chem. ch. 2.
I was pretty relieved to see that I have at least a reasonable score at this point.

... And then when we finish gen chem ch.2, we'll be right at that time that we'll be a bit rusty on gen chem ch. 3, etc. Haha, no, I'm thinking it won't be anything to regret reviewing problematic areas (as long as content review isn't extended too long?). Hopefully, because that's what I plan on doing.

A sporty girl, awesome. I'm sure you are referring to UFC, but not to ultimate frisbee. LOL at "and surgery."
No, ultimate frisbee. I tore my ACL playing ultimate...our team made it to nationals a few times.

I have everything that doesn't involve work on my part done: I have letters in, transcripts in. I am editing the rest- I had them all filled in last time- I just have a couple of upgrades to add. I really hope though that time isnt a big factor against me. Thanks.

I think its time i concede to the idea that i just wont be ready for the Aug. 27 exam. I've fallen off the schedule a couple times and i am beginning to feel the stress of trying to catch up and finish the content review. I think pushing my date back about 4-6 weeks may give me the time i need to move at a comfortable pace.

I think its time i concede to the idea that i just wont be ready for the Aug. 27 exam. I've fallen off the schedule a couple times and i am beginning to feel the stress of trying to catch up and finish the content review. I think pushing my date back about 4-6 weeks may give me the time i need to move at a comfortable pace.

Well, on the bright side, at least you know now, way early on (relatively). Maybe you can wait until July 26th to reschedule because 1) you still pay around 60$ to reschedule it if you do it now or later then and 2) it'll pressure you perhaps to study a lot between now and the 26th. But bummer man. I feel you, to be honest. I'm considering it too, but for me it's complicated--I'm studying abroad in Jordan from Sept. 1st to Dec. 15th, so if I reschedule, I would need to do it January 15th or so. :/

(if only I could save time in a bottle, I'd use it to study for the mcat before school...)

where is everybody in terms of content review following the sdn schedule. i worked fulltime the last week and i feel super behind.

where is everybody in terms of content review following the sdn schedule. i worked fulltime the last week and i feel super behind.

Hey Tonkahat, I've been two days behind SN2ed (started exactly three months before August 27th) and I'm on Ch. 6 Orgo.