*********OFFICIAL COLUMBIA C/O 2020 INTERVIEW/ACCEPTANCE*****

Hey guys, here are my stats, do you think I have a chance at Columbia:
3.92 sGPA, 3.86 overal GPA
113 community service
500 dental related experience
But my DAT is 21AA, 22 PAT.
Would my DAT will be the cutoff because any consideration? I know I would have have an clear andwer asking her but I just want to hear you guys' opinions!
Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I forgot to mention something earlier when I posted that I got an interview- I have literally zero research experience. So if anyone here is worried about not having enough or not having any at all, you definitely still have a shot.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I thought that they said specifically that Columbia students couldn't host this year? Maybe I'm confusing it with some other one... hmm

I'm staying with my friend's sister in another part of Manhattan. Saves me a little bit, at least. Woo-hoo for random connections!

Reactions: 1 user
For all the people with interviews, did anyone only have 2 science letters?

It's arguable for me
I had two science and a research professor. I did get a grade for the first semester I was in his lab before I was hired on but it wouldn't really be spence credit though.

Has anyone done a same day walk-in tour of the school? I happen to be in the area this week.

I had 2 science professors.

Also, didn't get an email about student housing with Columbia students.

I'm waiting to hear back from columbia and I have not heard anything. I was second batch. Does anyone know how many rounds of interview invites they have sent out. I remember seeing one in late august and one in beginning September and one last week. Does that mean that's it? Everything else is post december? Because on last year's thread, invitations in october meant they were post December 1st interviews. Does anyone know if they conduct interviews every friday or every other... I have GPA: 3.76 sGPA: 3.7 DAT: 23/23/20 AA/TS/PAT. Also tons of research, community service, work in dentistry, leadership... I have invites from others but this is one of my top choices...

I'm waiting to hear back from columbia and I have not heard anything. I was second batch. Does anyone know how many rounds of interview invites they have sent out. I remember seeing one in late august and one in beginning September and one last week. Does that mean that's it? Everything else is post december? Because on last year's thread, invitations in october meant they were post December 1st interviews. Does anyone know if they conduct interviews every friday or every other... I have GPA: 3.76 sGPA: 3.7 DAT: 23/23/20 AA/TS/PAT. Also tons of research, community service, work in dentistry, leadership... I have invites from others but this is one of my top choices...
Idk man, I'm in the same boat. We have almost the exact same stats and batch number too!

I heard that Columbia is really random. People were saying that people with great stats and ecs don't even get a call there. it's really random.

Members don't see this ad :)
The guide says they accept like 66% of those interviewed so they are pretty selective

I heard that Columbia is really random. People were saying that people with great stats and ecs don't even get a call there. it's really random.

Well that's watering things down a lot... lol

The interviews are every Friday, other than select holidays. If judging from past years is any indication there might be two more rounds of interviews sent out, maybe three. There were some people who had early applications that got invites later, but for the most part the first wave was for the first few batches, the second wave for the middle batches, and the final waves were a lot smaller in volume and for the stragglers they found and the occasional applicant they decided to go back to (my guess is that there is some sort of "wait list" for interview invites that they only go to if they do not get enough interview-able candidates to apply later. There is still a chance they might come back to you all, so don't give up hope!

And as @pulltheleverkronk said, that is watering it down to a large degree. Grades and DAT and "having" ECs isn't enough to guarantee an invite everywhere, but saying that it is "random" is a pretty big slight to people that did get interviews.

The interviews are every Friday, other than select holidays. If judging from past years is any indication there might be two more rounds of interviews sent out, maybe three. There were some people who had early applications that got invites later, but for the most part the first wave was for the first few batches, the second wave for the middle batches, and the final waves were a lot smaller in volume and for the stragglers they found and the occasional applicant they decided to go back to (my guess is that there is some sort of "wait list" for interview invites that they only go to if they do not get enough interview-able candidates to apply later. There is still a chance they might come back to you all, so don't give up hope!

And as @pulltheleverkronk said, that is watering it down to a large degree. Grades and DAT and "having" ECs isn't enough to guarantee an invite everywhere, but saying that it is "random" is a pretty big slight to people that did get interviews.

It's always weird how some schools work...sometimes I wonder if there is in fact randomness or some "calculation" involved to see who gets interviews.

Btw great username :laugh:

It's always weird how some schools work...sometimes I wonder if there is in fact randomness or some "calculation" involved to see who gets interviews.

Btw great username :laugh:

I'm sure it varies from school to school but the thing I like most about Columbia is their ability to put together a class of not only some of the brightest dental students, but amazing and involved people. I have D1 and D2 friends at a bunch of different schools, and I have made a point of visiting all of the schools that I was invited to and "hanging out" with my friends and their classmates. Of the four I visited one was awful, full of gunners and antisocial study-bugs, two were alright with no real sense of community but not a horrible place to spend four years, and then there was Columbia.

The students I interacted with were so smart, but in a cooperative "lets all work together to get through dental school" kind of way rather than the "I don't socialize outside of school because you are enemy #1 to me getting an ortho residency" like the first school I mentioned was. They were super social and even though the D1 class had only known each other for a month they already seemed like a family.

Idk what their method is, but I definitely don't think you can craft classes that are that awesome through "randomness" where as that first school I visited, which attracts a lot of the same pre-dentals, was so unpleasant to spend a weekend at. I think a lot of this has to do with their interview process. From everything I have heard the interviews are super chill and them just checking to make sure you are a social and personable student rather than someone who just spent all of their time at university studying. To me their whole GPA/DAT spread really shouts this too. IMO GPA is pretty much a reflection of how hard you work/how much time you dedicate to studying, and DAT is more of a measure of innate intelligence. Columbia's classes tend to have high (23+) DAT, indicating that they are pretty bright, but low-ish GPAs compared to other "top" schools (~3.5ish). Anyone getting a 23 DAT would probably have a great GPA if they book-wormed it through college, but the lower GPA shows that you were involved in hobbies and clubs outside of school (and this is 100% just my theory/me word-vomiting, if you disagree/are personally offended by this plz message me and we can chat about it!). Not saying they don't love great GPAs, but they seem to be a lot more lenient about that than about DAT.

One thing I noticed was that a lot of the students had a lot of involvement during their undergrad. Not like the whole "resume-building involvement" BS like the pre-dental clubs or GPA-based honor societies or the such. There were a lot of sorority/fraternity girls and guys, a lot of athletes of different levels, a handful of theater and band people. Basically, the vibe I got was that Columbia was very interested in having bright/social people that want to be dentists in the future but are well rounded and explored their passions in college.

End rant :-D I'm just so happy I got an interview! I will be seeing you all on October 23rd!

Reactions: 5 users
Hello!

Thanks for replying to me. I do agree they want well rounded people.

Last edited:
I'm sure it varies from school to school but the thing I like most about Columbia is their ability to put together a class of not only some of the brightest dental students, but amazing and involved people. I have D1 and D2 friends at a bunch of different schools, and I have made a point of visiting all of the schools that I was invited to and "hanging out" with my friends and their classmates. Of the four I visited one was awful, full of gunners and antisocial study-bugs, two were alright with no real sense of community but not a horrible place to spend four years, and then there was Columbia.

The students I interacted with were so smart, but in a cooperative "lets all work together to get through dental school" kind of way rather than the "I don't socialize outside of school because you are enemy #1 to me getting an ortho residency" like the first school I mentioned was. They were super social and even though the D1 class had only known each other for a month they already seemed like a family.

Idk what their method is, but I definitely don't think you can craft classes that are that awesome through "randomness" where as that first school I visited, which attracts a lot of the same pre-dentals, was so unpleasant to spend a weekend at. I think a lot of this has to do with their interview process. From everything I have heard the interviews are super chill and them just checking to make sure you are a social and personable student rather than someone who just spent all of their time at university studying. To me their whole GPA/DAT spread really shouts this too. IMO GPA is pretty much a reflection of how hard you work/how much time you dedicate to studying, and DAT is more of a measure of innate intelligence. Columbia's classes tend to have high (23+) DAT, indicating that they are pretty bright, but low-ish GPAs compared to other "top" schools (~3.5ish). Anyone getting a 23 DAT would probably have a great GPA if they book-wormed it through college, but the lower GPA shows that you were involved in hobbies and clubs outside of school (and this is 100% just my theory/me word-vomiting, if you disagree/are personally offended by this plz message me and we can chat about it!). Not saying they don't love great GPAs, but they seem to be a lot more lenient about that than about DAT.

One thing I noticed was that a lot of the students had a lot of involvement during their undergrad. Not like the whole "resume-building involvement" BS like the pre-dental clubs or GPA-based honor societies or the such. There were a lot of sorority/fraternity girls and guys, a lot of athletes of different levels, a handful of theater and band people. Basically, the vibe I got was that Columbia was very interested in having bright/social people that want to be dentists in the future but are well rounded and explored their passions in college.

End rant :-D I'm just so happy I got an interview! I will be seeing you all on October 23rd!
Awesome read. Thanks

Anyone care to share their interview experience?

I have a 3.1 GPA :-( 26AA 26TS w/ 4 yrs of army service. Heard nothing from CU yet..

Hello!

Thanks for replying to me. I do agree they want well rounded people. I'd really appreciate it though if you did not make assumptions about my ECs... i have followed many passions in undergrad and i have interviews to other ivy leagues. I just was expecting once from columbia also and haven't gotten one so far so I expressed my concern.

I wouldn't be as presumptuous as to say it's random. They put in a lot of work to fill the class with great people. Not to say you are or aren't a nice, well-rounded person. There may be reasons that they won't pick you, reasons they do pick you, or neither. They may just find 80 other people they picked before you. If it's meant to be it'll happen.

And Columbia dental is very different from the other ivy leagues.

they haven't filled up their November interviews, right?

Did any of you guys send thank you emails after your interview?

This makes me happy. I can swing that.

That's kind of how I am feeling. I'm going to go out on a limb and say that with your username/picture combination you are probably a hysterical person and will interview excellently.

That's kind of how I am feeling. I'm going to go out on a limb and say that with your username/picture combination you are probably a hysterical person and will interview excellently.

That's nice of you! I get told that I'm funny rather often, but I don't think I'm going to be dropping jokes left and right at my interview haha. Not the vibe I want to leave people with...

Columbia send me something please! 3.5-3.6 with 23/24 DAT and tons of research. Come on

Has anyone interviewed yet? And if so, wanna tell us about your experience? :) Thanks!

Interview itself was very laid back but I'm told this can vary based on who you get as your interviewer. Not too many questions were asked (3 maybe?), most of it was just conversation. The interview day is somewhat long, there are a lot of various presentations and talks and the tour at the end but fortunately the interview takes place early on in the day.

I don't think they start interviewing until next friday

They started about 2 weeks ago

Last edited:
Thanks for replying! Honestly, I feel like any school's interview can be like that. It all depends on who you get as an interviewer. Hopefully I get a good one... Hahah

What was your impression of the school?

I really liked it, personally. For the most part it's in a very large building (with a lot of floors) that's pretty modern looking on the inside. Facilities looked modern as well. Didn't get to see too many students (possibly due to the day my interview was) but the few we did meet were genuinely nice and spoke highly of the school. The atmosphere seems to be very collaborative (as opposed to competitive) which is great. They go into a lot of depth about the curriculum, extracurricular opportunities, research opportunities, etc. Depending on how much you like living in the city, that's a huge plus as well.

Interviewing here in October.
Science GPA: 3.61, Overall GPA: 3.78
DAT: 24 AA/23 TS

Pretty average shadowing/research/volunteering stats.

Good luck to everyone!

Ah that's exciting to hear :) where else have you interviewed so far? Can't wait to visit Columbia though!
I also interviewed on Friday- my interviewer was also very conversational and he didn't grill me at all. Heads up- the tour is relatively long and with lots of walking- so I would recommend bringing flats/wearing flats for the tour part. Also would recommend public transportation in the morning (it's easy to navigate via Google maps, cheap), as the subway stop is right in front of the school.

Reactions: 2 users
Thank you for the advice!! Also, not to sound creepy, but I think I met you at the Pitt interview! Getting coffee at the Hampton Inn. haha good luck on the rest of your interviews!!
You did! Haha thanks- good luck to you too!

I have a question for those who interviewed there already: the reminder email says that a photo is required and a computer photo is fine. I'm not sure what it means - can i bring a digital photo on a flash drive or does it have to be a hard copy?

Last year I printed out a horrendous quality (my printer nearly ran out of ink the night before) 2x2 inch square photo. I apologized for the quality, and the woman was very sweet and told me not to worry. I don't know about whether bringing a digital copy is okay, but I would say if you have access to a printer just go for that.

Not sure at the reliability of this but I heard from a friend that interviewed last Friday that they are out of pre-2016 interview slots

Does anybody have suggestions for places to stay that are close, or a short taxi/bus ride away?

Thanks!

Does anybody have suggestions for places to stay that are close, or a short taxi/bus ride away?

Thanks!

Anywhere off the A or 1 subway, no matter how down the island you get, will get you there in <20min so really wherever you find the best combination of rates and reviews. Just make sure you get on the express train, not the local train, or it'll take 3x longer. It's $2.50/ride on the subway, don't take the bus if you're not familiar, and taxis are the easiest but the lack of nearby hotels will make it an expensive ($30+) ride

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Anywhere off the A or 1 subway, no matter how down the island you get, will get you there in <20min so really wherever you find the best combination of rates and reviews. Just make sure you're on the express train, not the local train, or it'll take 3x longer. It's $2.50/ride on the subway, don't take the bus if you're not familiar, and taxis are the easiest but the lack of nearby hotels will make it an expensive ($30+) ride
Much appreciated!

Much appreciated!

No problem. The city can be a confusing place. Luckily getting to P&S is super easy... Actually getting to the dental school office is literally impossible alone so if you're feeling lost once you get into the building definitely ask for directions... Probably will need to multiple times haha

Not sure at the reliability of this but I heard from a friend that interviewed last Friday that they are out of pre-2016 interview slots

I have an interview next Friday. I'll try to do do some detective work and figure out whether it's true or not from someone more official hahaha