*Official CSU East Bay PHAP Postbac Program Thread*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CSUEBPHAP

CSU East Bay PHAP Postbac
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
This is the Official California State University, East Bay Pre-Professional Health Academic (PHAP) Postbaccalaureate Program Thread on SDN. This account is currently maintained by PHAP Resources Assistant/PHAA Club Marketing Chair, who are postbac students themselves. Please keep it professional and courteous as we will try our best to address your questions and concerns in a timely manner.

For official PHAP questions, please email [email protected].

For PHAA Club questions, please email [email protected].

PHAP Website (College of Science): http://www20.csueastbay.edu/csci/departments/phap/postbac.html

PHAP Website (Continuing Education Dept): http://www.ce.csueastbay.edu/certificate/prehealth/index.shtml

PHAA Club Website: http://phapclub.webs.com/

===============================================

California State University East Bay’s Pre-Professional Health Academic Program (PHAP)
is specifically structured for post baccalaureate students since its formal inception in 2010. PHAP prepares students interested in health professional careers (medicine, dentistry, pharmacy, optometry, veterinary science, physical therapy, and selected allied health programs) for application to these doctoral programs. PHAP is a goal-oriented, focused program that combines high quality academic instruction with entrance test preparation, research, and community service opportunities, growth and development of important personal characteristics, mentoring, tutoring, and general advising.

Pre-Professional Health Academic Association (PHAA) was created to establish an official student-run club for students to participate in active leadership roles and become liaisons for the student body, faculty, and staff. PHAA believes in the philosophy of helping pre-health students become well-prepared, well-rounded applicants during their time at CSU East Bay. The mission of PHAA is to provide mentoring, networking, and opportunities to help pre-health students excel and succeed in the journey to get into professional schools while fostering the growth of the community around them.

Members don't see this ad.

When should we be hearing back for the winter cohort? I applied a few days ago.

Hello TheMission,

Since you just applied a few days ago, we ask for your patience as the application process is quite extensive. You need to be cleared by the University, Graduate, and finally, PHAP before you are accepted and admitted into the program. It could be anywhere from weeks to months depending on if you have successfully submitted everything accordingly. The thing that holds up the process the most is TRANSCRIPTS. Make sure all transcripts from every institution you attended has been submitted and it indicates that you have a bachelor's degree. In about a month, you can call our office, (510)885-4764, and check on your status and see where it's at. You can also check your status online through CSUMentor. Hope that helps!

Members don't see this ad :)
This is the Official California State University, East Bay Pre-Professional Health Academic (PHAP) Postbaccalaureate Program Thread on SDN. This account is currently maintained by PHAP Resources Assistant/PHAA Club Marketing Chair, who are postbac students themselves. Please keep it professional and courteous as we will try our best to address your questions and concerns in a timely manner.

For official PHAP questions, please email [email protected].

For PHAA Club questions, please email [email protected].

PHAP Website (College of Science): http://www20.csueastbay.edu/csci/departments/phap/postbac.html

PHAP Website (Continuing Education Dept): http://www.ce.csueastbay.edu/certificate/prehealth/index.shtml

PHAA Club Website: http://phapclub.webs.com/

===============================================
California State University East Bay’s Pre-Professional Health Academic Program (PHAP) is specifically structured for post baccalaureate students since its formal inception in 2010. PHAP prepares students interested in health professional careers (medicine, dentistry, pharmacy, optometry, veterinary science, physical therapy, and selected allied health programs) for application to these doctoral programs. PHAP is a goal-oriented, focused program that combines high quality academic instruction with entrance test preparation, research, and community service opportunities, growth and development of important personal characteristics, mentoring, tutoring, and general advising.

Pre-Professional Health Academic Association (PHAA) was created to establish an official student-run club for students to participate in active leadership roles and become liaisons for the student body, faculty, and staff. PHAA believes in the philosophy of helping pre-health students become well-prepared, well-rounded applicants during their time at CSU East Bay. The mission of PHAA is to provide mentoring, networking, and opportunities to help pre-health students excel and succeed in the journey to get into professional schools while fostering the growth of the community around them.

Hi:
I'm considering this program as an academic enhancer as a current UC student. I was wondering what are the statistics for students applying to professional school and acceptances?

Thank you!

Reactions: 1 user
Hello,

I applied for the Cal State East Bay’s Pre-Professional Health Academic Program 2015 Winter Quarter. I just checked MyCSUEB online and had gotten an “Intent to Register (SIR) link under my to do list. It says the program is for the “PB Certificate EXT”? Does EXT mean extension? Did I mistakenly apply for Open University extension or is that the same. I was applying for the Pre-Professional Health Academic Program.
Also I have a non science degree and took pre-med courses. Do I fall under Career Changer or Academic Enhancer Track II?
Any information would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!

Just applied to the career changer program for Fall 2015. Graduated with a BS in Exercise Science in May 2014. I had a few questions

1. When are classes offered? I've heard both during the day and evening.
2. Are classes taken with undergrad students? What is the size of a class?
3. Are there research opportunities available?
4. Can anyone explain the system that the school is on? I'm used to a semester but I've heard this is different.
5. Last but not least, has anyone worked during the program? How difficult was it to do this?

Thank you in advance for your responses.

Hi,

I am a pre-dental student looking for a post-bacc program in California. I am about to graduate from a four-year university with a bachelors and I have already completed all my dental school prerequisites. I was wondering if the CSU East Bay PostBac accepts pre-dental students and DAT scores and whether this program will suit me?

Thanks!

Just applied to the career changer program for Fall 2015. Graduated with a BS in Exercise Science in May 2014. I had a few questions

4. Can anyone explain the system that the school is on? I'm used to a semester but I've heard this is different.
5. Last but not least, has anyone worked during the program? How difficult was it to do this?

Atorres,

Classes are offered during day time and night time. You will be taking classes with other postbacc students only. The size of classes are 20-25 students. The school runs the quarter system. The program is not that difficult.

Hi,

I am a pre-dental student looking for a post-bacc program in California. I am about to graduate from a four-year university with a bachelors and I have already completed all my dental school prerequisites. I was wondering if the CSU East Bay PostBac accepts pre-dental students and DAT scores and whether this program will suit me?

Thanks!
They definitely accept pre-dental students. DAT scores are not factored into admission, but you need to have at least a 3.0 to be competitive.

learn4gain,

Thanks for your response. Have you tried working while taking classes? Where do students usually live during the program? My fiancé and I will be relocating and have looked at apartments in Hayward. Also, how do people expect to pay for classes aside from financial aid?

Just got accepted on Monday for fall 2015 quarter! I am pre-dental.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello,

I applied for the Cal State East Bay’s Pre-Professional Health Academic Program 2015 Winter Quarter. I just checked MyCSUEB online and had gotten an “Intent to Register (SIR) link under my to do list. It says the program is for the “PB Certificate EXT”? Does EXT mean extension? Did I mistakenly apply for Open University extension or is that the same. I was applying for the Pre-Professional Health Academic Program.
Also I have a non science degree and took pre-med courses. Do I fall under Career Changer or Academic Enhancer Track II?
Any information would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!

Hello Aspr2BCaringDr.,

Yes PB Certificate is correct, please accept your Intent to register asap.

We would recommend you talk to an advisor about whether or not you are CC or AE. Usually non-science applicants are CCs but if you took the bulk/majority of the pre-reqs you may qualify for AE.

Classes are offered both day and evening.

The classes are exclusively ONLY for post-bac with 15 - 30 students per class.

Research opportunities are not officially provided by the program but you may connect with some our of professors and pursue research projects with them.

Currently, CSUEB is in the quarter system but it is slowly changing to semester. Advisors will inform you when the transition happens.

Many of students work during the program. It depends on your lifestyle and what you need to accomplish. Some students do a full load of 3-4 courses AND work and perform fine. Some students can only handle 2 classes and work. Some students do not work at all and focus on academics while taking out loans. You know yourself best and speaking with an advisor may help.

Please email [email protected] to schedule an appointment with an advisor.

Hi,

Thanks!

If you have completed your pre-reqs but need more classes, then you will apply for the Academic Enhancer track. DAT scores are not considered for admission. GPA requirement of 2.8+ is required.

learn4gain,

Thanks for your response. Have you tried working while taking classes? Where do students usually live during the program? My fiancé and I will be relocating and have looked at apartments in Hayward. Also, how do people expect to pay for classes aside from financial aid?

Students have worked while taking classes. It entirely depends on their schedule and lifestyle.

Students live nearby on campus grounds or in Hayward or commute from home. The Facebook group is a great resource for seeking more info about roommates and housing.

Financial aid is only available the first 12 months of your postbac career. After the first 12 months, students can take our private loans or pay the tuition fees themselves.

I'm also considering this program. Is GPA the only thing they look at? Will you get rejected for the enhancer track if your GPA is too high? (because this is supposed to be for students who want to improve their GPA.)

I'm currently attending UC Davis and will graduate with a BS degree in Spring Quarter 2015. I will apply for the 2015-2016 program. Will I need to send my transcript now or after I graduate in Spring?

Anyone have any input on housing or commuting to campus.
(I want to start planning just in case the UC Consortium doesn't work out).

I am from SoCal so this is gonna be one hell of a commitment.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm also considering this program. Is GPA the only thing they look at? Will you get rejected for the enhancer track if your GPA is too high? (because this is supposed to be for students who want to improve their GPA.)
GPA is the only factor that PHAP looks at. You will not get rejected if your GPA is high.

I'm currently attending UC Davis and will graduate with a BS degree in Spring Quarter 2015. I will apply for the 2015-2016 program. Will I need to send my transcript now or after I graduate in Spring?
You need to send in your transcripts when it shows that you have been awarded a BS degree.

I am considering applying for this program, however I am also planning on applying to medical schools in June, would this program be beneficial if I was taking classes while simultaneously applying for medical schools? I know that the schools would be able to request my fall and winter quarter transcripts if needed, and obviously if I do not gain acceptance to medical school, the program will help for my following year of applications. I guess what I'm trying to ask is have people done this program while applying to medical school/are any of you guys planning on doing that?

I am considering applying for this program, however I am also planning on applying to medical schools in June, would this program be beneficial if I was taking classes while simultaneously applying for medical schools? I know that the schools would be able to request my fall and winter quarter transcripts if needed, and obviously if I do not gain acceptance to medical school, the program will help for my following year of applications. I guess what I'm trying to ask is have people done this program while applying to medical school/are any of you guys planning on doing that?
Yes, it would be beneficial if your stats (GPA) is not high enough. I know of many students who have done this in the past and it has worked out for them .

You need to send in your transcripts when it shows that you have been awarded a BS degree.

Just to hop in on this, if your transcripts take forward to show your degree on it (Berkeley when I graduated took 6 weeks) you can get a letter from the registrar saying you graduated and that was sufficient when I was in the program to allow you to register.

You would have to send your official transcript when it was available though.

Do students enrolled in the formal program get any sort of registration priority?
What do advisers do for you exactly? I've always fended for myself so thats very new for me...

@BamaNicole did you do any research/volunteer work while enrolled? if so, off or on-campus?

I'll answer your first question as well. Advisors help you select classes that fit your needs. For example, lets say you took your pre-reqs and you weren't sure what upper division classes would help you. They can help you with that. You are promised classes as the ones that you register for are only for PHAP students. I always fended for myself too...but our advisors are pretty awesome. I had Dr. Owens (who isn't there anymore) who helped me edit my personal statement. Dr. Ancheta is still there and he is awesome.

I did a little research on campus but its really few and far between. You can get research opportunities at UCSF, sometimes Stanford and at Oakland's children ( I think its bennioff's now). I did volunteer as well. I volunteered at the rota care clinic near my home. On campus, there are more opportunities that sometimes clubs and organizations put on....much more than when I was there. Just keep a look out for things on the Facebook page and the list serve.

so even the upper division classes are strictly for PHAP students? that could turn out to be less than 10 students per class, no?

Could be. I've heard of them canceling classes because there was under 10 but I've personally had 6 in my calculus classes, 7 in my MCB and 8 in my Immunology class.

That actually sounds amazing - did you get any letters from any of those professors? (was it hard getting letters?)

Two of my five letters (excluding one that is the committee letter) was from letters from professors there. Dr. Owens wrote one of my letters and I felt very comfortable asking her since she was like a mentor to me. I didn't find it hard at all to get a letter from professors. I had professors offering to write me letters when I had already had my limit. Just work hard and seek out their help. They're there to help you succeed.

Ah, I was under the impression there wasn't a committee letter but maybe the FAQ on the old website isn't up to date. if you don't mind me asking, where were your other 3 letters from?

I don't think there was at first but to my understanding its still there. It was in 2013 when I applied.

I don't mind. I'll give you a piece of advice an admissions officer also gave me. Make sure that if you have something marked as a most meaningful experience you also have a letter from that experience. It can look a bit odd otherwise. My three letters were the committee letter, a letter from a professor at my undergraduate institution who was the leader of a group I was in as well as my mentor whom I worked with in a clinic for over a year who is a MD.

I swear this will be my last question -- thank you so much btw,

why did you choose CSU over other schools in the Bay Area (Berkeley, SFSU)?

Well to get into the post bac program at UC Berkeley extension you had to have taken zero science classes....which I had two so that disqualified me. SFSU seemed like it was too hard to get to logistic wise with parking, bridge toll, traffic....etc. I did my undergrad at Berkeley.

I guess it changed because you can now apply to UBX to raise GPA.

yep had to have changed. They had an official program when i was looking at programs or you could take classes a al carte. You could only get financial aid if you were in the official program. That was there requirements back then.

Accepted for Fall 2015... waiting to hear back from cal state LA before making a decision, but would like to know if anyone has any info regarding housing?? Thanks!

Accepted for Fall 2015... waiting to hear back from cal state LA before making a decision, but would like to know if anyone has any info regarding housing?? Thanks!

me too! waiting for touro and sfsu's decision at this point.

Also, I got a question

@BamaNicole , was registering for classes a frenzy? Because I may have to wait until early August to submit my Register Intent form and that seems quite late. I just hope it's not like my undergrad where I had to snipe classes at 5 am in the morning.

me too! waiting for touro and sfsu's decision at this point.

Also, I got a question

@BamaNicole , was registering for classes a frenzy? Because I may have to wait until early August to submit my Register Intent form and that seems quite late. I just hope it's not like my undergrad where I had to snipe classes at 5 am in the morning.

It *can* be if you want a certain class at a certain time. I believe you're still guaranteed your classes though. I wasn't admitted until early August and couldn't register until mid august. I still got into the classes I needed to get as a career changer.

does anyone know when the PHAP program starts??

Students have worked while taking classes. It entirely depends on their schedule and lifestyle.

Students live nearby on campus grounds or in Hayward or commute from home. The Facebook group is a great resource for seeking more info about roommates and housing.

Financial aid is only available the first 12 months of your postbac career. After the first 12 months, students can take our private loans or pay the tuition fees themselves.

On the PHAP website, it says that financial aid such as FAFSA is not available for certificate programs. When you say financial aid is only available the first 12 months of the postbacc, are you referring to federal aid such as federal student loans? Thanks!

On the PHAP website, it says that financial aid such as FAFSA is not available for certificate programs. When you say financial aid is only available the first 12 months of the postbacc, are you referring to federal aid such as federal student loans? Thanks!

Yeah, it's fed loans..and it usually caps around 5500/year.--source: finaid office of csueb.

Hi all,

This question is more for people who have attended or are currently in the PHAP program. I just applied, like literally a few days ago. Already had all colleges I attended send official transcripts. I applied for Career Changer and I wanted to know a rough estimate of the costs based by quarter or yearly. I know it's currently $383/unit, and I worked out it could potentially be around $40k by the end of the 2 years, but I'm not sure if I calculated that correctly. Any info and advice would be great!

I also wanted to know if there's a possibility of me still being eligible for 2015-2016 attendance? I know I signed up a little late in the game, but I've already sent everything over the PHAP program requested.

Thank you!

Hi all,

This question is more for people who have attended or are currently in the PHAP program. I just applied, like literally a few days ago. Already had all colleges I attended send official transcripts. I applied for Career Changer and I wanted to know a rough estimate of the costs based by quarter or yearly. I know it's currently $383/unit, and I worked out it could potentially be around $40k by the end of the 2 years, but I'm not sure if I calculated that correctly. Any info and advice would be great!

I also wanted to know if there's a possibility of me still being eligible for 2015-2016 attendance? I know I signed up a little late in the game, but I've already sent everything over the PHAP program requested.

Thank you!

I think it ended up being around 31k for the two years. It worked out to be over 15k a year.

I cannot comment on eligibility because its rolling admissions (I think it still is) I applied in June when I was in the program and was accepted in August.

I think it ended up being around 31k for the two years. It worked out to be over 15k a year.

I cannot comment on eligibility because its rolling admissions (I think it still is) I applied in June when I was in the program and was accepted in August.

Hmm, it looks like I'm definitely going to have to take out some loans, and possibly work part time.

I totally forgot about the rolling admissions part, but thanks for reminding me! I also applied for FAFSA and just got approved, so hopefully things will get going by the summer.

Thanks for your reply!

Do you by any chance know if all of these courses are only at the Hayward campus, or can some of them be taken at the Concord campus?

Do you by any chance know if all of these courses are only at the Hayward campus, or can some of them be taken at the Concord campus?

When I was there, only upper division classes were offered on the concord campus . However, I believe that has changed. I think some of the pre-reqs are offered there now but maybe a current or more recent graduate could comment more on that.

When I was there, only upper division classes were offered on the concord campus . However, I believe that has changed. I think some of the pre-reqs are offered there now but maybe a current or more recent graduate could comment more on that.

Well that still gives me peace of mind. Don't mind commuting though. Thanks for replying!

I applied for the Academic Enhancer for the Fall 2015 cohort. How long does it take after applying to hear back if you were accepted or rejected?

Any insight on the timeline would be great!

Thank you.

I applied for the Academic Enhancer for the Fall 2015 cohort. How long does it take after applying to hear back if you were accepted or rejected?

Thank you.
My application was complete 3/3 and I was accepted on 4/10. GL

Most courses are offered on Hayward Campus. General chemistry, Biology and Physics are only offered at Hayward campus. Organic chemistry is sometimes offered at Concord campus during Fall/Winter/Spring quarter. For summer, Organic chemistry is only offered at Concord campus. Some upper division class (very few) are offered in Concord campus throughout the year. One course (principles of microbiology+L) is only offered at Concord campus.

Thank you.
It will take some time (3 to 4 weeks) to hear back from them.