*Official CSU East Bay PHAP Postbac Program Thread*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'm a previous student and I'm a current medical student. I was a career changer. The students from what I've seen have been actually pretty successful. The ones that seemed to be the most successful was the AET track students. I felt that the classes were similar to undergrad but better in that they were small in terms of class size. Every professor was approachable that I had and seemed to care about the students. I felt like the workload was very doable. I had a long commute and worked part time.

Hi Bama Nicole! Thank you for being so helpful in these forums. I was just accepted to the Career Changer program at CSUEB for next fall. I was wondering if I could pick your brain a little bit?

I graduated from UCLA a couple of years ago with a B.A. and 3.81 GPA. I have taught at a high school for the past two years and recently decided to go back to school full time. I haven't taken math or science in a while. Did you do any refresher courses before jumping into your first quarter of career changer courses?

I will be commuting from El Cerrito. Where were you commuting from and was it bad? I have lived in L.A. for the past six years, so I am used to awful traffic...

Thank you!

Also, any other students out there who were accepted to career changer for Fall 2016? Looking forward to meeting you! :happy:

Members don't see this ad.

Hi Bama Nicole! Thank you for being so helpful in these forums. I was just accepted to the Career Changer program at CSUEB for next fall. I was wondering if I could pick your brain a little bit?

I graduated from UCLA a couple of years ago with a B.A. and 3.81 GPA. I have taught at a high school for the past two years and recently decided to go back to school full time. I haven't taken math or science in a while. Did you do any refresher courses before jumping into your first quarter of career changer courses?

I will be commuting from El Cerrito. Where were you commuting from and was it bad? I have lived in L.A. for the past six years, so I am used to awful traffic...

Thank you!

Also, any other students out there who were accepted to career changer for Fall 2016? Looking forward to meeting you! :happy:

I didn't take any refresher courses at all. I took Trig the semester before I entered at a community college because they said I should but no science classes. I lived 60 miles away.....I literally clocked it from my drive way to the parking lot. So i drove 120 miles everyday I had class...which was monday-thursday. It sucked....no nice way to say it but when you want something you find a way to make it work. I drove by El Cerrito every day....I think that's perfectly acceptable. I will say that Berkeley traffic on the I-80 is awful so either get cozy with bad roads, leave around before or after rush hour or take Bart.

Reactions: 1 user
I didn't take any refresher courses at all. I took Trig the semester before I entered at a community college because they said I should but no science classes. I lived 60 miles away.....I literally clocked it from my drive way to the parking lot. So i drove 120 miles everyday I had class...which was monday-thursday. It sucked....no nice way to say it but when you want something you find a way to make it work. I drove by El Cerrito every day....I think that's perfectly acceptable. I will say that Berkeley traffic on the I-80 is awful so either get cozy with bad roads, leave around before or after rush hour or take Bart.

Okay, that makes me feel a little better. It sounds like you have a lot of determination!

What did your first quarter look like? Were you taking Chem, Physics, and Bio at the same time? Or just two science classes and Calc?

Members don't see this ad :)
Okay, that makes me feel a little better. It sounds like you have a lot of determination!

What did your first quarter look like? Were you taking Chem, Physics, and Bio at the same time? Or just two science classes and Calc?

So technically my first quarter was light because I didn't have the money to pay for the third class. I just took Chem and Bio. The normal schedule and one i would suggest that most people do is Chem, Physics and Bio. I did Calc the summer going into my second year in the program.

Anyone apply recently and got accepted?

Hi!

I applied to AE Fall 2016 and sent my transcripts about a month ago. My institutions all say they were sent but PHAP and the admissions office at CSUEB say they haven't received anything. Stressing out! Anyone have issues with transcripts before?

Maybe there is a delay time between sending and receiving transcripts?

Also, I'm a UCLA graduate from 2012 with a 3.4 GPA molecular bio, does anyone know if I'll have trouble getting in? I hear its getting competitive. Thanks!

Hi! I'm a current PHAP student and a past bruin :) looking at your stats, I don't think you'll have a problem getting in. Resend your transcripts! Sometimes they get lost

I got accepted for the Winter 2016 term but couldn't attend due to financial constraints, so I re-applied for the Fall 2016 term. Anyone know if getting in once will help my application? Nervous they'll deny me the 2nd time around and I may have lost out on a great opportunity :(
I don't think you'll have a problem, so don't worry! Just reapply and you'll be fine. Remember to apply early though

Hey all,
I'm interested in applying to the AE track. What I lack most as a med school applicant is direction. I've been blindly taking the premed prerequisites but I need a lot more help in terms of advising. Do you get a lot of opportunity for relevant clinical experience/research/ community service here? Do the advisors keep you on track? Do they help you figure out the best timeline for you to begin applying for med school? Are the professors approachable enough to easily obtain recommendation letters? Initially, I planned on taking upper div science classes at community college for the sake of acquiring letters of recommendation because it's difficult for me to do that at my home institution (Berkeley). The greatest appeal from this program to me are the small class sizes and that it is a structured program intended to help you get into grad school, so I'd hope that the faculty is a lot more supportive than what I'd get at a community college or UC.
Hi! Im currently in the program and I love it. The small class sizes really help with connecting you with your peers and teachers. There is actually a merit scholarship for students that have taken 20 units which require 2 LORS from phap professors, so yes, they will end up getting to know you. Of course, you have to put in the effort too. Personally, I recommend asking at least one professor from Berkeley for a letter of recommendation (yes, I know it's hard). I think it'd definitely diversify your application.

There are also counselors (actually select PHAP professors) to help with future goals and even more importantly, student advisors from each field (MD,DVM,DO,DDS,etc) that will definitely help you with the ins and outs of everything.

Hi! Im currently in the program and I love it. The small class sizes really help with connecting you with your peers and teachers. There is actually a merit scholarship for students that have taken 20 units which require 2 LORS from phap professors, so yes, they will end up getting to know you. Of course, you have to put in the effort too. Personally, I recommend asking at least one professor from Berkeley for a letter of recommendation (yes, I know it's hard). I think it'd definitely diversify your application.

There are also counselors (actually select PHAP professors) to help with future goals and even more importantly, student advisors from each field (MD,DVM,DO,DDS,etc) that will definitely help you with the ins and outs of everything.
Dear catwhiz, thanks for all your input in this thread! I just gained acceptance and was hoping you could share your experience thus far in this program. Are you a full time student? Do you commute to the campus? How are all the professors? Class sizes? Testing format? How many students are usually in the program? How do these course compare to a UC course or a community college course (if you can compare)?

I appreciate any input! Thank you!

Hi I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask this, but I was wondering if CSU East Bay offers science classes during the summer for non CSUEB students? I'm currently a Junior at Berkeley and wanted to start taking some additional science courses now before I graduate to help my gpa and possibly save some time from completing a formal post bacc like this one. Thanks!

CSUEB Postbacc was a great choice for me. I was accepted into dental school recently and I owe it to the program. The class size is on average around 30-40 students max but for the smaller classes it can be 15-20. It really depends on the professor you pick but most of them know you are trying to get into medical and dental school so they will try to help you specifically learn what is useful for health professional schools. I think my favorite part was the committee letter and seminar where they have a mock interview set up for you to pratice as well as a system so you can obtain a committee letter. My undergrad did not have that so I noticed what a big plus it was.

Reactions: 2 users
I was recently accepted for AET Fall 16 and am really excited to consider this as a possible opportunity. Does anyone have any tips on how I can better prepare myself, or anything i can do now to get off to a smooth start? i know it's rather early in the application process, and the majority of people will consider their long term plans a bit later, but any feedback would be greatly appreciated!

I was recently accepted for AET Fall 16 and am really excited to consider this as a possible opportunity. Does anyone have any tips on how I can better prepare myself, or anything i can do now to get off to a smooth start? i know it's rather early in the application process, and the majority of people will consider their long term plans a bit later, but any feedback would be greatly appreciated!

It is a bit early but you will learn a lot during orientation. My best advice is to find out who your student advisors will be for your cohort and contact them about what classes to take and advice. It really helped me since I knew which classes I could handle and which would be difficult. It's a bit early for the program to have assigned advisors for the next cohort but if you are really eager, then you can try to contact this spring's current student advisors.

Members don't see this ad :)
may i ask when did u submit your application?

Hey guys I just got accepted here and was wondering Who all on here got accepted for the Fall 2016 AET?!

Hey guys I just got accepted here and was wondering Who all on here got accepted for the Fall 2016 AET?!

hey!! I just got in to the Fall 2016 AET program too! Will you be going to the Preview Day?

I applied way back in January and got accepted a month after for the Fall 2016 AET program also! Not going to preview day, but if you're going, please share everything you learned!

plan of action for right now is to reach out to advisors....but student and faculty...and try to get your classes in order. I'd also make sure that financially you have everything in order as well. Your loans may not cover everything depending on your course load. Its better to know if you need an outside source of funding before you start.

Other than that relax before you have to work :)

Hi everyone,

I read this thread and the older one which redirected to this thread for a while now and a lot of the information has been very helpful. I am also a recent PHAP admit (career changer) and am very excited to begin my journey to medicine! All of your success stories are very inspiring and gives me hope. :joyful: Congrats to everyone and I look forward to the semester beginning.

As for planning courses, I have a background in physical sciences so I took all the math courses already. I wanted to know if I would have to take the Calculus courses again. I heard that you would have because it's a different career track so I wanted to confirm. Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Hey,

Did anyone attend Preview Day?
I wasn't able to so any information that someone could share with us would be amazing. Thanks!

Hey,

Did anyone attend Preview Day?
I wasn't able to so any information that someone could share with us would be amazing. Thanks!

Hi there!

My name is Ryan, and I will be in the career changer cohort next fall. I am really looking forward to meeting some fellow career changers out there. PM me your email and I will send over my notes from preview day.

Has anyone been able to sign up for classes? My registration date is so late!

Has anyone been able to sign up for classes? My registration date is so late!
I was just able to register today. I think the registration time for all PHAP students, at least the AE students, was 6/8/2016 at 8 AM.

I'm still waiting for an admission decision to the program. One of my transcripts is taking forever to process for whatever reason.

But now I'm worried since you guys are saying you are already registering for classes? Does this mean even if I get accepted I won't be able to get classes easily?

Also does anyone know if their Academic Enhancer class is full? Thanks

Hi
Hi there!

My name is Ryan, and I will be in the career changer cohort next fall. I am really looking forward to meeting some fellow career changers out there. PM me your email and I will send over my notes from preview day.

Hi! I just got accepted to the career changer track for Fall 2016. I was wondering if you already registered for classes? I tried enrolling today, and all the classes in biology, chemistry, and physics were closed?! I am really confused.

EDIT: Apparently, you have to go the blackboard bb.csueastbay.edu. There's a pdf guideline of what classes you need to take for fall 2016 and the course #. Instructions are on the PHAP Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/groups/phapcsueb/

Last edited:
For the academic enhancers, does this program offer upper division science courses? Also, do student generally receive financial aid?

And when is the deadline for CSU EB postbac if I want to start in the Fall? Is it in october..?

To answer your questions yes they are upper division science classes. Financial aid I believe so although i did not do it. And I do not know when the deadline is but October is too late, classes usually start late September.

Students have worked while taking classes. It entirely depends on their schedule and lifestyle.

Students live nearby on campus grounds or in Hayward or commute from home. The Facebook group is a great resource for seeking more info about roommates and housing.

Financial aid is only available the first 12 months of your postbac career. After the first 12 months, students can take our private loans or pay the tuition fees themselves.

What facebook page is this?

Hey guys, I'm starting fall 2016 for AET. Just sent in my final transcript from undergrad. How do I register for classes? Through blackboard? Someone please let me know. Thanks in advance.

I had a few questions about the postbac application:

1. Do we have to fill out the work experience and academic references?

2. Do we have to fill out the statement of purpose or did you put N/A?

Hey guys, I'm starting fall 2016 for AET. Just sent in my final transcript from undergrad. How do I register for classes? Through blackboard? Someone please let me know. Thanks in advance.

Register through the student center on CSUEB student portal. I bookmarked it. Here it is: https://cmsweb.csueastbay.edu/psp/HEBPRD/EMPLOYEE/HRMS/h/?tab=GUEST

I had a few questions about the postbac application:

1. Do we have to fill out the work experience and academic references?

2. Do we have to fill out the statement of purpose or did you put N/A?

No to the 1st. Optional of the 2nd I believe.

Hey guys, I just found out about this program and I am from california.

I am wondering (current students or for those who completed already and in medical school) what you guys think about this program and if it's good program to help students to matriculate into a professional program?

Do students usually fill out the AMCAS or AACOMAS or the one with dental program before the program starts? (for fall).

Thank you very much!

I have a question about FAFSA questions:

#29: Student's Grade Level in College in 2016-2017- What do we select?

#30: Type of Degree/Certificate- Would we select other/undecided?

THanks

Does anyone know if there will be more sections added for classes? I'm just now able to register and there are barely any classes available. The waitlists are pretty full also.

Does anyone know if there will be more sections added for classes? I'm just now able to register and there are barely any classes available. The waitlists are pretty full also.
Usually no since it is limited by faculty.

how do registration dates get determined?
They're usually the same every year and open at 8AM usually 2 and a half months prior to the start of term.

Do you offer any committee letters and premed advising?
If you mean the post-bacc, yes it does. It has both committee letters and faculty/peer advising for premeds.

Here are some stats from individuals who got accepted to dental school.

Attachments

• image1.jpeg
    image1.jpeg
    182 KB · Views: 149
  • IMG_2392.JPG
    IMG_2392.JPG
    135.5 KB · Views: 132
Hello all,

I submitted my application for Fall 2017 approximately one month ago. Has anyone been accepted or denied? Also, for those who are familiar with Hayward/Concord or currently enrolled in the program, any off campus housing information would be great!

Cheers! :)

They do. Unfortunate I did not have a chance to get those stats. When I get them I will upload it here.
Thanks so much Master Yoda. I want to find out number of MD/DO acceptances and which schools offer admissions.

Hello all,

I submitted my application for Fall 2017 approximately one month ago. Has anyone been accepted or denied? Also, for those who are familiar with Hayward/Concord or currently enrolled in the program, any off campus housing information would be great!

Hi! I also applied last month, on 3/28, updated couple to-do lists and now is just waiting~~~~ I think it normally takes at least 1 month to get decision back. I keep checking the portal for updates everyday! I will be doing pre-dental, what about you?

Hi! I also applied last month, on 3/28, updated couple to-do lists and now is just waiting~~~~ I think it normally takes at least 1 month to get decision back. I keep checking the portal four updates everyday! I will be doing pre-dental, what about you?

Hello!

Thanks for the input, much appreciated. I too am checking my application status daily, anxiously waiting... All I have to do is send my residency paperwork: tax, driver's licence, and living information. I hopefully will be doing pre-medical through the AET program. I will post any news to come, good luck! Oh and one more thing, will you or, anyone for that matter, be attending the preview day on May 6th? I have work that day, but I am debating if it's worth making a trip up...

Hello!

Thanks for the input, much appreciated. I too am checking my application status daily, anxiously waiting... All I have to do is send my residency paperwork: tax, driver's licence, and living information. I hopefully will be doing pre-medical through the AET program. I will post any news to come, good luck! Oh and one more thing, will you or, anyone for that matter, be attending the preview day on May 6th? I have work that day, but I am debating if it's worth making a trip up...

We are on the same page here, but I did submitted everything you mentioned last week, and it makes me more excited and anxious since the to do list is all cleared. I will update here once I hear anything from them.

I will not be able to attend that event since I live here in SoCal and got to work. I now just want to get feedback on my application, that is the most important thing for me now, because it's then ONLY postbacc program I applied. But if by attending Preview day will help the application, you should go! And if you have concerns and questions needed to be answered in order to make the future decision, then it's worth! That's my opinion~ Good luck for both of us!

Hi guys! I'm currently a new fourth year at an allopathic US school and I'm a PHAP alum. If you have any questions, please feel free to email me. I'm actually off rotations and I'm prepping for Step 2 CS and CK so I have a bit more time.

To kinda touch on a question on the previous page, I was a career changer and in the CC2 cohort. I felt very prepared for med school with the classes I had in PHAP. I especially am glad I took Immunology with Dr. Curr because that knowledge made my immunology in med school way easier to get through.

Anything else tag me here and I'll try to come back and answer.

Last edited:
Hi @BamaNicole!

I applied for CC program too, I have absolutely no science background besides things I've learned in high school which was very intense. Were you like me that has no science background at all, and have to start with general chem/bio courses? How was your experience compare to the peers in your classes? How long it took you to finish the PHAP?

Thank you so much! It's nice that someone can come back here to info us!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Hi @BamaNicole!

I applied for CC program too, I have absolutely no science background besides things I've learned in high school which was very intense. Were you like me that has no science background at all, and have to start with general chem/bio courses? How was your experience compare to the peers in your classes? How long it took you to finish the PHAP?

Thank you so much! It's nice that someone can come back here to info us!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Hi @fourxxx!
So I had a little bit of a science background as I took some pre-nursing classes when I was a freshman but to be honest it was nothing in comparison to what you do in these classes. I did start with the general chem and bio courses. It was hard for me at first since I was used to a semester system and the program is on quarter system. It moved a lot faster but you can get used to it. Most of my peers were also career changers so we were all in the same boat. I would suggest reading over what you are covering in class before class and then take notes/ come with questions to lecture. It helped me process the information in a better fashion. I finished the program in two years.