Official Emergency Medicine Shelf Exam Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NYBills987

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Sorry, I haven't seen this if there is a thread for this already. I know my school has switched to the NBME for the Emergency Medicine shelf. I was just wondering if a lot of other schools were already doing this and -- more importantly-- the best resources to use for the E. med shelf exam and what books might be best to use for it. It is a 4 week core rotation for us. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Bump! Same here. Does anyone have tips for this? :/

I took it at the end of August. My resources were Pre-test and the SAEM questions. IMO, it was the easiest shelf I have taken. I beat my previous shelf high by 4 points. Pre-test did a good job highlighting treatments in the ED that I hadn't encountered in previous clerkships like management of hyperthyroidism. I wasn't a fan of the SAEM questions, but did them anyways.

I think Pre-test is sufficient to pass. I did not use a text so I don't have any recommendations.

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone got any advice as far as what to study the week before? I've been slowly working through pre-test but haven't had much time to study since I've been working most days.