Official Harvard Extension 2012 Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
FYI, knowing the why will make your transition into orgo easier. Especially molecular orbital theory (hybrid orbitals, orbital energy diagrams) and resonance structures. And Lewis structures. And being intimately familiar with the nonmetals. Especially C, O, N, S, and the halogens. Also, understanding what activation energy is, and how it relates to how a reaction proceeds. And equilibrium. Leisurely summer review w/ a few beers. Hint, hint.

It's interesting how people learn - to me the "why" is really made clear in Chem. I guess not for everyone? I read the book for back-up just in case.

Are you offering to review us for some beer? This may need to happen.

Members don't see this ad.

It's interesting how people learn - to me the "why" is really made clear in Chem. I guess not for everyone? I read the book for back-up just in case.

Are you offering to review us for some beer? This may need to happen.

The "why" usually became clear to me only after I had chugged through some problems. The book was meh. I'm sure Chang is a nice man and everybody loves him, but his book bored me to tears.

How could I refuse beer? The snag is that I have summer physics, so it would have to be either before, or in the two weeks afterward.

The "why" usually became clear to me only after I had chugged through some problems. The book was meh. I'm sure Chang is a nice man and everybody loves him, but his book bored me to tears.

How could I refuse beer? The snag is that I have summer physics, so it would have to be either before, or in the two weeks afterward.

To be fair, yes. The Chem book is like sharpening a plastic fork. Very time consuming and boring until it becomes a weapon! I wish I had the time to take summer physics, I've heard it is a bit more user friendly.

Good luck on the Chem test everyone. If anyone wants a useful trick, I flipped and memorized the Arrhennius equation for an easier way to find Delta H or Activation Energy. Cuts down on some of the arithmetic:

Delta H = (T1xT2/ T2-T1) x R x ln(P2/P1)
Ea = (T1xT2/ T2-T1) x R x ln(k2/k1)

Members don't see this ad :)
Yep, we just had our first exam (electricity).

Are you planning on the summer + one year plan or a two year plan?

If you're dead set on the one year plan (which I would strongly recommend you not do) you have to take general chemistry during the summer, since it's a prerequisite for organic chemistry. You follow that up with Orgo, Bio and Physics during the year, and kiss your social life goodbye, because those classes will eat you up.

If you're going to do the two year plan, I would totally recommend biology first, especially coming from a non-science background. General biology will set the groundwork for many classes to come. Fixsen's class, while difficult, is supposedly an ideal introductory biology course, and it will prepare you beautifully for the MCAT. Taking Biology in the summer also opens your schedule up for a variety of upper level science electives. Cell biology, microbiology, molecular biology, genetics, etc. all require introductory biology.

If I were you I would set up my schedule as follows. Keep in mind this varies based on your EC activities and how much torture you want to put yourself through.
1. Summer Biology w/ Fixsen - start looking around for volunteer/EC activities, but make your priority earning that A
2. Chem and Physics with Tucci and Ruckner, respectively, this coming fall. Do not take a third course until you get the feel for their classes. Both can be time sinks if you suck at time management. Secure a good volunteer gig, and stay busy during the day.
3. Chem and Physics II, and Cell Biology next spring. This is my current schedule, and I find it both manageable and interesting. Cell bio really helps to hammer home concepts learned in introductory biology.
4. The following summer (if funds permit) molecular biology and biochemistry. Show those adcoms you can handle some tough upper level science coursework. Summer biochemistry does not require organic chemistry, and may even help you with the course when you take it during the year.
5. Organic Chemistry I and II and Anatomy and Physiology I and II the following fall and spring. Aim for a late April MCAT (since it only covers the first semester of O-Chem). Start studying after your fall finals. With your MCAT done at the end of April you have a least a week, week and a half, before finals. Scores come back at the end of May, and you're right on target for a nice and early application.

Hope this helps,

I see that you recommend taking Fixsen's biology course over the summer over Anderson's course during the fall and spring. Is Fixsen that much better of a professor that he can set you up for the MCAT in 6 weeks better than Anderson can over the course of several months? I'm planning on coming up for fall, but what you said about taking biology over the summer freeing you up for many more courses makes a lot of sense. I've heard Fixsen is fantastic, but I'm concerned that 8 credits in 6 weeks is a bit much. Do you know anyone that has done this? And if so, what have they said about it?

I have taken the summer biology course with Dr. Fixsen and he is an excellent professor. The beginning of the course is chemistry heavy, so it is recommended but not required that you take chemistry first. It's also much more expensive than the year long biology course. You can PM me with specific questions if you like.

I see that you recommend taking Fixsen's biology course over the summer over Anderson's course during the fall and spring. Is Fixsen that much better of a professor that he can set you up for the MCAT in 6 weeks better than Anderson can over the course of several months? I'm planning on coming up for fall, but what you said about taking biology over the summer freeing you up for many more courses makes a lot of sense. I've heard Fixsen is fantastic, but I'm concerned that 8 credits in 6 weeks is a bit much. Do you know anyone that has done this? And if so, what have they said about it?

I've heard that 8 credit summer courses are tough. It's a lot of material to digest in a very short amount of time. That said, if you treat it like a job and fully dedicate yourself to the course, I do not see why you'll finish under-prepared for the MCAT.

I think that if you're going to take any course over the summer, you should take Biology. Fixsen is a notoriously brilliant professor. You knock out the prereqs for upper level Bio courses like cell, molecular and A&P which will help fill any gaps in your knowledge that resulted from the condensed summer schedule.

I think that the key to taking a course over the summer is treating it like a job. Work your butt off outside of class, and you'll set yourself up for nothing but success.

Your rave reviews of dr. fixsen is starting derailing my plan for summer chem.

What do you guys average on rent? How close are you to campus?

Any of you have a car? Do you find it to be more of a hassle than a luxury?

Last edited:
Your rave reviews of dr. fixsen is starting derailing my plan for summer chem.

What do you guys average on rent? How close are you to campus?

Any of you have a car? Do you find it to be more of a hassle than a luxury?

Keep in mind, I never took bio with Fixsen - this is all "through the grapevine" type stuff. His class is notoriously difficult so if you aren't fully dedicated to it, things could get ugly.

Summer chem is a fine plan as well. Tucci is an absolutely outstanding professor as well, and Dr. Anderson wasn't horrible. Now that he has a few years of practice exams to provide exam preparation isn't the crapshot it was when he first started teaching.

Summer chemistry will also set you up nicely for bio in the fall, since there is some carry over. It will also allow you to start taking orgo.

I think it's a tossup, and its a hard recommendation to generalize.

Good luck everyone! May the rice be with you.

15100209.jpg

Hi Johnny, thanks for the response. I am mixed about taking summer session because I'm not clear whether taking G chem first or Bio first would be best. But since Fixsen teaches Bio in the summer would you recommend that route over G Chem with Tucci in summer (if we plan to take summer courses)?

I really wanted to know if there is a distinct advantage in taking summer bio with Fixsen, over the regular year (and you said G chem is necessary to know before taking Bio) - wouldn't Bio then in summer be a huge hurdle?

I'd also like to PM a few folks here who can share an experience perhaps, so please let me know if you're willing. Thank you.

Last edited:
Hi Johnny, thanks for the response. I am mixed about taking summer session because I'm not clear whether taking G chem first or Bio first would be best. But since Fixsen teaches Bio in the summer would you recommend that route over G Chem with Tucci in summer (if we plan to take summer courses)?

I really wanted to know if there is a distinct advantage in taking summer bio with Fixsen, over the regular year (and you said G chem is necessary to know before taking Bio) - wouldn't Bio then in summer be a huge hurdle?

I'd also like to PM a few folks here who can share an experience perhaps, so please let me know if you're willing. Thank you.

My understanding is that g chem is not required for Bio, BUT there is a little bit of g chem in the beginning of the bio course. There is no advantage with summer bio with Fixsen other than that people seem to like him more, while there seems to be mixed reviews from people about Anderson. The main decision on whether to take Bio or g chem in the summer is whether you're on the 1 or 2 year plan. Keep in mind that summer chem and bio are very intensive courses, jamming what would be 10 months of material into several weeks of it and it is a lot more expensive at the summer school.

I am starting in the summer and still undecided about whether I want to peruse the 1 or 2 year plan. I am leaning towards the 2 year plan because I feel like I need time for EC's activities and classes. So that means I'll probably be taking Bio 1 & 2 in the summer, gchem 1 & 2, physics 1 & 2, calculus 1 & 2 in the fall and spring. Then next summer ochem 1 & 2, which from everything I gather seems like a death sentence. This would just leave me with EC's an upper level classes and mcat prep.

Last edited:
My understanding is that g chem is not required for Bio, BUT there is a little bit of g chem in the beginning of the bio course. There is no advantage with summer bio with Fixsen other than that people seem to like him more, while there seems to be mixed reviews from people about Anderson. The main decision on whether to take Bio or g chem in the summer is whether you're on the 1 or 2 year plan. Keep in mind that summer chem and bio are very intensive courses, jamming what would be 10 months of material into several weeks of it and it is a lot more expensive at the summer school.

I am starting in the summer and still undecided about whether I want to peruse the 1 or 2 year plan. I am leaning towards the 2 year plan because I feel like I need time for EC's activities and classes. So that means I'll probably be taking Bio 1 & 2 in the summer, gchem 1 & 2, physics 1 & 2, calculus 1 & 2 in the fall and spring. Then next summer ochem 1 & 2, which from everything I gather seems like a death sentence. This would just leave me with EC's an upper level classes and mcat prep.

Exactly. It comes down to one or two year plan. The 8 credit summer courses are tough no matter what. Maybe people like Fixsen better, but he is definitely the harder A.

Soco - save Calc1 and Calc2 for your app year. Those are matriculation requirements, not application requirements. Your time is better spent with upper-level science electives

Members don't see this ad :)
Soco - save Calc1 and Calc2 for your app year. Those are matriculation requirements, not application requirements. Your time is better spent with upper-level science electives

Plus, if I am not mistaken, Calc and Chem (both general and orgo) are offered at the same time slot, so it's impossible to take both at the same time anyway.

Maybe it's because I've never taken a college level science class, but seems like taking 2 classes a semester, I don't know the word I'm looking for underdoing it? I don't plan on working, so unless I can line up a solid research position, I might have a lot of time on my hands with only 2 classes? At least I don't think I'm underestimating the rigor of the class? Going to see how bad summer bio or chem kicks my butt and plan my schedule from there.

Plus, if I am not mistaken, Calc and Chem (both general and orgo) are offered at the same time slot, so it's impossible to take both at the same time anyway.

You're right! Guess I have to talk Calc later.

Maybe it's because I've never taken a college level science class, but seems like taking 2 classes a semester, I don't know the word I'm looking for underdoing it? I don't plan on working, so unless I can line up a solid research position, I might have a lot of time on my hands with only 2 classes? At least I don't think I'm underestimating the rigor of the class? Going to see how bad summer bio or chem kicks my butt and plan my schedule from there.

You're right! Guess I have to talk Calc later.

I think a key difference (for me) is that when I was in undergrad, I had lecture 2 or 3 times a week, and so, we got our learnin in smaller, easier-to-digest pieces. At the Extension School, it's usually one lecture/week with one large chunk of info, and you spend a week digesting that larger chunk of material, instead of doing a shorter review/homework and taking nap/partying.

I think a key difference (for me) is that when I was in undergrad, I had lecture 2 or 3 times a week, and so, we got our learnin in smaller, easier-to-digest pieces. At the Extension School, it's usually one lecture/week with one large chunk of info, and you spend a week digesting that larger chunk of material, instead of doing a shorter review/homework and taking nap/partying.

That makes a lot of sense. I'm taking a class right now at my local state university to get warmed up for school work again. Hopefully I should hear back by next week whether I have been accepted in to the HCP. Is anyone else moving to Boston or looking for a roommate for the fall? I plan to move in early August.

Thanks for your feedback Randommemb and johnnyscans!!

I may be looking for a roommate/moving around that time too :)

Hope midterms went well for everyone! Two questions:
-anyone here research in the Charlestown annex of MGH? A bunch of my lab members are going to be out of town at the end of the month for a conference and I need lunch buddies :(
-anyone plan on attending the MDadmit gal's coffee talk next Friday? It'd be interesting to pick her brain, as I'm sure she's seen it all.

That's it for now. Winter is coming.

Hope midterms went well for everyone! Two questions:
-anyone here research in the Charlestown annex of MGH? A bunch of my lab members are going to be out of town at the end of the month for a conference and I need lunch buddies :(
-anyone plan on attending the MDadmit gal's coffee talk next Friday? It'd be interesting to pick her brain, as I'm sure she's seen it all.

That's it for now. Winter is coming.

1. Midterms: a barely enthusiastic meh. Let's just say I'm waiting for Round 2.
2. Charlestown is too far!
3. You're not going to the BSCP conference? Why not?
4. Yes, I'll be there. I've heard from the HEPS board that she is rather fun and helpful.
5. Winter IS coming. Supposed to snow tonight.

Lady GaGa and Oprah are at Sanders tonight and I'll be stuck in the lab next door. Never going to forgive myself for missing this one.

1. Midterms: a barely enthusiastic meh. Let's just say I'm waiting for Round 2.
2. Charlestown is too far!
3. You're not going to the BSCP conference? Why not?
4. Yes, I'll be there. I've heard from the HEPS board that she is rather fun and helpful.
5. Winter IS coming. Supposed to snow tonight.

Lady GaGa and Oprah are at Sanders tonight and I'll be stuck in the lab next door. Never going to forgive myself for missing this one.

BSCP - around early December we found out that two key components of my research were garbage - antibody we got from a researcher in Italy decided to stop working practically overnight, and we found out that the cDNA used to make the knockdown virus had crap for concentration, so we had to practically start from the ground floor. There's always next year . . .

In regards to medadmit coffee talk - good to know. Our lab meetings are usually Friday afternoon, but maybe I'll come on down to see what she has to say.

Did anyone besides me learn how to dougie in the recent HEPS e-mail?

This might sound off putting, but where are the "ghetto" areas that I want to avoid living, traveling in?

I just got my acceptance letter for the HCP today and am pretty sure I will be joining you all in the fall. Can't wait to meet all of you! Also, I just wanted to thank all of you guys for the fantastic info posted here about HES. It has been so incredibly helpful so far.

This might sound off putting, but where are the "ghetto" areas that I want to avoid living, traveling in?

From what I've heard, Dorchester and East Boston are to be avoided. For what it's worth, I've yet to be in an area of Boston where I felt unsafe, except maybe Fanuel Hall at 2:30 am.

http://spotcrime.com/ma/boston as you look for apartments, do a crime search in the area over the past year. Keep in mind those numbers will be inflated in busy commercial areas like Boylston/Back Bay.

I just got my acceptance letter for the HCP today and am pretty sure I will be joining you all in the fall. Can't wait to meet all of you! Also, I just wanted to thank all of you guys for the fantastic info posted here about HES. It has been so incredibly helpful so far.

Congrats. See ya in the fall.

I'm in orgo II this spring and am trying to figure out when to take biochem.

Has anyone taken the summer course? Is registration at the Summer School the same as at the Extension School (i.e. you just register online)?

Would you recommend biochem this summer with Alain Viel or in the fall with Robin Lynn Haynes? Is there a difference between "Principles" this summer and "Introduction" in the fall?

Any info is greatly appreciated

I'm in orgo II this spring and am trying to figure out when to take biochem.

Has anyone taken the summer course? Is registration at the Summer School the same as at the Extension School (i.e. you just register online)?

Would you recommend biochem this summer with Alain Viel or in the fall with Robin Lynn Haynes? Is there a difference between "Principles" this summer and "Introduction" in the fall?

Any info is greatly appreciated

FWIW, I plan on taking both Biochemistry and Molecular Biology over the summer. The summer course does not require Organic Chemistry, so it fits in my grand plan much better than the Extension School Course, as I would like to apply with both of these electives completed. I've heard good things about Prof. Viel - challenging, but intellectually stimulating - which is to be expected, IMO, out of upper-level science electives.

Harvard Summer School is open enrollment, but pricier than HES. I'm sure both courses are comparative, and both will hopefully teach you enough about Biochemistry for MS-1.

I hope this helps.

Thanks much. Are you applying this year? I'm planning to apply early summer once ACMAS opens. Grades for "currently enrolled" classes are sent to schools once completed?

Thanks much. Are you applying this year? I'm planning to apply early summer once ACMAS opens. Grades for "currently enrolled" classes are sent to schools once completed?

Nope. June 1st 2013.

Hey guys! I've been following these threads for a little while now and I finally have something to contribute. I've officially been accepted into the HCP for a potential fall start (although now I'm considering a summer start). Will anyone be on the search for a roommate come late summer?

Also, are there any science background students currently here? I was a bio major at a liberal arts school (bad idea) :thumbdown:, so while I have a pretty good understanding of bio, I've managed to side step anything chem and physics related (minus physics 1) for all 4 years. Anyone here do a one year (or planning on doing a one year) where their focus was more on one area?

I was just wondering if anyone had taken the physics sequence in the summer, and if you can comment on whether or not that is a good idea?

Also, I am planning on moving to Boston end of May beginning of June, and would definitely be interested in living with a group of people beginning the extension program! Any ideas on ideal places to live, or anyone looking for roommates? I am mid-twenties, female.

One quick question for those of you who already moved to Boston and are doing the extension program-- did you move with a job in place, or did you find one while there? If you moved without the job first, how difficult was it to secure a research position, etc, and how long did it take you?

Hey guys! I've been following these threads for a little while now and I finally have something to contribute. I've officially been accepted into the HCP for a potential fall start (although now I'm considering a summer start). Will anyone be on the search for a roommate come late summer?
Also, are there any science background students currently here? I was a bio major at a liberal arts school (bad idea) :thumbdown:, so while I have a pretty good understanding of bio, I've managed to side step anything chem and physics related (minus physics 1) for all 4 years. Anyone here do a one year (or planning on doing a one year) where their focus was more on one area?
I think most of the people here do not come from a science background. When you say “bad idea” , what do you mean? Did you get bad grades? If so you might have to retake some of those classes, the more senior members can give you a better idea of what you need to do. I was going to do a one ear plan, but I realized it would be more beneficial for me to do a 2 year plan.
I was just wondering if anyone had taken the physics sequence in the summer, and if you can comment on whether or not that is a good idea?
Also, I am planning on moving to Boston end of May beginning of June, and would definitely be interested in living with a group of people beginning the extension program! Any ideas on ideal places to live, or anyone looking for roommates? I am mid-twenties, female.
No matter what core science class you are going to take in the summer they are all, from my understanding very intense. Why do you want to begin the program with phsics, seems like most peole start with bio or chem. Me and one other student are going to start in the summer and are in the process of looking for a place and more roommates. She has the same time frame as you do, I think, but I wanted to get out there mid may to line up volunteer opportunities. PM me if you’re interested.
One quick question for those of you who already moved to Boston and are doing the extension program-- did you move with a job in place, or did you find one while there? If you moved without the job first, how difficult was it to secure a research position, etc, and how long did it take you?
When you say “job” do you mean paid? Boston is a very competitive area paid position are hard to come buy and unpaid a little easier but still difficult.

Hey,

bad idea simply because a major lib arts school is definitely not the place to get a good core science background. actually at my school, most of the science courses had to be taken at partner schools if you ever got that far in (unfortunately never got that far in) due to all the other requirements needed to graduate.

If you all live in apartments, how do you exercise? When I lived in an apartment, the person below complained even when I walked normally in my own apartment. So those of you who want your daily dose of exercise, how do you do it?

Last edited:
If you all live in apartments, how do you exercise? When I lived in an apartment, the person below complained even when I walked normally in my own apartment. So those of you who want your daily dose of exercise, how do you do it?

Joined a gym down the street and bike somewhere between 40-60 miles a week commuting. If you're a diploma candidate you get access to the Harvard gyms.

Run outside!

It's so EASY!

I train for competitive races and do Crossfit 3 times a week. I even trained in the sub-freezing temps and snow, so there are no excuses for not getting outside! Running is a poor man's sport.

I train for competitive races and do Crossfit 3 times a week. I even trained in the sub-freezing temps and snow, so there are no excuses for not getting outside! Running is a poor man's sport.

When there's snow and the temperatures are below freezing, what kinda clothes do you wear while running? I am seriously afraid I might catch pneumonia in the first three minutes - that's at least how long it takes to warm up and start sweating.

I'll be moving to Boston late in the summer as well and will be looking for a place to stay and some roommates. I was thinking about coming in the summer too, but I don't think I'm going to be able to pull it off with work and my lease is up at the end of July anyway. So I'll probably be ready to move early August. Mid-twenties female but my boyfriend is coming with me too. We currently live together.

I'll be moving to Boston late in the summer as well and will be looking for a place to stay and some roommates. I was thinking about coming in the summer too, but I don't think I'm going to be able to pull it off with work and my lease is up at the end of July anyway. So I'll probably be ready to move early August. Mid-twenties female but my boyfriend is coming with me too. We currently live together.

Mid-twenties male but my girlfriend and I will be moving in together. :)

When there's snow and the temperatures are below freezing, what kinda clothes do you wear while running? I am seriously afraid I might catch pneumonia in the first three minutes - that's at least how long it takes to warm up and start sweating.

Well I have a handy chart I printed out per temperatures (can't find it at present) but for anything below 30 I usually do 2 pairs of underarmour tights, 1 underarmour short sleeve wicking tee, an underarmour long sleeve tight tee, some type of wicking shirt over the top, a windbreaker jacket (necessary in Boston), gloves, and a hat or ear protection. If it is extra cold I wear ankle warmers and bring my handwarmers. Generally I look very patchwork with all my clothes but it is better than freezing!

Honestly there are so many resources for winter running and Boston is a very athletic city. My biggest advice is to wear layers. Lots of layers.

Well I have a handy chart I printed out per temperatures (can't find it at present) but for anything below 30 I usually do 2 pairs of underarmour tights, 1 underarmour short sleeve wicking tee, an underarmour long sleeve tight tee, some type of wicking shirt over the top, a windbreaker jacket (necessary in Boston), gloves, and a hat or ear protection. If it is extra cold I wear ankle warmers and bring my handwarmers. Generally I look very patchwork with all my clothes but it is better than freezing!

Honestly there are so many resources for winter running and Boston is a very athletic city. My biggest advice is to wear layers. Lots of layers.

Interesting! Summer running is fine. I am only concerned about winter running.

With all the layers and all, you'll probably have to do your laundry everyday I suppose. I have never bought a handwarmer but they might be expensive. It may be cheaper to go to a private gym? I wish Harvard allowed Extension pre-med students access to their gym!

Interesting! Summer running is fine. I am only concerned about winter running.

With all the layers and all, you'll probably have to do your laundry everyday I suppose. I have never bought a handwarmer but they might be expensive. It may be cheaper to go to a private gym? I wish Harvard allowed Extension pre-med students access to their gym!

We do have access to the Harvard gym. And handwarmers are softgel caps you break. They are like $5 a pop.

Hi folks!

question about HEPS--is it worth joinning? They seem to have pretty good info on their site/newsletters for post-baccs...just curious

Last edited:
We are looking for 1 or 2 more roommates for summer session. Currently its 1 male and 2 females, we're all in our mid-twenties. PM if you're interested.