Official Harvard Extension 2014 Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey guys,
I'm hoping one of you can school me very quickly on HES. HES's website isn't very descriptive about the HCP and is actually kind of sketchy..

I haven’t taken any of the premed science courses yet.
- 3.7 undergrad GPA (accounting major).
- 1800 SAT score (700 in math).
- 9 months experience as a nursing assistant.
- A few hours of shadowing experience (no research exposure)
Do I even stand a chance of getting in?

1.) Is there a difference between taking all the premed courses through HES rather than the HCP besides the committee letter?

2.) Is there actually a structure to HCP or is it mostly autonomous? There is a “typical path through the program” detail but besides that there is no talk about the actual program.
· Are you provided a premed counselor?

3.) There’s no requirement for LORs but I think it’s a trick and they actually want LORs. Did you send them in anyways?

4.) There’s that new MCAT coming out and some med schools have changed their admission requirements, have you been able to incorporate those changes into your curriculum? (I think Harvard Med has a new foreign language requirement)

Thanks a bunch to whoever can help me out or even reads my questions. Also I have lurked through the other yearly threads and there’s info here and there but nothing definitive (that troll guy is a dick).

I had similar stats to you when I started HCP (same gpa, accounting major, few hours shadowing, but I had been working in finance). Based on what you've shared, you will be accepted if you apply. They may add some conditions that you need to meet in order to ultimately receive an HCP committee letter. They may say that you need to obtain a certain GPA at HES or score at least a certain amount on your MCAT. I think it varies depending on your situation coming in, but from what I heard from other people, the requirements were reasonable, and everyone I talked to had some sort of requirement (at the very least they will say in your acceptance letter something to the effect of "once you have completed your courses and taken the MCAT we will evaluate your performance and will consider you for sponsorship".

1.) No difference that I'm aware of but Dr. Fixsen might indicate otherwise when you contact him. You might be able to obtain a committee letter from your undergrad pre-med advisor, even if you never took science classes there. When my undergrad pre-med advisor found out I was applying she offered to put one together even though I graduated years ago and never met her, but I had already started the process with HCP. This is something to think about if you're not sure you want to go the HCP route.

2.) HCP is pretty autonomous. The classes are large and you are mostly on your own for setting up your schedule and registering. Dr. Fixsen and Owen Peterson serve as advisors to everyone in HCP, and they do keep an eye on your schedule. For instance, one of them reached out to me one semester when they saw that I wasn't registered for a class that they expected me to take. However, this is not a place that will hold your hand through the whole process. You will be expected to move yourself along in your steps toward applying (e.g. arranging letters of rec, transcripts, personal statement, etc.), but you can reach out to them with questions.

3.) Can't remember if I sent a LOR. I really doubt that I did. They are not trying to trick you. You may be thinking it's difficult to get accepted to HCP, but with your GPA and background, believe me, you will be fine. [Somewhere on SDN we should create a list of reasons why someone would be rejected by HCP. It would be a relatively short list. Unless things have changed from 3 years ago.]

4.) Can't comment on this.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi,

I am new to SDN and have a question about the HCP. The classes seem like they are really big - how do you all get quality letters of rec from the professors? It seems like a pretty independent program.

Thanks!
I wasn't able to read my two letters of rec from the HES professors, so I don't know how 'quality' they were. However, I've had a successful application year, and so they must have been decent. Both of the professors probably wouldn't have recognized me on the street if they saw me. That's nothing against them. As you mentioned, they have tons of students. Here are some options:

1. Go to your section and participate. Your professor will most likely ask your TF to submit comments at the end of the semester or year. Both of mine relied heavily on comments from my TFs (and also lab TFs, don't forget them).
2. Go to office hours - but make productive use of the professor's or the TF's time. (I did not do this, therefore I don't consider it necessary)
3. Speak to the professor after lecture - again, make sure it's productive. DO NOT just suck up to them with "ohh that was so interesting when you talked about x it reminded me of y and I was reading about z in our text book and yada yada yada" ughhh (I also did not do this, therefore I don't consider it necessary)
4. DO NOT be that guy that asks a question every 10 minutes in lecture
5. Know why you want to go to medical school (or dental school, vet school, etc.) and be able to explain it well. The professor will probably ask you for some sort of a personal statement, or may ask to meet with you in person (one of mine did and we talked for ~45 minutes). As long as you have your story figured out, they will be able to connect with that and write a more compelling letter.
6. Do well in class (Actually this is the most important and should be point #1 but I am le tired.)

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm also applying for the HES for fall. I don't know if my stats will get me accepted.

GPA 3.31
SGPA (I took two intro in topics classes) got A in both classes
ACT: 18 (I don't remember my sat scores)

What are my chances?

Recently applied to the Health Careers Program. Anyone know how long it usually takes to hear back?

Yes, it takes approximately 2 weeks and usually (at most) 3 weeks (Quoted from Dr. Fixsen himself). I sent my application off (11th) and then 4 days later (15th) I received an email from Dr. Fixsen letting me know that my application had been received. Within 2 days (letter was written on the 17th... but I received my acceptance letter on the 19th !!! :) It took less than a week for me and I live out-of-state.

Please let us know how it turns out!!! Good luck!

I have a couple of questions that hopefully someone has had experience.

1. Is any type of Financial Aid available for those attending this health careers program?
(I already know that it is "affordable" but not to someone who is about to relocate without transferrable work).
Are loans available? (Not including private loans).

AS MUCH INFORMATION AS YOU CAN GIVE ME ABOUT HOW TO PAY FOR/ FINANCING THE HEALTH CAREERS PROGRAM IS EXTREMELY APPRECIATIVE! (Including relocating and having to find work and the sort).

2. What exactly is the sponsorship? I am not exactly sure what this means? Does this just mean that they will write a letter of recommendation on your behalf?

3. Relocating from a different state in order to attend this program... is it feasible to do so?
Especially when the cost-of-living is high in Boston, MA.
Safe areas?

4. When you are in this program are you considered an Undergraduate still?

5. I have read a couple of the posts and have been told that it is NOT competitive to get INTO the program at all... so why aren't more people just attending this school to say that they have a "Harvard" degree?

ANY and ALL answers would be appreciative.

I have a couple of questions that hopefully someone has had experience.

1. Is any type of Financial Aid available for those attending this health careers program?
(I already know that it is "affordable" but not to someone who is about to relocate without transferrable work).
Are loans available? (Not including private loans).

AS MUCH INFORMATION AS YOU CAN GIVE ME ABOUT HOW TO PAY FOR/ FINANCING THE HEALTH CAREERS PROGRAM IS EXTREMELY APPRECIATIVE! (Including relocating and having to find work and the sort).

2. What exactly is the sponsorship? I am not exactly sure what this means? Does this just mean that they will write a letter of recommendation on your behalf?

3. Relocating from a different state in order to attend this program... is it feasible to do so?
Especially when the cost-of-living is high in Boston, MA.
Safe areas?

4. When you are in this program are you considered an Undergraduate still?

5. I have read a couple of the posts and have been told that it is NOT competitive to get INTO the program at all... so why aren't more people just attending this school to say that they have a "Harvard" degree?

ANY and ALL answers would be appreciative.

1) Assuming you haven't maxed out your lifetime federal loans, then you can qualify for financial aid if you're accepted into the program. You'll only get 12 consecutive months of financial aid, though. The amount you get is the same as an independent undergrad senior.

2) Sponsorship is basically and official endorsement by the health careers office of your fitness for medical schoo (or other health professions school). It is contingent on completing a certain number of credits and achieving a minimum MCAT score as specified in your acceptance letter depending on what sort of numbers you bring to the table when you start. Sponsorship is a bit competitive as they only sponsor around 50 people per year, but if you have everything in order and did well in the program and on your MCAT, then you'll likely get it provided you turn everything in in a timely manner.

3) A lot of people relocate here. A lot people from CA relocate here. IMO, I don't think it's worth it if you have a good post-bacc program closer to home, but if you just can't stand the thought of not doing your post-bacc at Harvard, then go for it. Just be mindful that living here is expensive, though there are places around Boston that are still a bit affordable and not crappy (Watertown, Medford). Other places you'll need a few roommates.

4) Yes

5) It's easy to get in, tough to get through. A lot of people drop out through attrition. Pretty much everyone gets through Gen Chem. Some people drop out with physics, but most make it. OChem is where the **** hits the fan for a lot of people. Don't be surprised if lectures appear a bit lighter in attendance the last third of the semester in OChem I or II. There's not much hand-holding in the program. You have to find it within yourself to develop the grit to succeed in the program.

Reactions: 1 users
How does this post-bac plan sound?

Summer 2014: Gen Chem 1+2 at HSS

Fall 2014: Bio1, Physics1
Spring 2015: Bio2, Physics2, Statistics(?)
Summer 2015: Biochem at HSS(?)

Fall 2015: Orgo1, Calc(?)
Spring 2016: Orgo2, Sociology(?), MCAT prep -> take MCAT
Summer 2016: apply

Knocking out GenChem early leaves a slot open during my 2nd year so I can devote more time to MCAT study. I'll probably take stats/calc/socio at a local community college that I can commute to more easily, but it seems like it would be valuable to take biochem at Harvard. Bio is a prereq for Biochem, so I need to take that first year. So basically my options are Bio+Physics, or Bio+Orgo. I anticipate physics will be the easier class for me based on the fact that I loved and did well in AP physics in high school.

How does this post-bac plan sound?

Summer 2014: Gen Chem 1+2 at HSS

Fall 2014: Bio1, Physics1
Spring 2015: Bio2, Physics2, Statistics(?)
Summer 2015: Biochem at HSS(?)

Fall 2015: Orgo1, Calc(?)
Spring 2016: Orgo2, Sociology(?), MCAT prep -> take MCAT
Summer 2016: apply

Knocking out GenChem early leaves a slot open during my 2nd year so I can devote more time to MCAT study. I'll probably take stats/calc/socio at a local community college that I can commute to more easily, but it seems like it would be valuable to take biochem at Harvard. Bio is a prereq for Biochem, so I need to take that first year. So basically my options are Bio+Physics, or Bio+Orgo. I anticipate physics will be the easier class for me based on the fact that I loved and did well in AP physics in high school.

Sounds reasonable. Not too different from what I did minus the sociology, and instead of biochem in the summer, I did physics. I recommend biochem in the summer over physics.

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you! Your post was super insightful!

1. As an undergraduate, I went to an IVY League school. I had all four years of Undergraduate paid for so I graduated debt-free with 0 loans.
Why only 12 consecutive months of financial aid? Does it not start over with a new FAFSA every year?

2. Yeah I saw the statistic was about 30% relocate. In my state, there are 0, absolutely 0 post-bac programs here, so relocation is my ONLY option.
I applied to 5 post-bac programs and got accepted to all 5 of them, so I am just weighing my options.
The closest post-bac to me is 8 hours away in North Carolina (UNC-Greensboro) which I have been accepted to.
UNC-Greensboro considers a student in my situation as a second-degree seeking student, which I think I would be able to live on campus then if that's the case, but typically I know IVY League schools/ close to Ivy League schools are better with Financial Aid (as I said, I graduated Undergrad with a degree from an IVY League school) like Harvard in comparison to UNC-Greensboro who only meets about 60% of Financial Aid need compared to HARVARD or the Ivy League school I graduated from that meets 100% of Financial Aid need.
I can do without going to Harvard, but I just need to know what my BEST option would be.
I have already started looking into roommates too.

3. I am not too worried about it being "easy" as I said, I went to Ivy League. I know how difficult it is at any Ivy League University, so I know I will do fine. I double-majored in undergraduate as well as did three years of research from my undergraduate sophomore- senior year. I currently am doing clinical research in neurology as well until I leave. But thank you for that advice!

This is a rule set by the Extension School financial aid office. I'm not sure why they do it this way since the program is planned out over two years. It's the main reason I pushed myself to do the pre-reqs in two summers and two semesters.

I wouldn't rule out summer orgo so quickly. You definitely can't work part-time while taking it, but it is doable. I hadn't taken a math/science course for over a decade, did Chem/Physics during the year, then took summer orgo and I managed just fine. See how your year of Bio/Physics goes and gauge from there.

Summer orgo is insanity while you're doing it, but once it's over and you watch everyone else suffering for the entire year, you'll be happy to have gotten it over with.

What grade did you make taking summer orgo?
What did you do in order to study/ condense that amount of material in so little time!?

Members don't see this ad :)
hello,
I have been waitlisted today to this program, and I was wondering when the waitlist begins to start moving! Also I have read that some people know where they are on the waitlist and I was wondering how they found out this information. I have a 3.0x gpa and a 31 mcat with outstanding extra curriculars, letter of recs, and personal statement. What type of items should be sent as update info, would it only be unofficial transcripts and mcat scores if retaken. Is it possible to write another letter to defend your position on the waitlist!

Thanks for all your help!

Hi everyone,

I've read through the posts in the 2013 thread and found this network to be extremely helpful. I'd love to get your feedback on my chances of getting into the HCP. I'm a "career-changer" hopeful with the following stats:

Undergrad cGPA at an Ivy school: 3.6
sGPA: Haven't calculated this yet, as I need to double check which science/tech classes will actually count as a science
ACT: 33 (never took the SAT)
Clinical/research/hospital volunteering experience: Pretty much none... I've become interested in medicine through my travels abroad, as I saw the need for medical help in so many parts of the world. I have also personally gone through a lot of medical treatment in the past few years and am currently giving care to a family member with cancer. I haven't had the time to volunteer, but I'm finding everything from the pharmaceuticals to the vital stats taken at check ups intriguing and would love to pursue a career in medicine.

Thanks in advance!

Hi, I'm in a pretty unique situation and was wondering if someone could shed some light.

I intend to apply to HCP in the future, but I'm a US citizen at a foreign (British) school studying a non-science subject, where they don't assign GPA but only confer degrees with honors classes. AFAIK, for law a first-class degree would be equivalent to a 4.0, and an upper second = 3.7. I was curious as to whether HCP would make the same distinctions, or whether I'm eligible at all to apply. I have clinical shadowing experience, as well as nonmedical work experience. My high school SAT was 2250 and my ACT was 36. I haven't taken any science classes since 3 APs in high school.

Thanks!

[edit] For those seeing this message in the future, I decided NOT to go to a school in the U.K. - if someone is in a similar position as I was at this time, please feel free to message me and I'd be happy to talk about it!

Last edited:
Hi, I'm in a pretty unique situation and was wondering if someone could shed some light.

I intend to apply to HCP in the future, but I'm a US citizen at a foreign (British) school studying a non-science subject, where they don't assign GPA but only confer degrees with honors classes. AFAIK, for law a first-class degree would be equivalent to a 4.0, and an upper second = 3.7. I was curious as to whether HCP would make the same distinctions, or whether I'm eligible at all to apply. I have clinical shadowing experience, as well as nonmedical work experience. My high school SAT was 2250 and my ACT was 36. I haven't taken any science classes since 3 APs in high school.

Thanks!
For this scenario I think your best bet would be to call the HCP office and talk to Dr. Fixsen or Owen. They are pretty accessible on the phone.

Posted using SDN Mobile

Has anyone taken statistics? What's it like, in terms of difficulty and time commitment?

Has anyone taken statistics? What's it like, in terms of difficulty and time commitment?

It's easy. It's pretty basic stuff, and doesn't go far beyond what you would've gotten in an equivalent HS course.

For the HCP application, when it asks about science and math courses taken on a college level, should that include AP courses taken in high school?

It's easy. It's pretty basic stuff, and doesn't go far beyond what you would've gotten in an equivalent HS course.
Thanks! Good to know. Do you know roughly how many hrs/week you spent on it?

Also, do you think taking biochem + stats at the same time (while working 40 hrs/week) would be an okay workload? (I just took bio and chem at the same time, which was doable, but it wasn't fun.)

For the HCP application, when it asks about science and math courses taken on a college level, should that include AP courses taken in high school?
I would email Dr. Fixsen to ask. I think you may as well include AP classes in your application, though, especially if you did well. Also, some AP credits are accepted by many med schools, so they're worth including.

I have a chemistry textbook (for gen chem 1 and 2) I am willing to give away to the first person to PM me. No shipping--you must be able to meet me on Harvard's campus to pick it up. It is an older edition but that's not a problem for the class.

Last edited:
Thanks! Good to know. Do you know roughly how many hrs/week you spent on it?

Also, do you think taking biochem + stats at the same time (while working 40 hrs/week) would be an okay workload? (I just took bio and chem at the same time, which was doable, but it wasn't fun.)

Maybe 3 hours per week. Biochem+stats is easier than Bio+gen chem.

I suppose this is a question I should call and ask, but is the timing of classes typically the same year-to-year? I need to plan out my fall work schedule now, and I can basically choose whatever hours I want but I need to figure out when classes/labs will be. I'm planning to take Bio/Physics in the fall. Looking at last year's syllabi, it looks like Bio is M/W evenings, and Physics is on Tuesday with labs and discussion sections scheduled whenever there is student demand?

If this is the case, maybe I can plan to work 12-hour shifts on Thurs/Fri/Sat, leaving Sunday as a day off to study and get homework done, and try to get labs/discussions scheduled sometime earlier in the day on M/T/W?

I suppose this is a question I should call and ask, but is the timing of classes typically the same year-to-year? I need to plan out my fall work schedule now, and I can basically choose whatever hours I want but I need to figure out when classes/labs will be. I'm planning to take Bio/Physics in the fall. Looking at last year's syllabi, it looks like Bio is M/W evenings, and Physics is on Tuesday with labs and discussion sections scheduled whenever there is student demand?

If this is the case, maybe I can plan to work 12-hour shifts on Thurs/Fri/Sat, leaving Sunday as a day off to study and get homework done, and try to get labs/discussions scheduled sometime earlier in the day on M/T/W?
Yeah, each class is scheduled for a time slot that has remained constant over the years. Tuesday is Physics lecture night, Thursday - Gen Chem/Orgo, and Monday/Wednesday - Bio. Discussion and lab schedules vary for Physics and will be determined during the first weeks of class, but Bio lab is held during lecture time on either Monday or Wednesday (your choice) - there is no lecture during lab weeks.

Reactions: 1 user
If you don't mind sharing, what was your major/GPA? I'm also currently applying to this program and I have a B.S. in Biochemistry and have taken all my pre-reqs. I'm applying to med school this year, but am hoping to take a few higher level science courses to raise my GPA. (cGPA: 3.42, sGPA: 3.23) I also have a 30 on the MCAT...which I'm retaking.

I'm also applying to a few other SMPS, but since I'm applying pretty late in the cycle, the chances of me getting in are slim - so I was hoping that there would be some other way to bolster my academic credentials.

If you can share a little more about why you were rejected, or what schools Dr. Fixsen recommended for you to apply to, then that would be great. Thanks!

If you've taken the pre-reqs already and have a degree in biochem, it might diminish your chances of being accepted into the program. The program was designed primarily with those who've taken few/none of the pre-reqs in mind. You can still take classes a la carte to boost your GPA, but won't get the committee letter associated with being accepted into the program. If you've taken the pre-reqs already as well as multiple upper-level biochem courses, I don't think you'll gain much from a post-bacc unless you plan on doing grade replacement for DO. An SMP may be beneficial, but it's a last resort. If you're not getting a 3.5+ in an SMP, then you're ****ed. It's a risky move. You still have options (you're competitive for DO, for one).

Also, why are you retaking a 30? Your MCAT isn't really the weakness in your application, it's your GPA. Even if we assume you get a much higher score (let's say a 35), it won't help you quite as much as you think it will. They'll still see your GPA. You should be focused on that unless your MCAT score is about to expire.

Hello all,

I was just recently accepted to the HCP and spoke briefly with Owen regarding the program. He mentioned the courses are usually as follows:

Year 1: General Chemistry and Principles of Physics
Year 2: Organic Chemistry and Intro to Biology

He also mentioned that some schools may require calculus. Does anyway have any recommendations as to which year I should take calculus?

He also mentioned that because of the new MCATs it may be useful to take a sociology or psychology course. Does anyone have any recommendations for courses in this regard?

Thanks!

Hello all,

I was just recently accepted to the HCP and spoke briefly with Owen regarding the program. He mentioned the courses are usually as follows:

Year 1: General Chemistry and Principles of Physics
Year 2: Organic Chemistry and Intro to Biology

He also mentioned that some schools may require calculus. Does anyway have any recommendations as to which year I should take calculus?

He also mentioned that because of the new MCATs it may be useful to take a sociology or psychology course. Does anyone have any recommendations for courses in this regard?

Thanks!

Ideally, you would take calc the semester before physics. You don't need calc to succeed but it can help you understand the concepts better. Otherwise, take it whenever or concurrently.
Intro psych at the Extension school is a good course. Take it whenever. It's not hard. I never took sociology.

THe order I took my courses in was a bit different, but the above is the recommended curriculum.

I have the complete set of textbooks for Gen Chem, Orgo, and Bio that I'm looking to sell at a discount. I just finished up the Health Careers Program and don't really need them anymore. If anyone is interested, send me a PM. In person pick up is preferred.

Edit: Sold!

Last edited:
Has anyone else noticed that Logan McCarthy will be teaching Physics this year instead of Wolfgang Rueckner? Does anyone know anything about McCarthy?

Has anyone else noticed that Logan McCarthy will be teaching Physics this year instead of Wolfgang Rueckner? Does anyone know anything about McCarthy?

He's the man. Wolf was amazing (despite what some people may say), but Logan is one in a million.

I've taken physics with Rueckner and ochem with McCarty - they are both great professors. Challenging, but very good professors that care about the course and the success of students.

Ideally, you would take calc the semester before physics. You don't need calc to succeed but it can help you understand the concepts better. Otherwise, take it whenever or concurrently.
Intro psych at the Extension school is a good course. Take it whenever. It's not hard. I never took sociology.

THe order I took my courses in was a bit different, but the above is the recommended curriculum.
Great thanks!

He also mentioned that I should take Biochemistry, when would you recommend taking this course? And is it usually a semester or a year?

Great thanks!

He also mentioned that I should take Biochemistry, when would you recommend taking this course? And is it usually a semester or a year?

You can take it after you've taken gen chem and intro bio. If you wait until after orgo, it'll be the easiest semester at the Extension school. I remember people who didn't take orgo had a little bit of added difficulty with the course, but this shouldn't keep you from doing well or taking it if want to take it earlier.

Biochemistry is a semester course taught by a professor I really liked. I recommend taking the course after you've taken gen chem, intro bio and organic chemistry. Some people have taken it concurrently with organic chemistry but I'm glad I waited until after because it enabled me to see things from a different perspective had I not taken organic before-hand.

Anybody taking Gen Chem this summer at HSS? Tucci seems awesome, and it seems like the class is going to move along pretty fast!

Biochemistry is a semester course taught by a professor I really liked. I recommend taking the course after you've taken gen chem, intro bio and organic chemistry. Some people have taken it concurrently with organic chemistry but I'm glad I waited until after because it enabled me to see things from a different perspective had I not taken organic before-hand.

Great! Thanks for your help!

Hello all,

At what point do you take the MCAT if you are doing the two year track?

Hi Everyone! Really excited about classes this fall!

Does anyone have experience with the Stem Cell/Neurobiology/Epigenetics classes? They look really cool!

Hello all,

At what point do you take the MCAT if you are doing the two year track?

Most people I know took it in April/May. A couple took in the summer, but they also were planning to apply for the following cycle.

Most people I know took it in April/May. A couple took in the summer, but they also were planning to apply for the following cycle.
Did they take it in April/May and then go to Med School that same fall? Or the following year?

Did they take it in April/May and then go to Med School that same fall? Or the following year?

They take it in April/May and apply that year (AMCAS/AACOMAS open up sometime in May), unless they get an unsatisfactory score (<30 for MD, <27/26ish for DO). The application process takes a year, so they'd actually be matriculating the following year.

You won't be able to take it in April/May and then matriculate the same year (unless you go to one of those post-baccs that have automatic placement maybe? But Harvard Extension isn't one of them). Most people take the MCAT in 201X, apply in 201X, and then matriculate in 201X+1.

Posted using SDN Mobile

Hello!
I just wanted to get some input as to which program to go to... Currently, I am trying to decide between WashU and Harvard Post-Bacc Programs.
Some quick stats:
I graduated University of Chicago with a 3.37 cGPA and around a 3.2 sGPA (I want to cry.) I got a B- in Genetics, C in Physiology, a B- in one of my GenChem quarters, and C+ in a quarter of Organic Chemistry. I was not a Biology major, and tried doing another major with the Pre-Med Track.
This means that I do need to take upper level biology courses and excel in them so that I can prove my mastery of the subjects. Dr. Fixsen informed me that I would need to a total of 28 credits in the medical sciences... I was wondering if this can be accomplished in a year, while I also work/volunteer?

Thank you!

(May the MedicalLords have mercy on my future)

Anyone know if all the spots for the HCP starting in Fall 2014 is already taken up? I sent in an application very late in June. They said I can apply all the way to June 30th from the website. Please let me know if you have any information. Thanks!

Hello!
I just wanted to get some input as to which program to go to... Currently, I am trying to decide between WashU and Harvard Post-Bacc Programs.
Some quick stats:
I graduated University of Chicago with a 3.37 cGPA and around a 3.2 sGPA (I want to cry.) I got a B- in Genetics, C in Physiology, a B- in one of my GenChem quarters, and C+ in a quarter of Organic Chemistry. I was not a Biology major, and tried doing another major with the Pre-Med Track.
This means that I do need to take upper level biology courses and excel in them so that I can prove my mastery of the subjects. Dr. Fixsen informed me that I would need to a total of 28 credits in the medical sciences... I was wondering if this can be accomplished in a year, while I also work/volunteer?

Thank you!

(May the MedicalLords have mercy on my future)

Did he say why you need 28? Is that to get sponsorship? Because you might be able to get that from UChicago and not have to worry about meeting a minimum number of credits at HES. Are you taking any summer school? How many hours per week were you planning on working & volunteering?

Posted using SDN Mobile

Anyone know if all the spots for the HCP starting in Fall 2014 is already taken up? I sent in an application very late in June. They said I can apply all the way to June 30th from the website. Please let me know if you have any information. Thanks!

I applied mid-May and received a letter stating they weren't accepting any more applications for this year. Hope you weren't planning on doing it in 1 year.

I'm selling Giambattista's Physics, 2nd Edition and Student solutions Manual for $40. They are both in good condition with minimal marking/highlighting (bought it from a former HES student last year). Available only for pick-up in the Somerville/Cambridge area. I don'tt know if Logan will use this textbook or switch to another so check with him before purchasing it.

Has anyone taken Neurobiology at HES? I want to take this and Biochemistry this fall but am unsure if the course is too time intensive. I plan on working full-time and volunteer. If you haven't taken the course, do you have any experience with the new professor, Laura Magnotti? She's served as Head TA for Biochem.

Thanks!