Official Harvard Extension 2015 Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
that is actually quite assuring that the averages is a B. Im pretty sure my college now the average is a C. They set the Dean's List GPA at 3.0 and youd be surprised at how many people doesnt have a 3.0, but then again its a completely different environment since it is a Military College. Are you currently in the Pre-Med program? if so, how long is it going to take you to complete it? I should have taken all the Physic requirements since I am a Civil Engineering major and also have taken Bio and Chem 101, don't know if they will take it though.

I'm currently applying for the premed program, not in it yet. I've taken Physics 1 & 2, Chem 1&2, Biochem, Orgo 1 and have received pretty good grades in all of them at HES. I will warn that there are some classes with a bi-modal distribution of grades rather than a normal distribution, but I believe that speaks more to the students themselves than course difficulty.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm currently applying for the premed program, not in it yet. I've taken Physics 1 & 2, Chem 1&2, Biochem, Orgo 1 and have received pretty good grades in all of them at HES. I will warn that there are some classes with a bi-modal distribution of grades rather than a normal distribution, but I believe that speaks more to the students themselves than course difficulty.
ok so you can just take courses there but not be in the program itself?

Also, do you guys find classes at HES harder then classes at your undergrad?

Members don't see this ad :)
They say on the site that it is "unlikely" to be accepted with a sub 3.0 GPA. My AAMC stats: MCAT 504/ cGPA 2.82/ sGPA 3.05. Most recent 28 units: GPA 3.5 in Chem I & II (B/A), Ochem I & II (B/B), and Bio I & II (A/A). I have strong LORs, shadowing experience, volunteer work, and healthcare related work (behaivoral therapist for autistic children). I actually didn't fill out at AAMC application this cycle because I was only competitive for DO schools due to grade replacement policy (AACOM stats: cGPA 3.06/ sGPA 3.44). I did get 3 interviews and 1 waitlist (I'm also still waiting to hear back from TouroCOM-NY). Do you guys think I have a shot at being accepted here? Has anyone on here been accepted with similar GPA? I would love to get in this program because I am originally from MA, and I would love the opportunity to show I can handle a rigorous program so that I could be able to apply next year to both MD and DO.

They say on the site that it is "unlikely" to be accepted with a sub 3.0 GPA. My AAMC stats: MCAT 504/ cGPA 2.82/ sGPA 3.05. Most recent 28 units: GPA 3.5 in Chem I & II (B/A), Ochem I & II (B/B), and Bio I & II (A/A). I have strong LORs, shadowing experience, volunteer work, and healthcare related work (behaivoral therapist for autistic children). I actually didn't fill out at AAMC application this cycle because I was only competitive for DO schools due to grade replacement policy (AACOM stats: cGPA 3.06/ sGPA 3.44). I did get 3 interviews and 1 waitlist (I'm also still waiting to hear back from TouroCOM-NY). Do you guys think I have a shot at being accepted here? Has anyone on here been accepted with similar GPA? I would love to get in this program because I am originally from MA, and I would love the opportunity to show I can handle a rigorous program so that I could be able to apply next year to both MD and DO.

Don't take my word as gold by any means, but I believe this program is intended for those who have not taken a bulk of the premedical coursework. I believe you would likely be rejected based on the fact that you have already completed all of the pre med courses

Don't take my word as gold by any means, but I believe this program is intended for those who have not taken a bulk of the premedical coursework. I believe you would likely be rejected based on the fact that you have already completed all of the pre med courses
I just talked to them. That is not the case...

Maybe this is a special circumstance, maybe they would like your app fee, maybe it has changed recently. However, if you read through the multiple threads on the program it's outlined several times, and several students were told that from Dr. Fixsen himself.

Maybe @Gurby would be able to clear it up some?

I just talked to them. That is not the case...

I'm not really sure. I think it's really catered towards people who don't have their sciences done... But that said, they also do care about the rest of the app, I know someone who was rejected because he didn't have enough of the other aspects of his application covered.

Given that you have an otherwise pretty strong application and have shown that you're open to going DO (and even had some application success), maybe it would be worth a shot.

At the same time, it's worth noting that with a GPA under 3.0 you'd need to complete 32 credits in order to get the committee letter.

I'm not really sure. I think it's really catered towards people who don't have their sciences done... But that said, they also do care about the rest of the app, I know someone who was rejected because he didn't have enough of the other aspects of his application covered.

Given that you have an otherwise pretty strong application and have shown that you're open to going DO (and even had some application success), maybe it would be worth a shot.

At the same time, it's worth noting that with a GPA under 3.0 you'd need to complete 32 credits in order to get the committee letter.

I noticed that actually. 16 units/~4 classes a semester, so that's pretty manageable. There are loans for this program correct?

If I am currently a Civil Engineer senior with a 3.309, you think i'll have a chance of getting accepted? I wont be able to apply until May since that is when I graduate

I noticed that actually. 16 units/~4 classes a semester, so that's pretty manageable. There are loans for this program correct?

In my experience, in general, the non-prereq courses are not nearly as difficult as the prereqs are. So this seems rough but doable. I'm not sure about loans.

If I am currently a Civil Engineer senior with a 3.309, you think i'll have a chance of getting accepted? I wont be able to apply until May since that is when I graduate

You can't apply right now? By May the program will likely be full.

In my experience, in general, the non-prereq courses are not nearly as difficult as the prereqs are. So this seems rough but doable. I'm not sure about loans.

Should I send the application without the transcripts (I have 5 colleges attended)? I have everything done but the transcripts part, but I'd rather send it in sooner unless they wait to receive your transcripts to review the app. If that's the case, I'd rather hold off for a couple weeks until they all arrive, and then just submit one envelope containing all the transcripts along with the app and $100.

nope, they said I wont be able to apply until I finish my degree and have a completed transcript

Members don't see this ad :)
Should I send the application without the transcripts (I have 5 colleges attended)? I have everything done but the transcripts part, but I'd rather send it in sooner unless they wait to receive your transcripts to review the app. If that's the case, I'd rather hold off for a couple weeks until they all arrive, and then just submit one envelope containing all the transcripts along with the app and $100.
Mr Fixsen told me you need to include your transcrpit(s)

I don't know. You'd have to ask Fixsen.

Just FWIW, Fixsen has a PhD and signs his emails "Dr. William Fixsen".

From their website: "These transcripts must be sent directly from those institutions’ registrars to the Premedical Program office or may be included with the application if they are in their original sealed envelopes." Seems like they give you a choice. I think I'm leaning towards just having them sent to me first and sending them with the application anyway.

Hi - I am an undergraduate senior expecting my degree (in classical studies) in June 2016 and was looking to apply to the HES premed program. I have taken all of my premed requirements and just need to enhance my science GPA (which stands at a 3.04). My overall GPA is a 3.37 and initially my plan to was to work for a year, attend a regular masters degree for science GPA boost, and then apply to medical school. HES premed program looks promising, however, because of its cheaper tuition ($10,000 for the year as opposed to $25,000 for masters program) and because I could apply for this coming year instead of having to wait [since I have not yet taken my MCAT but will take it in September 2016]. Although people on this thread have said the HES is for students who have not yet taken the medical school prereq courses, the HES premed website says that it accepts students who are looking to boos the GPA having already taken all the required courses. Any thoughts on a good path?

Hi - I am an undergraduate senior expecting my degree (in classical studies) in June 2016 and was looking to apply to the HES premed program. I have taken all of my premed requirements and just need to enhance my science GPA (which stands at a 3.04). My overall GPA is a 3.37 and initially my plan to was to work for a year, attend a regular masters degree for science GPA boost, and then apply to medical school. HES premed program looks promising, however, because of its cheaper tuition ($10,000 for the year as opposed to $25,000 for masters program) and because I could apply for this coming year instead of having to wait [since I have not yet taken my MCAT but will take it in September 2016]. Although people on this thread have said the HES is for students who have not yet taken the medical school prereq courses, the HES premed website says that it accepts students who are looking to boos the GPA having already taken all the required courses. Any thoughts on a good path?

You should email Dr. Fixsen regarding your situation. We can tell you what you may like to hear, but ultimately it's his decision/(HCP programs) whether you're a good applicant for the program or not. He gives it to you straight. You should hear back very quickly as he's reasonably responsive to emails.

I graduate May 16th. Hopefully there will be enough slots open and my stats are good enough. Fingers crossed!

I second that. Just sent all my transcripts. Fingers crossed.
do you mind telling me like your GPA and your volunteer hours? I wanna see how I compare and keep me updated on if you get it! best of luck

do you mind telling me like your GPA and your volunteer hours? I wanna see how I compare and keep me updated on if you get it! best of luck
c3.05/s3.44/504 (going to retake)
192 hours volunteering at dialysis centers and shadowing MDs

Hi All, I'm new to this thread and I look forward to interacting with all of you. I've just been accepted to the program. I will have more questions than answers early on but I will be sure to answer questions as I become qualified to do so.

Question: Can someone comment on the benefits and detriments of starting with Gen Chem during the summer? It seems the two extra slots that open during fall and spring are ideal for taking biochem or other higher level courses or even studying for the MCAT. I just don't know if it is worth quitting my job in June instead of late August to get the head start and losing thousands of dollars in the process.

Thank you in advance!

Hi All, I'm new to this thread and I look forward to interacting with all of you. I've just been accepted to the program. I will have more questions than answers early on but I will be sure to answer questions as I become qualified to do so.

Question: Can someone comment on the benefits and detriments of starting with Gen Chem during the summer? It seems the two extra slots that open during fall and spring are ideal for taking biochem or other higher level courses or even studying for the MCAT. I just don't know if it is worth quitting my job in June instead of late August to get the head start and losing thousands of dollars in the process.

Thank you in advance!

Starting over the summer will be a bit hit financially. Summer classes are a lot more expensive because they're through the main college and not the extension school. Taking summer Gen Chem will set you back >$6000, and then factoring in lost salary from those months... Ouch.

I'm glad I did it though. I think I've posted this here before, but I think the ideal post-bac schedule here is: Summer1 gen chem -> Fall1/Spring1 bio + physics -> Summer2 biochem -> Fall2 orgo 1 (add in calc and stats if you need them) -> Spring2 random elective + MCAT -> Apply. Doing it this way separates Bio and Orgo which are probably the toughest and most time consuming courses, and gives you a super easy final semester to allow you to focus on MCAT study, writing your PS, collecting LoR's, etc.

It's also just a really cool vibe taking summer chemistry. My fondest moments from the program are definitely from the first summer - it felt like being in undergrad again. A lot of people are living on or near campus, and everyone hangs around campus all the time because you're always going to class, labs, sections, review sessions, office hours, study groups, etc. During Fall/Spring semesters most people work all day, come to class at night, go home after. There isn't as much camaraderie.

Starting over the summer will be a bit hit financially. Summer classes are a lot more expensive because they're through the main college and not the extension school. Taking summer Gen Chem will set you back >$6000, and then factoring in lost salary from those months... Ouch.

I'm glad I did it though. I think I've posted this here before, but I think the ideal post-bac schedule here is: Summer1 gen chem -> Fall1/Spring1 bio + physics -> Summer2 biochem -> Fall2 orgo 1 (add in calc and stats if you need them) -> Spring2 random elective + MCAT -> Apply. Doing it this way separates Bio and Orgo which are probably the toughest and most time consuming courses, and gives you a super easy final semester to allow you to focus on MCAT study, writing your PS, collecting LoR's, etc.

It's also just a really cool vibe taking summer chemistry. My fondest moments from the program are definitely from the first summer - it felt like being in undergrad again. A lot of people are living on or near campus, and everyone hangs around campus all the time because you're always going to class, labs, sections, review sessions, office hours, study groups, etc. During Fall/Spring semesters most people work all day, come to class at night, go home after. There isn't as much camaraderie.
Thank you for your reply! I'm definitely inclined to agree with you. The year 2 scenario you describe does sound like a dream scenario that gives just enough breathing room for a realistic shot at a strong mcat and a strong application.

Question: For those taking genchem fall/spring1 and shooting for only 2 courses per term + 1 summer course, is there still a realistic shot at finishing the program in 2 years and matriculating in med school 3 years out? Or, in your estimation, does only having one elective and taking difficult prereqs year two (say orgo and physics) when you ideally want to study for MCAT really strain these hopes?

If (based on feedback from you and others) summer 1 genchem is the only realistic way to have a strong application by the end of year 2 then I'll take that route.

Thank you for your reply! I'm definitely inclined to agree with you. The year 2 scenario you describe does sound like a dream scenario that gives just enough breathing room for a realistic shot at a strong mcat and a strong application.

Question: For those taking genchem fall/spring1 and shooting for only 2 courses per term + 1 summer course, is there still a realistic shot at finishing the program in 2 years and matriculating in med school 3 years out? Or, in your estimation, does only having one elective and taking difficult prereqs year two (say orgo and physics) when you ideally want to study for MCAT really strain these hopes?

If (based on feedback from you and others) summer 1 genchem is the only realistic way to have a strong application by the end of year 2 then I'll take that route.

It's really going to depend on you. I know for me personally, there is no chance I would be able to study enough to get the score I want if I was taking 2 prereq's at the same time. 1 prereq + MCAT study would probably be doable for me. If you plan on not taking Orgo 2, that frees up your final Spring a good bit.

It's really going to depend on you. I know for me personally, there is no chance I would be able to study enough to get the score I want if I was taking 2 prereq's at the same time. 1 prereq + MCAT study would probably be doable for me. If you plan on not taking Orgo 2, that frees up your final Spring a good bit.
Thanks!

If I operate under the following assumptions: I start Fall 2016, I take 1 class summer 2017, I only take 1 course spring of year 2 (as you said you did in order to prepare for MCAT) and I don't take more than 2 courses any given term, that gives me 8 slots, 7 of which are taken up by gen Chem 1&2, physics 1&2, bio1&2, and orgo1 (I assume these are the non-negotiable prereqs).

1) If I go about it this way, do you have a suggestion on what my 8th class should be? I suspect biochem but I don't know for sure. Would this depend on the requirements for the med school I apply to?

2) Do you know if only the 8 courses above (no physio, no genetics, no molecular bio, no biostats, or any of those good upper level courses) is enough to give me a chance at a good medical school? Or do admissions need to see more?

As I've mentioned, I'm trying to figure out if I need to include summer 2016 gen chem in my gameplan or if I can start in the fall if I want to matriculate 3 years out.

Thanks!

If I operate under the following assumptions: I start Fall 2016, I take 1 class summer 2017, I only take 1 course spring of year 2 (as you said you did in order to prepare for MCAT) and I don't take more than 2 courses any given term, that gives me 8 slots, 7 of which are taken up by gen Chem 1&2, physics 1&2, bio1&2, and orgo1 (I assume these are the non-negotiable prereqs).

1) If I go about it this way, do you have a suggestion on what my 8th class should be? I suspect biochem but I don't know for sure. Would this depend on the requirements for the med school I apply to?

2) Do you know if only the 8 courses above (no physio, no genetics, no molecular bio, no biostats, or any of those good upper level courses) is enough to give me a chance at a good medical school? Or do admissions need to see more?

As I've mentioned, I'm trying to figure out if I need to include summer 2016 gen chem in my gameplan or if I can start in the fall if I want to matriculate 3 years out.

1) Most schools are now accepting Biochem in place of Orgo2, so you would need to take it if you skip Orgo2. You should do your own research on this as well though, and check if any schools you really have your heart set on still want Orgo2. HES Biochem is no joke but IMO it was easier than any of the prereq's. I have to imagine it'd be a smaller time investment than Orgo2. It is also extremely MCAT-relevant.

2) I'm not a good person to answer this question, but just based on my knowledge from reading SDN, I think this depends on what the rest of your application looks like. If you got a 3.8 in your undergrad engineering program, get a 4.0 in the prereq's and crush the MCAT, there aren't really any questions about whether your academics are up to par. Just taking the prereq's is probably fine in this situation. On the other hand, if you have a questionable academic track record, you "have more to prove". Maybe taking some extra classes would help show that you've turned things around after a lackluster undergrad performance.

1) Most schools are now accepting Biochem in place of Orgo2, so you would need to take it if you skip Orgo2. You should do your own research on this as well though, and check if any schools you really have your heart set on still want Orgo2. HES Biochem is no joke but IMO it was easier than any of the prereq's. I have to imagine it'd be a smaller time investment than Orgo2. It is also extremely MCAT-relevant.

2) I'm not a good person to answer this question, but just based on my knowledge from reading SDN, I think this depends on what the rest of your application looks like. If you got a 3.8 in your undergrad engineering program, get a 4.0 in the prereq's and crush the MCAT, there aren't really any questions about whether your academics are up to par. Just taking the prereq's is probably fine in this situation. On the other hand, if you have a questionable academic track record, you "have more to prove". Maybe taking some extra classes would help show that you've turned things around after a lackluster undergrad performance.
Got it, thanks. This is all very useful to me especially as I continue to shape my perception of what it'll take to accomplish my goals.

Very exciting, nerve-racking times as im sure you may remember. But it's great to get guidance from someone who's been there!

Hi There!

I've been reading these threads for a while now and figured I might as well join in on the discussion - any one else out there still waiting to hear back for Fall '16 admission? I applied near the end of March and am hoping to hear back soon! What is strange is that I think I've been added to some sort of list serv as I am getting non application related emails from Dr. Fixsen...

Anyhow, I'm currently living in LA and working full time (a little more than full time, really) in management consulting but will be quitting my job this summer to go back to school on a more full time basis, hopefully to HES! In the meantime, I'm taking some courses through UCLA Extension (which hasn't been that fulfilling, to be honest) and Coursera (which has been more fulfilling than I was expecting). I volunteer in an Emergency Department and am planning on getting EMT and EKG certified this summer, also hoping to work part time in some emergency capacity while finishing up prereqs. As of now, I'm hoping to fast track to a year and a summer, as I took a lot of Bio in undergrad (though I ended up graduating with degrees in IR and Com) and am currently working on Gen Chem. Of course, the fast track plan is subject to change and I know I would strongly prefer an extra year with top med school prospects to a rushed year with not as good ones. After all, I rushed to finish my undergrad early and now here I am changing my career.

I did also want to let you know that it's been great to hear from all of you! About 5 months ago, I stumbled across SDN as I was struggling to validate my hope that I wasn't crazy and alone in wanting to quit a very well paying job with great benefits to essentially burn a good portion of my savings on at least 5 additional years of school. Sure enough, there were several relatable stories. By chance, I then came across the HES program and keep finding great tidbits about this and other post bacc programs. Thanks for all the advice! Hoping to hear back from Dr. Fixsen soon.

Greetings,

I just wanted to say thanks for the advice I've gleaned from you guys in this thread. I applied to the 2016 HES postbac program on the first day, and got an acceptance letter mid Feb. Since then I have been debating starting in the summer or waiting until fall, and decided to wait until summer so I can continue working for a bit longer. I am making the switch from law to medicine.

My acceptance letter states that I need a minimum of 20 credit hours to qualify for sponsorship. Is it possible to complete this, plus take the MCAT and apply, in two semesters and a summer, starting in the fall? I can commit all of my attention to studies and do not need to work while I am in the program. I believe it is possible from what I have read but I wanted to get any advice from you guys as well.

Finally, I am unsure about finding housing in the area. I know that most, if not all of the classes are at night, and many students live outside of the Cambridge area. Are there resources you guys can recommend for finding housing and/or roommates ... especially others in the same program?

Thanks everyone, best wishes to all of you.

My acceptance letter states that I need a minimum of 20 credit hours to qualify for sponsorship. Is it possible to complete this, plus take the MCAT and apply, in two semesters and a summer, starting in the fall? I can commit all of my attention to studies and do not need to work while I am in the program. I believe it is possible from what I have read but I wanted to get any advice from you guys as well.

Do you have any prereq's done already?

I think it becomes significantly less possible if you go Fall -> Spring -> Summer, as opposed to starting off with a summer class.

I think the most elegant solution is to start off with Summer1 Gen Chem, Physics+Bio+Orgo1 in the Fall, Physics+Bio+Biochem in the Spring. Probably aim at giving yourself a month for MCAT study after class ends, take it in early June, get your application in July-ish which isn't terrible.

It's a lot more awkward doing it the other way around. You end up leaving Orgo/Biochem for the summer.... At HES over the summer (actually Harvard Summer School), Orgo1+2 is one big 8-credit class that you can't split up, and biochem takes the whole summer as well. I don't think it would work out neatly. Your application will also be extremely late if you choose to postpone MCAT until after you've taken Orgo/Biochem, and it might be ill advised to attempt the MCAT without taking those classes.

Do you have any prereq's done already?

I think it becomes significantly less possible if you go Fall -> Spring -> Summer, as opposed to starting off with a summer class.

I think the most elegant solution is to start off with Summer1 Gen Chem, Physics+Bio+Orgo1 in the Fall, Physics+Bio+Biochem in the Spring. Probably aim at giving yourself a month for MCAT study after class ends, take it in early June, get your application in July-ish which isn't terrible.

It's a lot more awkward doing it the other way around. You end up leaving Orgo/Biochem for the summer.... At HES over the summer (actually Harvard Summer School), Orgo1+2 is one big 8-credit class that you can't split up, and biochem takes the whole summer as well. I don't think it would work out neatly. Your application will also be extremely late if you choose to postpone MCAT until after you've taken Orgo/Biochem, and it might be ill advised to attempt the MCAT without taking those classes.
No, I don't have any prereqs now. Thanks for the advice I will definitly have to take this into consideration. If I decide to start this summer with gen chem, do you think it is too late to find housing, roommates, etc... ?

Does anyone know what the most cost-effective way to procure class materials (books, workbooks, etc) is?

Last edited:
Does anyone know what the most cost-effective way to procure class materials (books, workbooks, etc) is?

There isn't really much to procure. You have to buy lab manuals from a print shop near campus (or sometimes there is a PDF available on course website). You can buy a hard copy of practice materials for some classes, or just download a PDF from course website.

Physics and Orgo didn't use a book at all. Gen Chem you don't really need the book, but if you want it as a reference the professor encourages buying an older edition off ebay for cheap. For Bio you will definitely want the book, though a PDF can also be found online.

There isn't really much to procure. You have to buy lab manuals from a print shop near campus (or sometimes there is a PDF available on course website). You can buy a hard copy of practice materials for some classes, or just download a PDF from course website.

Physics and Orgo didn't use a book at all. Gen Chem you don't really need the book, but if you want it as a reference the professor encourages buying an older edition off ebay for cheap. For Bio you will definitely want the book, though a PDF can also be found online.

Orgo uses Maitland Jones, textbook. 4th edition is fine, no need to get 5th. Also get orgo I & II as a second langauge.

Orgo uses Maitland Jones, textbook. 4th edition is fine, no need to get 5th. Also get orgo I & II as a second langauge.

I took Orgo 1 last semester and I don't think she mentioned the book a single time. I just opened up the syllabus though, and wouldn't you know it, you're right! Maitland Jones is listed as "recommended". I never felt any need for it but to each their own. I can't speak for Orgo 2 which has a different professor, maybe he uses the textbook more? I did get the impression that people found Orgo as a second language useful.

Hi all,

I'm not seeing Biochemistry in the 2016 Summer course catalog. Is the course not offered in the summer? I planned on taking it next summer so I may have to restructure my schedule if it's not offered 2017.

Thanks, Gurby.
Did you ever take a course with Professor Veil? I'm considering taking a summer course he's teaching called Principles of Molecular Biology but I am not sure if it is too challenging a class to be the one to get my feet wet.

I took Biochem with him last summer. It was a good class, but he pulls no punches and expects a lot from students. At the same time, he's really generous on grading especially on the lower end of the curve. I remember in office hours at some point he said something like, "it makes no difference to me whether a student gets an F or a C, so I'd rather give them the C." But he may be a bit more stingy about giving out A's.

Looking back at your posts above though, I don't understand why you would take this class now? 1) You need to have taken Intro Bio 2) You posted about needing to quit your job early and lose money, but this class is not a prereq and taking it doesn't accomplish anything at all for your application, so why not just keep working and start in the fall? 3) If you're going to take a summer class, it may as well be Gen Chem imo.

Hello! After years of friendly lurking, I finally made an account just to post the following: I've been accepted to HES and anticipate starting in Fall 2016. I'm very much looking forward to it.

Three questions:
1. I hope to continue working at my current full time job while completing my requirements, at least until I get to O Chem. Would anyone have insight on what worked for them in terms of course load and schedule, and how to structure studying? I'm planning on two classes a semester for two years (and one summer in between), and studying in the morning before work and on the weekends.
2. Has anyone lived in Harvard housing? I remember seeing somewhere that Harvard runs apartment-style housing that's available for non-traditional students. Thank you for the housing resources & schedule recommendations already included above, @Gurby.
3. I understand most of the classes are recorded, and exams are taken in person. Has anyone traveled or lived farther away while enrolled, viewing/listening to the lectures & studying remotely, then coming to Boston for exams?

Best wishes to everyone who is waiting to hear back.

Last edited:
I took Biochem with him last summer. It was a good class, but he pulls no punches and expects a lot from students. At the same time, he's really generous on grading especially on the lower end of the curve. I remember in office hours at some point he said something like, "it makes no difference to me whether a student gets an F or a C, so I'd rather give them the C." But he may be a bit more stingy about giving out A's.

Looking back at your posts above though, I don't understand why you would take this class now? 1) You need to have taken Intro Bio 2) You posted about needing to quit your job early and lose money, but this class is not a prereq and taking it doesn't accomplish anything at all for your application, so why not just keep working and start in the fall? 3) If you're going to take a summer class, it may as well be Gen Chem imo.

Hi Gurby,
I really appreciate that you have been following along as I try to plan out such a big step for me!
I was interested in taking this course because it is offered during the summer at night so I figured:
1) It would be a good way to get a sense of whether or not I would be able to handle working full time then going to class at night during the fall (if I somehow hold on to my position until January I get a bonus that would give me a lot of financial breathing room for the remainder of the program.)
2) I would get a sneak peak at Prof. Viel's teaching style for when I take Biochem (which I'm assuing is much more difficult.)
3) It would be a good way to ease myself back into study mode (and hopefully get an A, which from what you told me isn't exactly a slam dunk!!)

I would be able to take it because I took Bio my freshman year (only science I took in college and I'm planning to retake at HES).

My question for you is this: Do you think the reasons I mentioned above are worth me to take this class for $3000 (and risk starting off on the wrong path if I get a B or a C)? Also, would the 12 or so hours of lab experience I would get from the course not help my Med school application at all?
Because if it wouldn't be improving my chances then I think you're right...I shouldn't take the class and I am better off continuing to prepare for chem and Bio in the Fall. Thoughts?

Hi Gurby,
I really appreciate that you have been following along as I try to plan out such a big step for me!
I was interested in taking this course because it is offered during the summer at night so I figured:
1) It would be a good way to get a sense of whether or not I would be able to handle working full time then going to class at night during the fall (if I somehow hold on to my position until January I get a bonus that would give me a lot of financial breathing room for the remainder of the program.)
2) I would get a sneak peak at Prof. Viel's teaching style for when I take Biochem (which I'm assuing is much more difficult.)
3) It would be a good way to ease myself back into study mode (and hopefully get an A, which from what you told me isn't exactly a slam dunk!!)

I would be able to take it because I took Bio my freshman year (only science I took in college and I'm planning to retake at HES).

My question for you is this: Do you think the reasons I mentioned above are worth me to take this class for $3000 (and risk starting off on the wrong path if I get a B or a C)? Also, would the 12 or so hours of lab experience I would get from the course not help my Med school application at all?
Because if it wouldn't be improving my chances then I think you're right...I shouldn't take the class and I am better off continuing to prepare for chem and Bio in the Fall. Thoughts?

Seems reasonable. I don't think taking this class will help your med school application much, but you can still do it if you want. Keeping your job and not quitting to do summer chem seems like a good plan - I had figured you were moving from far away and would be quitting either way.

Seems reasonable. I don't think taking this class will help your med school application much, but you can still do it if you want. Keeping your job and not quitting to do summer chem seems like a good plan - I had figured you were moving from far away and would be quitting either way.

Hi Gurby,
I just I just realized that Biochem is also offered this summer during the night time with professor Viel.
Do you think I should stay away from it given that I took Intro to Bio over 6 years ago and that I have little to no chem background?
Or is it the type of course where one can do well by mastering the content taught in the class itself?

Hi Gurby,
I just I just realized that Biochem is also offered this summer during the night time with professor Viel.
Do you think I should stay away from it given that I took Intro to Bio over 6 years ago and that I have little to no chem background?
Or is it the type of course where one can do well by mastering the content taught in the class itself?

Pretty sure you would die. I saved lecture slides and can show them to you if you want.

Hi Gurby,

I took biochem last semester with Professor Robin Haynes, She was pretty good and graded generously. I felt that background knowledge in Bio/Chem/Orgo while a plus was completely unnecessary for the course. It'll definitely help you get a better grade, but if you read the book (especially on confusing topics), go over her slides and outline everything you should easily be able to get an A-. But this is my opinion, she's really good about giving students extra help and the curve is pretty generous as well.

Hi Gurby, I am also planning to take biochem this summer. I am taking Orgo in the fall and wanted to do biochem this summer to focus on Orgo in the fall. I am undecided thinking about the higher cost as well as the difficulty of the course. Do you know if summer biochem is substantially different in difficulty from fall biochem? From jonniboi's post, the fall biochem sounds manageable while from your experience the summer one sounds tough. If it is substantially difficult, I rather avoid the higher cost and take on the work alongside Orgo in the fall. What do you think?

I would recommend taking the summer class. Having more time for Orgo in the fall will be nice.

I ended up with an A for the class. Because the class is "curved", I don't really have a good sense of whether I overkilled it or was borderline A/A-. I said above that the curve is generous: if I recall correctly, he looked at what the class average was and made that a B, unless the average was above a 75% in which case 75% would be the cutoff between B/B-... Or something like that.

If you are hyper-neurotic like I am, I get the sense that the Fall course is more straightforward about what material you need to learn, and how your test grades correspond to your final grade. But I would guess that in reality they are comparable in terms of difficulty.

I will be starting the program this fall after completing chem I this summer at my local university. Does anyone have any suggestions for finding a roommate and decent housing? I have subscribed to the Facebook page. I am hoping to find someone who is also in the HCP.