**Official Interview/Acceptance/Rejection Thread 2012-2013**

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Got into Tufts & VCU. Such a hard decision.

Members don't see this ad.

Oh mah gahddd, I finally got my first interview!

UF on 2/6!

ABOUT TIME

Congrats!! With those scores, I am surprised you've gotten one so far. How many schools did you apply to?

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know whether LSU (Louisiana State University) sent any rejections or was everyone that was interviewed but not yet accepted put on an alternate list?
Also, have you heard of anyone that was accepted to LSU but they have decided to attend another dental school?

Quick update.

Declined Interview to Tufts
Interviewed at Univ. of Michigan, GHSU, MUSC, UCLA, USC, Western,
Rejected by UCLA, Western
Accepted at Univ. of Michigan, GHSU, MUSC, USC
Will Attend Univ. of Michigan

AADSAS mail-out date: Early June
Application complete date: Early July
undergrad GPA: 3.0
post bacc GPA (science, overall): 3.7, 3.7
DAT (AA/TS/PAT/Reading/any section below a 17): 19/19/23/20/no
Residency: CA

Does anyone know whether LSU (Louisiana State University) sent any rejections or was everyone that was interviewed but not yet accepted put on an alternate list?
Also, have you heard of anyone that was accepted to LSU but they have decided to attend another dental school?
LSU has sent rejections

Quick update.

Declined Interview to Tufts
Interviewed at Univ. of Michigan, GHSU, MUSC, UCLA, USC, Western,
Rejected by UCLA, Western
Accepted at Univ. of Michigan, GHSU, MUSC, USC
Will Attend Univ. of Michigan

AADSAS mail-out date: Early June
Application complete date: Early July
undergrad GPA: 3.0
post bacc GPA (science, overall): 3.7, 3.7
DAT (AA/TS/PAT/Reading/any section below a 17): 19/19/23/20/no
Residency: CA

First off - congratulations!! Michigan is a fantastic school. I couldn't help but notice, but my stats are nearly identical to yours in terms of GPA and DAT scores (except I didn't do a post-bacc), but I have yet to receive an interview :( Did you do a ton of shadowing/volunteering/extra-curriculars? What is your secret???

First off - congratulations!! Michigan is a fantastic school. I couldn't help but notice, but my stats are nearly identical to yours in terms of GPA and DAT scores (except I didn't do a post-bacc), but I have yet to receive an interview :( Did you do a ton of shadowing/volunteering/extra-curriculars? What is your secret???
I've PM-ed you!

Check your emails USC wait listers!

Accepted Feb 1st.

:)

Withdraw from UDM (Heartbreaking...I really fell in love with that school the moment I stepped in for my interview :cry::cry::cry: I wish I had a lot of money so I can afford OOS tuition).... at least one spot is available at UDM.

Taking myself out from Mid AZ. from their alternate list ( can't finish all prerequisites on time) Good luck to all on alternate list.

Withdraw from UDM (Heartbreaking...I really fell in love with that school the moment I stepped in for my interview :cry::cry::cry: I wish I had a lot of money so I can afford OOS tuition).... at least one spot is available at UDM.

Taking myself out from Mid AZ. from their alternate list ( can't finish all prerequisites on time) Good luck to all on alternate list.

I'm sure you'll be very happy in San Antonio :)
real estate in the area is supa cheap so if anything, at least you'll have a nice pad for d-school!

I'm sure you'll be very happy in San Antonio :)
real estate in the area is supa cheap so if anything, at least you'll have a nice pad for d-school!

Yup you are right about real estate, I am planning to checkout housing during my spring break. can any one please recommend some nice areas (renting or buying) around San Antonio ( don't want to drive too far for school)

Members don't see this ad :)
I wanna know too, koala! XD~ PM me please! :)
This is what I sent to the other person :)

Well,

I do have a personal story.
My undergraduate was law from Korea University.
Then worked in advertising for a while, and decided to pursue dentistry.. so packed my bags and moved all the way to the united states all by myself.. and shacked up in a small place in LA and did a self post bacc through evening classes at UCLA.

I did do one significant shadowing experience on Skid Row downtown LA at a free dental clinic for an extended time.

I want to say that a lot of prayer and faith and hard work.. and a little bit of luck got me through.

Also, I made sure that my application clearly showed my desire for a specific mission and vision I had in mind. Not just dentistry, but what I would do with dentistry.. this helped a lot during interviews because it was a great token for a sincere conversation.

Also, when did you apply?

I applied super early, which I think helped a lot to get my foot in the door for an interview. After that, I tried my best to ace my interviews.

Other than that, not sure what else... but I hope you have an idea of how I got into schools.

Even if you don't think that you have an elaborate story to tell, you are unique in yourself, I am 100% sure of that. Every one has a story they can tell. The challenge is to bring out that unique story or quality of yourself and make it jump out of the application. I truly think that's the most important part in getting an interview when your stats aren't stellar... it's the important part.. but I guess also a difficult part.

Hope it helps.
Feel free to ask anything you want.

Good Luck!

**Oh yea.. maybe having a strong upward trend in my grades probably helped too~ and the workload of science courses?.. because it was a self post bacc... i tried to take at least 4 science courses every quarter, and get straight A's.

Well,

Then worked in advertising for a while, and decided to pursue dentistry.. so packed my bags and moved all the way to the united states all by myself.. and shacked up in a small place in LA and did a self post bacc through evening classes at UCLA.

I did do one significant shadowing experience on Skid Row downtown LA at a free dental clinic for an extended time.

I want to say that a lot of prayer and faith and hard work.. and a little bit of luck got me through.

Also, I made sure that my application clearly showed my desire for a specific mission and vision I had in mind. Not just dentistry, but what I would do with dentistry.. this helped a lot during interviews because it was a great token for a sincere conversation.

I applied super early, which I think helped a lot to get my foot in the door for an interview. After that, I tried my best to ace my interviews.

Other than that, not sure what else... but I hope you have an idea of how I got into schools.

Even if you don't think that you have an elaborate story to tell, you are unique in yourself, I am 100% sure of that. Every one has a story they can tell. The challenge is to bring out that unique story or quality of yourself and make it jump out of the application. I truly think that's the most important part in getting an interview when your stats aren't stellar... it's the important part.. but I guess also a difficult part.

Hope it helps.

Good Luck!

good stuff man. good luck in dental school :D

Well,

Hope it helps.

Good Luck!

**Oh yea.. maybe having a strong upward trend in my grades probably helped too~ and the workload of science courses?.. because it was a self post bacc... i tried to take at least 4 science courses every quarter, and get straight A's.

Thank you! I loved it!

Wait listed at Boston University. Interviewed in November. Will be declining!

Interviews: Michigan, UDM, Nova Southeastern, Indiana, Midwestern (AZ)
Acceptances: Michigan, UDM, Nova Southeastern, Indiana, Midwestern (AZ)
Attending: Michigan

AADSAS mail-out date: First week of June
Application complete date: June 20th
cGPA: 3.55
sGPA: 3.33
DAT (AA/TS/PAT/Reading/any section below a 17): 20/22/18/22/no
Residency: MI

A spot will be opening up at Nova Southeastern- I'll be going to Michigan!

hey i'm a long time lurker and this is my first year applying but i applied to 14 schools and only heard back from 3 ( 1 rejection, 1 acceptance, and 1 more interview) and haven't heard back from the rest is that normal? do school not send rejections and just leave you hanging? and if not then what are the chances of hearing anything good at this point?

I am sending in the VCU deposit this Friday. Best of luck to you, hopefully we will be classmates next year.

I advised you to go the other way! But I feel you made a good choice :)
congrats
and hopefully we will be seeing each other in the fall!

Interviews Offered: Tufts, UIC, Midwestern (IL), Marquette, Western
Interviews Attended: UIC, Midwestern (IL), Marquette, Western
Interviews Declined: Tufts

Acceptances: UIC, Midwestern (IL), Western
Waitlisted: Marquette
Rejected: None

GPA: 3.6oGPA after academic update (it was 3.55 before the academic update)
DAT: 21/21/22/22/22

I will be attending UIC. I am an Illinois resident.

UPenn acceptance. They notified me about ten business days after my interview.

Hansolo1711
When was your interview date?
Did you get acceptance email or physical mail?

Last edited:
Has anyone heard from MUSC recently? On edge here! Checking mail everyday...

Rejected from Western after sending in a letter of intent. Pre-interview.

Rejected from:
UCONN
UMDNJ
BUFFALO

Waitlisted from:
NYU

Awaiting Decision:
Stony Brook

Accepted:
UNE

Just registered, kind of down right now after reading all of the acceptances.

Applied to 10 schools.

Rejections: UNC, UPenn, UTHSC, UTenn, OSU,

Supp App for UF in August no word since

Nothing from: Boston or Pitt

Interviewed VCU (VA resident) Nov. 6th - no word since

Got invited to interview at UMD today, will interview on the 27th

Stats:
cGPA 3.92 sGPA 3.92
DAT AA 19 TS 18 PA 18 QR 21 RC 21
Bio 17 GC 20 OC 17

I know the 17's hurt my application, but i'm just pretty bummed I have only received two interviews and no acceptances. Any idea how many spots are left in UMD class of '17? I know they interview tomorrow, and the 27th. Would be real bummed if they called me next week and told me there were no spots left and they didn't need me to come for an interview.

Is UMD Maryland? Keep your head up - at least you have gotten interviews. I haven't had one interview so far...

Just registered, kind of down right now after reading all of the acceptances.

Applied to 10 schools.

Rejections: UNC, UPenn, UTHSC, UTenn, OSU,

Supp App for UF in August no word since

Nothing from: Boston or Pitt

Interviewed VCU (VA resident) Nov. 6th - no word since

Got invited to interview at UMD today, will interview on the 27th

Stats:
cGPA 3.92 sGPA 3.92
DAT AA 19 TS 18 PA 18 QR 21 RC 21
Bio 17 GC 20 OC 17

I know the 17's hurt my application, but i'm just pretty bummed I have only received two interviews and no acceptances. Any idea how many spots are left in UMD class of '17? I know they interview tomorrow, and the 27th. Would be real bummed if they called me next week and told me there were no spots left and they didn't need me to come for an interview.

I called them Feb 1st. Will be calling again today

FutureDDS6 - I'm sorry to hear you haven't had any interviews yet, hopefully MD will send you a supp soon! and yes UMD is Maryland

Here's just an update of my cycle:

Applied: Columbia, NYU, USC, UMD, UNC, VCU, Tufts, Louisville, LECOM, UF, and Nova.
Interviewed: NYU, USC, UMD, UNC, VCU, Tufts, and LECOM (denied interview).
Waitlisted: NYU and USC
Rejected: UF, Nova, Louisville (all without interview), UNC (after interview)
Accepted: Tufts!

Everyone keep your head up though. I just got into Tufts this past Tuesday. You'll get into the right school at the right time, so don't stress too much. I wish you all the best of luck!