**Official Interview/Acceptance/Rejection Thread 2014-2015**

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
No Tufts rejection yet. Am I still being considered? :eyebrow:

Members don't see this ad.

Just got a scholarship for school! I'm relying solely on private loans so this makes things a bit easier! Hopefully I work hard enough to earn more scholarships in the future. :clap:

Reactions: 4 users
Anyone receive a rejection from temple?

Members don't see this ad :)
What else did you have with your application? A reasonable GPA and a good DAT is nice, but it's not the only thing they consider. Maybe people can offer suggestions for improving your app for next cycle if you list what you had for shadowing, volunteer work, EC's, etc. Also, when did you apply?
Applied early (late June). 18 schools. Shadowed 150 hours. Research for a year. 300 hours of volunteer work. Treasurer for my school Chem student org.

Of course my impression of this whole process is that the only thing they consider is how much they personally "like" me

Last edited:
After a long and arduous application process, I was accepted to NYU today via e-mail. (4/09)

NYU-Accepted
Tufts/LECOM/Tennessee - Waitlisted
About 10 others - rejected.

I'm absolutely thrilled and it still hasn't settled in yet.

I wish everyone the absolute best luck with the rest of the process. I'll likely be removing myself from the 3 waitlists I'm on next week.

Reactions: 16 users
Just heard from my final school on my list. Rejection from Tufts. Oh well.

Reactions: 1 user
After a long and arduous application process, I was accepted to NYU today via e-mail. (4/09)

NYU-Accepted
Tufts/LECOM/Tennessee - Waitlisted
About 10 others - rejected.

I'm absolutely thrilled and it still hasn't settled in yet.

I wish everyone the absolute best luck with the rest of the process. I'll likely be removing myself from the 3 waitlists I'm on next week.
Congrats!!:highfive:

I was accepted there. 3.05 oGPA 3.05 sGPA 21 DAT OH resident (but grew up in Nebraska) I am however going to attend tOSU, because that's where I live now.

I've been accepted to BU :soexcited:, but does anyone know what GPA needs to be maintained since they do not specify?

Reactions: 1 users
Applied early (late June). 18 schools. Shadowed 150 hours. Research for a year. 300 hours of volunteer work. Treasurer for my school Chem student org.

Of course my impression of this whole process is that the only thing they consider is how much they personally "like" me
That sucks. Maybe there was a red flag? Or your PS wasn't strong enough?

Members don't see this ad :)

And this is important. With very limited seats at most schools, they want to know that you will fit into their class and school well.

And this is important. With very limited seats at most schools, they want to know that you will fit into their class and school well.
Yup. That's how it is. They assure me that I did nothing "wrong" when I asked. At the end of the day, your gpa/DAT/EC aren't the most important thing that will get you accepted. The admission process isn't screening so much for good dentist as much as it is screening for people who will satisfy the men (typically old and white) that are sitting in a circle.

The admission process isn't screening so much for good dentist as much as it is screening for people who will satisfy the men (typically old and white) that are sitting in a circle.
:whoa:

Yup. That's how it is. They assure me that I did nothing "wrong" when I asked. At the end of the day, your gpa/DAT/EC aren't the most important thing that will get you accepted. The admission process isn't screening so much for good dentist as much as it is screening for people who will satisfy the men (typically old and white) that are sitting in a circle.
I doubt that it's true lol. They try to get a balance amount of people from different background (race, gender, etc.) while also try to look at stats, E.C. and personalities. Did you receive interviews?

If you want somewhere that ONLY looks at stats...apply to Canada. They ONLY look at stats. No personal statement, no shadowing...straight stats.

If you want somewhere that ONLY looks at stats...apply to Canada. They ONLY look at stats. No personal statement, no shadowing...straight stats.

Being a Canadian, this is 100% correct. Other than McGill. They look at EC's and have a personal statement. But all other Canadian schools only look at GPA and DAT.

I doubt that it's true lol. They try to get a balance amount of people from different background (race, gender, etc.) while also try to look at stats, E.C. and personalities. Did you receive interviews?
Yes, that's what I said. "The admission process isn't screening so much for good dentists as much as it is screening for people who will satisfy the men (typically old and white) that are sitting in a circle."

@irishmom: I have bad EC?

Yes, that's what I said. "The admission process isn't screening so much for good dentists as much as it is screening for people who will satisfy the men (typically old and white) that are sitting in a circle."

@irishmom: I have bad EC?

I was at a class at the Oregon Dental conference this weekend and the presenter put up two pictures. The first was of a group of 6 dentists who were being recognized for 30 years of membership in his local dental society. All 6 were white males. The same night the organization was welcoming 6 new members. The group included 3 men, 3 women. Two males were Asian, one middle eastern. One woman was Indian, another asian, a third Hispanic. The face of dentistry is changing and that change is happening faster now that at any time in the history of the profession. If you think systemic bias is keeping you out of dentistry, you may be right, but you are probably wrong. In 20-30 years the demographic will be radically different than it is today. Of the 10 officers in my predental club only one is white. One of my interviewers was an Asian male, the other was a Caucasian female. I don't think the "circle of old white men" was a huge factor there. If you applied that widely with those stats and not one single acceptance you may want to take a critical look at your application and yourself first before using your URM status as an excuse.

I am just surprised as anyone when this suddenly became a race issue, but I am even more surprised that I was just labeled an URM

So...you're a white person, complaining about not being able to please older white people?

So...you're a white person, complaining about not being able to please older white people?
I am a white male complaining about not being to please the admission committee. My imagery to old white male sitting in a circle as an allusion to manipulative politicians was overshadowed by the more evident presumption that I am a racist bigot. My bad for the confusion :shrug:

I am a white male complaining about not being to please the admission committee. My imagery to old white male sitting in a circle as an allusion to manipulative politicians was overshadowed by the more evident presumption that I am a racist bigot. My bad for the confusion :shrug:
So you being white has nothing to do with your rejections and your stats are fine...

My only guess would be you tried to incorporate your mastery of sarcasm into the interviews and it totally bombed.

Reactions: 2 users
The amount of personal attacks I have received for my unpopular opinion has been astonishing to say the least.

Not a personal attack. I genuinely believe that, given your stats, it had to have been something to do with your interview.

I was at a class at the Oregon Dental conference this weekend and the presenter put up two pictures. The first was of a group of 6 dentists who were being recognized for 30 years of membership in his local dental society. All 6 were white males. The same night the organization was welcoming 6 new members. The group included 3 men, 3 women. Two males were Asian, one middle eastern. One woman was Indian, another asian, a third Hispanic. The face of dentistry is changing and that change is happening faster now that at any time in the history of the profession. If you think systemic bias is keeping you out of dentistry, you may be right, but you are probably wrong. In 20-30 years the demographic will be radically different than it is today. Of the 10 officers in my predental club only one is white. One of my interviewers was an Asian male, the other was a Caucasian female. I don't think the "circle of old white men" was a huge factor there. If you applied that widely with those stats and not one single acceptance you may want to take a critical look at your application and yourself first before using your URM status as an excuse.

What is URM? Underrepresented Minority?

Sarcasm don't work well on internet forums ... and dental school interviews, if anyone's getting any bright ideas.

Reactions: 1 users
I used sarcasm on a separate and irrelevant thread. And then someone else decided dig up my sarcastic remark to try to prove his point. But **** me for using sarcasm excessively, right?

This thread has gone rogue. Can we please stay on topic?
I would also like for this to stay on topic instead of having strangers stick up imaginary red flags on my application.

Last edited:
This thread has gone rogue. Can we please stay on topic?

I used sarcasm during my interviews... mostly self-deprecating sarcasm but still.

I used sarcasm on a separate and irrelevant thread. And then someone else decided dig up my sarcastic remark to try to prove his point. But **** me for using sarcasm excessively, right?

I would also like for this to stay on topic instead of having strangers stick up imaginary red flags on my application.
Well you asked what might be wrong with your app and people responded... it really does seem like your attitude is the issue. Unless you give us genuine info without a dash of sarcasm, there isn't really much to go on.

Well you asked what might be wrong with your app and people responded... it really does seem like your attitude is the issue. Unless you give us genuine info without a dash of sarcasm, there isn't really much to go on.
Except I didn't ask what might be wrong with my application. Everyone just started assuming what went wrong with my app.

Last edited:
Except I didn't ask what might be wrong with my application. Everyone just started assuming what went wrong with my app.
That is true, someone else asked if there were any red flags. When you apply to 18 schools and have good stats I guess people wonder "how did this person not get in". Of course the tendency is to rationalize it by thinking it must be a problem with your personal statement or your interviews went poorly. Then everyone wants to be helpful and brainstorm ideas. I'm sure if you have to apply again, and you want help, you will start a thread about it.

Good luck.

That is true, someone else asked if there were any red flags. When you apply to 18 schools and have good stats I guess people wonder "how did this person not get in". Of course the tendency is to rationalize it by thinking it must be a problem with your personal statement or your interviews went poorly. Then everyone wants to be helpful and brainstorm ideas. I'm sure if you have to apply again, and you want help, you will start a thread about it.

Good luck.
I agree! I think this extremely long waiting period has left many of us sensitive. We don't know how to make sense of the long wait and the possible rejections after all good effort we have put in. I personally come to this site back and forth to learn from others experiences and would think that everyone tries to give advise with good intention.

Reactions: 3 users
The only reason I check this thread is to see if people have gotten interviews, acceptance, rejections, waitlists from schools not to read a bunch of lame "burns"

Reactions: 13 users
The only reason I check this thread is to see if people have gotten interviews, acceptance, rejections, waitlists from schools not to read a bunch of lame "burns"
I'd rather read lame burns than nothing :wacky:

Dude, when you are talking does it also sounds like this? Seems like you are writing an american literature book or some type of poetry.

Accepted at Stony Brook school of dental medicine from wait list

Reactions: 21 users
So I know its late but I thought i'd chime in because I applied very late(don't do this), with average stats and wasn't expecting to hear back from anywhere. So maybe this will give someone hope for next cycle!

Submitted APP: Mid November
Interviews: LECOM, Nova, Tufts, Midwestern-Ill, Declined interviews from NYU and Temple.
Waitlisted: LECOM
Accepted: Nova, Midwestern IL, Tufts

GPA: 3.4ish (science), 3.55 (overall)
DAT: 20 AA 19 TS

Reactions: 5 users
So I know its late but I thought i'd chime in because I applied very late(don't do this), with average stats and wasn't expecting to hear back from anywhere. So maybe this will give someone hope for next cycle!

Submitted APP: Mid November
Interviews: LECOM, Nova, Tufts, Midwestern-Ill, Declined interviews from NYU and Temple.
Waitlisted: LECOM
Accepted: Nova, Midwestern IL, Tufts

GPA: 3.4ish (science), 3.55 (overall)
DAT: 20 AA 19 TS

Congrats! Those are great schools, you have a tough choice!

When do people with multiple acceptances have to decide which school they are choosing?