**Official Interview/Acceptance/Rejection Thread 2014-2015**

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Rejected from Tennessee. Number 6:/

When you guys say Nebraska do you mean creighton?
Creighton is in Omaha and Nebraska is in Lincoln. I imagine they mean the school in Lincoln.

Members don't see this ad.

Got an interview invite from NYU but im already holding offers from UNLV and ASDOH. I'm from CA...should I skip out on this one?

Nebraska and Kentucky rejected.
Iowa deferred.
Interviewed in Nov but no news from Colorado.
No post-Dec interviews so far. I'm getting nervous but feel kinda ready to reapply :(
Don't feel like that. The tide turns again in mid January.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Rejected from Howard.
No email - found out through Portal.

Rejection: Tennessee

Still waiting to hear from 14 schools. I'm hoping my academic update will help.
BIOL 595: Protein structure and function = A
CHM 533: Biochemistry = A+
Also email a bunch of schools updating volunteer hours (200 more for a total of 400).

Got an interview invite from NYU but im already holding offers from UNLV and ASDOH. I'm from CA...should I skip out on this one?
If you want to go to school relatively close to your family and you know you're not going to move to NY, then why waste money?

I'm still waiting on 11 schools. I got rejected from 6, interviewed at 1 and never heard back, and was placed on continuing review at 1. My gpa is totally the problem.. 2.96 science and 3.26 cum and 3.8 non science. I retook both orgo semesters. I don't know what to do next. My resume is great.. Lots of research/shadowing/volunteering. And I spent my gap year in a dental lab. Should I spend another gap year in the lab if i have to reapply or should I get a masters? Any advice is appreciated.

Also the only local SMP is at BU, so money is definitely an issue for me, otherwise I would've jumped into the masters instead of the lab.

I think so. But I'd feel weird saying no to an interview invite. I already put a deposit down on Temple, but I'd like to see what Tufts has to offer.
I'm on the same boat. I'm going to my interview because one of my best friends is a student at tufts. She loves it there, so I want to make sure I'm making the right choice at the end.

I'm still waiting on 11 schools. I got rejected from 6, interviewed at 1 and never heard back, and was placed on continuing review at 1. My gpa is totally the problem.. 2.96 science and 3.26 cum and 3.8 non science. I retook both orgo semesters. I don't know what to do next. My resume is great.. Lots of research/shadowing/volunteering. And I spent my gap year in a dental lab. Should I spend another gap year in the lab if i have to reapply or should I get a masters? Any advice is appreciated.

Also the only local SMP is at BU, so money is definitely an issue for me, otherwise I would've jumped into the masters instead of the lab.
I had about the same GPA (My science was lower), about 2k hours in a lab, and completed my masters. So far I have had 5 interview invites and 1 rejection. Doing the masters will open doors.

Reactions: 1 users
I had about the same GPA (My science was lower), about 2k hours in a lab, and completed my masters. So far I have had 5 interview invites and 1 rejection. Doing the masters will open doors.
Thank you. What school did you go to for the masters?

Members don't see this ad :)
I went to Barry U in Florida. SEVERAL students got in by Dec 1st. The program has a history of getting people into dental school.

Were you ever waitlisted?
Colorado doesn't do the waitlist thing. I was told that if we didn't hear back on Dec 1st it means we're still in their "applicant pool" and they will continue to interview new people.

Finally just came back to reality..
Accepted to Harvard!
Declining offers from Penn, Columbia, Buffalo, Maryland, and Rutgers, and an interview from Tufts.
Couldn't be more excited:) glad this process is finally over! Good luck to everyone.. you've kept me semi-sane the past couple of months!

Reactions: 15 users
Rejected from penn.

So that's 3 rejections, 3 waitlists, 11 silent schools, and 1 acceptance.

If this whole process isn't humbling, I don't know what else is.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users

Get a masters! My application sounds exactly like urs and last year after I didn't get in I did a one year masters and it made such a difference!! I had a poor GPA, okay DAT and killer extracurriculars ... The masters strengthened my application! I know it is expensive but such a great investment if u do well and reapply!

Get a masters! My application sounds exactly like urs and last year after I didn't get in I did a one year masters and it made such a difference!! I had a poor GPA, okay DAT and killer extracurriculars ... The masters strengthened my application! I know it is expensive but such a great investment if u do well and reapply!
Where did you get your masters? So you were completing it while your second app was under review? Thank you for responding!!

Where did you get your masters? So you were completing it while your second app was under review? Thank you for responding!!

I did my masters at Regis university in Denver. I waited and applied after I graduated just cuz I wanted to ensure I didn't waste more applying. Many people apply tho while they are in the program! I would literally call a couple schools u really want to go to that u get rejected from and just ask them what u should do to get in...just to make sure it is the right decision. I called two schools when I didn't get in and they told me to do a masters... and then after I graduated I sent them a follow up email and told them I followed their advice and to look for my application-it worked wonders!

Thank you so much:)
The interesting thing is that some schools have preferences. So make sure you call the schools to see where they may would want you to go.

I know many people that have applied to dental school while doing their masters, this works best if applying to the dental school on campus (ie. same as your masters program). They typically just wait until first quarter/semester grades are up. But waiting until you are done with your masters will likely give you the best chance.
Some schools will not even review your app until you complete the Masters. However, from what I've seen, it's on a case by case thing.

Interesting. At my school I know 20+ of our students did the masters the year before. So I guess it is a school by school thing as you said. Talking to those kids they did the masters and then after december interviewed and got in based on the past semester's grades.
I completed mine this December and had 3 pre-december interviews. I got 2 more after graduation. However, I have a friend who submitted his unofficial transcript to a school and was then given an interview. I also know a few people who had interviews their first semester of doing their masters.

Ok so I had finals last week and I now know my grades for this semester. I submitted my academic update and went to my university today to have my official transcript sent out. However, according to the lady at the registrar office, since we just had finals even though I can see my grade on the unofficial transcript they won't be available officially for another week or so. So my transcript is being held for this semester's grades until being sent out to AADSAS. That means AADSAS won't receive it for at least a week or two and then you have to figure the time it takes to process it.

Do you think it would be wise to email my schools the unofficial transcript showing the grades I received just to give them something?

Yes! Then if you there is a school or two you are interested in you can even send them an official when it goes through. You will have to anyway after you get accepted to verify pre requisites.

But it would be a good idea to send unofficial transcripts.

Thanks. That's what I was thinking.

Rejection #1
UPENN by snail mail.

Formal letter saying they couldn't offer me an interview.
Dang, I never thought it would be this depressing to get a rejection letter...

Two weeks ago sent an application update to Louisville with course progress grades (hadn't taken finals yet) and additional volunteer hours, yesterday emailed them unofficial transcripts with this semester's grades, and today I got an INTERVIEW INVITE!!!!!! January 26 is the big day. Can't wait!!

Reactions: 10 users
Two weeks ago sent an application update to Louisville with course progress grades (hadn't taken finals yet) and additional volunteer hours, yesterday emailed them unofficial transcripts with this semester's grades, and today I got an INTERVIEW INVITE!!!!!! January 26 is the big day. Can't wait!!
Congrats :)

I'm so jealous. Merry Christmas!

I'm so jealous. Merry Christmas!

Thanks! I was definitely not expecting that. I'd say I was hoping for something once AADSAS received my official transcripts for the update.

School: USC
Notification date: 12/23/2014
Method of notification: Email
Residency: CA
AADSAS mail-out date: 07/14/14
Application complete date:07/14/2014
GPA (science, overall): 3.2,3.3
DAT (AA/TS/PAT/Reading/any section below a 17):25/28/20/20

Hey all, just thought I would contribute for what it is worth. Congratulations everyone - Christmas came early!

Residency: WA
AADSAS mail-out date: 6/27/14
Application complete date: 6/20/14
GPA (science, overall): 3.9, 3.9
DAT (AA/TS/PAT/Reading/any section below a 17): 22/23/22/21

Interviews Attended: UW, UConn, UCSF
Interviews Declined: Nova, UNLV
Accepted: UW, UConn
Rejected: OSU, UPenn

Last edited:
Late to this part but...

Accepted to: Florida, Tennessee, LECOM
Waitlsted: NOVA
Still awaiting reply: UAB
REjected: NYU and Kentucky

Will be attending: Univeristy of Florida!!!

Reactions: 2 users
Do the schools get notified about your academic update right away (as it is submitted online) or does this happen only after it is verified by aadsas?

Do the schools get notified about your academic update right away (as Tis submitted online) or does this happen only after Tis verified by aadsas?

I believe they are able to access it similarly to how they can access your application as soon as you submit. However, your application is mailed again after you submit your transcript and the update is verified.

Interview #5

School: USC
Method of notification: Email
Residency: FL
AADSAS mail-out date: 7/01/2014
Application complete date: 6/25/2014
GPA (science, overall) 3.80/3.82
DAT (AA/TS/PAT/Reading/any section below a 17): 21/22/18/20/ yes, QR 16

Reactions: 2 users
Also got an interview from USC a couple of days ago but will be turning it down. Good luck to everyone waiting and Merry Christmas!

GPA: 3.47/3.42
DAT: 21/21/23

I will turn down acceptances at NYU, Maryland and Rutgers with scholarship offers. I wish any of you get good news soon. I decided that I want to be a Gator Dentist :)

Reactions: 6 users
I will turn down acceptances at NYU, Maryland and Rutgers with scholarship offers. I wish any of you get good news soon. I decided that I want to be a Gator Dentist :)

I thought rutgers told us they don't give scholarships due to funding?

congrats

Turning down interview at NYU and UNLV. Good luck to everyone awaiting for an acceptance!

Reactions: 3 users
:)Acceptance:)

School: MUSC
Method of notification: UPS
Residency: SC
AADSAS mail-out date: 07/14/14
Application complete date:07/14/2014
GPA (science, overall): 3.55
DAT (AA/TS/PAT/Reading/any section below a 17): 21/22/21/20

Last edited: