Official July 24, 2014 MCAT Thread(because just once wasn't fun enough!)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

southpawcannon

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Begin.

Members don't see this ad.

I got a 10 on verbal last summer and a 6 on it this summer...i dont understand at all

Reactions: 1 users
Test Date: 7/24/2014
FL AAMC Average: 31 ranging from 28-32
Post-test expected score: N/A I had no clue how I did so I didn't even bother making a prediction.
Actual Score: ( PS/V/BS): 32 (10/12/10)

Comments: I am EXTREMELY happy right now!! This was completely unexpected given how hard the PS was and the fact that I literally guessed on two passages. I thought I did significantly worse on PS (7/8) and way better on BS (11/12), but I'd much rather have two 10's than an 8 & 12. I'm just glad I scored my highest practice score on the real thing and that I have an even score breakdown. So glad to be done with this thing!

Reactions: 1 user
FL AAMC Average: 29
Post-test expected score: 27-32
Actual Score: ( PS / V / BS) 31(10/10/11)
Comments: Slightly lower than I wanted but satisfied overall I didn't bomb it. Applying to MD and DO programs this year. Will retake if I don't get in once I score 35-36 consistently on practice exams. Glad the tension is over!

Members don't see this ad :)
FL AAMC Average: 39
Post-test expected score: 35
Actual Score: ( PS / V / BS) 38 (12/12/14)

Relieved and confused. I felt terrible coming out of it. (Knew for sure that I had missed 1 in PS, 3 in BS and was unsure about 3 answers in V). I actually had a dream two nights ago that I got 35 (13/10/12). The breakdown completely surprised me, I thought I had done much better in PS and much worse in BS. I suspect that the questions I missed in BS ended up being experimental and those I got right in PS ended up being experimental. Oh well. Can't be more relieved to only have to do this once. I panicked when I saw almost all the remaining test dates for 2014 were full and almost signed up for the Jan 2015 exam. I didn't believe this before but the takeaway seems to be trust in your FL AAMC average!

Attachments

• upload_2014-8-26_16-25-20.png
    upload_2014-8-26_16-25-20.png
    95 bytes · Views: 286
Hey guys I need ur help. Just received my Mcat scores today 9/9/11 29 and a gpa of 3.95 in addition to lots of community service and volunteering. I'm trying to get into any MD schools.

Do you guys think I have a good chance or should I start applying to DO schools? I need your feedback ASAP. if it was may I would have had a good chance but since it's a little late I don't know if my chances are decent anymore. Thanks a lot for your time!

they DEFINITELY curved PS on this. I don't care who says they don't curve the real thing. they definitely do

Hey guys I need ur help. Just received my Mcat scores today 9/9/11 29 and a gpa of 3.95 in addition to lots of community service and volunteering. I'm trying to get into any MD schools.

Do you guys think I have a good chance or should I start applying to DO schools? I need your feedback ASAP. if it was may I would have had a good chance but since it's a little late I don't know if my chances are decent anymore. Thanks a lot for your time!
I'm in a similar predicament. Any advice would be appreciated!!

I just knew PS killed me! 6/10/9. Damn you MCAT. Well just spent another $275....I definitely need some PS resources.

Sad :(

Test date: 7/24/14
FL Avg: 32ish
Post test expected score: 31
Actual Score: 33 (PS: 14, V: 8, BS: 11)

Don't know if I should be happy with the 33 or disappointed with the 8 in verbal. Was expecting at least a 9 in verbal because it was such an easy read and my averages were around 9. Thought I'd get at least a 12 in bio so a little disappointed. Didn't expect the 14 in physical even though averages were around 13. There was definitely a large curve on the physics.

I'm a reapplicant with a cGPA 3.77 and sGPA 3.87. Anyone got any advice?

FIRST TIME MCAT 4/2014: 9/8/10.... 27

AAMC average: 31

SECOND TIME MCAT 7/2014: 8/10/11.... 29

THANK goodness I didn't do worse, because that is honestly how I felt. I only applied MD, hoping my 29 is acceptable!

they DEFINITELY curved PS on this. I don't care who says they don't curve the real thing. they definitely do

As someone who is terrified of anything related to physics but who consistently scores highest in the PS sections, I say the scale for grading must be VERY generous. So it might not necessary be a curve because they don't grade you based on how others did but it's more like everyone gets bumped up.

So can I burn my study materials now?

FL AAMC Average: 30
Post-test expected score: 28-32
Actual Score: 28 (PS-8/VR-10/BS-10)

Comments: This is my first time posting on here. On my first test (5/31/14), I received a score of 26 (PS-11, VR-5, BS-10). I ran out of time on the verbal section on that test. Retake, obviously.

This time, I managed to do decently on VR (10) and BS (10), but dropped three points in PS to an 8. With the full score disclosure policy, schools should see all my scores. That said, if they look at my best in each section, I would have PS-11, VR-10, BS-10, making an overall 31. I don't know if any schools will do that, though...

I don't think I'll retake because with my luck, BS will be hard or something next time and my BS score will go down. It seems these tests are just super variable! I just hope schools will see I've done decently well in each section, just not necessarily on one test. I'm applying to both MD and DO schools, and I know I'll be competitive at DO schools with my highest composite of 28. That's awesome, and I would definitely be happy at a DO school. Not sure about a lot of MD schools, though. Apps have been submitted, so now I'll just wait and see!

In any case, good luck to everyone applying this cycle! Keep your heads high. You've made it this far, only a little further to go!

Members don't see this ad :)
FL AAMC Average: 31
Post-test expected score: 30
Actual Score: ( PS / V / BS) 33 (10/11/12)
Comments: THANK GOD FOR CURVING

Last edited:
I got 14 on BS, 9 on PS, 8 on verbal.

Think I need to rewrite? (trying to get into a Canadian school, or an American school as a Canadian)

Think I need to rewrite? (trying to get into a Canadian school, or an American school as a Canadian)
Which Canadian school? Some have 'hard' cutoffs of 10/11 in each section so you might need to if you want to apply to those ones

Any Canadian school really. Do you know if those could those get me into any school at all
Queen's screens out everything below 10/10/10, Western wants 10/11/12, U of T needs 9/9/9, and Dal will screen you out (unless your from the maritimes) with >1 score at 9 or lower

FL AAMC Average: 25.5
Post-test expected score: 23-26
Actual Score: 29 :) , 8 11 10

Comments: I definitely exceeded my expectations! I'm really happy with my score. Was originally planning on only applying to DO schools, but I will also try for some of my in state MD schools (Michigan). I was really close to voiding it, but thanks to sdn, I knew that post test feelings don't indicate actual score!! Thanks everyone!

Reactions: 3 users
FL AAMC Average: 30-31
Post-test expected score: 28-29
Actual Score: ( PS / V / BS) 31 (10/10/11)

First time posting- I took the April 24 MCAT and got a 29 (9/11/9). I felt extremely discouraged, but decided to retake for this date.
I felt horrible after this exam. I thought I would either do the same or worse, but ended up improving.
Just wanted to post to tell others who are in a similar place to keep trying. Even if you feel like it's impossible, just put in the work. I know my score isn't stellar, but I worked hard for it.

Reactions: 5 users
FL AAMC Average: 30-31
Post-test expected score: 28-29
Actual Score: ( PS / V / BS) 31 (10/10/11)

First time posting- I took the April 24 MCAT and got a 29 (9/11/9). I felt extremely discouraged, but decided to retake for this date.
I felt horrible after this exam. I thought I would either do the same or worse, but ended up improving.
Just wanted to post to tell others who are in a similar place to keep trying. Even if you feel like it's impossible, just put in the work. I know my score isn't stellar, but I worked hard for it.

What did you do differently second time around?

yep - i think it would be wise to retake, just to have a more balanced score. As was mentioned earlier, canadian med schools have some tough cut offs, with the minimum goal probably being a 32 (with at least a 10 in everything) to avoid being screened anywhere. It's just getting tougher and tougher each year :(

What did you do differently second time around?

The first time I took a Kaplan course during the semester which I thought was actually really helpful, but I guess it didn't allow me to spend enough time with the material. The second time, I studied on my own and re-used the Kaplan materials, but added EK into the mix. At the time, I didn't think EK Bio (with EK 1001) was as great as everyone said, but I guess it did help me improve my Bio score. I think the most important thing for me was focusing mostly on the old AAMC exams for practice. I used the older AAMC exams for practice questions and the newer ones for full length practice.

Hope that helps!

8PS/8VR/10BS. Huge improvement from my original score, but I'm a little disappointed (really disappointed about the 8 in PS...). I don't think I'm going to retake because I plan on staying IS, but if I don't make it in this cycle I'll sign up again.

FL AAMC Average: 28
Actual Score: ( PS / V / BS) 22 (10, 2, 10).

I BOMBED VERBAL :( I have no idea how this happened. I will retake this for sure in October. Just gotta keep my head held high. To those who didn't do what they thought, remember, this is just a test. Life goes on. This verbal score is so depressing, but I'm gonna keep pushing and working hard. Congratulations to all

Reactions: 2 users
Test Date: 7/24/2014 (first time)
FL AAMC Average: 38
Post-test expected score: 29-35
Actual Score: ( PS / V / BS) 39 (12/12/15)

Very excited! This is the happiest I've been in a while. I was not expecting this score. The only section that I had been confident about when I walked out was Bio, and that was only because I finished it 30 minutes early and checked over the entire section.

Big shoutout to Kaplan! I took the online course and then supplemented with TPR Cracking the MCAT Book and all of the Examkrackers 1001 books. Overall I took 17 practice exams (full lengths) as well as all Kaplan topical tests and all Kaplan section tests. Hope this score helps with MD/PhD applications!

Reactions: 4 users
FL AAMC Average: 28
Actual Score: ( PS / V / BS) 22 (10, 2, 10).

I BOMBED VERBAL :( I have no idea how this happened. I will retake this for sure in October. Just gotta keep my head held high. To those who didn't do what they thought, remember, this is just a test. Life goes on. This verbal score is so depressing, but I'm gonna keep pushing and working hard. Congratulations to all

Your AAMC average indicates that you probably just had a crazy fluke day. Also, your science sections are in good shape, so you don't have to worry too much about improving those! Keep up the great attitude!

Reactions: 2 users
I signed up for september 18th
Signed up for that day as well to retake, what's your retake studying strategy? I'm so confused as to how to make a significant improvement in 3 weeks, are you applying this cycle?

Signed up for that day as well to retake, what's your retake studying strategy? I'm so confused as to how to make a significant improvement in 3 weeks, are you applying this cycle?
Hey...SO I got such a low score on the verbal cause I freaked out after working on that stupid PS!
For my retake, I will do a lot of VR practice tests AND Review notes for other sections. Knowing the basic will help me approach the complex questions. I don't wanna take the new MCAT!

My test was 11-6-8 so I just bought the EK 101 verbal book and im gonna shoot to finish that before the 18th. For science I was just gonna review my PS notes and I also bought 3 of the BR practice tests because i took all the AAMC ones already. Yeah I am applying this cycle. I need a 28 for my BS/MD program which is such an attainable score, but if i dont get that i guess its DO for me.

Post-test expected score: 23-32 (expected PS to be 6-7 and verbal 10+)
Actual Score: ( PS / V / BS) 30 (11/8/11)

Comments: (First time posting). I am grateful to people who posted their experience and thoughts right after the July 24 exam. I was unsatisfied with my PS performance and a little depressed after the exam. But reading posts here comforted me a lot. Imho, they definitely curved PS and verbal sections. Based on my FL practice scores, I was expecting 6-7 on PS and at least 10 on verbal. I always get 9-10 on verbal and I thought I did very well on that section. I guess many people did well on verbal. PS score was a pleasant surprise. Overall the score turns out to be exactly as my FL average. Hope this helps future test-takers.

Post-test expected score: 23-32 (expected PS to be 6-7 and verbal 10+)
Actual Score: ( PS / V / BS) 30 (11/8/11)

Comments: (First time posting). I am grateful to people who posted their experience and thoughts right after the July 24 exam. I was unsatisfied with my PS performance and a little depressed after the exam. But reading posts here comforted me a lot. Imho, they definitely curved PS and verbal sections. Based on my FL practice scores, I was expecting 6-7 on PS and at least 10 on verbal. I always get 9-10 on verbal and I thought I did very well on that section. I guess many people did well on verbal. PS score was a pleasant surprise. Overall the score turns out to be exactly as my FL average. Hope this helps future test-takers.
Can you tell me your aamc break down averages?

FL AAMC Average: 32
Post-test expected score: 32-36
Actual Score: ( PS / V / BS) 29 (12/6/11)

Ugh....Very disappointed with my score since it's a retake for me. I thought I got a 10+ after completing verbal, but somehow ended up with a 6. Re-taking the exam on September 18 since I'm applying MD this cycle. I'm wondering how good my chances are at MD if I get a 33+ on the retake so late into this fall cycle.

FL AAMC Average: 32
Post-test expected score: 32-36
Actual Score: ( PS / V / BS) 29 (12/6/11)

Ugh....Very disappointed with my score since it's a retake for me. I thought I got a 10+ after completing verbal, but somehow ended up with a 6. Re-taking the exam on September 18 since I'm applying MD this cycle. I'm wondering how good my chances are at MD if I get a 33+ on the retake so late into this fall cycle.

same score on verbal...idk what happened. and verbal is so important for schools too. i was scoring 9-11 on practice test verbals. whats your plan for prep for retake?

same score on verbal...idk what happened. and verbal is so important for schools too. i was scoring 9-11 on practice test verbals. whats your plan for prep for retake?

Drill myself in verbal passages. Focus on EVERY single question after each verbal exam, right or wrong. I'm still stunned how I got a 6 even though I was also scoring 9-11 on practice verbal exams.

Also try not to get panic or let one section influence the other. When are you planning to retake?
Retaking on the 18th! I never got below 6 on verbal. English is my second language. I was hoping to get at least 7+ but luck didn't favor me. I will try to keep myself focused this time.

Hi everyone, first time poster here in need of some advice. I took the July 25th MCAT and got a 31. I have a >3.9 GPA, decent extracurriculars, and I am also a URM. I'm torn on whether or not to retake. Any input is appreciated!!!

I read all the EK books which was my main source of information. I used some other stuff for Bio and Physics. I am not happy with the score at all for the July 24th exam. I'm retaking in two weeks to apply this cycle but still feel unprepared.
1) What is the best way to efficiently learn physics before the sept 12 exam date? Like which resource maybe.
2)I wanted to apply to MD/PhDs, anybody know what the average scores an MD/PhD would expect? I've got a lot of research experience but I know scores are a big deal.

I'm seriously on the same boat. :( I knew my organic and physics were lacking so I'm going over those weaker points more thoroughly but besides that I'm pretty much clueless as to how to improve in 2 weeks. Anybody else know how?

I'm seriously on the same boat. :( I knew my organic and physics were lacking so I'm going over those weaker points more thoroughly but besides that I'm pretty much clueless as to how to improve in 2 weeks. Anybody else know how?
You guys are making me nervous lol. I get my scores on the 9th and I REALLY don't wanna have to retake...

Hi everyone, first time poster here in need of some advice. I took the July 25th MCAT and got a 31. I have a >3.9 GPA, decent extracurriculars, and I am also a URM. I'm torn on whether or not to retake. Any input is appreciated!!!
I wouldn't retake if I were you unless you are trying for top 10 schools. Your stats are god enough for mid tier without killing yourself studying again.

I'm not doing anymore content review, i honestly felt like the exam had absolutely nothing to do with all the content i studied, i think i need to refine my strategies and reasoning skills. I was so shocked about the B.S, i really thought i did so well i was shocked to get a 6 on that section. I'm ordering new full length exams from TPR and TBR and im taking one every day until the day of the exam. It s so messed up i work full time and i bet i will just collapse at some point.

I wouldn't retake if I were you unless you are trying for top 10 schools. Your stats are god enough for mid tier without killing yourself studying again.
Depends on your average from your practice tests! I got a 31 on my first try in May but my VR score seemed like a fluke compared to my averages so I took it again on July 24th and got a 35. I was extremely nervous the first time and our power shut down so it also seemed like extenuating circumstances. Oh and my average was a 34 but I ranged anywhere from a 31-36.

Post-test expected score: 28-33
Actual Score: ( PS / V / BS) 30 (11/11/8)

Can't say I'm too mad. I know this gets me into a Med school, especially since I'm applying next cycle. Pissed that I got that 8 in BS when I knew that PS was by far the hardest section and that I could've done better. Gonna retake it in January so I gotta get ready to kill it!

Depends on your average from your practice tests! I got a 31 on my first try in May but my VR score seemed like a fluke compared to my averages so I took it again on July 24th and got a 35. I was extremely nervous the first time and our power shut down so it also seemed like extenuating circumstances. Oh and my average was a 34 but I ranged anywhere from a 31-36.

Exact same situation for me and I would give similar advice for anyone looking to retake. If your actual score is way off from your AAMC practice tests (assuming you took those under realistic test-simulating conditions), I don't think it's a terrible idea to retake, if you have the money and time to study.

Though, like the other replies stated, if you're not aiming for a top school, it might be unnecessary.