Official July 24, 2014 MCAT Thread(because just once wasn't fun enough!)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

southpawcannon

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Begin.

Members don't see this ad.

I am on the same page! but I already applied to some schools and received secondaries...with an MCAT hold! My plan was to work on secondaries after taking the MCAT. I want to retake but if I wait for my score, it will be too late. Don't know what to do with these secondaries or what to tell the schools! I don't want them to think that I'm rushing myself :( Any suggestions?
I just know that I wouldn't be able to perform effectively not knowing how I did on a test and reflecting on what I think might have gone wrong. Unless something in particular went wrong today that affected your performance that you can guarantee that you can prevent (you getting sick, etc.), then there is no point in taking the test again just because you're hoping that this time it won't be as hard. I just don't think the approach to this test should be trying, without systematically changing something, hoping you hit the jackpot with an "easy" test. Because I don't think it will happen. What you could do is attempt to retake and if you feel like it is going the same, then void it and wait for this score, and if you feel better then go through with it? Then the question is whether you have $200 something to spare.

Reactions: 1 user
Seems like a lot of people are on the same train of thought about whether to retake or not. Out of curiosity, is there such a thing as an experimental passage? (I know there are experimental questions...). Wishful thinking perhaps?

That PS was ridiculous. There were 2 passages that really tricked me but fortunately I finished in time. Everything else I thought was harder than usual but PS was by far more challenging

Members don't see this ad :)
BK, what were you scoring on AAMC 10 an 11 for PS?

10 on both. PS isn't my strong section and I usually make up for it in verbal and bio (which I think I did today). But on all the AAMC FL's, I always finished PS on time and at least understood what they were asking. I had no idea what they were trying to ask on 2 of the passages, which got in my head for the rest of the PS section. I had to randomly guess on parts of PS and had to randomly click at the end, which worries me because I'm always able to make educated guesses and finish on time.

I had all my equations down well. They provided the majority of big equations in the passages, but I just couldn't figure out what they were asking and how to apply them. Verbal was actually interesting and bio was straightforward. One thing I noticed during the middle of verbal... clear all your personal political opinions out of your head when reading. Caught myself a couple times thinking different ways about topics in the passages than the author was thinking and had to go back and re-read parts to clear out my opinions and attitudes on the topics.

So would you say that verbal passages were like AAMC 3 and the questions were like AAMC 8-11? OR were the passages more like AAMC 7

So would you say that verbal passages were like AAMC 3 and the questions were like AAMC 8-11? OR were the passages more like AAMC 7

Bruh have you not been reading?....the physics section was harder than LIFE ITSELF (Not close to any test having to do with MCAT, GRE, LSAT, anything), VR was AVERAGE (Like any of the AAMC's), BS was EASY (Like any of the newer AAMC's)

Post-test predictions:
PS- Eh I'll say 8 cuz 1 of the hard passages that I know all of you are talking about had the most questions out of all the passages?!
VR- 10+
BS- 12+

TBH I'm glad I started discretes first on the PS section or else my confidence would've started low

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Well, OUCH.

It seemed as if I stepped on a LANDMINE the minute I started PS... I had to guess on, like, seven or more questions because I didn't have enough time. Hoping VR and BS can compensate a bit...

I had all my equations down well. They provided the majority of big equations in the passages, but I just couldn't figure out what they were asking and how to apply them. Verbal was actually interesting and bio was straightforward. One thing I noticed during the middle of verbal... clear all your personal political opinions out of your head when reading. Caught myself a couple times thinking different ways about topics in the passages than the author was thinking and had to go back and re-read parts to clear out my opinions and attitudes on the topics.

I'm glad someone feels the same way. The PS section helped me to empathize with a deer caught in the headlights.

lol @ some of the comments describning PS. God damn, we need a support group in here.

Reactions: 2 users
Having seen the results over and over I am sure you guys all did a lot better in the PS section than you think. While the test may have changed a bit...the level of intelligence/knowledge required to get a 30+ is still the same.

I bet the majority of you will score +/- 2 from your average.

Now just the longest month of your life...

I honestly felt like ps wasnt bad and I really think that it was because I went into this retake after taking all the gold standard practice tests ... which are known for having tough ps. Definitely prepared me well, atleast I hope so

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I will agree that it did somewhat resemble the GS tests, which I may have dismissed a little too hastily since I think their verbal is the worst ever. but honestly, it was also kinda similar to some Princeton tests, I don't know if anyone has ever done them. they're also pretty tough. those calculations though. I swear like 1/4 - 1/3 of it was calculations. and for at least 1 of them, I had trouble locating the relevant information/numbers.

I just know that I wouldn't be able to perform effectively not knowing how I did on a test and reflecting on what I think might have gone wrong. Unless something in particular went wrong today that affected your performance that you can guarantee that you can prevent (you getting sick, etc.), then there is no point in taking the test again just because you're hoping that this time it won't be as hard. I just don't think the approach to this test should be trying, without systematically changing something, hoping you hit the jackpot with an "easy" test. Because I don't think it will happen. What you could do is attempt to retake and if you feel like it is going the same, then void it and wait for this score, and if you feel better then go through with it? Then the question is whether you have $200 something to spare.
I mean I was really anxious/scared/streesed...because it was my first attempt! And then I saw the PS section, which threw me off. The test was completely different than the practice tests. I think I can do better if I try again with more confidence.
But you are right. I should wait for my score to get a solid understanding. It will help me to prepare better.

Hey guys, congrats on being done! I hope all of you did well. I am taking my test next Saturday... I was wondering if you guys could give me some tips or thoughts that you would tell yourself a week before the test. Like, knowing what you know now, what advice would you give your past self before taking this exam? Memorize more equations/write down all the equations? Don't write down equations? Do discretes first? Do passages first? Read the passages very carefully? Don't read the passages at all and just tackle the questions?

I usually spend like half the time on PS doing the discretes and like 2 passages, and then the other 4-5 passages in the remaning time --which is clearly an awful strategy. I am just slow at PS I guess, I usually have about 10 minutes for the last 2 passages... would I have been screwed on your test doay? Any advice or thoughts you could share to a test taker who will be in your shoes in 7 days would be really helpful. Also, I still have to take AAMC 10,11, 9 and the Orgo, BS, and VR self assessments.. I have access to Kaplan materials also. Thanks for any of your help or insight!! Again, congrats on being done.

For those of you that thought BS was easy....there were a few trick questions on there that gave a couple good answers at first glance....they had answers on there where I thought I 100% got the answer right then I looked back and was "like wait a minute you bastard" lol

Reactions: 3 users
I have to agree with that the PS completely caught me off guard. Two of the passages were so weird. I guessed, I was so so sad because usually my PS is my bread and butter. That PS was nothing like any of the AAMC PS passages. So much more calculation based, some passages were just so foreign. I was so discouraged during the first break about PS. Hopefully the curve will be generous.
Verbal is always up in the air for me, my scores are so sporadic I have no idea how I did but I did finish in time. BS was alright I guess.

Good luck to everyone and let the waiting game begin!

For those of you that thought BS was easy....there were a few trick questions on there that gave a couple good answers at first glance....they had answers on there where I thought I 100% got the answer right then I looked back and was "like wait a minute you bastard" lol

I second this. I don't know why so many people think BS was easy, because there were quite a few tricky discretes, and passage questions throughout the section. It was definitely easier than the PS section though.

This. Every time I thought, "Wait, that was too easy", I stopped and looked into the question more. A couple of sneaky curve balls, but once you caught them, the questions were easy.

@Kenjix I agree completely. With every other AAMC test I took, even if the experiment was complicated, I still at least understood the basic principle behind it. I don't know if it was just my nerves (or the fact that my test crashed during the tutorial and it took an hour to get back up), but I was in awe of the PS. Someone said it earlier, there were some easy ones but the rest was calculation heavy and required a good understanding of the passage.

Posted using SDN Mobile

ill tell you one thing... I feel bad for the people that have to take the new mcat. I had biochem for my trial. damn hard. surprisingly, though, I don't think I missed a single discrete question in it. cant say the same about physical. that's how you KNOW the PS was crazy... when the trial section goes better.

Yupp had this mentality when going into the test (quoting from another user, sorry don't know name):
"You need to be an academic wrecking machine.
You need to intimately violate the MCAT so that it limps away after you're done with it."

But I think it was the other way around today :(. It showed no mercy ( damn to PS! the PS hurt my verbal)

This. Every time I thought, "Wait, that was too easy", I stopped and looked into the question more. A couple of sneaky curve balls, but once you caught them, the questions were easy.

@Kenjix I agree completely. With every other AAMC test I took, even if the experiment was complicated, I still at least understood the basic principle behind it. I don't know if it was just my nerves (or the fact that my test crashed during the tutorial and it took an hour to get back up), but I was in awe of the PS. Someone said it earlier, there were some easy ones but the rest was calculation heavy and required a good understanding of the passage.

Posted using SDN Mobile

the thing is... the calculations aren't even HARD most of the time. they're just cheap shots that eat away at your time. and they hide the important stuff like chemical formulas or volume or mass or whatever (im speaking extremely generally) in the passage among a SEA of useless information NO ONE cares about, where you have to dig them up. like if we had maybe just 10 more minutes, it would have gone a lot smoother. in bio the passages were nice, compact, and even interesting.

*hugs* no homo btw. I feel you bro, I feel you. Retake with me lol.

Retake for the win! No chance in hell I wanna take the new mcat. Just waiting for the site to let me sign up again.

BTW, Verbal seems to be stagnant for me 6-8, Time is the main issue. Any tips guys?
I took the princeton course and finished halfway through ek101, but its stuck at 6-8 range.

What's the last test date for the old MCAT? does anyone know? I can retake my kaplan class for free

Every time I look at this thread, I feel better....I am NOT the only who messed up! hoping for some miracles

Seriously, everyone thinks PS is at least challenging or hard as s***. Does that even make any sense?

I bet whoever made that PS section was like, "hey guys, let's pick the hardest, longest, ugliest chemistry experiments and nasty calculation on physic and throw it on july 24th exam just for fun."

I'm reviewing O-chem tonight, for sure. Need to get ethanol's formula and properties down real well.

I wish everyone a stress free month. Because this could either go really well for me, or really bad.

Posted using SDN Mobile

I'm reviewing O-chem tonight, for sure. Need to get ethanol's formula and properties down real well.

I wish everyone a stress free month. Because this could either go really well for me, or really bad.

Posted using SDN Mobile

Bruh...........................you just took your test relax lol

Seriously, everyone thinks PS is at least challenging or hard as s***. Does that even make any sense?

I bet whoever made that PS section was like, "hey guys, let's pick the hardest, longest, ugliest chemistry experiments and nasty calculation on physic and throw it on july 24th exam just for fun."

Last edited:
Hey guys!

Sorry for the late post. I just got home now. I went out with some friends to get my mind off of that exam. Here are my thoughts:

The PS was the most difficult for me mostly because I'm not very good at calculations under pressure. I felt like past FL I had done were more conceptual. This PS felt calculation heavy and wordy. For example, they chose to explain instead of have a friggin' figure or draw the situation instead of explain it in words. I'm a visual person so this really threw me off track and wasted my time. Yes, the questions were fair, but when the passages are so hard to get through you don't have time to do the calculations! I ran out of time for two passages at least and had to guess. So that fact alone makes me wonder if I'm gonna get a 5...:(

Verbal. Ran out of time for one passage. Thought the passages were long but fair.

Bio. Ran out of time for one passage. It was alright but felt like I was reading Nature or Science the whole time. Last second of the exam clicked on review and right when I noticed I had forgotten to answer one single question my time ran out. Very upset about that. I had a 1/4 chance of getting the right answer...le sigh.

Overall: As always with me, timing timing timing. I ran out of time for pretty much every section...most dangerous and worrisome being PS. I have NO IDEA what to expect. It's gonna be a slow month...

For all of those worrying about verbal scale, 12-15 is usually a point per question, with 11 and 10 being a point per two questions. This is my guess according to AAMC curves (#10 to be specific). That's why I think most people do not get 12+ but they do not get destroyed either.

Hey guys!

Sorry for the late post. I just got home now. I went out with some friends to get my mind off of that exam. Here are my thoughts:

The PS was the most difficult for me mostly because I'm not very good at calculations under pressure. I felt like past FL I had done were more conceptual. This PS felt calculation heavy and wordy. For example, they chose to explain instead of have a friggin' figure or draw the situation instead of explain it in words. I'm a visual person so this really threw me off track and wasted my time. Yes, the questions were fair, but when the passages are so hard to get through you don't have time to do the calculations! I ran out of time for two passages at least and had to guess. So that fact alone makes me wonder if I'm gonna get a 5...:(

Verbal. Ran out of time for one passage. Thought the passages were long but fair.

Bio. Ran out of time for one passage. It was alright but felt like I was reading Nature or Science the whole time. Last second of the exam clicked on review and right when I noticed I had forgotten to answer one single question my time ran out. Very upset about that. I had a 1/4 chance of getting the right answer...le sigh.

Overall: As always with me, timing timing timing. I ran out of time for pretty much every section...most dangerous and worrisome being PS. I have NO IDEA what to expect. It's gonna be a slow month...

How were your PS/VR/BS timings during practice exams? I consistently run out of time in PS and VR and usually barely just make it in BS. Was your real test indicative of the pacing you had during your practice tests?

@HinduHammer Nothing on the AAMC prepared me for the PS section. I am not kidding. The only advice I can give you is don't let PS section ruin you for verbal. That was what happened to me and now I am seriously going to retake because I know I did not perform no where near I could have done.

Thanks for the reply... I always give myself a pep talk during the break after PS...I tell myself there are 30 points left for me to take, that helps. Really getting worried about my test next week... If anyone else has any advice of what to do before the test (review content, passages, memorize equations, timing, etc.) please let me know...thanks!

Thanks for the reply... I always give myself a pep talk during the break after PS...I tell myself there are 30 points left for me to take, that helps. Really getting worried about my test next week... If anyone else has any advice of what to do before the test (review content, passages, memorize equations, timing, etc.) please let me know...thanks!
Def do discretes first if you have trouble with timing. Physical science timing, I would say 5 min early on the AAMC's is about what you want to shoot for. Bio was about avg, I usually finished with 10 min to spare and I finished with 8 min left yesterday. Verbal idk I think I just suck at it.

at least we might get free amazon gift cards???

lol really though I guessed more on PS than on the experimental section

I made a wisecrack to the other examinees while undergoing my TSA-like wand-down along the lines of, "at least we get our Amazon gift cards if this doesn't go well."

I didn't know my words were that prophetic...

And that bit about guessing more on PS than on the trial section... the Gospel Truth! My trial section was definitely more psychology/philosophy/sociology-focused, so it was abstract, but it was easier to get a handle on than PS. Interestingly, it seemed like half of the passages in my trial section were written by some "stick it to the Establishment" folks. Needless to say, I enjoyed reading them.

... goes to show you need to expect the unexpected for the real MCAT. Recovering from a rough section is part of the game. So is receiving types of questions you are not expecting or does not play to your strengths. Responding to a novel situation is one of the attributes AAMC is testing-- and if you think about it-- such acumen can be translated into skills a doctor may need to use.

...this is not to say practice won't prepare one well. But at end of day, AAMC is pretty good at making sure at least some components of the exam catch a student off guard. How will you respond?

Okay, my perspective is from someone who knew they were going to void from the moment they walked through the test door due to insufficient preparation (basically did very very light content review and AAMC3, got a 6 PS, 10 VR, 10 BS).

PS - It was a mix of really challenging tricky questions and some really simple ones. There were 1 or 2 WTF passages and the rest seemed fairly normal. For physics, besides the velocity/acceleration equations, I didn't know ANY equations off the top of my head, so it made it soooo much harder. I answered maybe half the questions and randomly guessed on a bunch. Next time, I'll make sure to know equations in my sleep.

VR - Honestly, besides one tough humanities passage which was convoluted and confusing, I thought the rest were fairly easy or they were interesting enough to keep me entertained. The arguments were very clear. I marked maybe 4 or 5 questions where I wasn't 100% sure of the answer.

BS - The organic chemistry was horrid (but I also didn't study orgo, so I was just really confused). I'm a biology major and thought most of the questions were pretty fair and doable. I can start to see what people mean by the BS section being more experimental and verbal based. I kind of enjoyed it though. Most of the experiments were pretty cool IMO :). Content review is definitely necessary though, because there were a few random discretes or discretes disguised as questions based on the passage that threw me off.

Hey guys! I wrote the MCAT yesterday too. I only did AAMC 9, 10 and 11 for practice.

AAMC 9 - 12/9/12
AAMC 10 - 13/9/12
AAMC 11 - 13/10/12

Clearly, PS was my best section, but I, too, thought that PS was very challenging. 2 passages were extremely "WTF?" type, and for AAMC 10 and 11, I finished them both with ~7 mins left. I was in a rush the whole time, and barely finished (pretty calculation heavy too).

So while I was doing that section, I felt horrible, but when I clicked "Review All" (in the last 1-2 mins), I felt more confident about my answers. In retrospect, the questions themselves weren't that bad. However, there were some calculations I just couldn't do and had to guess on... (b/c I felt that they didn't give us enough information to calculate it). Did anyone else feel that for 1 calculation question?

Anyways, I'm hoping for a 11.

P.S. The hardest passage in Bio was the organic chemistry one. Wouldn't have expected that at all. I'm very strong in Organic Chem and was praying that half of Bio would be that... but that was a challenging O-Chem passage compared to practice ones.