**Official: July 25, 2013 MCAT**

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BeachBlondie

Put some tussin on it!
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Guess we should go ahead and start this up!

T-minus: 110 days...

Happy studying, my fellow hopeless souls.

Members don't see this ad.

This and I've regressed back to my high school days and I've been waking up at noon every day since I no longer have any job or MCAT responsibilities

Judge me

I'm jealous. I want to wake up at noon everyday too, but ugh, my body has become so used to waking up early for work that now I naturally wake up before 9 on my days off. Feels bad, man

Haha I guess I'm lucky because I can sleep through anything... I slept like a baby the night before the test and I probably could have slept through it if I didn't set 3 different alarms :D

Members don't see this ad :)
I got like a 2150 with a month of studying but I don't think the two necessarily correlate

But I saw some thread saying people often get + or - 2 from their ACT score so I guess I'd be happy if that was accurate haha

I was asking cause I met an admissions representative from jeff and she explained how getting a 30 for example was comparable to above a 2100. I wasnt sure how that correlates either but I figure Id ask out of curiosity.

just thinkin about gettin our scores back makes me feel like im about to throw up, i bombed and idk why, hopefully i got lucky, i need at least a 31, otherwise ima retake

just thinkin about gettin our scores back makes me feel like im about to throw up, i bombed and idk why, hopefully i got lucky, i need at least a 31, otherwise ima retake

same haha everything keeps reminding me of the MCAT... I hear police sirens passing and my first thought is the ****ing Doppler Effect equation :thumbdown:

same haha everything keeps reminding me of the MCAT... I hear police sirens passing and my first thought is the ****ing Doppler Effect equation :thumbdown:

I first read that as "Doppler Effect question" and I got worried for a moment because I don't remember there being one on this exam. Apparently waiting for these scores have made me insane.

in the event that i do bad on this exam, u guys think its a good idea to give it again sept 11? or shud i wait til janurary? i really wanted to get this damn exam over with this summer but i highly doubt that its gonna work out, ive been still reviewing here and there, but cant focus too much cus every time i open an mcat book i worry about this exam that we took ..lol, suggestions? i really have to get at least a 31

in the event that i do bad on this exam, u guys think its a good idea to give it again sept 11? or shud i wait til janurary? i really wanted to get this damn exam over with this summer but i highly doubt that its gonna work out, ive been still reviewing here and there, but cant focus too much cus every time i open an mcat book i worry about this exam that we took ..lol, suggestions? i really have to get at least a 31

Wait.

damn i knew that was the smarter choice, just needed someone to tell me -___- guess im styding during fall semester..

Agreed about waiting. No point in cram studying for 3-4 weeks after putting the material away for a while
damn i knew that was the smarter choice, just needed someone to tell me -___- guess im styding during fall semester..
Don't say that! you might be pleasantly surprised :) You probably just remember every question you were unsure about and you're forgetting about all of the ones you felt good about.

Members don't see this ad :)
Agreed about waiting. No point in cram studying for 3-4 weeks after putting the material away for a while

Don't say that! you might be pleasantly surprised :) You probably just remember every question you were unsure about and you're forgetting about all of the ones you felt good about.
praying to god youre right lol

I first read that as "Doppler Effect question" and I got worried for a moment because I don't remember there being one on this exam. Apparently waiting for these scores have made me insane.

If you need a good therapist, I can get you my card. :p

One more week and we'll all know...I don't think the waiting got bad until just now. It's always that dang final stretch.

I'm also waiting for verification and this score. I submitted on August 1st, but at the rate they're going, I should have done it much earlier. My letters and transcripts are in though. I'm hoping to be complete with secondaries to all schools by mid-late September.
How's your end looking?

I'm also waiting for verification and this score. I submitted on August 1st, but at the rate they're going, I should have done it much earlier. My letters and transcripts are in though. I'm hoping to be complete with secondaries to all schools by mid-late September.
How's your end looking?

I'm looking at the same turnaround time as well. I also have my LOR in tow and would like to pre write secondaries, at least for the schools that don't screen. Haven't applied to all the schools I want to yet, hoping for a decent score to do so.

Really wish I had applied earlier too, but making sure I was prepared for the MCAT took precedence, better to have a strong application than an early one imo.

Anyone here waiting for both verification and their MCAT? Or us it just me.

:thumbup: submitted july 20th. i was freaking out the week before this mcat haha. GOTTA WRITE PS. NO GOTTA STUDY.

horribleeeee, think i gained 5 pounds cause of stress. yea prewriting secondaries or else i'm not gonna be complete til like october. @__@

Really? Haha I accidentally lost 10 pounds this summer because I can't bring myself to consume anything besides Nutella and coffee :(

I'm just curious, do y'all get email notified that you've been verified either for AACOMAS or AMCAS primary app?

Really? Haha I accidentally lost 10 pounds this summer because I can't bring myself to consume anything besides Nutella and coffee :(

I'm just curious, do y'all get email notified that you've been verified either for AACOMAS or AMCAS primary app?

Yes, you will be sent an email saying your app was processed

Note: I only know this about AMCAS. I'm not sure about AACOMAS

So, when are we supposed to get our scores back for the trial section? The same time for the actual test? I wants my Amazon gift card.

So, when are we supposed to get our scores back for the trial section? The same time for the actual test? I wants my Amazon gift card.

The gift card should come soon. Trial section percentile a couple days before actual score released.

I am interested to see how I did...I went to grad school for psych and answered all of the passage questions as discretes, so I'm way curious how that worked out.

"seven days"

- The Ring (2002)

tumblr_lsv9yadXbV1qg39ewo1_500.gif

Seems like the appropriate response :laugh:

I took it on the 26th, but since that thread is pretty much dead, I'll slum it out with y'all over the next week.

I've been trying to keep myself from going crazy thinking about scores by shadowing docs and watching Netflix when I'm not at lab. We only have to last one more week, and then I can finally sell (or reopen) my MCAT books!

Also, I want my damn Amazon Gift Card already. I've also been staving off MCAT thoughts by satisfying my online shopping addiction, and $30 to Amazon could definitely help me clear out my Amazon cart.

I am also having a nervous breakdown waiting for my scores here. In fact, I've had a nervous breakdown right after the test. I took it on July 25th and I think the Verbal Reasoning section was damn hard and it makes me so upset.

About the July 25th VR:
- I think the passages were definitely longer. I practiced many AAMC released verbal passages and I can definitely tell these passages are longer. Thank you so much MCAT writers.
- The questions were so stupid. Flat out stupid. so much guessing and implied information. Gosh I hate MCAT verbal.
- The last passage was written in language from Mars. I guess AAMC expects that doctors shouldn't be normal people but need to be some kind of zombie that will be able to decode what the f**k that passage was saying.

I am not looking for much on August 27th. Probably shoot myself for screwing up the VR, for the second time.

So anyone depressed about your performance, you're not alone.

I am also having a nervous breakdown waiting for my scores here. In fact, I've had a nervous breakdown right after the test. I took it on July 25th and I think the Verbal Reasoning section was damn hard and it makes me so upset.

About the July 25th VR:
- I think the passages were definitely longer. I practiced many AAMC released verbal passages and I can definitely tell these passages are longer. Thank you so much MCAT writers.
- The questions were so stupid. Flat out stupid. so much guessing and implied information. Gosh I hate MCAT verbal.
- The last passage was written in language from Mars. I guess AAMC expects that doctors shouldn't be normal people but need to be some kind of zombie that will be able to decode what the f**k that passage was saying.

I am not looking for much on August 27th. Probably shoot myself for screwing up the VR, for the second time.

So anyone depressed about your performance, you're not alone.

I see your affection has grown with time.

To Kraken

Thank you for the comment. It actually makes me laugh and cheer up a little bit. Yeah for the past 3 weeks I've been trying to forget about that dumb test and do other things to occupy myself. But as the score release date draws nearer, all the emotion comes back.

But for once let's admit, us July 25th test takers got a monster verbal section.

In retrospect maybe it was...there were definitely a couple challenging passages and the last one was a doozie.

But for some reason I didn't feel that bad coming out of that section because, as I said previously, the questions were fair even though passages themselves were difficult. Ultimately, it felt a lot like practice exams.

Then again, this is just my opinion, I averaged 10's on practices and have a really bad gauge of whether or not I did well on verbal. So yea, take my thoughts with a grain of salt.

I'm having reoccurring dreams of a 31, not sure if this is a good or bad thing. Average was 33 at the end...

I agree. Verbal was absolutely ridiculous. Lets hope the curve is generous. I also agree with everyone that last passage was written in another language.

haaha that last passage was ridiculous, i was like has this actually been published somewhere where people actually read this?

getting nervous over here.... people who i haven't seen in a while keep on asking me how i did and i'm like I FIND OUT NEXT WEEK AHHHHHHHH haha

That last VR passage could have been in ****ing Arabic for all I know... honestly some of these passages could be used as sleep medication

I agree that the last passage was ridiculous, but I'm still more nervous about my PS performance. That section has been giving me pain forever. I just hope for at least a 9

Tuesday is going to be a huge pain in the ass. I think I'll be in class around when scores are released so I'm either going to start hollering or crying in the middle of the lecture hall.

I'll chime in on the VR discussion. I, like most of the people on this thread, feel like VR was the most difficult section on our test. I did ok on VR on most of the aamc practice tests (usually got 9's, got an 8 once, and got a 10 twice). I didn't feel necessarily destroyed back on 7/25, but I was indeed sweating it out towards the end. I truly believe that the scale will be in our favor for this section come Tuesday.

Dr Moose

I really hope you are right about the curve on the VR. One thing though, according to MCAT scoring guide on their website, the exam is not curved, meaning it is not a representation of how you do compared to other people who take the same test. In fact, the test is "equated or scaled", what the heck does that mean?

Any of you on SDN know how equated/scaled work? I couldn't understand how you can equate the difficulty of one set of questions with another set without comparing students' performance.

Good luck to all of us who unfortunately got a monster verbal section like the one on July 25th.

This is the general consensus of what SDN will tell you about how the MCAT is scored.

Passages and questions are used on previous administrations of the exam as "experimental" questions. Once these questions have been thoroughly tested such that the statistics are reliable, these questions are then used as actual questions on subsequent administrations of the test.

What does this mean for us? If the general consensus among the test-takers here believe that the VR was exceptionally difficult, this could very well be true. If this is true, then the scale on our VR section may be very lenient. In other words, people who create the exam tried to make this VR section slightly more difficult but with a favorable scale, such that the score we eventually receive will correspond well with other administrations of the exam.

Now here is just some straight conjecture about how I think the MCAT is scored...but it's just an opinion and it has some flaws.

Most people say that your answers to the experimental questions are completely thrown out, which I am less inclined to believe. My theory is that there are some passages and questions which have been tested over and over again, and have very reliable statistics. Then there are passages that have been tested less often and even questions that are completely new. I think the AAMC probably weighs the questions which have been thoroughly tested more heavily than the "newer" questions. And I think there are a lot more of these "tested" questions than there are "newer" questions. So for example, of the seven passages in a VR section, maybe 4 have been thoroughly tested with reliable stats, 2 less-tested but with consistent stats, and 1 that may be completely new or tested maybe once or twice. The 4 passages would be weighted heavier than the 2 less-tested passages and so forth.

So I think completely new questions do get scored, but have very little weight relative to other questions. For one, they make us take time to answer these questions, and its possible that students take a lot of time on these specific questions. And also, the MCAT made these questions with a right answer, like they did with all of their other questions. However, if a question has an obvious flaw, then in this case the MCAT might just throw it out.

Also, this theory would also make sense considering that we have to spend one month to get these results :mad:.....

The exam is all a blur at this point, the only things I remember:

PS - won't be my best of a 14, in the heat of the test i thought many questions didn't have the right answer jump out at me, as was the case with many practice exams being calculation based and physics heavy. I feel like it was much more conceptual and chem based, and I know for a fact that 2 physics discretes were answered incorrectly. I'm thinking anywhere from an 11-13

VR - I remember feeling great about each passage and hitting my target of 8 min/passage for the first 5. I imagine I was getting no more than 1 question wrong per passage from 1-5. Passage 6 began to confuse me a little with all the comparisons. I imagine I got several wrong there, and this is where time began to slip away from me (of course, right when I was about to need it most) Passage 7, I agree completely was in another language. Up until then I feel like I had 7-8 questions incorrect. Depending on whether I miraculously got all the passage 7 questions right, or wrong, that would put me at about an 11-9. I'm guessing it will fall in the middle with a 10

BS - I think this was my best bio section yet, I focused on bio the most for this retake and it definitely will show. As a physics major I only had two bio courses in undergrad and that hurt me. My best bio scores were only 10's (yet my worst was only a 9). I believe my score in BS this time around will be atleast an 11, potentially a 12.

From all that I feel confident my score will be much improved from the 9/10/9 I had last June. I'm anticipating a 12/10/11 or so and a general range of 31-35.

My gpa was only a 3.5 so I'm hoping for that 35