Official june/20/2013

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

UoCfin

Love that white coat
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
HEY, TO FOLLOW THE OTHERS: I AM CREATING THE OFFICIAL JUNE/20/2013 MCAT TEST DAY THREAD.

First off: this is my birthday...so whooooooo...
Second,,,am choosing this late test date so that i can creat a gap between my class finals and my test date: taking three classes spring 2013.
Third:::need as much time as possible for this beast...

So, SNDers...please comment...tell us ur plans...study attitude...

Members don't see this ad.

I'm joining in, took the 1/24/2013. I think I did horrible, I guess on so many questions on PS and BS.

Goal of the Day
Luminosity-Done
1 VR Passages-Done 5/7.
I am going to start reading content over again on Monday.

I plan to read 3 chaps of PR a week and do one FL every week. Starting to do AAMC R 3-10 first then PR FLs and AAMC 11 for last.

After I am done with content I plan to do the all the PR sci. wrbk passages over again along with the weekly FLs.

Also I am using PR verbal passages I do one a day.... I think this is okay since on 1/24 MCAT I did not think VR was too bad, there were only one passage that I find impossible and another one I felt was hard to read but the questions were not bad. I think I got a 28/40 on VR but I dont know until 2/26.

I decided for right now I am going to read one physiology chap. a week from BR and do the the corresponding passages. So this alone will take 5 weeks, so I will have my real mcat scores and know if I have to retake. and learning physiology will only be beneficial anyhow.

Hey guys......long time lurker, first time poster. I intend to take the MCAT in July but I wanna join this thread since there are no July threads yet.

I am using the SNed schedule, substituting the EK 1001 for Kaplan Topicals and TPRH Science Workbook. I've also modified it due to other obligations. I've completed chapter 1s.

Let's make this thread lively and support each other.

How as you guys planning to lay action on this BEAST?

Members don't see this ad :)
I will be more activate March 3 if I need to do so.

After taking Jan 24 MCAT I am just to tired to study now, I will keep doing Luminosity and I may read a book.

I may join this thread if my MCAT scores aren't to my liking.

Plan: study TBR with TPR (already used EK). I've heard nothing but good stuff about TBR. Hopefully I won't have to, but like maybemed, best to prepare

I will be more activate March 3 if I need to do so.

After taking Jan 24 MCAT I am just to tired to study now, I will keep doing Luminosity and I may read a book.

I've read your posts and you have provided some useful insights about the exam. Let's hope you don't have to retake; trust me it sucks, but if you do, join us as we try to slay this beast.

I may join this thread if my MCAT scores aren't to my liking.

Plan: study TBR with TPR (already used EK). I've heard nothing but good stuff about TBR. Hopefully I won't have to, but like maybemed, best to prepare

Plans are similar to yours but I've added Kaplan Topicals. I like them. Also, as much as I hate to admit this, I'll be resorting to TBR Bio because EK content doesn't correlate well with BR passages. Not good for morale :laugh:

I've read your posts and you have provided some useful insights about the exam. Let's hope you don't have to retake; trust me it sucks, but if you do, join us as we try to slay this beast.

Plans are similar to yours but I've added Kaplan Topicals. I like them. Also, as much as I hate to admit this, I'll be resorting to TBR Bio because EK content doesn't correlate well with BR passages. Not good for morale :laugh:

What insights have I provided? I hope none I know that against the law.

Good luck to you all. It's a long road for sure, especially in the final month or so leading up to the exam, but it's doable! Definitely do plenty of content review first and then spend a lot of your final prep doing full length practice tests.

I took mine on Jan 26th and feel really good about it, but you really never know until you get it back. I will hopefully have more advice for you guys in late February once I find out how I did!

I am about to do my first 1/3 of TBR Bio chapter 1. Sure it's gonna be a beast. Let's see what everyone is talking about.

Count me in! Like AktionPOTENTIAL I am a long time lurker first time poster. I have decided on June 20 for the big day. I am going to be sticking to SN2ed plan as much as possible. Things haven't gotten started as quickly as I would like, had high hopes of getting things rollin a few weeks ago but I felt like my base was pretty weak & I didn't want to burn my first 1/3 Practice Questions yet. Also, I ran into a brick wall in the form of Organic Chemistry 2. Right now I am taking 8 hours of Orgo 2 & Physics 2, hoping to get them on track this weekend & start digging in to the TBR books heavy in February. Hoping to get & give some good support & motivation on here. Looks like we are about 140 days out, Giddy up everyone, we got this!

Hey guys, first time poster like some of the above but I will be starting the 4 month Sn2ed schedule Monday. To give myself a decent base, I ran through a set of old Kaplan books (which, despite being the only study books I have gone through, I didn't think were good) and for the past few days I have only been watching khanacademy videos on topics that are harder for me. Just a random interesting aside- I'm really big into nutrition and exercising and I have been doing intermittent fasting for the past 2 months or so. I'm a big fan of Martin Berkhan and his leangains protocol. It's a lot to explain so it's easier to just look it up, but my plan is to take the mcat early in the morning and eat my first meal around 1-2PM (once I'm done), and have a cup of coffee in between each section (gasp!). During the fast, I have noticed that I can concentrate much easier and have no problem reading straight for a few hours. I know this is long, but I am a huge opponent to the multi-billion dollar breakfast-created industry and believe that lobbyists and many scientists have misinterpreted breakfast and supplement research results due to conflicts of interest. Anyway, that's my .02

Count me in! Like AktionPOTENTIAL I am a long time lurker first time poster. I have decided on June 20 for the big day. I am going to be sticking to SN2ed plan as much as possible. Things haven't gotten started as quickly as I would like, had high hopes of getting things rollin a few weeks ago but I felt like my base was pretty weak & I didn't want to burn my first 1/3 Practice Questions yet. Also, I ran into a brick wall in the form of Organic Chemistry 2. Right now I am taking 8 hours of Orgo 2 & Physics 2, hoping to get them on track this weekend & start digging in to the TBR books heavy in February. Hoping to get & give some good support & motivation on here. Looks like we are about 140 days out, Giddy up everyone, we got this!

So it's February, did you start?

Hey guys, first time poster like some of the above but I will be starting the 4 month Sn2ed schedule Monday. To give myself a decent base, I ran through a set of old Kaplan books (which, despite being the only study books I have gone through, I didn't think were good) and for the past few days I have only been watching khanacademy videos on topics that are harder for me. Just a random interesting aside- I'm really big into nutrition and exercising and I have been doing intermittent fasting for the past 2 months or so. I'm a big fan of Martin Berkhan and his leangains protocol. It's a lot to explain so it's easier to just look it up, but my plan is to take the mcat early in the morning and eat my first meal around 1-2PM (once I'm done), and have a cup of coffee in between each section (gasp!). During the fast, I have noticed that I can concentrate much easier and have no problem reading straight for a few hours. I know this is long, but I am a huge opponent to the multi-billion dollar breakfast-created industry and believe that lobbyists and many scientists have misinterpreted breakfast and supplement research results due to conflicts of interest. Anyway, that's my .02

Using Kaplan for content is like using a basket to carry water. I'm glad you have found a concentration strategy that works for you.

I've completed all chapter 1s but I'm still doing practice since I'm supplementing TBR practice with Kaplan Topicals and TPRH. The practice and heavy post-game analysis takes mad long but it's like a gold mine.

Members don't see this ad :)
So it's February, did you start?

Oh yes! My main focus is on my first Organic Test on Tuesday, but I did read some EK Bio & start my Verbal routine yesterday. I scored perfect on the first 3 verbal practice passages I took, 7/7, 5/5 & 5/5...Timing was off at a little under 8 min a passage, but I was still pretty stoked, a little victory like that definitely helps motivate me to study. I have previously taken 3 simulated verbal FL & they all came in projected at an 8. I have read all SN2ed recco Chapter 1 & taken all Phase 1 questions but BIO (did pretty awful on most of them), but I haven't got into post-game review yet. ****Since my content is so weak right now, here is how I plan to break down my questions into 1/3's based on the TBR versions I have: Physics: First 1/3 - 25 review questions & split practice exam in half for next 2/3; Organic: First 1/3 - 25 review questions & split practice exam & phase III review in half; Organic General Chemistry has 100 questions with 3 phase split, I am doing Phase I for first 1/3 & splitting remaining two phases in half. BIO tbd. Once I get my Organic class in check I am going to start hitting it hard next week

Last edited:
The studying is good..I love the BR books and think they are way ahead of Kaplan for preparation in their passages. The funny thing is I am consistently scoring the best in verbal, only getting 1 or 2 wrong at most between 6-7:30 min a passage between BR verbal and EK 101, but the BR bio passages are killing me (luckily I am a fast reader but I thought I was best at bio and would be worst at verbal). I wasn't prepared for all of the info relevant to amino acids, and thought that the passages didn't coincide well with EK bio at all. I am going to stick with it and see how it goes, but I am considering getting TPR for bio or just using a mix of the BR bio (I like detail) and EK for content review. I am on day 6 and have to review the previous chapters, but I think I will be going over an old biochem book as well to dig deep and uncover what biochem info I have left from a few years ago haha. Fortunately, I am easy going and don't really care how many questions I get right. It's definitely more about the process and technique of recognizing and answering questions, but you gotta be able to just shrug off and move on when you get it wrong otherwise I can see all this studying becoming demoralizing for the majority of people.

The studying is good..I love the BR books and think they are way ahead of Kaplan for preparation in their passages. The funny thing is I am consistently scoring the best in verbal, only getting 1 or 2 wrong at most between 6-7:30 min a passage between BR verbal and EK 101, but the BR bio passages are killing me (luckily I am a fast reader but I thought I was best at bio and would be worst at verbal). I wasn't prepared for all of the info relevant to amino acids, and thought that the passages didn't coincide well with EK bio at all. I am going to stick with it and see how it goes, but I am considering getting TPR for bio or just using a mix of the BR bio (I like detail) and EK for content review. I am on day 6 and have to review the previous chapters, but I think I will be going over an old biochem book as well to dig deep and uncover what biochem info I have left from a few years ago haha. Fortunately, I am easy going and don't really care how many questions I get right. It's definitely more about the process and technique of recognizing and answering questions, but you gotta be able to just shrug off and move on when you get it wrong otherwise I can see all this studying becoming demoralizing for the majority of people.

True story! I am currently completing O.Chem chapter two and then I'll be done with chapter twos. I feel so accomplished each time I complete a chapter. This is truly a marathon. I switched from EK Bio to TBR because the nature of the EK content didn't match the rigor of TBR passages. It's going well so far and like you, I like detail.

I hope everyone is doing well, especially those with a job, school, a family or other important obligations.

Come on guys we have to make his thread more vibrant. How's everyone doing. Maybe we should start posting tips of the day or interesting quick facts we find in our current reading, or making passages and questions. Something, anything.

Hey are any of you applying to Medical School this year and taking this June 20th mcat test date. My school will not write and submit my Comittee letter until they recieve my mcat grade which would be Very end of July, so everything would probably be in late August early September. Is that too late or are any of you in the same situation?

Hey are any of you applying to Medical School this year and taking this June 20th mcat test date. My school will not write and submit my Comittee letter until they recieve my mcat grade which would be Very end of July, so everything would probably be in late August early September. Is that too late or are any of you in the same situation?

I am applying this year and potentially taking the Jun 20 test date but I don't have the same issue with the LOR...I am contemplating delaying to the July 2 test date and was also wondering how late is too late...any searches I do on the subject seem to agree the earlier you apply the better but there isn't a real consensus on when is 'too late'

Amen on the TBR Bio being a killer.... I just finished the first 1/3 recco for EK lecture 1 and felt like I was guessing on A LOT of the questions....I am going through my review right now and it is taking me forever.... I am completely new to the mcat so I am hopefull practice will yield some quick improvement..... I destroyed my first Organic 2 and Physics 2 tests but my mcat study hours suffered....my wife and daughter are out of town this weekend so I am going to go heavy through Monday to try and right the ship...my new goal is 3 chapters a week which will put me wrapping up content at end of Spring semester and having about 7 weeks uninterrupted to get ready for the test....Good luck everyone!

Alright,,,checking in:
Its mid Feb. around the corner. March is the definite point setter for those of us with with an SN2ed study plan in mind.
EK was a good start to get in the mood. Now I am going thru TPR and i enjoy their verbal books as well. TBR is on the shelf waiting for the SN2ed plug. EK101 is also on hold for the days draw down to game day.
Planning on a diag of some sorts before SN2ed schedule; just to gauge where i am so far.

In it to win it,,,UoCfin.

I am applying this year and potentially taking the Jun 20 test date but I don't have the same issue with the LOR...I am contemplating delaying to the July 2 test date and was also wondering how late is too late...any searches I do on the subject seem to agree the earlier you apply the better but there isn't a real consensus on when is 'too late'

From what I've read if you have everything in except the mcat that would be right in on time, but I'd defenitley complete primary in June so when you get grades you can just send them out with a verified application! and thats even early if you're comparing to people like me. I honestly don't know what to do its just the letter....

I'm in for June. I'm in my second week of doing the 3-month study plan except extended out to fit around my work schedule. The fun begins! :)

I'm registered for this exam, as well! Took the AAMC 3 practice test today to gauge my performance before studying.

You may be better served using an intro to cell/molecular bio textbook or something that has a basic overview of respiration, metabolism, etc. The biochem textbooks would probably be too detailed.

Registered for 6/20 as well. I am retaking with a 29Q which I got last summer doing the SN2ED course. This time I am going to give Kaplan a shot. The only reason I am retaking is to have a better shot at my home school. Good luck everyone!!

Hey All,

I registered for 6/20 as well. Studying is going well so far. I am currently taking a Kaplan review course. I am going to finish reviewing content in about 3 weeks while using Kaplan's practice materials with special emphasis on the Topical Tests, Section tests, and FLs. Depending on my strengths and weaknesses I'll start doing AAMC FL in mid-late April while tightening up the loose ends on my weaknesses. I'll keep you all posted. LET'S DO WORK!

:)

Welcome all! Please let's support each other and make this thread lively. Post unique themes you come across, ask questions, share mnemonics and tricks and let's have Q&A sessions.

Curt656 I hope you can add a few points to that 29; I am seeking to add a lot of points to my last score.

Good luck everyone!

Greetings compatriots, I have joined your ranks.

Taking a few post-bac courses right now so with my limited time and long commutes I'm going to listen to listen to Audio Osmosis and follow-up with BR.

120 Days To Go -- Good Luck Everyone!

In for 6/20! Currently taking Physics II/Ochem I both with labs and working/research part time. Going to do the SN2ED 4 month plan. Best of luck to everyone!!

Hi everyone!

I just registered for the test:eek:

I plan on doing the SN2ED Method while finishing Physics II.

Does anyone have a calender for the 4 month SN2ED for this date already made?

Greetings compatriots, I have joined your ranks.

Taking a few post-bac courses right now so with my limited time and long commutes I'm going to listen to listen to Audio Osmosis and follow-up with BR.

120 Days To Go -- Good Luck Everyone!

:scared: