Official june/20/2013

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

UoCfin

Love that white coat
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
HEY, TO FOLLOW THE OTHERS: I AM CREATING THE OFFICIAL JUNE/20/2013 MCAT TEST DAY THREAD.

First off: this is my birthday...so whooooooo...
Second,,,am choosing this late test date so that i can creat a gap between my class finals and my test date: taking three classes spring 2013.
Third:::need as much time as possible for this beast...

So, SNDers...please comment...tell us ur plans...study attitude...

Members don't see this ad.

If you remember your content, I would probably just retake on 7 or 11. I think if you practice enough verbal you can improve by a few points. I brought mine from a 7->10 just by doing the EK101 and switching up my strategy.

I'm like 70% leaning towards retake but I'm trying to craft a plan of action for verbal studying & stratgey. I used to use TPR strategy and that didn't work well...too much time lost. I'm starting to see if a different strategy would help me...like similar to EK.

Congrats! What did you do to improve this much in Verbal? I'm struggling with verbal...

I'm very dyslexic my paper work was too far out of date to ask for accommodations and I didn't think it'd be an issue until the first test. Well the kaplan strategy did not work for me when I got to the longer passages in the actual test the first time.

So this time I gave myself 6-7min per passage and got a real feel for it. This left me with 15-30 seconds per question. I never went back to the passage and just went with my gut.

Don't know if it would work for other people but I know it worked for me! Good luck! :)

Score Total: 31
AAMC FL Average: PS 11 VR 11 BS 9
Actual Test: PS 10 VR 11 BS 10

Really happy. This is worth repeating: post-test feelings mean NOTHING. I thought physics was a straight up 7. The first two passages I never completely understood, and that's not counting potential mistakes in other passages. As for verbal, I've gotten 11 on pretty much every practice test I've ever taken lol, so I wasn't surprised. And Bio was completely expected and not that bad. I probably missed a few and the curve/scale was probably rough because I thought it was easy.

TRUST. YOUR. AAMC. AVERAGES.

Good job! I have the exact same distribution as you and pretty much the exact same feelings post-test... except I had a 29 avg. haha. Glad it worked out for both of us!

Members don't see this ad :)
AAMC average: 31.6

Actual: 26

Idk what happened, but I feel like killing myself.

Don't! You can get to that average, no doubt. I felt bummed out yesterday. Feeling better today but still have some work ahead of me. Either apply with that score to DO, retake this August or september, or retake and apply next cycle.

AAMC average: 37/38
ACtual: 31

i have a 3.5. beyond debelief right now.

Im in the same boat. 31, ps 12, vr 8, bs 11. Idk if my vr is good enough. I was in 8 AM as well.

Don't! You can get to that average, no doubt. I felt bummed out yesterday. Feeling better today but still have some work ahead of me. Either apply with that score to DO, retake this August or september, or retake and apply next cycle.

Isn't September too late for this cycle?

For those that didn't get their scores, is it even worth retaking at the end of August? I haven't been studying because I thought I did well enough and obviously didn't. I don't know if it's smarter to study and take a class for the January mcat or just try to study as much as I can the next month and test the 28th of August. Kind of nerve wracking because apps are due on the 15th of October and getting everything in that first week of October will not work in anyone's favor... Thank you for the advice.

You shouldn't feel that way. It's time to evaluate and improve your weaknesses. If you're honest with yourself you'll be able to find them. I'm sure there is something you could have done better (more practice passages etc). I got a 27 my first go around and know how annoying it is to revamp. Just do what you have to do simply because you have to do it. It's easier that way... when there's no other option.

Aww I'm so sorry. It sucks but it will get better. I got a 22 the first time I took it and ended up with a 30 this last time! That score is not the end-all-be-all.

So I've been a long time lurker here. I kind of want to discuss my score a bit. Last year when I wrote the mcat I ended up scoring a 28 (9 10 9). This time around I wanted to score around a 32. My AAMC practice average was around 31. I ended up getting horribly sick the day before (fever chills, mind numbing sinus pain). Now I expected my score to be not up to my usual standards, but I did not expect to score of 23 ( 8 6 9). I'm feeling hysterical and deflated. :( I already booked a retake for August 22nd. Anyone have any tips? There was no point in voiding since the schools I'm looking at do not care about multiple attempts

That sucks considering you were physically ill right before the test, luck was definitely not on your side. Are you applying in Canada and by any chance, did you write your exam in Winnipeg? I'm asking because there was a girl who wrote the exam in the same building as I did had a similar situation than you.

As for tips, keep practicing with the AAMC exams. Being physically ill will impair your ability to focus, which probably contributed to your score. Take care of yourself and practice. Judging from your first score, you are capable of scoring at least a 30.
Good luck!

Show of hands of people who are insanely relieved to be done with this god awful test.

:thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)

I sent out an email to roughly 15 friends and family who really wanted to know how I did on my exam, they responded by conspiring to throw a party for me tomorrow night. Life is good right now.

MCAT, you gave me 2 months of misery one before the test, one after, to hell with you, sir.

people can get more nervous and make more mistakes on the real deal.. if your aamc avg is above 30 i think that it's definitely possible for you to make your avg. on the actual mcat. don't give up.

people can get more nervous and make more mistakes on the real deal.. if your aamc avg is above 30 i think that it's definitely possible for you to make your avg. on the actual mcat. don't give up.:luck:

31(12 PS, 8 VR, 11 BS), 4.0 GPA, Research, Shadowing, Volunteering, Organization's board memeber, strong Personal Statement and Letters. I picked 14 schools to apply to. Any comments on how my chances are?

Oh abut that 8 on the verbal, English is not my first language so always been horrible at VR on MCAT :/

31(12 PS, 8 VR, 11 BS), 4.0 GPA, Research, Shadowing, Volunteering, Organization's board memeber, strong Personal Statement and Letters. I picked 14 schools to apply to. Any comments on how my chances are?

Oh abut that 8 on the verbal, English is not my first language so always been horrible at VR on MCAT :/

Start a WAMC thread. Give more specifics. http://forums.studentdoctor.net/forumdisplay.php?f=418

You shouldn't feel that way. It's time to evaluate and improve your weaknesses. If you're honest with yourself you'll be able to find them. I'm sure there is something you could have done better (more practice passages etc). I got a 27 my first go around and know how annoying it is to revamp. Just do what you have to do simply because you have to do it. It's easier that way... when there's no other option.

people can get more nervous and make more mistakes on the real deal.. if your aamc avg is above 30 i think that it's definitely possible for you to make your avg. on the actual mcat. don't give up.:luck:

Thanks for the support. I actually got a 27 after checking again. Still far from my ~31 practice average.

2PM exam:

BS: 11 PS: 11 VR: 05

I already submitted my app in June.

Retaking in September...

Thanks for the support. I actually got a 27 after checking again. Still far from my ~31 practice average.

2PM exam:

Retaking in September...

Good luck! At least it is good to know that you've only bombed 1 section. If you manage to improve on VR then everything's going to be alright.:thumbup:

2PM exam:

Retaking in September...

Well the good news is you have no where to go but up. Don't neglect your strengths, if you just maintain what you have you're easily in the 32+ range in the sciences, work that verbal.

You're doing something very very wrong, but only you can know what that is. Try the EK method of just sticking with the main idea, it's almost guaranteed to get you a 10 in my experience.

I am horrified. I avg a 35 on aamc prac tests and 33-37 on kaplan. i ran out of time majorly on PS on real thing had to christmas tree whole last passage .... but was hopeful after hearing how bad it was... but i was pretty sure id have to retake since blindly guessing on a whole passage that might have been an easy one could kill me. idk what to do. i got a 30. i got a 29 on my diagnostic with 0 studying. i got lower on PS on real thing that diagnostic. i got 9/11/10. im most shocked about bio. i got 13s on the last 5 aamcs. i ran out of time here too and guessed on last 3 qs. idk what to do... i normally get 10/12/13. but i dont wanna retake and be 2 months farther back in cycle.... but its disappointing to study 6 months for 8 or so hours a day and drop 5 pts from avg. idk if i should retake tho because my PS and VR werent that far off from my avg. but my bio was 3 pts. but idt going from a 30 to 32 is worth a 2 month delay. and i cant know ill get a 34 etc on retake. what do i do. 3.85 sgpa. amazing resume. great LOR. everyone was expecting at least a 33 from me..... so sad. really wanted to go to school in Ny, but thats obv dead dream. am applying to 5 yr md/ma ethics programs. i have extensive work in ethics. do u think with my resume and gpa i should retake or just hope for the best. my score could improve a lot on retake if bio went back up to avg but if it doesnt i prob wouldnt improve that much..... :( cant believe this.

Been lurking for awhile on this thread -- I was a May 11th first time taker and retook on July 13. I had a very similar experience. My AAMC practice exams were all in the mid to high 30s, never scored below 10 in anything. My first diagnostic was a 29 before studying and went up immediately after that and felt very confident going in. Ended up scoring a 30 (10 PS, 9VR, 11 BS). I was in complete shock; I had been scoring 15s in bio on AAMCs 9, 10 and 11. Was scoring 11-13 on PS and 10-12 in verbal.

Send in some applications and just get back on the horse and retake. It doesn't matter where you go to school -- you will become a doctor. I don't know how my second MCAT went but I'm still studying in case I take it a 3rd time -- we've come too far to give up!! I also know someone who had a similar experience, got a 32 the first time and got a 41 a month later. Just keep your head up and know you're capable of pulling it together. Good luck!

Last edited:
So I totally bombed the PS section! I had been scoring between 8-11 in it and got a 4!!! Not sure what happened? Any tips? Retaking on Sept 7. Gotta nail it this time. Have a wife and 3 kids that are depending on me to get into med school! (Did really well on VR & BS)

So I totally bombed the PS section! I had been scoring between 8-11 in it and got a 4!!! Not sure what happened? Any tips? Retaking on Sept 7. Gotta nail it this time. Have a wife and 3 kids that are depending on me to get into med school! (Did really well on VR & BS)

What study materials did you use? For gen chem and physics, I used Princeton. I was satisfied with an 11 in PS. My June test was very gen chem heavy... Is that a weakness for you? All I can say that practicing PS content every day helped me. I took ten practice tests in a matter of four weeks. I'd like to think that helped me. Hope everything works out for you. Good luck.

What study materials did you use? For gen chem and physics, I used Princeton. I was satisfied with an 11 in PS. My June test was very gen chem heavy... Is that a weakness for you? All I can say that practicing PS content every day helped me. I took ten practice tests in a matter of four weeks. I'd like to think that helped me. Hope everything works out for you. Good luck.

Used TBR mainly. I took 6 practice tests but have been told 10 & 11 (the ones I didn't take) are the best. I would love to get an 11 in PS. I have about 7 general areas between the two that are less than what I would call strengths and only 3 of those are flagged as severe weaknesses. (The other 4 vary between 60% and 90% correct on the tests)