*Official June 2016 MCAT Thread*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

aalamruad

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey there everyone! Figured I'd start this thread since I recently started preparing for the June 18th MCAT. For those of you who are taking the June 2nd MCAT, June 18th MCAT, or still considering one of those two dates, feel free to post here with any questions, comments, concerns, or support you have to offer!

Good luck to you all! Let's crush it.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Hello Everyone,
I was wondering what you are all using to prepare for the MCAT.
Using the new TPR set (except for CARS). Supplementing that with EK 8th edition, and using the EK method for CARS. Also EK 101 verbal passages for extra CARS practice (excluding the science passages). Will eventually purchase and use all available AAMC material. Doing all content review with Anki so far. Doing exclusively content review for the first ~1.5 months (except for CARS, of course), and then will transition to almost exclusively practice passages and practice exams.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello everyone! Checking in as well: June 2nd.

I'll also be using TPR set supplemented with EK and EK 101 for verbal. I'm trying to find another source for verbal practice (input welcomed). I also have the AAMC Official Guide and AAMC Practice Question Sets. My study schedule is about 4 months long as I'll also be in school.

Is anyone else studying while taking classes?

Reactions: 1 users

I'll also be using TPR set supplemented with EK and EK 101 for verbal. I'm trying to find another source for verbal practice (input welcomed). I also have the AAMC Official Guide and AAMC Practice Question Sets. My study schedule is about 4 months long as I'll also be in school.

Yup, currently taking biology, physics, and biochemistry

For CARS daily reading, I recommend www.ALDaily.com (essays and opinions section). The articles are pretty dense and similar in style to the MCAT. However, they do tend to be long. I suggest picking out about 600 words (5-7 paragraphs) worth of text per article and timing yourself at about 6 mins to read it. Focus on finding the core theme of the article. If the article's core theme does not become apparent in the first 600 words, continue reading until it does. Good luck to all taking in June!

Reactions: 4 users
Hello all! I am doing my best to prepare for the MCAT. However I have not yet taken Biochem. I have read thread after thread mixed with comments on how it is incredibly difficult to take the new MCAT w/o the Biochem background, while others say with dedication it is still possible.
I do have all the Kaplan 2015 books that I am planning on working through, but I am also open to any advice that you all may have!
That being said, I have not yet signed up to take the MCAT (I don’t know if it's worth the risk of getting poor scores?) Please, any advice or opinions are dearly welcomed-

Hello all! I am doing my best to prepare for the MCAT. However I have not yet taken Biochem. I have read thread after thread mixed with comments on how it is incredibly difficult to take the new MCAT w/o the Biochem background, while others say with dedication it is still possible.
I do have all the Kaplan 2015 books that I am planning on working through, but I am also open to any advice that you all may have!
That being said, I have not yet signed up to take the MCAT (I don’t know if it's worth the risk of getting poor scores?) Please, any advice or opinions are dearly welcomed-
Well registration for the June MCAT isn't even open yet, so you have quite a bit of time to make your decision. Is it possible for you to take a biochem class this quarter/semester?

Hello everyone, I plan on taking it June 18th. I will be using TPR, EK 8th edition and Next Step materials for CARS section. I was wondering if any would be interested in forming a small study group in the SF bay area. I'm located in the East Bay.

Reactions: 1 user
Registration for the all exams after June will open on February 10th. This includes us, June test takers!

Registration for the all exams after June will open on February 10th. This includes us, June test takers!
Thank you so much for this info! I knew it was some time during February, but wasn't sure exactly when. Thanks for saving me the effort of checking every morning during February!

Hello again fellow June test takers! I was wondering when others testing in this month will begin studying? I'll be starting on the 31st of this month for a total of 123 days of studying (including break days and the week I take off for Spring Vacation).

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello again fellow June test takers! I was wondering when others testing in this month will begin studying? I'll be starting on the 31st of this month for a total of 123 days of studying (including break days and the week I take off for Spring Vacation).
I started prepping about half way through winter break, around December 20th I believe. I've been ramping up my weekly hours since that point, and am now spending almost all of my free time studying for it (and plan on maintaining that pace until the test date).

Does anyone have a schedule (particularly Kaplan) that they would be willing to share?
I already took the test once in July of last year and will most likely be taking the June 2nd test.
Also, does anyone know when the June date registrations open up?

Does anyone have a schedule (particularly Kaplan) that they would be willing to share?
I already took the test once in July of last year and will most likely be taking the June 2nd test.
Also, does anyone know when the June date registrations open up?
Registration opens Feb 10th. I don't have a schedule that I can share, except for saying that when I have free time, I'm using it to study for the MCAT (all content review as of right now).

I am currently registered for the April 23rd test date. But I'm not ready and I am looking to reschedule it for June 18th. That makes me feel very good. Anyone know what day these dates open up officially? I am current finishing my bio series, and I'm enrolled in the Kaplan test prep. I also have the Princeton review book series for backup. All is well. Good luck to all.

I am currently registered for the April 23rd test date. But I'm not ready and I am looking to reschedule it for June 18th. That makes me feel very good. Anyone know what day these dates open up officially? I am current finishing my bio series, and I'm enrolled in the Kaplan test prep. I also have the Princeton review book series for backup. All is well. Good luck to all.
MCAT registration will open on February 10 for the June-Sept 2016 exam dates.

I am interesting for this test, Please give me some important points about this test? All are science related questions or some general knowledge questions as well?

TamanthaBruington - The link below might be helpful in regards to the breakdown of the test/information that will be on the MCAT. It also mentions a little about what will be similar on the new MCAT vs the previous MCAT.

https://www.mcat-prep.com/mcat-2016/

I started prepping about half way through winter break, around December 20th I believe. I've been ramping up my weekly hours since that point, and am now spending almost all of my free time studying for it (and plan on maintaining that pace until the test date).

Way to go! I admire your dedication :)

Sorry for the confusion, what I meant to say is that I will use that studying schedule format but will extend it to accommodate the 137 days left.

Last edited:
I Am on the same boat. Does anyone using the self pace program with Kaplan? Which is better, kaplan or Princeton review? The online self pace one. Thanks.

Dont know if i wanna take on the 2 or 18, but im retaking because of my poor verbal score from last July's test. Just started studying solely verbal a few weeks ago and will continue up until the middle/end of Feb. Then ill ease up on verbal and do content review (mostly EK and maybe TPR for Psych Soc)for 1-2 months and to finish it up, AAMC question packs/section banks/practice tests for the final 1-2 months.

Starting today!!!
Hope everyone posts on here so we can keep each other on track :)

What study schedule is everyone using?

Reminder that registration is tomorrow!!

I am really trying to buckle down and get into a set studying pattern, but it is definitely hard to do while in school and working. I'm already a day and a half(ish) behind :dead:

Registration is open! Get signed up ASAP to reserve your ideal testing center before it fills up!

I got up at 5 am to register and they'd already opened registration at like 4 am or so. I guess they don't care about West coasters haha

Going for the June 2nd date.......using Kaplan as well as Khan Academy for review. So far I've taken three full-lengths through Kaplan, and all have resulted in 506. Anybody else doing Kaplan full lengths yet??

I also am using a mix of Kaplan, EK, brainscape flash cards (when I am out and about or have some random short down time), and khan academy for refresh/review. FL exams are occur each week of my study. But honestly I think any study plan is simply honing in on what you need to work on in a manner that you learn best. That, mixed with repetition, should help significantly.

We got this potential future Docs!

Registration is open! Get signed up ASAP to reserve your ideal testing center before it fills up!

I got up at 5 am to register and they'd already opened registration at like 4 am or so. I guess they don't care about West coasters haha
I too am a west coaster and woke up at 430a and they had already opened registration and 66 ppl were ahead of me waiting to register lol

How did you know there were 66 ppl in front of you? Or can we know how many seats are left in a certain testing center?
When you log on to register for the MCAT the system home page tells you how many ppl r ahead of you waiting to register (that's for all testing sites & all available dates). To my knowledge, you can't know how many seats r available at a certain testing center. Just know that if your testing center and MCAT date you desire appears on the list of registration sites on your registration screen...it's available.

Checking in! Signed up for the June 18th date. I'm using EK, the 10wk study plan because I'm still in school, but was wondering what else is a good supplement? Or is EK along with FL exams enough?

Took NS half length diagnostic -- 496 (123V/123C/125B/125P).

I wasn't quite sure what to make of verbal/CARS. I definitely felt I could do better on this section though. I got flustered about halfway through because my timing was way off and I only had 15 minutes for the last 3 passages. Ended up not finishing the last passage.

Physical sciences I need to do lots of review. I missed on some pretty basic stuff involving simple relationships. Much what I expected, though, as this is what I struggle with the most in school.

Psych and bio were not bad at all, 125 on each, felt like there was basic trivia that I was unaware of, which will come with content review. Psych I feel comfortable that I'll be able to get in the 80%+ with a little more content review. Bio is slightly different, need to work on dissecting passages.

I'm shooting for 505-510, so I don't think a ~10 point score raise in 4 months is unreasonable at all! Let's do this!

Edit: sorry for the blog. :p

Me! Takine Orgo2 and Physics1 right now. I have the Kaplan books so I've been reading those as we cover the sections in class. My classes end the last week in April and I'm planning on taking summer classes that begin the 2nd week in May. Taking MCAT for 2nd time on June 2nd.

Checking in for June 18th. took the new test back in june of 2015 and didnt do as well as id hoped. I used TPR set for the 2015 MCAT and not a fan. wasted lots of time on extraneous info that wasn't needed. gonna try EK and Kaplan this time around

Checking in. Also signed up for June 2nd. Used Kaplan last time and not pleased. Using EK and Khan Academy this time. Also taking Biochem this semester. Fingers crossed!!

Checking in. Also signed up for June 2nd. Used Kaplan last time and not pleased. Using EK and Khan
Academy this time. Also taking Biochem this semester. Fingers crossed!!
bingy95,
what did you not like about kaplan? I'm curious because I'm doing it now. Some of the online content is terrible, and I've actually been using Khan more. what was your impression of the practice tests vs the real deal, and how did scores compare?

I have started using the newest Kaplans books and also purchased the Barron's MCAT flash cards. I also plan on using Khan Academy and use all available AAMC material. I am signed up for June 18th test and am nervous. I haven't seen most of this material in three years.