*Official June 2016 MCAT Thread*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

aalamruad

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey there everyone! Figured I'd start this thread since I recently started preparing for the June 18th MCAT. For those of you who are taking the June 2nd MCAT, June 18th MCAT, or still considering one of those two dates, feel free to post here with any questions, comments, concerns, or support you have to offer!

Good luck to you all! Let's crush it.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Final section bank scores: C/P 63%, B/B 55%, P/S 65%. Maybe not as high as I'd like, but I'm trying not to stress out over them. With one week left before the test, other than taking and reviewing the scored practice, I plan on relaxing and reinforcing the content gaps that I have. I think my reasoning is pretty solid, and my timing is fine, so hopefully a small bump in content review will make a big difference.

I heard anything over 50% is considered good, as the section banks are extremely difficult. Of course that's according to reddit, so take it as you will, but I can't imagine the MCAT would be as hard as the section banks.

Reactions: 1 user
I have. I took Orgo 2 and biochem this semester (spring 2016) and orgo 1 and physics 2 last semester (fall 2015)
I'm just debating because I have other commitments set in line and it all follows me taking it June 2nd (that right there kind of increases the pressure more for me) so i dont know

Oh well then if you feel ready enough go for it! I guess it all depends how much time and effort those commitments will take away from MCAT studying. Sorry wish I could be of more help! I'm not sure how much time and effort your commitments are going to take up, but I'm a full time student right now and I've been volunteering/shadowing these past couple weeks will grinding for the MCAT and I hate it. I wish I would have given myself the first half of the summer off lol

Edit: you know the more I think about it the more I think I should be the one postponing

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I was just doing some thinking....anyone else feel like NS1 was pretty easy compared to the AAMC materials?

I felt like it was pretty much the same as the AAMC scored FL except the passages were more dense compared to AAMC. But the questions were straight forward for the most part IMO.

I went over the exam last night and looked at the ones I got wrong and thought it was a solid exam. The psych had a few terms I'd never seen before. Like the model for racial identity or something like that? Pre-Encounter --> Encounter --> etc. for accepting their racial identity as an African American? I'd never heard of that.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

I was just doing some thinking....anyone else feel like NS1 was pretty easy compared to the AAMC materials?
I got a 512 on NS1 and like a 508 equivalent on the unscored and never higher than 65% on EK full lengths, so i think yes haha. I definitely don't expect a 512 on the real thing (altho i'd obviously be very happy with it!), I think my true score is closer to the AAMC. I also think a lot of it depends on what your strengths are, the NSFL1 had passages that played to my strengths, whereas the unscored did not.

Last edited:
I think formula review is absolutely fine along with reviewing mistakes or concepts that you've compiled. But nothing like a test or anything LOL. Also TXHopeful thank you so much for showing me how to do that problem, its like it unlocked a key for a really dusty door that I had impeding me from those problems.
You're so welcome. That rusty door opened for me while I've been studying this round and it's crazy how many questions there were in the Section Bank regarding simple stoichiometry.

What I've been doing is taking my Next Step exams, then going through them writing down RANDOM facts that I didnt know or questions that I got right for the wrong reasons (solubility of solids/liquids increase as Temp increases -> OPP for gases! Solubility decreases as Temp increases) and just going through my 9 pages of facts(front and back). Some of them are repeated (like Transduction uses a virus. Transformation directly uptakes the genetic material) but yeah...I don't know if it can help but its helped me remember when i see a question the next day.
When I took Gen. Phys. last semester, there was a whole intense section about ice fish in the Antarctic (really cool actually) and that they could live without having hemoglobin because there was so much dissolved oxygen in the waters. Cold = lots of oxygen in water solved that solubility dilemma.

Final section bank scores: C/P 63%, B/B 55%, P/S 65%. Maybe not as high as I'd like, but I'm trying not to stress out over them. With one week left before the test, other than taking and reviewing the scored practice, I plan on relaxing and reinforcing the content gaps that I have. I think my reasoning is pretty solid, and my timing is fine, so hopefully a small bump in content review will make a big difference.
I hear ya on the Section Bank scores! Reviewing those things were intense and time-consuming, but definitely filled some gaps. I look over my correction notebook every day and it's helpful!

I don't deserve Sunday and Monday off if I don't take the NS 1 exam today. Diving into that shortly.

Does anyone have a good link on SDS Page? That was one of my main weaknesses on the section bank, and Kaplan devoted like 1 sentence to it.

Does anyone have a good link on SDS Page? That was one of my main weaknesses on the section bank, and Kaplan devoted like 1 sentence to it.
http://bitesizebio.com/580/how-sds-page-works/
This could work. Its literally gel electrophoresis, just with SDS (a detergent to reduce proteins which means to cleave the disulfide bonds)
All this is, its just a method to see how much proteins weigh. and if SDS is in there, then the proteins will separate and you see how much the individual components weigh:
Example: You have an unknown dimer that has a total weight of 200 kDa. This is established when you first ran this protein under PAGE and you see 1 dark band thats next to the comparative 200 kDa.
When you added SDS, it broke apart the disulfide bonds linking the dimer together. Now in that lane of the well, you will see 2 dark bands instead of 1, 1 at say 150 kDa and 1 at 50 kDa. Both of them will be further down the gel since they weigh less than 200 kDa individually. The 50kDa will be the furthest down since it weighs the least.

http://bitesizebio.com/580/how-sds-page-works/
This could work. Its literally gel electrophoresis, just with SDS (a detergent to reduce proteins which means to cleave the disulfide bonds)
All this is, its just a method to see how much proteins weigh. and if SDS is in there, then the proteins will separate and you see how much the individual components weigh:
Example: You have an unknown dimer that has a total weight of 200 kDa. This is established when you first ran this protein under PAGE and you see 1 dark band thats next to the comparative 200 kDa.
When you added SDS, it broke apart the disulfide bonds linking the dimer together. Now in that lane of the well, you will see 2 dark bands instead of 1, 1 at say 150 kDa and 1 at 50 kDa. Both of them will be further down the gel since they weigh less than 200 kDa individually. The 50kDa will be the furthest down since it weighs the least.

Thank you! Can you also explain the difference between reducing and nonreducing?

Thank you! Can you also explain the difference between reducing and nonreducing?
In the tertiary structure of the protein, there are many factors that constitute to the stability (hydrophobic interactions of the nonpolar AA / hydrogen bonds/salt bridges/disulfide bonds).
For Reducing, you are cleaving the disulfide bonds whereas in non-reducing, you arent.
I know that there are some questions where in non-reducing proteins, you only see 1 band on the PAGE which technically is true. It just means that there wasn't a significant amount of disulfide bonds stabilizing it, and instead had the other "bonds"(or really interactions) i was saying earlier. Nevertheless, thats the difference.

Hello everyone,
This is my first post. I'm planning to take the June 18th test. I have a question regarding uncompetitive inhibitors. So I know the decrease Km and Vmax (and I understand why that happens), but their graphs show Km increasing so that is confusing me.
This graph for example: https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikibooks/en/thumb/7/77/UNCOMPETITIVE.jpg/500px-UNCOMPETITIVE.jpg

Can anyone explain why to me?
Thanks!
The graph shows 1/km at the intercept, so when km is lowered, 1/km gets larger.

Members don't see this ad :)
if you dont mind me asking. how have you been scoring on practice tests?

Do you guys have a quick way to tell if a sugar is reducing or not? I've read and looked up pictures of reducing sugars but i'm not really clear on that.

505 on NS1
WTF CARS? I feel like I could narrow down all the answers to 2, but it was so difficult distinguishing between them. Fairly interesting passages, too, which sucks that the questions were hard to narrow down.
Reviewing tomorrow....friends tonight.

Any June 2nd'ers out there still waiting on taking the scored? I was gonna take it tomorrow but I'm still feeling like crap, is Sunday too late to take it? Im not trying to fry myself out too close to the test.

Any June 2nd'ers out there still waiting on taking the scored? I was gonna take it tomorrow but I'm still feeling like crap, is Sunday too late to take it? Im not trying to fry myself out too close to the test.

I'm taking it tmmrw. I'm so nervous bc if I don't do as well as I hope i'm going to be nervous for the real thing, as most people get around their scored on the real thing.

Do you guys think it's worth memorizing the gluconeogenesis pathway? There were a few questions about that on the section bank.

Do you guys think it's worth memorizing the gluconeogenesis pathway? There were a few questions about that on the section bank.
Yeah. It really helps if you know the pathway of glycolysis and TCA cycle. Luckily gluconeogenesis is almost the exact opposite of glycolysis (except for 3 steps) but otherwise, it would help.

I heard anything over 50% is considered good, as the section banks are extremely difficult. Of course that's according to reddit, so take it as you will, but I can't imagine the MCAT would be as hard as the section banks.

I took the test on May 20th and ended up voiding because the chem/phys section left me shell shocked and I think that affected my score in the following sections as I kept thinking about how hard the c/p and where I went wrong. Seriously, it was unbelievable. If I were to compare it to the SB, I'd say it was harder than the section bank. Luckily after checking the May 20th thread, a lot of people felt that way. I got close to 70% on the SB. Just trying to give some friendly advice. I rescheduled mine for June 2nd. My biggest mistake was going in thinking it was going to be easier than the section bank. Go in with the right mentality expecting it to be difficult but that you are prepared and I think you'll be better off. Hopefully, many of you guys find this helpful!

Reactions: 4 users

I'm planning on taking it Monday. Won't have a big enough block of time to take it under test conditions until then. I don't see it being a problem.

I got about the same on the sample as well. Hoping to get a 510 or above.
Same, my goal is 510, though I'd probably be satisfied with a 508 if that's what it comes down to. Feels like I'm close to there, but not comfortably so.

I took the test on May 20th and ended up voiding because the chem/phys section left me shell shocked and I think that affected my score in the following sections as I kept thinking about how hard the c/p and where I went wrong. Seriously, it was unbelievable. If I were to compare it to the SB, I'd say it was harder than the section bank. Luckily after checking the May 20th thread, a lot of people felt that way. I got close to 70% on the SB. Just trying to give some friendly advice. I rescheduled mine for June 2nd. My biggest mistake was going in thinking it was going to be easier than the section bank. Go in with the right mentality expecting it to be difficult but that you are prepared and I think you'll be better off. Hopefully, many of you guys find this helpful!
I think part of the problem with the section bank is that it focuses on a few particular topics and completely ignores others, while it seems like the actual exams have a bit more variety. So while the section bank might be "hard", hard on those topics might not correlate to hard on other topics on the actual exam, if that makes sense.

I think part of the problem with the section bank is that it focuses on a few particular topics and completely ignores others, while it seems like the actual exams have a bit more variety. So while the section bank might be "hard", hard on those topics might not correlate to hard on other topics on the actual exam, if that makes sense.

I'd say from my experience I found there to be a lot of convoluted experiments as the SB has which is where my hard interpretation is coming from. It was nothing like the scored in terms of difficulty. I seriously expected it to be on that level. But I see what you're saying, just try not to go in with the wrong mentality and expect it to be easier than it is was what I was advising at! AAMC got the best of me last week but I'm ready for June 2nd. I think next step and section bank difficulty is the most comparable to what I got on the real test last week.

I'm taking it tmmrw. I'm so nervous bc if I don't do as well as I hope i'm going to be nervous for the real thing, as most people get around their scored on the real thing.

That's exactly how I feel haha I'm almost getting as nervous for it as I probably will for the real exam lol so much pressure since there's only 1 scored FL for us(better than people last year having only the unscored though)

Thanks! So if there's an acetal it's nonreducing right?

Exactly :) Also, note that a Hemiketal sugar is reducing and a ketal sugar is not reducing but questions with ketals/hemiketals are less common

Taking my lunch in the middle of NS2 full length.. I took an extra 6 minutes on C/P :oops:and guessed on the last couple of questions on CARS. Passages were much easier to read than what I've been practicing but the answer choices were much harder to choose from. I got a 502 on NS1 last week.

For those asking about Kaplan vs NS exams. I have all of the Kaplan full lengths but decided to buy the 4 NS exams because they are more similar to AAMC. Taking the MCAT for the first time last summer I got way too used to Kaplan's testing and I think it effected me negatively.

Reactions: 2 users
I'm planning on taking it Monday. Won't have a big enough block of time to take it under test conditions until then. I don't see it being a problem.

Same, my goal is 510, though I'd probably be satisfied with a 508 if that's what it comes down to. Feels like I'm close to there, but not comfortably so.

Funny I scored the same on the sample as well and have the same goal, I'm hoping a 76% on the sample translates well enough to 508-512. My original goal going into all this was a 512 but at this point I'd be more than happy 508+.

Taking my lunch in the middle of NS2 full length.. I took an extra 6 minutes on C/P :oops:and guessed on the last couple of questions on CARS. Passages were much easier to read than what I've been practicing but the answer choices were much harder to choose from. I got a 502 on NS1 last week.

For those asking about Kaplan vs NS exams. I have all of the Kaplan full lengths but decided to buy the 4 NS exams because they are more similar to AAMC. Taking the MCAT for the first time last summer I got way too used to Kaplan's testing and I think it effected me negatively.

I've only done the AAMC sample so I don't know too much about aamc questions, but I agree with the part about Kaplan. I felt like I was just getting good at Kaplan and then I shifted gears to AAMC and was kinda surprised.

I'd say from my experience I found there to be a lot of convoluted experiments as the SB has which is where my hard interpretation is coming from. It was nothing like the scored in terms of difficulty. I seriously expected it to be on that level. But I see what you're saying, just try not to go in with the wrong mentality and expect it to be easier than it is was what I was advising at! AAMC got the best of me last week but I'm ready for June 2nd. I think next step and section bank difficulty is the most comparable to what I got on the real test last week.

How are you preparing differently for the June 2nd exam? Because honestly if the C/P is harder than the section bank I feel screwed, bc I only got a 65%. What would you recommend focusing on?

Pre-content review:
NS Half-Length: 495 (felt okay about this)
TPR Demo: 493 (insanely hard)
Kaplan Half-length: 484 (lol @ this advertisement to sign up for a course, seriously. 0 critical thinking/passage interpretation, all content based questions)

Mid-content review:
5/17 -- Altius 1: 124/123/124/126 -- 497
5/22 -- NS1: 126/124/125/128 -- 503
Today: 5/27 -- NS2: 127/128/126/126 -- 507

NS2 impressions:
C/P: Felt quite good about this, and scored well!
CARS: YES! Totally feeling better about passages now that I've got some Qpack stuff under my belt. Practice, practice, and more practice is helping.
BIO: Felt like I got MURDERED. Lots of genetics on this test, which is my worst stuff. Glad to see improvement in it though overall.
P/S: BLEH. Lots of terms I hadn't seen before (I'm using EK mostly, supplement with Khan). Forgot some of the stuff that I did early in my content review that was about 3 weeks ago now, namely theories and such. Going to have to continue to brush up on that.

Overall, digging my trend. Not sure about my decision to move the test to July 8th now, but oh well. I think it's motivated me to study harder since I feel like everything is manageable in terms of content review, which I am finishing up this next week. Would've been cutting it a little close without the extra couple weeks. Finally feeling like I have a shot to actually do well... didn't think I would ever say that. Hard work is paying off though it seems.

Keep on keepin' on guys! We got this!

How are you preparing differently for the June 2nd exam? Because honestly if the C/P is harder than the section bank I feel screwed, bc I only got a 65%. What would you recommend focusing on?
It probably wont work now since its late but I was so upset leaving the test center May 20th I went and reread the kaplan chem and phys prep books again. Focused on the stuff I was a little hazy on and then I've been working through next steps tests, focusing on chem. I've been doing fairly decent. 127+ on them but I guess my case is a bit different since I knew what i needed to focus on. I think 65% on the chem phys section bank is really good, dont be discouraged. You're on the right path. Just go in expecting it to be that hard and you'll be better off is my advice. You'll pay more attention to detail as you're going through the test. Im going to rereview my section banks tuesday and wednesday but my next step scores arent spectacular either. Im getting 505-508. My scored was a 507 and my unscored was a 77% overall.

Hello everyone,
This is my first post. I'm planning to take the June 18th test. I have a question regarding uncompetitive inhibitors. So I know the decrease Km and Vmax (and I understand why that happens), but their graphs show Km increasing so that is confusing me.
This graph for example: https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikibooks/en/thumb/7/77/UNCOMPETITIVE.jpg/500px-UNCOMPETITIVE.jpg

Can anyone explain why to me?
Thanks!
It sort of seems counterintuitive that both Vmax AND Km decrease, but think about it: an uncompetitive inhibitor binds to the ES complex after the substrate binds to the enzyme. Basically, the inhibitor "locks" the ES complex so tightly together that it just stops functioning. The super tight association looks like an increase in affinity of the enzyme for the product, when in reality, it's just giving it a really tight bear hug. Since it's squeezing the substrate, it can't accept new substrate, and therefore the Vmax decreases.

Also, just for reference, here are some updates scores for y'all.

Kap diag: 501
Kap FL 1: 499
Kap FL 2: 497 (ouch)
Kap FL 3: 501
Kap FL 4: 505
Kap FL 5: 502
NS 1: 510
Altius free C/P section: 128
AAMC Unscored: 76%74%/68 (ouch)%/85%
Calculated to 128/126/127/129: 510
Narrow range 509-513, wide range 505-516
AAMC Official Guide: 83% B/B, 80% C/P, 87% P/S, 90% CARS

For those of you who did NS -FL1, can anyone explain to me #48on C/P? I understood their explnation. But choice C makes more sense to me since I believe that F is more electromotive than CH3O.

It probably wont work now since its late but I was so upset leaving the test center May 20th I went and reread the kaplan chem and phys prep books again. Focused on the stuff I was a little hazy on and then I've been working through next steps tests, focusing on chem. I've been doing fairly decent. 127+ on them but I guess my case is a bit different since I knew what i needed to focus on. I think 65% on the chem phys section bank is really good, dont be discouraged. You're on the right path. Just go in expecting it to be that hard and you'll be better off is my advice. You'll pay more attention to detail as you're going through the test. Im going to rereview my section banks tuesday and wednesday but my next step scores arent spectacular either. Im getting 505-508. My scored was a 507 and my unscored was a 77% overall.

My goal is to go in there and just expect it to be hard. I think the MCAT is 50% mental, 50% content. My confidence is my biggest flaw in my test taking ability, but i'm hoping to be confident and know that I know my stuff :) Good luck!

Still haven't even taken the sample test or scored test LOL. Just finished all the section banks and reviewed them all, so I'm about to look up some random terms...seriously thinking about taking tomorrow off, but probably not and take saturday and sunday to do both of them. Monday for review. Tuesday and Wednesday for final brush up of concept review.

Section bank scores. B/B 69%, C/P: 59%, Psychology: 65%....

If anyone is interested

Pre-content review:
NS Half-Length: 495 (felt okay about this)
TPR Demo: 493 (insanely hard)
Kaplan Half-length: 484 (lol @ this advertisement to sign up for a course, seriously. 0 critical thinking/passage interpretation, all content based questions)

Mid-content review:
5/17 -- Altius 1: 124/123/124/126 -- 497
5/22 -- NS1: 126/124/125/128 -- 503
Today: 5/27 -- NS2: 127/128/126/126 -- 507

NS2 impressions:
C/P: Felt quite good about this, and scored well!
CARS: YES! Totally feeling better about passages now that I've got some Qpack stuff under my belt. Practice, practice, and more practice is helping.
BIO: Felt like I got MURDERED. Lots of genetics on this test, which is my worst stuff. Glad to see improvement in it though overall.
P/S: BLEH. Lots of terms I hadn't seen before (I'm using EK mostly, supplement with Khan). Forgot some of the stuff that I did early in my content review that was about 3 weeks ago now, namely theories and such. Going to have to continue to brush up on that.

Overall, digging my trend. Not sure about my decision to move the test to July 8th now, but oh well. I think it's motivated me to study harder since I feel like everything is manageable in terms of content review, which I am finishing up this next week. Would've been cutting it a little close without the extra couple weeks. Finally feeling like I have a shot to actually do well... didn't think I would ever say that. Hard work is paying off though it seems.

Keep on keepin' on guys! We got this!

I felt the SAME WAY when I took NS1 psych... Lots of terms that I had never seen before and I used EK as well.

Makes me slightly worried but at the same time, the AAMC psych on the FL scored wasn't bad at all so maybe they'll stick to the big stuff: discrimination vs. stereotyping, social loafing, reinforcement vs. punishment, classical vs. operant conditioning, social facilitation, probably a question on social constructionalism or the conflict theory, social mobility, race vs. ethnicity, theories on behavior development(Kohlberg vs. Vygotsky vs. Erikson vs. Freud vs. Piaget)... those are some things I've seen on every exam I've taken so far (AAMC FL1, EK1, EK2, NS1.)

Still haven't even taken the sample test or scored test LOL. Just finished all the section banks and reviewed them all, so I'm about to look up some random terms...seriously thinking about taking tomorrow off, but probably not and take saturday and sunday to do both of them. Monday for review. Tuesday and Wednesday for final brush up of concept review.

If anyone is interested

Wasn't there so much randomness on the section banks? There were questions that I had never even learned about before. I'm hoping the discretes on the real thing will be more general and not super specific.

If anyone is interested

Those are good scores from what I've heard! If I could make a suggestion it would be give yourself a day between tests, for me at least I find them absolutely exhausting

Wasn't there so much randomness on the section banks? There were questions that I had never even learned about before. I'm hoping the discretes on the real thing will be more general and not super specific.

There was definitely **** on there that I've never seen. And god hope there isn't a lot of physics...but that being said I'm working on writing down equations that I want to have down because some questions were purely memorization, such as formulas or nucleotides....

Those are good scores from what I've heard! If I could make a suggestion it would be give yourself a day between tests, for me at least I find them absolutely exhausting

I think I'm gonna have to at this rate...I've taken 6 practice tests so far before this 4 from Next step, 2 from examkrackers approximately 2 months ago and scored as follows

NS1: 505
NS2: 504
NS3: 502 (wtf...)
NS4: 504
EK1: 64%
EK2: 67%

range so hopefully there is an upward trend for these last two...any recommendations on which AAMC one to take first/simulates the real one more?

There was definitely **** on there that I've never seen. And god hope there isn't a lot of physics...but that being said I'm working on writing down equations that I want to have down because some questions were purely memorization, such as formulas or nucleotides....

I think I'm gonna have to at this rate...I've taken 6 practice tests so far before this 4 from Next step, 2 from examkrackers approximately 2 months ago and scored as follows

range so hopefully there is an upward trend for these last two...any recommendations on which AAMC one to take first/simulates the real one more?

I'm taking the scored this weekend, but from what I've heard the scored is more like the real one.

Take the scored last, it will be most realistic. The unscored seems to be realistic besides cars, the CARS on the unscored is easy compared to the real thing apparently.

Hi guys.

A little late, but checking in. Writing on June 2nd.

Managed 525 on the scored test about a week and a half ago, 91/91/98/87 on the sample (or something like that) a month ago, and something similar on the OG.

Happy to answer questions if anyone needs.