*Official June 2016 MCAT Thread*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

aalamruad

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey there everyone! Figured I'd start this thread since I recently started preparing for the June 18th MCAT. For those of you who are taking the June 2nd MCAT, June 18th MCAT, or still considering one of those two dates, feel free to post here with any questions, comments, concerns, or support you have to offer!

Good luck to you all! Let's crush it.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
I saw a study done on here where the average improvement was 14points from last Kap FL to real thing. With and SD of maybe 3-4, but I think results with studies like that are skewed one SDN. Seems as though everybody scores 90th percentile or higher, like if you look at that one chart going around here of reported FL scores and real scores there are maybe a few people that actually scored less than 509 and the vast majority scored 515+. I don't want to get my hopes up too high haha so I just take the SDN skew into consideration

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

You're also getting the neuroticism of SDN, too. People on SDN tend to have higher GPAs, score higher on the MCAT, AND report their scores, too. So there's definitely a lot of bias.

Anyway, I need to go do a few CARS passages and then (finally) review the sample test's bio section.

Reactions: 1 user
Out of curiosity, how many FLs would you guys have done by your test date? The 7.5h long exams are really taking a toll on me and I find it really hard to push myself to do as many of them as I'd like...
I remember doing all of the AAMC practice tests for the old MCAT (8-ish?) and I feel like I would have done more if there were more to do. My schedule has 9 of them, but between doing the section banks and question packs (+review) I'm probably only going to do the EK 1-4 with AAMC stuff and then whatever else.
506 per the half-length diagnostic yesterday. C/P section is killing me.

Members don't see this ad :)
Out of curiosity, how many FLs would you guys have done by your test date? The 7.5h long exams are really taking a toll on me and I find it really hard to push myself to do as many of them as I'd like...
I 'm working through 8: TPR 1, NS 1-4, EK 4, and both the AAMC tests.

@Mr. otcoD Kaplan. I don't think EK gives you scores on their tests, just % correct.

Also, is it really worth it to do the section banks? I'm working on B/B right now and holy ******* ****. I finished like 30 questions so far and I'm at ~55% correct.

So far I've done 4 FLs, including the AAMC unscored. Going to do AAMC scored on Monday, then NS4 Thursday. I've found taking them really useful, not just in terms of practice, but learning tendencies I have when sitting for that long. I rush through P/S because I'm so ready to be done and I make a ton of dumb mistakes.
Took AAMC unscored yesterday and got 61%/94%/68%/71%. Anyone able to tell me roughly what that converts to? Also, the Discretes are killing me, not the passages, anyone else finding this?

I've taken 3 FL, and I'm planning on 2-3 more. I was originally planning on taking more, but I'm finding that almost all of my mistakes are due to content issues, and therefore I'm focusing more on learning/relearning a few things.

So far I've done 4 FLs, including the AAMC unscored. Going to do AAMC scored on Monday, then NS4 Thursday. I've found taking them really useful, not just in terms of practice, but learning tendencies I have when sitting for that long. I rush through P/S because I'm so ready to be done and I make a ton of dumb mistakes.
Took AAMC unscored yesterday and got 61%/94%/68%/71%. Anyone able to tell me roughly what that converts to? Also, the Discretes are killing me, not the passages, anyone else finding this?

Narrow range 508-512, broad range 504-516, predicted 509(but for some reason the numbers being pumped out by the excel sheet for sections add up to 512 and its saying 509, not sure might be faulty)

How much harder is the scored full length than the unscored sample? I'm sort of freaking out because the sample was pretty easy (I thought)

I just did only a Psych section from Kaplan. 32/59 apparently is a 124. But on the practice AAMC test, a 34/59 was a 123. I don't think Kaplan scores are entirely accurate...

How much harder is the scored full length than the unscored sample? I'm sort of freaking out because the sample was pretty easy (I thought)
The Unscored honestly seemed a little easier. The Practice one got me on Psych because I had only done TPR psych up until then and I was taken aback as to how much I really needed to go over. (121). But I took this last week and I just got a 124 on Kaplan(dont know if this is accurate :/) so its just content review over and over.

Members don't see this ad :)
Okay. I got 76% correct on the sample, will I also do well on the scored too?
It all depends.

If you've gone over Scored, understand your stupid mistakes and the ones you got wrong because you just didnt know it then you will do better.

I was so heartbroken by my Practice score(494 from May 15th). I took it before Scored(501 from May 17th). I realized I didnt know a lot of content so I'm planning to take Practice from AAMC again on May 28th.

How can you check your answers mid-way through?
When you do any of the AAMC materials there's an option for "show solutions". Then when you are doing the questions there is a "solutions" button. I like it because it is more helpful to go over the correct answer when I can remember my exact thinking for choosing whatever answer I chose. Obviously, not great for simulating testing conditions.

Just finished the AAMC Sample. Got 66%/79%/81%/76%. Despite my stressing and feeling unprepared, it seems like I'm right where I want to be. I have some definite deficiencies in physics that should be easy to make up a few points in the next two weeks.

Also, I really don't like the AAMC solution descriptions.

Last edited:
Just completed the AAMC sample test. my overall progression has been:
EK FL 1 64%
EK FL2 63% (great improvement on all sections except C/P which was extremely tough this test and brought my percentage down)
NS FL1 512 (128, 128, 128, 128)
AAMC Sample: 61% 92% 75% 80%

Hoping that drilling the C/P for the next month (taking it June 18th) will improve my score. I think I got lucky in the NS FL1 that the questions were on material that I was more comfortable with. I'm a non-trad and haven't taken a chemistry class in 8 years so I'm really struggling with it.

I have to say that taking full lengths has REALLY helped my stamina. In the first test, I missed so many questions that were in the end of the section just because I was losing focus. I definitely recommend doing at least a few before the real thing to help with this. It also helps you figure out what kind of snacks you can fit into the breaks, what you work best on, etc.

Starting on the C/P question packs this week, then starting Section Bank (can't wait since they seem incredibly difficult).

Just finished the AAMC Sample. Got 66%/79%/81%/76%. Despite my stressing and feeling unprepared, it seems like I'm right where I want to be. I have some definite deficiencies in physics that should be easy to make up a few points in the next two weeks.

Also, I really don't like the AAMC solution descriptions.
Their solutions are ridiculous. Like every answer requires Scientific Reasoning and Problem Solving, so just stating that really doesn't help at all.

I really want to try NS. How was FL1 compared to Kaplan FL's?
I haven't taken any Kaplan FL's, but the free one (NS FL1) is definitely worthwhile. The passages were long and I ran out of time, but that was helpful for working on pacing. The explanations are better than aamc and EK IMO. The difficulty seemed easier than EK and around the same as AAMC sample.

Last edited:
Their solutions are ridiculous. Like every answer requires Scientific Reasoning and Problem Solving, so just stating that really doesn't help at all.
What I really hate is that they don't always have explanations for why the other answer choices are wrong. And yea, I don't care what category the question is from.

Just finished NS1... 126/124/125/128 = 503. Was stressed as hell taking it but ended up doing much better than I anticipated. Anyone know how well NS correlates to the real deal? I definitely felt rushed on my CARS and C/P, and even B/B I took longer than I usually do. P/S was about my usual... but still missed STUPID questions! Sigh. Could've hit 130 with a little precision. Khan and EK seem to be doing me justice there.

Finally broke the 500 barrier... better than my Altius 1 (497) that I took 1 week ago!

Just finished NS1... 126/124/125/128 = 503. Was stressed as hell taking it but ended up doing much better than I anticipated. Anyone know how well NS correlates to the real deal? I definitely felt rushed on my CARS and C/P, and even B/B I took longer than I usually do. P/S was about my usual... but still missed STUPID questions! Sigh. Could've hit 130 with a little precision. Khan and EK seem to be doing me justice there.

Finally broke the 500 barrier... better than my Altius 1 (497) that I took 1 week ago!
Literally almost the same exact as you! I took it today too 127/123/125/128

But the percentages of the scores dont make sense with the actual score. I dont mean to bring you down (this is my 2nd hitting the 500 barrier after 8 tests)
For my CARS on NS(25/53 ouch) = 123. But on the AAMC practice exam, the CARS (32/53) also equals 123!
AND: Bio on NS(31/59) = 125. on AAMC Practice Exam: (35/59) = 124

Just took the AAMC scored today, got 131/127/128/128=514. So...how likely is it for me to get 515+ on my June 2nd test?? I got a really low GPA so I absolutely need a great MCAT...

Just took the AAMC scored today, got 131/127/128/128=514. So...how likely is it for me to get 515+ on my June 2nd test?? I got a really low GPA so I absolutely need a great MCAT...
Awesome! Great score, Did you take any NS exams? and if you did, how did you do?

I think I've heard that if you have taken tons of practice tests people tend to perform slightly better on the real thing than the practice but if not people tend to do slightly worse(not sure how accurate this is). Congrats on the score that's great!!

What AAMC material do y'all think is the most helpful? Besides the full lengths. I find myself having less time than planned in these last two weeks and am in need of triaging

What AAMC material do y'all think is the most helpful? Besides the full lengths. I find myself having less time than planned in these last two weeks and am in need of triaging

Do the section banks!! The bio one is killer but I've heard rumors about how it really helps! And people from May 20th exam said to do Chem/Phys section as well from section bank. Literally if you get it, its 300 questions for C/P, BB, and Psych

Do the section banks!! The bio one is killer but I've heard rumors about how it really helps! And people from May 20th exam said to do Chem/Phys section as well from section bank. Literally if you get it, its 300 questions for C/P, BB, and Psych

Thank you so much!!! I'll definitely do them then! Do you know about how long I should plan in my schedule for them to take?(I know this is probably dependent on the person, not sure if they're timed or anything)

Thank you so much!!! I'll definitely do them then! Do you know about how long I should plan in my schedule for them to take?(I know this is probably dependent on the person, not sure if they're timed or anything)

i think you can take it like an exam and time it, in which case you'd take like 90 min for 60 questions. So you could probably get them done in a few days if you want to use them that way. I'm probably going to work on them over a week or so. I have also heard that the section bank is the single best thing you can use outside of the AAMC FL, and most said that the real thing is similar to the section bank (which sucks because everyone says the section bank is killer lol).

i think you can take it like an exam and time it, in which case you'd take like 90 min for 60 questions. So you could probably get them done in a few days if you want to use them that way. I'm probably going to work on them over a week or so. I have also heard that the section bank is the single best thing you can use outside of the AAMC FL, and most said that the real thing is similar to the section bank (which sucks because everyone says the section bank is killer lol).
Honestly you'll find yourself so confused like "wtf did i just read?" Because so many passages (i've only done bio) have so many components that are unnecessary. "This gene GFC helps with apoptosis. Heres an inhibitor GFC(r). It uses G coupled protein receptor on inner mitochrondrial membrane, labeled GFCR. Variants were isolated M1 and M2..." BUT write it down to draw like a map (this is what I did) and I was able to get it. Also don't be discouraged by the score because that one is hard for sure.

Reactions: 2 users

Sounds great thank you! Not looking forward to the intense questions haha but heck sounds like it'll be good practice

My new strategy is to read the passage, no matter what the section is, pick the answer that makes the most sense to me and then immediately disregard it. This narrows my choices to a 2 out of 3 guess as so far the more traditional pathway to picking an answer has left me high and dry.

Awesome! Great score, Did you take any NS exams? and if you did, how did you do?
Thanks! I did not take any NS exams because I did not have time for them. I heard they were very hard though.

I think I've heard that if you have taken tons of practice tests people tend to perform slightly better on the real thing than the practice but if not people tend to do slightly worse(not sure how accurate this is). Congrats on the score that's great!!

Well for my last MCAT (expired score), I did like 20+ FLs and got an actual score way above what I expected, but I did not have the time to do nearly as many FLs this time...

Last edited:
Literally almost the same exact as you! I took it today too 127/123/125/128

But the percentages of the scores dont make sense with the actual score. I dont mean to bring you down (this is my 2nd hitting the 500 barrier after 8 tests)
For my CARS on NS(25/53 ouch) = 123. But on the AAMC practice exam, the CARS (32/53) also equals 123!
AND: Bio on NS(31/59) = 125. on AAMC Practice Exam: (35/59) = 124

I'm not sure how they calculate any of the scores in percentiles when it comes to the practice exams. It could be an ever-changing thing based on the total amount of people that have taken that practice exam? I'll take some solace in the fact that I've read most people scoring a little higher on the AAMC actual than the NS practices. I don't think you are ever given a raw score on your actual exam, so I don't know how much a raw score really tells you. It seems that if you can get 70% of the questions right on every section, that's good enough. Of course, I'm not there yet, but it's all about progress!

Edit: I got 29/53 (54.72%) on CARS which was 124. Some of the passages were brutal -- rushed the last 2; ended up guessing on the entire last one for a total of 2 questions right between those.

Can anyone vouch for the difficulty of the CARS section practice questions in the Official Guide to the MCAT? I felt like the topics and stories were easier to understand than say the first half of the verbal question pack (which killed me). Is the real MCAT more like the official guide or the question packs?

Can anyone vouch for the difficulty of the CARS section practice questions in the Official Guide to the MCAT? I felt like the topics and stories were easier to understand than say the first half of the verbal question pack (which killed me). Is the real MCAT more like the official guide or the question packs?

From what I've heard(which isn't much) the CARS sections have been killer lately, not sure how accurate that is just what I've collected

Damn. I think I was beginning to be lulled to a false sense of security with the Official Guide

Can yall also help me with how to approach biological passages. I understand the science presented in the outlines but don't seem to understand how to attack those research passages...and I've seen if you can't do that then you basically fail the questions... ANY ADVICE is appreciated

Can yall also help me with how to approach biological passages. I understand the science presented in the outlines but don't seem to understand how to attack those research passages...and I've seen if you can't do that then you basically fail the questions... ANY ADVICE is appreciated
Its just constant exposure to those ridiculous passages. I dont know if youve seen my earlier posts but people have been saying the actual exam is pretty similar to how the section bank (at least for bio) is in terms of how hard it is to read it. Evidently in the passage, they'll give you a whole bunch of BS info. My suggestion would be to start backwards (look at experiment first. See what they wanted to test for. Then go backwards from the variants.)

wI'll definitely check them out. What do you think about the examkrackers approach? Also what are y'all using for psych/soc to make sure there are no random ass vocal words you don't know? I did some AAMC flashcards for psych and got blindsided on some terms I've never seen

So i got a 501 on my first practice test yesterday (TPR). Is there any hope of bringing that up to a 516 in 4 weeks?

So i got a 501 on my first practice test yesterday (TPR). Is there any hope of bringing that up to a 516 in 4 weeks?
I think there is. TPR scores are pretty deflated. I got 498 on mine, and am expecting to get around 508-510 on the test. Make sure that you analyze everything you missed, fill in any content gaps, make sure you are reading carefully and not making logic mistakes. Also do some practice that isn't TPR for variety, AAMC should be the closest to your actual scores(save for the last 2-3ish weeks), and NS is pretty fair too.