*Official June 2016 MCAT Thread*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

aalamruad

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey there everyone! Figured I'd start this thread since I recently started preparing for the June 18th MCAT. For those of you who are taking the June 2nd MCAT, June 18th MCAT, or still considering one of those two dates, feel free to post here with any questions, comments, concerns, or support you have to offer!

Good luck to you all! Let's crush it.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Between a 31 and 32 depending on your percentile. The AAMC has files online that show the percentiles correlating with each score for the old and new MCAT. I'd say that's the most reliable
Okay cool. Seems like 86%ile is around a 32 more than a 31 from what I'm saying. Still makes no sense to me how a 504 is a 28 but a 511 is only a 32 considering a 7 point increase

Reactions: 1 user
I got a 509 with a breakdown of 125/130/125/129 are the 125s in the sciences good enough?

those 125s would be huge red flags for me, IMO

the percentiles correspond to something like 55/97/55/93, with your two major science categories being right AT average. i would talk to an advisor if you have one

I demand your practice exams. All of you! :( ugh I can't believe I have to start studying again. I am happy for all of you who did well. Try to help this poor dude who didn't do well with your exams and love :)

Members don't see this ad :)
those 125s would be huge red flags for me, IMO

the percentiles correspond to something like 55/97/55/93, with your two major science categories being right AT average. i would talk to an advisor if you have one

Ugh, thx for the reply

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I got a 509 with a breakdown of

126/125/130/128

Would the 125 in CARS be a red flag? Ironically, it has been my strongest section throughout my prep. Not sure what happened.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

For most everyone I've seen post scores (myself included), CARS really took a bite out of our balloons.
My advisor liked my score, and I'm going to play the chances and apply with my 504 and an HPE evaluation. Texas hasn't let me down my whole life, so here's hoping!

Reactions: 4 users
For most everyone I've seen post scores (myself included), CARS really took a bite out of our balloons.
My advisor liked my score, and I'm going to play the chances and apply with my 504 and an HPE evaluation. Texas hasn't let me down my whole life, so here's hoping!

I think there was an unfavorable curve. I thought the passages were relatively easy, and was expecting to kill it, but ended up with a 126. I guess a lot of people killed it.

516 (128/128/130/130) up from a 29 (8/10/11 PS/BS/VR) in my first attempt! Super happy about my improved PS/BS score but a little bummed (in the neurotic pre-med way) about my slight decrease (95th - 90th percentile) in CARS.

In any case, glad I (hopefully) never have to take this test again!
Congrats and beware! Much, much more challenging tests are in line but I am sure, in time you will conquer them as well.

Hey!

First...Congrats everyone on your scores and best of luck throughout the rest of the cycle!

I have been lurking on this forum for quite a while and I would just like to say that you guys are an amazing team.. I am at a point where I can definitely use some of your greatness!

So....Last year I got a 495 and this year I got a 502 (June 18th) and I am close to giving up. The chem section killed me (123) and my avg for that section is 127...But I expected that considering how hellish it was.
Anywho, I have already submitted my application bc I really didn't expect it to be this mediocre. I am signing up for a retake before I give up fully. Any advice/tips on what to do for the next month would be much appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

Do not give up!!

First, congrats on your improvement! 7 points is a big jump and I know you may be discouraged but the jump will show to the admissions council. For you and anyone else in your position, do not give up on yourself or this dream.

I am in a very similar position. I took the MCAT in January 2016 and scored a 495. It was six weeks after I graduated undergrad. I studied full-time in those six weeks but as you and many others know, that is not nearly enough time to prepare for this and I was not prepared what-so-ever but I took it anyways knowing the practice would be helpful. I signed up to retake it ASAP and took it June 2nd. I scored 499 (only a 4 pt jump...). I was heartbroken and still am. I studied my butt off and did not expect it to be THAT low. But upon reflection I was so burnt out and discouraged from my first exam and while I studied hard, I did not study well. Thinking about my score can still make me upset. Reading this forum and seeing how well everyone else did can make me feel stupid and upset. BUT I am constantly reminding myself that I cannot give up because my MCAT score does not define me. I am not naive and know that it is a very important aspect of the application and it will affect the decisions made by admissions councils. But there is nothing I can do about my past scores so from here on out I will be highlighting every other aspect of my application. And I recommend you do the same! Put your energy into making your secondaries perfect. Practice interviewing so that your potential interviews will be strong. DO NOT GIVE UP! Have faith that all the hard work you have put in thus far will pay off soon. Maybe you have to reapply next year, I may have to as well, but know this is what you want to do so do not let the MCAT bring you down.

As far as retaking the MCAT, I made the decision not to retake it this year. With my past two being so recent & mediocre, I don't feel that retaking it again in August/September will be super beneficial (unless I KILL it - but I cannot predict nor expect that). I have decided that if I do not hear anything as far as interviews/admissions by January then I will plan to retake it next April/May for the next application cycle. That gives me enough time to prepare without being burnt out from the previous retake.

What you do is up to you, but I wanted you to have another story to reference! I applied both MD (lightly/smart - no where that I am not competitive) and DO (again smart - some DO schools are very competitive as well!).

For all of you who scored well and where you wanted, congratulations! You should be proud of the hard work you put in to achieve that score. Best of luck to everyone!

Reactions: 6 users
Do not give up!!

First, congrats on your improvement! 7 points is a big jump and I know you may be discouraged but the jump will show to the admissions council. For you and anyone else in your position, do not give up on yourself or this dream.

I am in a very similar position. I took the MCAT in January 2016 and scored a 495. It was six weeks after I graduated undergrad. I studied full-time in those six weeks but as you and many others know, that is not nearly enough time to prepare for this and I was not prepared what-so-ever but I took it anyways knowing the practice would be helpful. I signed up to retake it ASAP and took it June 2nd. I scored 499 (only a 4 pt jump...). I was heartbroken and still am. I studied my butt off and did not expect it to be THAT low. But upon reflection I was so burnt out and discouraged from my first exam and while I studied hard, I did not study well. Thinking about my score can still make me upset. Reading this forum and seeing how well everyone else did can make me feel stupid and upset. BUT I am constantly reminding myself that I cannot give up because my MCAT score does not define me. I am not naive and know that it is a very important aspect of the application and it will affect the decisions made by admissions councils. But there is nothing I can do about my past scores so from here on out I will be highlighting every other aspect of my application. And I recommend you do the same! Put your energy into making your secondaries perfect. Practice interviewing so that your potential interviews will be strong. DO NOT GIVE UP! Have faith that all the hard work you have put in thus far will pay off soon. Maybe you have to reapply next year, I may have to as well, but know this is what you want to do so do not let the MCAT bring you down.

As far as retaking the MCAT, I made the decision not to retake it this year. With my past two being so recent & mediocre, I don't feel that retaking it again in August/September will be super beneficial (unless I KILL it - but I cannot predict nor expect that). I have decided that if I do not hear anything as far as interviews/admissions by January then I will plan to retake it next April/May for the next application cycle. That gives me enough time to prepare without being burnt out from the previous retake.

What you do is up to you, but I wanted you to have another story to reference! I applied both MD (lightly/smart - no where that I am not competitive) and DO (again smart - some DO schools are very competitive as well!).

For all of you who scored well and where you wanted, congratulations! You should be proud of the hard work you put in to achieve that score. Best of luck to everyone!
My first attempt was about the same score and just scheduled a retake in the next month. Dont know how it'll go in 1 month but just try my best. You guys just give me more energy. My other parts of the app would be okay except low MCAT. Hopefully, new MCAT will save my life

Members don't see this ad :)
Do not give up!!

Thank you for the inspiration! It's funny because I have the logic, but sometimes our emotions get the best of us. My main problem is finances and I am always working full time so, there is no such thing as taking a break to focus on the MCAT. However, that won't stop me from chasing after my dreams! If I make it I'll definitely be telling my story!

I wish best of luck to everyone.

So I'm freaking the **** out. I have all 3 sets of books: TBR/Kaplan/EK (and a bunch of random princeton). I did all of the TBR content review and didn't do their practice passages at the end of the chapters just so I would have something to go back to when I'm done content reviewing. Now that Im done reviewing, I'm going through Kaplan's and EK's back of the chapter's quizzes and doing them---and I'm doing horribly on them. My MCAT is in 35 days, and I don't know what is going on and if I should be freaking out or not. Shouldn't I have those questions down by now? Or are they just really specific?

So I'm freaking the **** out. I have all 3 sets of books: TBR/Kaplan/EK (and a bunch of random princeton). I did all of the TBR content review and didn't do their practice passages at the end of the chapters just so I would have something to go back to when I'm done content reviewing. Now that Im done reviewing, I'm going through Kaplan's and EK's back of the chapter's quizzes and doing them---and I'm doing horribly on them. My MCAT is in 35 days, and I don't know what is going on and if I should be freaking out or not. Shouldn't I have those questions down by now? Or are they just really specific?

For sciences (I can't speak in regards to CARS because I did bad) take some Altius full lengths.

Are you applying this cycle? Just curious...

It's CARS with 123...So I would just practice reading everyday from now until the test date, but this is my 2nd language though, so it's tough...

Dude same here English is my second language... How are you going to practice cars? I got 122 on cars from June 18th :(

Dude same here English is my second language... How are you going to practice cars? I got 122 on cars from June 18th :(

Ugh I feel you. I grew up learning English, Spanish, and Arabic as a kid and my parents spoke just their native languages in the household. I got totally demolished by CARS with a 123. So pissed :(

Ugh I feel you. I grew up learning English, Spanish, and Arabic as a kid and my parents spoke just their native languages in the household. I got totally demolished by CARS with a 123. So pissed :(

Are you retaking it? How are you gonna study?

I actually underestimated this part in the last time cuz I mostly focused on science. I would just read more passages to increase reading speed... wish they would either allow me to use translator or increase the time of this section to 3 hours so that I can hope for a better score :nailbiting:

I actually underestimated this part in the last time cuz I mostly focused on science. I would just read more passages to increase reading speed... wish they would either allow me to use translator or increase the time of this section to 3 hours so that I can hope for a better score :nailbiting:

did you struggle on that section/ran out of time during the exam or were you surprised by your score??
what did you score for CARS on the AAMC practice fl?

One thing that helped me on CARS was doing one or two passages a day. First I did them for accuracy, then I started timing them. I used this plus Kaplan's note-taking strategy for the two months, my CARS kept increasing then eventually leveled out around 127-128. It does tend to differ by person, but it never hurts to try.

Reading books, not scientific books, just regular novels throughout your life helps. Even if you're busy, just try and read a bit. When I start a book I can't put it down. It helped with having an innate understanding in CARS (130).

Am I alone? :(:(:(
Is there any of you who got mcat score lower than expected planning to retake in late August to apply this cycle?

Am I alone? :(:(:(
Is there any of you who got mcat score lower than expected planning to retake in late August to apply this cycle?

If you have a documented learning disability that renders you unable to complete the test in a certain amount of time you MAY be able to get special accomodations. It's very hard, and you have to provide documentation if you want extra time. You were saying you need extra time- is it purely bc of you being ESL or are there other factors?

If you have a documented learning disability that renders you unable to complete the test in a certain amount of time you MAY be able to get special accomodations. It's very hard, and you have to provide documentation if you want extra time. You were saying you need extra time- is it purely bc of you being ESL or are there other factors?
No, I took it on 6/18 but got a low score, so wanna spend a month reviewing then retake it in late Aug. That's why!
But as I've read so far from other posts, some of them said that's too late bc the score won't come out until sept. 20...so scared right now, but don't wanna give up in this cycle :nailbiting::nailbiting::nailbiting:
I already submitted primary in the last week and am waiting for it to be verified...

No, I took it on 6/18 but got a low score, so wanna spend a month reviewing then retake it in late Aug. That's why!
But as I've read so far from other posts, some of them said that's too late bc the score won't come out until sept. 20...so scared right now, but don't wanna give up in this cycle :nailbiting::nailbiting::nailbiting:
I already submitted primary in the last week and am waiting for it to be verified...

I'm just a pre-med haha so my advice isn't awesome. But do you think you will be able to improve 5 points higher by August? Do not rush just because you want to get in this cycle. I heard that if you retake the MCAT, you want to get 5 points higher than your previous test, otherwise it doesn't look very good to adcoms. If you were borderline, like 505 ish and want to get up to 509/510, and you feel like you can do it, go for it! Or if you were doing really bad on practice tests. But please think about delaying it. I dont' know what you got, but evaluate your study schedule.

I'm just a pre-med haha so my advice isn't awesome. But do you think you will be able to improve 5 points higher by August? Do not rush just because you want to get in this cycle. I heard that if you retake the MCAT, you want to get 5 points higher than your previous test, otherwise it doesn't look very good to adcoms. If you were borderline, like 505 ish and want to get up to 509/510, and you feel like you can do it, go for it! Or if you were doing really bad on practice tests. But please think about delaying it. I dont' know what you got, but evaluate your study schedule.
I think I could get a higher though, with more practices than the last time. What I'm considering is if it's too late? Some other posts said after Labor Day is considered too late. But if I take it on Aug. 20, I will get the score on Sept. 20, so the app will be complete to review after Sept. 20...Will there be spots after that time?

I think I could get a higher though, with more practices than the last time. What I'm considering is if it's too late? Some other posts said after Labor Day is considered too late. But if I take it on Aug. 20, I will get the score on Sept. 20, so the app will be complete to review after Sept. 20...Will there be spots after that time?

Honestly I have no clue. If you have a fantastic GPA and EC's you may have a shot. This is contingent on a very good mcat score. Remember, schools do rolling admissions, so you will be at a disadvantage.

I'm ESL as well you guys can do this! I made a post in the 509+ thread if you guys are interested. Although I don't have a killer CARS score I hope it'll help a little. However I do have to agree that August is not ideal for this cycle. It will put you very behind.

If it makes you feel better I am retaking 9/9 and still waiting for app to be verified.....It happens. I guess all you can do now is take it over and do better. Worst case scenario is that you would have to apply next cycle but if you do better you wouldn;t have to retake MCAT!

What's a 511 on the old mcat? I can't get a definitive answer...

I got this score also: 127/130/127/127. To get a more accurate picture, I compared my section scores to the final old MCAT percentiles, and it came out at slightly over 32 based on the old three sections. Since I was fairly balanced, I think that was the most accurate way for my score distribution. Not sure that it matters, since it's a whole new test anyway.

I got this score also: 127/130/127/127. To get a more accurate picture, I compared my section scores to the final old MCAT percentiles, and it came out at slightly over 32 based on the old three sections. Since I was fairly balanced, I think that was the most accurate way for my score distribution. Not sure that it matters, since it's a whole new test anyway.

Is there a major difference between a 511 and 512? I know the percentage for a 32 is 88%, and a 31 is 83%. A 512 is an 88% and a 511 is about a 85%, so I think it's between a 31-32. I hate having to convert all of this. It does suck that a 505 is a 29, yet a 512 is only a 32 :/

So the Texas turnaround must be superfast- my MCAT was processed by TMDAS yesterday and I already got screened secondaries to UT Austin and UT Rio Grande. I'm shocked and so humbled right now. I was so worried about how my gpa would look to adcoms, and this proves that it's not all about gpa/mcat. Good luck to all of you out there. You guys are like my MCAT family :love:

Yeah. I think it's between a 32 and a 33.
So the Texas turnaround must be superfast- my MCAT was processed by TMDAS yesterday and I already got screened secondaries to UT Austin and UT Rio Grande. I'm shocked and so humbled right now. I was so worried about how my gpa would look to adcoms, and this proves that it's not all about gpa/mcat. Good luck to all of you out there. You guys are like my MCAT family :love:

511-512 is between a 32 and a 33. I'd say your 512 is closer to 33 than mine and my 512 is closer to 32. Frustrating isn't it. When did you submit to TMDSAS btw? I submitted 7/11

On AMCAS, it still shows that my 6/18 exam is upcoming/recent test scores. Anyone also get this? I still clicked on "Yes" for any additional scores/recent test dates schools should expect

Yeah. I think it's between a 32 and a 33.

511-512 is between a 32 and a 33. I'd say your 512 is closer to 33 than mine and my 512 is closer to 32. Frustrating isn't it. When did you submit to TMDSAS btw? I submitted 7/11

I submitted early to mid June. I don't think I have a 33 though haha. A 32 was an 88% and a 512 is also a 88% haha. Oh well, it's just a point.

I submitted early to mid June. I don't think I have a 33 though haha. A 32 was an 88% and a 512 is also a 88% haha. Oh well, it's just a point.
I think it's close enough. Also keep in mind they'll see you individual section scores. So if you have a low psych score I think they might be more forgiving since its the newest and etc.

Is there a major difference between a 511 and 512? I know the percentage for a 32 is 88%, and a 31 is 83%. A 512 is an 88% and a 511 is about a 85%, so I think it's between a 31-32. I hate having to convert all of this. It does suck that a 505 is a 29, yet a 512 is only a 32 :/

A 511 is an 86th overall percentile for this year.

The reason that I used a percentile-to-percentile comparison of the sections is that the new test has a section that the old one doesn't.

From the sections, a 127=79th and a 130=98th, so I compared those section percentiles to the section percentiles from old scoring system. That gave me a 10/10/12.

Again, it's a new test so I don't think one can compare. I did it so I could tell people familiar with the old system what I received; that's it.

A 511 is an 86th overall percentile for this year.

The reason that I used a percentile-to-percentile comparison of the sections is that the new test has a section that the old one doesn't.

From the sections, a 127=79th and a 130=98th, so I compared those section percentiles to the section percentiles from old scoring system. That gave me a 10/10/12.

Again, it's a new test so I don't think one can compare. I did it so I could tell people familiar with the old system what I received; that's it.

So I got a 512 total, but got a 10, 13, 10 on the original 3. Would that be a 32 or 33 they count?