*Official June 2016 MCAT Thread*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

aalamruad

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey there everyone! Figured I'd start this thread since I recently started preparing for the June 18th MCAT. For those of you who are taking the June 2nd MCAT, June 18th MCAT, or still considering one of those two dates, feel free to post here with any questions, comments, concerns, or support you have to offer!

Good luck to you all! Let's crush it.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
So I got a 512 total, but got a 10, 13, 10 on the original 3. Would that be a 32 or 33 they count?

I don't know what adcoms will do. Heck - I've heard from them directly that they each take a slightly different approach to the new test, because it's so new. I just had to answer the all-to-common question of "so what's that on the old scale?" too many times.

I think we're splitting hairs, personally.

I don't know what adcoms will do. Heck - I've heard from them directly that they each take a slightly different approach to the new test, because it's so new. I just had to answer the all-to-common question of "so what's that on the old scale?" too many times.

I think we're splitting hairs, personally.

I just want to get into med school so I never have to worry about the MCAT haha
Good news is that I never have to do orgo or physics again yay

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Should I retake a 511 with 129 123 132 and 127?
Hi! I think you should if you think you can score either the same or better in the other sections. 123 is very low for CARS. I think this is great for DO. Also, congratulations on your score. You did very well!
It's CARS with 123...So I would just practice reading everyday from now until the test date, but this is my 2nd language though, so it's tough...
If its your second language, I would explain that in secondaries in the "optional essay" and in interviews if they ask. This info is also indicated in your primary. They cannot penalize you for being disadvantaged (taking this difficult test in your second tongue against a curve filled with native speakers). I heard adcoms understand this.

Should I retake a 511 with 129 123 132 and 127?

If were you, I'd contact schools directly and see how lenient they are about CARS given that English is not your first language. Unless you can definitely bring your CARS score up while maintaining such solid scores in your other sections, I think it's too risky. From what I've heard, it is frowned upon to retake and not have a substantial score increase. Your other sections are very strong, so I'd warn against a retake. But like I said, contact some schools. If they say that you're not competitive with a 123 in CARS (unlikely in my opinion), then you seemingly have no choice but to retake. I am imagine that this is not an uncommon occurrence. Congrats on the great overall score!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

This is a very fine idea.

If were you, I'd contact schools directly and see how lenient they are about CARS given that English is not your first language. Unless you can definitely bring your CARS score up while maintaining such solid scores in your other sections, I think it's too risky. From what I've heard, it is frowned upon to retake and not have a substantial score increase. Your other sections are very strong, so I'd warn against a retake. But like I said, contact some schools. If they say that you're not competitive with a 123 in CARS (unlikely in my opinion), then you seemingly have no choice but to retake. I am imagine that this is not an uncommon occurrence. Congrats on the great overall score!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Any TMDSAS submitters out there? I'm getting mixed signals on what to do for secondaries. Half the people say they send them to you, the other half (and the TMDSAS follow-up email said to go hunt them down. Someone help this app noob out.

Any TMDSAS submitters out there? I'm getting mixed signals on what to do for secondaries. Half the people say they send them to you, the other half (and the TMDSAS follow-up email said to go hunt them down. Someone help this app noob out.
El Paso, Lubbock, UT Rio, Dell, TCOM send you secondaries. Southwestern and Texas A&M are the only ones where you have to hunt them down on your own.

Check the TMDSAS link on secondaries. They're listed out on there!

You know, I'm really going to miss posting in this thread with all of you. I can't thank each of you enough for sharing your advice, good wishes, etc. I sincerely hope each of you gets in and excels at all you hope to do!

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
You know, I'm really going to miss posting in this thread with all of you. I can't thank each of you enough for sharing your advice, good wishes, etc. I sincerely hope each of you gets in and excels at all you hope to do!
I know... this thread was my crutch for the last couple weeks before the exam. All the stress, all the laughter... man. Going back to this thread and flipping through some old posts makes me realize just how far we've come

Oh. You know. Call out the known Adcoms on here and openly argue with them because you don't have the MCAT to obsess about anymore and you're clearly bored.
Haha while a lot of her posts were "annoying" to put it lightly, I didn't know that was grounds for being banned. If that were the case, half of sdn would be banned:D

Reactions: 3 users
My first attempt was about the same score and just scheduled a retake in the next month. Dont know how it'll go in 1 month but just try my best. You guys just give me more energy. My other parts of the app would be okay except low MCAT. Hopefully, new MCAT will save my life
Why not just wait? It's best to minimize the # of times you take it!

Question for anyone who cares to answer. How long does it take for schools to send out secondaries? I submitted recently and hope to be verified around August 20th give or take a few days. Im curious if anyone has an idea of when I should start seeing secondaries. Thanks guys.

I submitted Monday and have gotten e-mails about secondaries from ~5 schools, obviously none that are selective. I'm sure it depends on the school and once we are verified will receive the rest.

Anyone having any luck with schools this cycle?
Nothing here yet, but I'm in an smp so I'm not expecting anything until at least some of the smp grades have posted. Still have a few secondaries to complete, was considering not doing them, but think I'll end up panic submitting

I applied to 30 schools (25 MD, 5 DO), I got all of my DO secondaries in and working my way through MD while working full time. I'm feeling very overwhelmed but really want to get them done!

how is the SMP going? how many secondaries have you submitted so far? I did 14 MD, 8 DO, and can't bring myself to do any more.
I've submitted 10 and I have 3 more almost ready to go. That is half that I submitted on my primary, but I applied to a lot of schools that I had no business applying to as well so maybe it is fine that I skip the secondaries for those. SMP is going okay, I'm really happy with the program I chose, but 3 weeks in and I'm already behind. Logistically I didn't set myself up well, I moved to a state that I'd never been before the day before orientation and I had absolutely nothing for my apartment and it was really stressful. I think everything will be good once the first exam is done on Friday, but I wouldn't be behind if I didn't spend days setting my life up/shopping/assembling Ikea furniture.

Sigh. To not apply with a.. 513 was it? We live in very, very different worlds, my friend.
Whoa, how'd you remember??

And no, that wasn't why I didn't apply. I just felt overwhelmed with my relatively recent decision to switch to medicine from science and thought another year would be good for me. :)

Whoa, how'd you remember??

And no, that wasn't why I didn't apply. I just felt overwhelmed with my relatively recent decision to switch to medicine from science and thought another year would be good for me. :)

I may or may not have lived on this forum for a couple days this year...

I applaud that decision; I also applaud taking the MCAT at such an early stage... And scoring so well.

Absolutely nothing wrong with waiting -- sort of hating myself for rushing everything this year. Feel that I sold myself short by only studying 2 months for the MCAT... Paying for it not, but have to go through with this cycle because I started it.

Having worked two years as a medical scribe, I feel very ready for something new and wanted to submit this year regardless.

Internet ramble over. :)

Agree. No real luck this cycle (yet...hopefully). Our june 18th MCAT made me super behind because it was my first time taking, got cold feet waited until July to get my scores back THEN decided to add a bunch of schools. Complete at most by Aug 10th. Have a couple stragger secondaries, nothing dramatic, but two schools I really do want to finish 2 that are reaches and I have no confidence in... hate the what if feeling though... so we'll see what happens.

Good luck to you all though! Thanks for posting, encouraging, and everything. Not sure I would have survived w/o you guys

I may or may not have lived on this forum for a couple days this year...

I applaud that decision; I also applaud taking the MCAT at such an early stage... And scoring so well.

Absolutely nothing wrong with waiting -- sort of hating myself for rushing everything this year. Feel that I sold myself short by only studying 2 months for the MCAT... Paying for it not, but have to go through with this cycle because I started it.

Having worked two years as a medical scribe, I feel very ready for something new and wanted to submit this year regardless.

Internet ramble over. :)
Fair enough. I remember almost everything I read on here as well..haha

Thanks for both applauses. The MCAT process was really awful and stressful (as we all who subbed this thread know..) and even though I got a lower score than my practice, I'm glad it's over...

Wow! Did you work in school, or are you non-trad as well (I actually can't remember this time lol). That seems absolutely reasonable to apply then.

Aw miss you guys. Got a secondary from almost all my DO schools (24 so far), so busting through those. Im not hoping on anything until interviews.

Fair enough. I remember almost everything I read on here as well..haha

Thanks for both applauses. The MCAT process was really awful and stressful (as we all who subbed this thread know..) and even though I got a lower score than my practice, I'm glad it's over...

Wow! Did you work in school, or are you non-trad as well (I actually can't remember this time lol). That seems absolutely reasonable to apply then.

Basically trad, i.e applying this year but not in school; I've worked part-time for 3 out of 4 years as an undergrad, first as a hospital housekeeping, then added scribing the next year, then was holding 3 jobs at the time of my graduation because I added tutoring... Just ready for something new!

June 18th MCATer! I submitted 6/25, verified 7/22 but wasn't complete until 8/12 because I was waiting on my committee LOR. I have one II, which I'm quite happy about. I've completed 17 secondaries so far, but most of those didn't go in until during the first two weeks of August. I think we June MCAT folks ended up right in the thick of the application cycle - not too late but not too early either. Long wait ahead....

hey All! Just wanted to hear from those who have taken the MCAT: which study materials did you use and what did you like and did not like about it? Did they prepare you well for the test?

hey All! Just wanted to hear from those who have taken the MCAT: which study materials did you use and what did you like and did not like about it? Did they prepare you well for the test?

My biggest regret = focusing too much on content review.
I'm taking the beast on Sep 10, but I would advise you to focus on the the main concepts for every topic listed on the AAMC guide. Know the concepts to every bullet point and you will get a high score. I know I spent a lot of time memorizing details and forgetting some main concepts. Content review should take you no longer than 2 months. If I have to retake I know exactly what I am going to do differently.

I'm taking the beast on Sep 10, but I would advise you to focus on the the main concepts for every topic listed on the AAMC guide. Know the concepts to every bullet point and you will get a high score. I know I spent a lot of time memorizing details and forgetting some main concepts. Content review should take you no longer than 2 months. If I have to retake I know exactly what I am going to do differently.
I'll be contrarian, my biggest regret was not focusing more on content review. I knew I was a good test taker, my problem was filling in the gaps with knowledge. I'd recommend everyone take one full length fairly early on and seeing how comfortable they are with the format. I only ended up doing one actual full length once I realized I was okay with the test taking aspect of it.

Applied to 23 schools. 4 II's and one II wait list so far (AZCOM.) No bad news yet.

I felt triggered when this threads' notifications started going off as well. So many MCAT flashbacks. Thank god that's over.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Agreed. When I finished content review, I went through the foundational concepts from AAMC and made flash cards, making sure I understood them as I went through. Just the time spent making them gave me a good review. I used Nymerias/SN2 plan and it dedicates 2 months to content review and 1 month of just practice/review. I think both are really important.

Wow tbis thread... forgot all about my brother and sister in arms...wishing yall all the best!!!

I got my first rejection today from one of my top schools :( I hope we all receive some good news later in this cycle

Applied to 23 schools. 4 II's and one II wait list so far (AZCOM.) No bad news yet.

I felt triggered when this threads' notifications started going off as well. So many MCAT flashbacks. Thank god that's over.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Which MD did you apply to? I applied to 15, only gotten rejected from WVU thus far -- I think they screened my CARS.

Edit: Oh and university of kentucky screened me -- apparently you need a 512 MCAT to be OOS there! MSAR stats were misleading.