*~*~*~*Official Letters of Recommendation Questions Thread 2011-2012*~*~*~*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CougarMD

Come up screaming
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
This thread is for 2012 applicants (those who will be entering medical school in 2012) to ask questions about letters of recommendation.

Any separate threads in Pre-Allo dealing with this topic will be merged into this thread.

Before asking a question, PLEASE READ THE FAQ! It is quite possible that your question will have already been answered. If you think that you have a different take on a question in the FAQ, acknowledge this in your question; everyone in pre-allo will be much more likely to help you out if they think you've done due diligence.

Also, each thread has a search function. Please use it.

LOR Frequently Asked Questions

1. What kinds of letters do I need to apply to medical school?
For most schools, you need a MINIMUM of two letters from science professors, and 1 letter from a non-science professor. If you have done research, a letter from your PI is also recommended, especially at research-intensive schools. (If you know of any exceptions to this rule, feel free to post in this thread with citations and I will add them). Other letters that may be helpful: a letter from an employer who knows your skills well, a letter from a physician you shadowed/worked with who knows your skills well, a letter from a volunteer coordinator who knows your skills well. The key is that the letters be exceptional. A detailed letter that can give clear examples of why you are an excellent candidate for medical school will generally trump a tepid letter from a famous person. Every school is different. Please check each school's individual letter requirements by visiting their website.
1a. But doesn't every school have different letter requirements?
Yes, they do. Do your homework, buy an MSAR (I hear from this thread that the way to go is to buy online access because the hard copy is not as useful: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=811023), and look at the school websites. Also, AMCAS has a link to every school; use it and figure out what you need for the schools you're applying to. https://www.aamc.org/students/applying/amcas/participating_schools/
1b. But do I really really have to get X type of letter? (2 non-science, 1 science, a letter from my PI)
The short answer: yes. The long answer: Maybe...it depends on the school. No one on SDN can answer this for you. But the general rule in medical school admissions is do what you are told. Get the two science letters. If you can't...call the schools you're applying to and see if they will make an exception. But be aware that the answer may be no.

2. I am a non-traditional student and have been out of school for awhile. Can I get around the letter requirements?

The simple answer is probably no. If you are a non-traditional student, this doesn't mean that you have an easier time getting into medical school; the same hoops still need to be jumped through. Being out of school for awhile is likely a problem in itself; schools want to see recent evidence that you can handle the coursework necessary to get through medical school. Take some classes, form relationships, and get the letters you need to. If you must, you can contact each school individually to see if they would be ok with you submitting alternate letters, but be aware that the answer may be "no".

3. My school has a medical school admissions committee, and they produce a committee letter. But the letter won't be released until really LATE! (August, September, October). Can I just skip the committee and collect my own letters?

The general wisdom on this topic is that if your school has a committee, USE IT! If you don't, you will be asked why and will need a very good reason. You are circumventing the committee at your own risk.

4. How/when can I submit letters of req to AMCAS?
Once the application opens in May, you may begin submitting letters to AMCAS. Before you can mail a letter in, you must "create' the letter in your AMCAS application. This involves you telling AMCAS who the letter writer is and naming the letter in AMCAS. AMCAS will then give this letter an ID number. It is important for you to give your letter writer both your AMCAS ID number and the Letter ID number to avoid any snafus with lost letters. Your letter writer can then mail the letter into AMCAS with these two pieces of information, and the letter will be uploaded to your file and will be available to assign to any school you wish. I am told that while AMCAS will accept documents without your AMCAS ID on them, you MUST have the Letter ID or AMCAS will not accept it. I don't have firsthand knowledge of whether or not this is true.

You can create and submit letters at any time, including after you submit your application and after you are verified. This is one of the few parts of the application you can edit after submission.

5. Do I have to know which letters are going to which school when I first submit my AMCAS application?

NO! You can submit your application without assigning letters. Again, this is one of the few parts of the application that can be altered later. HOWEVER, once you assign a letter to a school, you CANNOT un-assign it. If the letter is present in AMCAS, and you assign it to a school, it WILL go to that school. However, if you "create" the letter in AMCAS, assign it to a school, but your letter writer never sends the letter in, you can notify AMCAS (and the school, through the AMCAS application) that the letter will no longer be sent.

6. How many schools use the AMCAS Letter service?
This year, it looks like all but 5 schools that participate in AMCAS are participating in the letter service. Those non-participating schools are:
Duke University
Louisiana State University Health Sciences Center School of Medicinein Shreveport
Louisiana State University School of Medicine in New Orleans
Universidad Central Del Caribe
University of Puerto Rico School of Medicine.

The participating schools can be found here: https://www.aamc.org/students/applying/amcas/participating_schools/

7. Is it in my best interest to have my letter writers write different letters for each school?
Probably not. AMCAS can only hold a maximum of 10 letters for you. If you need a minimum of 3 letters for each school, these slots will be used up rather quickly.

8. What are letter services such as Interfolio, and why do people use them?
Interfolio and other companies provide secure online letter holding services. You can have your letters uploaded to these services at any time so that you're not scrambling at the last minute (or during the summer!) to get letters into your application. This can be especially beneficial when you are 9 months or so out from your planned application cycle, but know the professor you have NOW will write you a great letter. You can have them write the letter, upload it to a letter service, and then many months later have the letter sent to AMCAS once the application opens. When you do this, you have the ability to add on both your AMCAS ID and the Letter ID to the letter. All your letter writer needs to do is upload the letter (or mail it in) on letterhead and with a signature. These sites are secure and they do not allow you to read the letter beforehand.

9. What else about letters do I need to know?
Your letter must be SIGNED, and should be on OFFICIAL LETTERHEAD whenever possible. This is something that holds people up every year. Some schools will even hold up your application because of this. Also, AMCAS has a beautiful FAQ dealing with letters here: https://www.aamc.org/students/applying/amcas/faqs/146562/letters_questions_landing_page.html

10. How should I ask someone for a letter of req?
On this one, I will give my own experience. For each letter writer, I prepared a packet. In the packet I had:
A list of all of my science grades (or non-science grades for a non-science prof)
A copy of my resume
A rough draft of my personal statement
A guide to writing medical school letters (which can be found by googling), a reminder that the letter needed to be signed and on letterhead.

Before handing them this (because who wants all that before they even say yes!) I asked them point blank if they "would feel comfortable writing me a strong letter of recommendation for medical school". Always do this in person!!! If they hesitate...walk away. Seriously. You don't want this person writing your letter.

When they enthusiastically said yes, I pulled the packet out of my backpack and gave it to them.

Because I used Interfolio, I did not need to provide them with my AMCAS ID or Letter ID, but instead told them that they would get an email from Interfolio that evening with instructions on how to upload the letter. Give them a FIRM deadline (2-4 weeks seems to work best) for when you need the letter. Don't ask at the last minute. Don't ask when you think a billion other people will be asking. Do offer to provide them with any other supplementary information they would like. And do give them a thank-you note (and maybe a Starbucks card) when they submit the letter.

11. OMG! My letter writer has not written my letter!!! It has been minutes/hours/days/weeks/months and I'm freaking out!! What do I do!?
First, stop by or email and gently remind them that you need the letter by X date. If this doesn't work, I have given them a premature Thank-You note with a small token, and this seems to light a fire. I recommended this method to someone on SDN last year and it apparently worked like a charm.

If this isn't working....you do the same thing you do whenever something goes awry - find a plan B. Ask someone else...two other people even, just in case this person does not come through. You can't have too many letters. But you can have too few.

12. Do I have to waive my right to see the letters?

No. But if you don't schools might not see them as letters that carry much weight. Waive your right. If you know the person well enough, you should have a pretty good idea of what they are going to write.

13. If I apply this June, and I have given every school my 5 chosen LOR's with committee letter through AMCAS virtual evals upload by my prehealth office, and then I get anther LOR over the summer/fall and want to send it to all schools in December, do I have to have the prof mail it to all 25 schools or will AMCAS distribute it?

or, tl;dr: Can I submit my application without the letters?
You can add a letter at ANY time in AMCAS, have it sent to AMCAS, and AMCAS will distribute it.
You may want to shoot an email to each school letting them know to expect another letter just in case. They should be updating your file continuously (they will want your current contact info, and often people change their addresses mid cycle) but they may not always do it in a timely manner.

This thread is brought to you by the Pre-Allopathic Volunteer Staff. Ask away, and good luck!!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
As far as #3 goes, are applicants simply SOL if their pre-med committee does this?

Do you need to have them ready and submitted to AMCAS before AMCAS would forward your application to the schools...or are they needed later? In general, when should I have the letters all ready to go? I haven't received all the letters yet, and was wondering about the ideal timeline. Any advice?

Thanks for the merge.

Along the same lines...
So, are the letters NOT a part of the primary application? Does AMCAS just keep the letters and then you designate later? Do you only get to send the letters if you get the secondary?

So what if you're using interfolio? Id assume my letter writers just upload the electronic document. Now do they have to print it, sign it, scan it and then upload it?

you can tell the letter-writer to mail the LOR to interfolio right? That's how i prefer it, and I assume interfolio will upload it to your account when they receive it.

-I'm about to sign up for interfolio soon

So what if you're using interfolio? Id assume my letter writers just upload the electronic document. Now do they have to print it, sign it, scan it and then upload it?

They can do that.
A couple of my profs had an electronic version of their signature as an image file along with the letterhead (so they merely had to insert it).

Thus far, Interfolio has worked out well. For electronic submission, the document was in my account and ready to go within an hour after the prof clicked "submit".

As far as #3 goes, are applicants simply SOL if their pre-med committee does this?
When does your committee have the letter done?

Here is the deal. You can submit to AMCAS without having the letters. You can be complete and verified with AMCAS without the letters. The only thing you CAN'T do without the letters is be complete at the individual schools. But here is the thing; the timeline is such that it shouldn't matter that much for several reasons.

1 - anyone else who has a committee letter is in the same boat.
2 - even if you submit in June, you probably won't have all of your secondaries in your hands until at least mid July, maybe later. I was completely verified in June, had my app sent to all schools on June 25th, and still got secondaries as late as 8/10/2010 (Darn Oregon!). Harvard didn't send me one until 7/29/10. So then, you complete the secondary, and turn it in. Even if your letter isn't done until August 1st, it will get there pretty quickly.
3 - a lot of schools will begin reviewing your app without it. Iowa, Duke, Vanderbilt.....there are several.

My school didn't have a committee, so I can't speak to this, but hopefully some other people will chime in. Basically...there is still plenty for you to do besides worry about the committee letter.

Do you need to have them ready and submitted to AMCAS before AMCAS would forward your application to the schools...or are they needed later? In general, when should I have the letters all ready to go? I haven't received all the letters yet, and was wondering about the ideal timeline. Any advice?
No. AMCAS will not hold your application waiting for the letters. Hence this being one of the few parts of your application you can alter after submission.

You want the letters ready to go at about the time you send in your secondary to that schools so that each school will consider you complete.

Ideally, you want the letters ASAP so you don't have to worry about them. If you had them all by July 1st, you'd still be way ahead of the game. Even August 1st is pretty darn good for most schools.

Thanks for the merge.

Along the same lines...
So, are the letters NOT a part of the primary application? Does AMCAS just keep the letters and then you designate later? Do you only get to send the letters if you get the secondary?
The letters, once designated to a school, are AUTOMATICALLY sent.

So, you could do a few things. you could have the letters sent to AMCAS but not designate them to any schools. Or you could have them designated only to certain schools. Or to all schools. This is something you manually do. Just creating the letter in AMCAS (getting a letter ID) and having the letter sent to AMCAS does NOT assign it to a school.

Yes. What Frazier said:)
It is a pain, but seriously, you don't want your letter kicked back for no signature. It happened to me and a friend of mine at BU.

Also, you can have them mail the letter in.

I know this all sounds complicated guys, but once you see the app, it really isn't that bad. Truly.

My best advice:
1 - Do not assign a letter to a particular school until AMCAS actually has received the letter. I had a superflous letter writer totally disappear on me, and had to retract a letter from a couple of schools. Super annoying.
2 - Use Interfolio, it is awesome and delivery is almost instantaneous to AMCAS. Pay for the 2 year subscription so that halfway through the cycle when you're panicking (like most of us do), this isn't one more thing for you to worry about.

does anyone know what the deal is with graduate students? i'm currently in a graduate program and am not sure exactly what i need to do because some schools require different things.

also, i read that for some schools, if you're a graduat student applying they want a letter from the dean (which is IMPOSSIBLE to get) - so i was wondering what the deal is with that...i asked the career person at my school and they said usually they're looking for a composite letter (which my school definitely doesn't do for graduate students). any thoughts?

thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad :)
Really helpful information, thanks!

I've been stressing about my committee getting their act together, as they are infamously late with letters. I had no idea secondary apps are received so late. I'm taking the MCAT 6/16 and then I have to wait about a month for my scores, but how does verification fit into this? Assuming I have my primary completed and ready to submit when I get my scores back, does that mean that after I submit I have to wait to be verified? If so, how long does that generally take?

When does your committee have the letter done?

Here is the deal. You can submit to AMCAS without having the letters. You can be complete and verified with AMCAS without the letters. The only thing you CAN'T do without the letters is be complete at the individual schools. But here is the thing; the timeline is such that it shouldn't matter that much for several reasons.

1 - anyone else who has a committee letter is in the same boat.
2 - even if you submit in June, you probably won't have all of your secondaries in your hands until at least mid July, maybe later. I was completely verified in June, had my app sent to all schools on June 25th, and still got secondaries as late as 8/10/2010 (Darn Oregon!). Harvard didn't send me one until 7/29/10. So then, you complete the secondary, and turn it in. Even if your letter isn't done until August 1st, it will get there pretty quickly.
3 - a lot of schools will begin reviewing your app without it. Iowa, Duke, Vanderbilt.....there are several.

My school didn't have a committee, so I can't speak to this, but hopefully some other people will chime in. Basically...there is still plenty for you to do besides worry about the committee letter.
My school is pretty vague about it, but I have heard around August for the most part. Would it be a smart idea to just pre-write the secondary essays for the schools I am thinking of applying to (the prompts are usually posted on SDN, right?) even if I don't know whether I will receive a secondary or not?

This year I took college classes part time (first year of college) while volunteering in the ER. I will have around 500 hours of volunteering before I go away to college. Should I ask for the LOR now?... if I ask in 5 years it might not even be the same nurses or doctors working there and they probably won't even remember me... how does this work? Thanks.

Hello all,

I know this has been gone over quite a bit, but I'm still a bit confused even after reading through several threads as to how many letters are too many.

My advisor recommends sending 3 letters of recommendation, but I have 6 very strong letters. And, based on the threads here, 6 seems to be okay. However, my advisor thinks sending more than 3 will leave a bad impression with ADCOMS.

Should I send all 6, or send 5 and save 1 for an update letter? Or just send 3 (of which I will have a hard time choosing).

Thanks for your help!

Hello all,

I know this has been gone over quite a bit, but I'm still a bit confused even after reading through several threads as to how many letters are too many.

My advisor recommends sending 3 letters of recommendation, but I have 6 very strong letters. And, based on the threads here, 6 seems to be okay. However, my advisor thinks sending more than 3 will leave a bad impression with ADCOMS.

Should I send all 6, or send 5 and save 1 for an update letter? Or just send 3 (of which I will have a hard time choosing).

Thanks for your help!

I don't believe sending more than the required number of letters will necessarily annoy adcoms or put you at a disadvantage, provided that the letters are all meaningful and varied in nature. When I say varied, I mean either the background of the letter writer, or the way in which you interacted with them. If this the case, each of the letters will hopefully add something new and relevant to your application. However, if the vast majority of your letters are, say, from science professors all of whom you knew simply through class, you might choose to be more selective.

One thing to note is that some school will have posted maximums for the number of letters they'll accept. For those schools, it's highly recommended that you only submit up to the max # of letters they ask for, or verify with the admissions office that more letters are fine.

Also, unless this has gotten revamped since last year, you can also vary which and how many letters you send to each school. Depending on your application and the content of your letters, you might vary it by sending certain letters to certain schools.

Good luck!

This year I took college classes part time (first year of college) while volunteering in the ER. I will have around 500 hours of volunteering before I go away to college. Should I ask for the LOR now?... if I ask in 5 years it might not even be the same nurses or doctors working there and they probably won't even remember me... how does this work? Thanks.

Its always a good idea to ask for letters of rec when you feel like you have had enough of an experience and feel confident that your writer will be able to write a personal letter for you. Since you spent a substantial amount of time already, it's definitely advisable to ask for the letter now while you still have specific connections.

In terms of storing, most schools have letter services through the career center or such where you can store your letters. There's also Interfolio, though I never used it so I'm not too sure how it works

This thread is amazing, thank you. I know you literally said this but I just want to confirm--if we are using Interfolio, our letter writers don't need to put our AMCAS ID anywhere on the letter, right? They just upload according to the email request we send them, and since our Interfolio account "knows" our AMCAS ID, they don't need to worry about anything except signing and letterhead?

Hi guys!
thanks for setting up this thread! :)
I have a dilemma right now on which I need your wise advice/input!

I was just wondering in regards to my clinical volunteer experience, would it be better to ask a nurse that has seen the way I interact with patients and with other staff and with whom I feel totally comfortable with, or would it be better to ask the attending physician whom I do not feel as comfortable around, but has seen me (to a lesser extent) interact with him and others? I feel like the nurses are my buddies, whereas the doc is more... well, busy and less available, but still pretty nice and helpful when he does seem more free... However, my relationship with him is definitely not as strong, and is pretty early and in the formal stage.

Thank you again so so much!

does anyone know what the deal is with graduate students? i'm currently in a graduate program and am not sure exactly what i need to do because some schools require different things.

also, i read that for some schools, if you're a graduat student applying they want a letter from the dean (which is IMPOSSIBLE to get) - so i was wondering what the deal is with that...i asked the career person at my school and they said usually they're looking for a composite letter (which my school definitely doesn't do for graduate students). any thoughts?

thanks in advance!
Only a few schools have this requirement...I think Drexel is one of them. I will tell you what I will tell everyone else, BUY AN MSAR! Seriously:) And stalk school websites. It is not as big of a deal as you think; many schools won't care about a dean letter. But a letter from a current prof would really help.

Composite letters are for people who are in undergrads and have a pre-med committee who does composite/committee letters. This isn't you. Collect the best letters you can. You are going to do everything in the FAQ; try to get 2 science letters, 1 non-science letter, and any other letters that you think would be helpful.

Really helpful information, thanks!

I've been stressing about my committee getting their act together, as they are infamously late with letters. I had no idea secondary apps are received so late. I'm taking the MCAT 6/16 and then I have to wait about a month for my scores, but how does verification fit into this? Assuming I have my primary completed and ready to submit when I get my scores back, does that mean that after I submit I have to wait to be verified? If so, how long does that generally take?

If you wait until after your scores to submit, yes, you will be waiting awhile to be verified. I don't know exactly how long it took in mid-July to be verified (this is when you would submit, since your scores would be coming out then) but it was upwards of about 3-4 weeks. You can search for the official AMCAS Verification thread from last year and see.

Way to get around this:
1 - Apply to only one school (a school you can't get into...like an out of state school that doesn't take out of state applicants) and get verified. Then, once your MCAT is in, you can add any other schools you want, and your app would (almost) immediately be sent to those schools. I say almost because some schools only download from the server on certain days of the week, etc. But it is basically instant.

2 - Pick all of your schools irrespective of your MCAT score and submit.

If you're going to submit pre-MCAT, which is a risk (if your score was horrible and you decide not to apply this year because of it, you would be considered a re-applicant next year) then the best way is option 1.

If you are scoring on your practice tests about where you want to score...I personally would take the risk and go with option 1.

My school is pretty vague about it, but I have heard around August for the most part. Would it be a smart idea to just pre-write the secondary essays for the schools I am thinking of applying to (the prompts are usually posted on SDN, right?) even if I don't know whether I will receive a secondary or not?
Yeah, you can pre-write secondaries for sure.

There are only a handful of schools that screen secondaries. The ones that come to mind are all of the UCs (UCLA, UCSD, UCI, UCSF, UC Davis, and I suppose this year....UC Riverside) and Vanderbilt. Most other schools will generally give you a secondary no matter what. The question is when.

If you want to know specifically what schools screen, I highly recommend that every applicant buy a copy of the MSAR. Seriously. Do this. Do it now. SO MANY questions in Pre-allo would never happen if people just bought an MSAR:)
This thread is amazing, thank you. I know you literally said this but I just want to confirm--if we are using Interfolio, our letter writers don't need to put our AMCAS ID anywhere on the letter, right? They just upload according to the email request we send them, and since our Interfolio account "knows" our AMCAS ID, they don't need to worry about anything except signing and letterhead?

This is a really good question; I will clear this up in the FAQ as well. In Interfolio, when you have a letter sent, you are able to attach both your AMCAS ID and the Letter ID to any letter you send. So no, the letter writer only needs to worry about the letterhead and signature.

If you are 5 years out from applying....stop worrying about letters. Worry about getting into college, having fun, finding things you're passionate about, and getting good grades.

You will be a different human even in 3 years. You will be able to find someone to write you a letter later. Seriously.....focus on life for now. If you see everything as a step toward medical school, you will not be a very well developed person, which is a necessity if you are going to care for others.

Also....a quick thank-you to all of you who are posting in this thread instead of starting new threads or bumping old ones, reading the FAQ, and asking good questions. A lot of people lurk and will appreciate the information you are teasing out.

And to all of the people who said thank you for this thread...you're welcome :D

If you wait until after your scores to submit, yes, you will be waiting awhile to be verified. I don't know exactly how long it took in mid-July to be verified (this is when you would submit, since your scores would be coming out then) but it was upwards of about 3-4 weeks. You can search for the official AMCAS Verification thread from last year and see.

Way to get around this:
1 - Apply to only one school (a school you can't get into...like an out of state school that doesn't take out of state applicants) and get verified. Then, once your MCAT is in, you can add any other schools you want, and your app would (almost) immediately be sent to those schools. I say almost because some schools only download from the server on certain days of the week, etc. But it is basically instant.

2 - Pick all of your schools irrespective of your MCAT score and submit.

If you're going to submit pre-MCAT, which is a risk (if your score was horrible and you decide not to apply this year because of it, you would be considered a re-applicant next year) then the best way is option 1.

If you are scoring on your practice tests about where you want to score...I personally would take the risk and go with option 1.

Question about the reapplicant thing - if you did the one school AMCAS, and saw your MCAT was 10 instead of a 38 like you planned, and you had only submitted to one school - would you be a reapplicant next cycle to all MD schools or only that one?

For #1, I have: 2 letters from science professors, 1 letter from a PI (at a different institution, she was never "my" professor) and 1 letter from my supervisor in Teach for America describing my work.

Do I need to get a letter from a non-science professor, or will these letters be good for most schools?

So, I understand that AMCAS has the capacity to accept 10 LORs, but is it wise to utilize all 10 spots? I also understand that one can send specific LORs to individual schools, but with only 10 spots and more than 10 schools to which I am applying, sending specific LORs to each school is not possible. So....if I were to send the same LORs to every school, and I had 10 worthy (no fluff) LORs from physicians, the director of Anesthesia, science teachers, non-science teachers, a hospital administrator :), etc would I be over doing it???

So, I understand that AMCAS has the capacity to accept 10 LORs, but is it wise to utilize all 10 spots? I also understand that one can send specific LORs to individual schools, but with only 10 spots and more than 10 schools to which I am applying, sending specific LORs to each school is not possible. So....if I were to send the same LORs to every school, and I had 10 worthy (no fluff) LORs from physicians, the director of Anesthesia, science teachers, non-science teachers, a hospital administrator :), etc would I be over doing it???

10 to a single school is definitely overdoing it.

i would say the limit is 5 letters with 2 being science faculty. I have 4 letters for my application this summer

tldr the entire thread, so I don't know if someone already said this...

When using interfolio, your writer has the ability to sign the letter electronically (using their mouse). Alternatively, they can mail in the letter.

Two more benefits to using interfolio, that were not mentioned in the OP, are:

1) the letters are saved in case you need to re-apply (amcas will not save your letters).

2) Interfolio will check your letters and note whether or not they are signed and on letterhead. Amcas will do this for you, but you have to call and ask them to check your letters.

10 is too many. I used 5 letters: 2 sci profs, 1 non-sci prof, research mentor, and a physician I worked with (paid employment) for 5 years. My recommendation is to use 5 maximum.

I have two science letters and one research, but my non-science could be a mediocre. I only took one course with her and she was asking me when did I take this. :eek:
She finished letter too quickly only in 10 days.
Unfortunately, my other non-science courses were taught by grad students. :(

She said this after reading my ps..
Your statement is very impressive! I was already impressed with
you, but I was touched to read about the stories in your letter. The
two that had the biggest impact on me were about you volunteering to
help translate at the hospital and about the the young man whose life
you have positively influenced. You really are an amazing young man!
Yes, I have your letter finished. I just need you to remind me
when you took the SPA program with me so I can include that in the letter.
:eek:

My other candidates are

(1) chemistry professor whom I didn't take course with but he goes to same church with me and we play tennis together a lot.
(2) my another research prof who did experiments with me

inb4movetoofficiallorthread

Some schools explicitly require a non-science letter, so for these schools you're stuck. At all others I'd go with the other research prof.

inb4movetoofficiallorthread

Some schools explicitly require a non-science letter, so for these schools you're stuck. At all others I'd go with the other research prof.

However, isnt this a bit redundant??

I feel like my post got ignored, so I'll repost/edit it:

Hi SDN! :)

I was just wondering in regards to my clinical volunteer experience, would it be better to ask a nurse that has seen the way I interact with patients and with other staff and with whom I feel totally comfortable with and whom im pretty sure will write alot of positive things, or would it be better to ask the official volunteer committee (consists of 2 volunteer leads and a physician) whom I rarely see. However, they do take input from the leads based on attendance (i missed a few shifts..) and performance on the floor by talking to the ed staff (depends on who they talk to, but confident that it wont be negative).

Yea, im not sure if its better to be more "official" through the volunteer committee, or if its better to be less official and ask one of the nurses? So unsure of what to do right now!

I agree. You only need three letters, I thought you were asking us to choose between the two suggested sources. No reason to add a fourth for the sake of adding another letter.

true. my 2nd research prof is definitely the better candidate since he witnessed how I performed lab techniques.

Are schools really that adamant about the 2 science/1 non-science letters? And will having chemistry, neuroscience, and ecology LORs sink your application as opposed to letters from chemistry, neuroscience, and anthropology professors? Granted, I'm certain you don't want to stick out like a sore thumb, but I notice there are far more concerns lately about what kind of letter counts for what as opposed to... is the letter actually strong and well-written.

Are schools really that adamant about the 2 science/1 non-science letters?
Some, yes.

And will having chemistry, neuroscience, and ecology LORs sink your application...
No, but I still suggest getting a non-science LOR (as well as one from a clinical experience and/or research). This will give you more options when applying.

When they say non-science, can you use social science, or is that stretching it?

I ask not to diss social sciences, but because I'm actually going to be in a situation where I won't have taken any strictly non-science classes for 5+ years at my time of application.

Ok, so narrowing it down to only 5 LOR's will be hard (especially when 3 are from my school). So here is what I think:

2 - science teachers
1 - non-science
1 - Director of Education at the hospital where I teach classes (Advanced Cardiac Life Support, BLS, etc.) He is only a nurse, but he is the head of Staff education and training at my hospital and already wrote me a letter of rec a year ago for something else. He said I was the strongest corpsman with the most clinical knowledge of any he has seen, so I don't want to not include a letter from him.

I guess this only leaves one other letter and I am guessing it must be from a doctor. I work with soo many, would it be better to get the head Director for a Department (ie the Director of Anesthesia) or would it be better to get a doctor who knows me extremely well and would write a phenomenal letter of rec (im sure the director would write a decent one as well). ....or should I include both of these letters for a total of 6 letters?

Please tell me what you guys think. Thanks!!

Is it okay to have:
1 research letter
1 science letter
1 non science letter

I'm missing the second science letter, but my research letter is in a science field but I'm guessing that doesn't count? Should I seek out a fourth letter to have two science letters?

I feel like my post got ignored, so I'll repost/edit it:

Hi SDN! :)

I was just wondering in regards to my clinical volunteer experience, would it be better to ask a nurse that has seen the way I interact with patients and with other staff and with whom I feel totally comfortable with and whom im pretty sure will write alot of positive things, or would it be better to ask the official volunteer committee (consists of 2 volunteer leads and a physician) whom I rarely see. However, they do take input from the leads based on attendance (i missed a few shifts..) and performance on the floor by talking to the ed staff (depends on who they talk to, but confident that it wont be negative).

Yea, im not sure if its better to be more "official" through the volunteer committee, or if its better to be less official and ask one of the nurses? So unsure of what to do right now!

Hey, I think no one has answered this one because...it may be a little unanswerable. It really is a judgement call.

I can tell you, after reading letters of rec, and talking to my best friend who reads letters of rec for PhD students (at an Ivy, for what it is worth) we are both MUCH more impressed by a thoughtful, well organized, detailed (but not necessarily LONG) letter about your strengths with specific examples than we are a thumbs-sideways mediocre letter from someone with "better" credentials.

It really is going to be your call. If I were you...I'd choose the nurse. Others on here would choose the doctor. Go with your gut.

Someone like LizzyM may want to weigh in on this one as well.

When they say non-science, can you use social science, or is that stretching it?

I ask not to diss social sciences, but because I'm actually going to be in a situation where I won't have taken any strictly non-science classes for 5+ years at my time of application.
A social science prof is actually exactly the kind of letter they're talking about. Usually in these classes you are writing papers or essays, and this professor will have a different take on your skills than a science professor.

Ok, so narrowing it down to only 5 LOR's will be hard (especially when 3 are from my school). So here is what I think:

2 - science teachers
1 - non-science
1 - Director of Education at the hospital where I teach classes (Advanced Cardiac Life Support, BLS, etc.) He is only a nurse, but he is the head of Staff education and training at my hospital and already wrote me a letter of rec a year ago for something else. He said I was the strongest corpsman with the most clinical knowledge of any he has seen, so I don't want to not include a letter from him.

I guess this only leaves one other letter and I am guessing it must be from a doctor. I work with soo many, would it be better to get the head Director for a Department (ie the Director of Anesthesia) or would it be better to get a doctor who knows me extremely well and would write a phenomenal letter of rec (im sure the director would write a decent one as well). ....or should I include both of these letters for a total of 6 letters?

Please tell me what you guys think. Thanks!!
As always, get the BEST LETTER YOU CAN. Get a phenomenal letter. Seriously.

Is it okay to have:
1 research letter
1 science letter
1 non science letter

I'm missing the second science letter, but my research letter is in a science field but I'm guessing that doesn't count? Should I seek out a fourth letter to have two science letters?
As stated above (and will now be put in the FAQ) some schools really are hardcore about the 2 science letters and 1 non-science letter. If you want to know if it is ok, ask the schools you're applying to.

If I apply this June, and I have given every school my 5 chosen LOR's with committee letter through AMCAS virtual evals upload by my prehealth office, and then I get anther LOR over the summer/fall and want to send it to all schools in December, do I have to have the prof mail it to all 25 schools or will AMCAS distribute it?

Status
Not open for further replies.