*~*~*~*Official Letters of Recommendation Questions Thread 2012-2013*~*~*~*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
There is no way I could have read thru this entire thread, so I'm just going to ask...

Does the non-science prof LOR have to be from someone you had a class with? My boss (tutoring coordinator) is also a history professor and I'm sure he would write me a nice LOR, but I've never taken any of his classes and probably won't be able to. I guess I could ask my music or french professors, but I really wanted a letter from my boss. Thoughts?

Edit: Also, does the letter have to be from a professor? My anatomy teacher has a Master's only.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hi Everyone, I hope to apply to Medical school this year and this is my first SDN post!!
Anyway, my question is: Since a professor could be writing one recommendation letter for many schools, how should the professor address the letter?

Do letters of recommendation need to be written specifically for medical school? I'm taking a couple years off, so I'm going to need LORs for clinical research positions long before medical school, and I seriously doubt my letter writers would be happy about having to write two different letters. I'd obviously be getting newer LORs from my PI and the volunteering I do in my gap years, but these are from my current science teachers.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys, I'm in an odd predicament. I graduated nearly 2 years ago and live about 2 hours from my university. I was originally just planning on getting letters from only my PIs (have 3 plus 1 supervisor) since I'm going MD/PhD and heard they don't care too much about other letters, but now I'm hearing that I probably should have the usual 2 science teachers/1 non-science teacher combo in addition to all PI letters.

So a few questions:

- Does the committee letter truly supercede any school's requirements? Such that if I have 4 research LORs and nothing else attached to my composite letter schools won't mind? Or do they still want to see the 2 sci/1 non-sci LORs attached to the composite letter?

- Would a cognitive psychology professor count as "non-science"?

- How should I go about asking for letters in this case? I can't go to a professor's office out of the blue since that means a 4 hour round trip with a very high risk that they won't even be there when I arrive (not to mention I'd have to take off time from work to do that). Do I call them out of the blue? Send an email?

- With the science letters I have three choices: A professor from a biochem course I just took last semester and slaughtered (final grade: 102, won a poster competition in the class, was one of the only people answering questions during lecture) but I took that class at a no-name, low ranked college. Another is my professor from a journal club-like class I took at my top 20 university two years ago who seemed to like me pretty well and who I hope would still remember me. To my knowledge I had the highest grade in the class which a lot of people struggled with. Finally, I have a professor from a small (8 people) graduate class I took two years ago at my top 20 and got an A- in. I don't think I stood out too much there, but since the class size was so small and since that class only gets taught every other year I think there's a chance he might still remember me. Which would you guys pick?

- With the non-science letter I don't have any good options. I think my best is my cog psych professor from two years ago, but I'd be shocked if he still knows who I am. The other is my Japanese professor from 3 years ago who has already written me an LOR for something unrelated in the past (I have no idea how good it was, but she seemed to think it was pretty good); thing is, I got a B+ in that class. Beyond that it's all people who sure as hell don't remember me (classes taken 4-5 years ago).

- Is there any value in getting a letter from my major adviser? She was on my thesis committee and I went to her office a lot; also used her as a reference when looking for jobs. Never had her for a class though.

so i go to a UC. I ran into a bit of an issue while looking for someone to write my non-science letter.

one of our writing classes is taught by PhD students only. I wanted that instructor for my non-science letter of rec because i know she knows me really really well. (i took it freshmen year and i contacted her recently and she still remembers me)

but anyway, I was trying to get the director (who is a professor with a PhD) to co-sign it and she's on a break... so she told me to get it signed from an assistant director (who is currently working as the director). so i looked up her position and the assistant director seems to be an academic coordinator..? and i couldn't find any information whether she was a professor/had a PhD etc.

so now i'm hesitant on whether i should get this letter or not. i mean would it even qualify as a non-science letter? i could get a letter from another non-science professor... it's just i feel that they don't know me as well.. @.@. so.. advices?

Hey guys, I'm in an odd predicament. I graduated nearly 2 years ago and live about 2 hours from my university. I was originally just planning on getting letters from only my PIs (have 3 plus 1 supervisor) since I'm going MD/PhD and heard they don't care too much about other letters, but now I'm hearing that I probably should have the usual 2 science teachers/1 non-science teacher combo in addition to all PI letters.

So a few questions:

ask away

- Does the committee letter truly supercede any school's requirements? Such that if I have 4 research LORs and nothing else attached to my composite letter schools won't mind? Or do they still want to see the 2 sci/1 non-sci LORs attached to the composite letter?

Since you are you going for both MD/PhD, and since most schools that goes past separate admissions committees, you should include the 2 sci/1 non-sci letters

- Would a cognitive psychology professor count as "non-science"?

Psych professor would be fine as your non-sci

- How should I go about asking for letters in this case? I can't go to a professor's office out of the blue since that means a 4 hour round trip with a very high risk that they won't even be there when I arrive (not to mention I'd have to take off time from work to do that). Do I call them out of the blue? Send an email?

you write a very nice email, asking for a STRONG letter of support, with a brief outline of what you did with the prof, what class, how well, etc. Something along the lines of "you may recall I was in your class in this term, was active participant in class, received an "A" grade." Also include briefly your overall plans along the lines of "I am applying for MD/PhD in hopes of doing/continuing research in the field of..." Followup with phone call and/or email, etc

- With the science letters I have three choices: A professor from a biochem course I just took last semester and slaughtered (final grade: 102, won a poster competition in the class, was one of the only people answering questions during lecture) but I took that class at a no-name, low ranked college. Another is my professor from a journal club-like class I took at my top 20 university two years ago who seemed to like me pretty well and who I hope would still remember me. To my knowledge I had the highest grade in the class which a lot of people struggled with. Finally, I have a professor from a small (8 people) graduate class I took two years ago at my top 20 and got an A- in. I don't think I stood out too much there, but since the class size was so small and since that class only gets taught every other year I think there's a chance he might still remember me. Which would you guys pick?

The weight of the professor/school wont be worth much if the prof doesnt know you well and/or writes bland letter. Who would write you the STRONGEST LOR?

- With the non-science letter I don't have any good options. I think my best is my cog psych professor from two years ago, but I'd be shocked if he still knows who I am. The other is my Japanese professor from 3 years ago who has already written me an LOR for something unrelated in the past (I have no idea how good it was, but she seemed to think it was pretty good); thing is, I got a B+ in that class. Beyond that it's all people who sure as hell don't remember me (classes taken 4-5 years ago).

B+ in Japanese is fine. Certainly a difficult language for a non native-speaker. Again strength of recommendation

- Is there any value in getting a letter from my major adviser? She was on my thesis committee and I went to her office a lot; also used her as a reference when looking for jobs. Never had her for a class though.

Sounds like she knows you well and I presume she was a science prof. Again, strong letter is most important

so i go to a UC. I ran into a bit of an issue while looking for someone to write my non-science letter.

one of our writing classes is taught by PhD students only. I wanted that instructor for my non-science letter of rec because i know she knows me really really well. (i took it freshmen year and i contacted her recently and she still remembers me)

but anyway, I was trying to get the director (who is a professor with a PhD) to co-sign it and she's on a break... so she told me to get it signed from an assistant director (who is currently working as the director). so i looked up her position and the assistant director seems to be an academic coordinator..? and i couldn't find any information whether she was a professor/had a PhD etc.

so now i'm hesitant on whether i should get this letter or not. i mean would it even qualify as a non-science letter? i could get a letter from another non-science professor... it's just i feel that they don't know me as well.. @.@. so.. advices?

get the PhD student to write, get the coordinator to cosign, dont get so hung up on the titles, position etc. Strength of recommendation is worth more

Do letters of recommendation need to be written specifically for medical school? I'm taking a couple years off, so I'm going to need LORs for clinical research positions long before medical school, and I seriously doubt my letter writers would be happy about having to write two different letters. I'd obviously be getting newer LORs from my PI and the volunteering I do in my gap years, but these are from my current science teachers.

Yes, they are going to have to write two letters or even more...

After your few years off, are you going to use the premed committee from the school your currently in (and I assume your are graduating from)? If so, have the profs submit letters to the committee now. But If the letters are more than say 3 or years old when you apply, you may need them refreshed. I dont recall if some schools have LOR requirements within a certain period of time but you need to keep that in mind.

Hi, I am new to this forum. I was just wondering about letters of recommendation from a donor to the school. My family is close with someone who recently donated 150 million to the university's medical center, so I was wondering whether it would be worth asking for a recommendation. How much would it affect my admission decision....

some decades ago that would have a been a sure ticket in. But now I am not sure if it will simply put a flag on your application to be extremely critical and thorough to defend any acceptance was not due to money.

That said, if you are close to this person, and they have kept up with your life, then you my consider letter. But a friend/family letter needs to be structured a little different. They need to talk of watching and hearing your success in college, in research, etc, It also needs to show info of commitment, motivation, that the letter writing has personal knowledge of or has heard from family

If I was able to get an additional letter for this cycle (mainly for a waitlisted school), should I have the letter writer email it to the school or do it through the AMCAS letter service?

I graduated in May '12

I only feel confident in one professor to write me a solid LOR. I did have a professor who told me point blank that he would write me a strong LOR, but I took his class two years ago... I think he may recognize me, however I doubt he remembers me.

Should I approach him anyway?

If I was able to get an additional letter for this cycle (mainly for a waitlisted school), should I have the letter writer email it to the school or do it through the AMCAS letter service?

Send it via AMCAS

From "Preparing for the 2014 AMCAS Cycle Webinar for Advisors"

the sections to which applicants can make post-submission changes to their submitted application been changed?

No changes have been made that effect where and how applicants can make post-submission changes. After the initial submission of their application, applicants may only make changes to the following information:

Letters of Evaluation (only additions of up to 10 letters and notifying AMCAS of a letter no longer being sent)

Members don't see this ad :)
I graduated in May '12

I only feel confident in one professor to write me a solid LOR. I did have a professor who told me point blank that he would write me a strong LOR, but I took his class two years ago... I think he may recognize me, however I doubt he remembers me.

Should I approach him anyway?

yes, you should write him an email along the lines of the below, reminding him of what you did. If you were an outstanding student you will be surprised how much you will be remembered

Dear D. Smith,

I am writing to ask for a strong letter of recommendation in support of my application to medical school which I will be applying for this summer.

As you may recall, i was in your class "Advanced whatever" in the spring term of 2010. In that class I was active in discussions, did well on on three exams, got an excellent score on final, and for my work you awarded me a A. You also may recall how we discussed my plans, my research, my work in the department

I won't be applying until June 2014. I'm a senior in undergrad (psych major) who realized too late that I want to go into medicine. I have two professors who could write strong LORs for me. The problem is, one of them is retiring at the end of this semester. Can I ask him to write me a LOR and somehow reserve it until I apply next year?

I won't be applying until June 2014. I'm a senior in undergrad (psych major) who realized too late that I want to go into medicine. I have two professors who could write strong LORs for me. The problem is, one of them is retiring at the end of this semester. Can I ask him to write me a LOR and somehow reserve it until I apply next year?

go to your prehealth committee and start a file. then have the professor submit to them. Additionally, just because he is retiring doesnt mean he will not submit a letter. Letters from professor emeritus are fine. speak to him now about keeping touch

yes, you should write him an email along the lines of the below, reminding him of what you did. If you were an outstanding student you will be surprised how much you will be remembered

Dear D. Smith,

I am writing to ask for a strong letter of recommendation in support of my application to medical school which I will be applying for this summer.

As you may recall, i was in your class "Advanced whatever" in the spring term of 2010. In that class I was active in discussions, did well on on three exams, got an excellent score on final, and for my work you awarded me a A. You also may recall how we discussed my plans, my research, my work in the department

Cool. Thanks.

Another question... Typically who does the author of the letter address the letter to? As in, "Dear, so and so" or "To whom it may concern." Is that information something I should include in my packet when I approach someone for a letter.

Another question... Typically who does the author of the letter address the letter to? As in, "Dear, so and so" or "To whom it may concern." Is that information something I should include in my packet when I approach someone for a letter.

It really doesnt matter. To whom it may concern is fine.

If I want to submit my application as soon as possible (June 4th?), when is the absolute latest that I need to get my letters uploaded?

HI everyone,
I have a question regarding letters/letter services. I'm a grad student currently.
I plan on getting letters from both of my undergrad and grad schools and already have a couple of letters stored in a letter service at my undergrad. Would it be ok for me to have my grad school professors send the letters to my undergrad letter service? Just curious if that seems like a good idea or to have them send it separately through my grad school letter service.

thanks.

I emailed a prof asking to set a meeting... they replied saying that they remembered who I was, and that we didn't need to meet, and to just send them the particulars.

Is this good?

From a med school standpoint, are extracurricular recommendations from MDs taken with more weight than those from say a PhD or other research mentors? I've heard people say that but am not sure whether it's actually true.

I have a few quick questions:

A PI LOR who has not taught you a regular course (I have received research units though) does not count as a science LOR?

A graduate student who was the instructor for the course counts as a legitimate LOR (he has now graduated with a PhD)?

A mathematics LOR is a science LOR?

Thanks everyone!

From a med school standpoint, are extracurricular recommendations from MDs taken with more weight than those from say a PhD or other research mentors? I've heard people say that but am not sure whether it's actually true.

It is the quality of the recommendation and its ability to demonstrate how the EC shows your motivation, commitment and/or achievement that matters. The length and depth of your relationship with the LOR writer will be more important than a simple title . Example: a strong recommendation from chemistry PhD discussing 2 year collaboration that produced a poster at a conference will likely count more than a near boiler plate one from an MD whom you shadowed for 25 hours.

I have a few quick questions:

Whats the prize

A PI LOR who has not taught you a regular course (I have received research units though) does not count as a science LOR?

You got credits; it counts. Even if you didnt get credits but he is a science prof and faculty member it counts

A graduate student who was the instructor for the course counts as a legitimate LOR (he has now graduated with a PhD)?

Instructor for the course counts, no matter his/her degree at the time

A mathematics LOR is a science LOR?

I would think no on this. Even though math is used for a "science" GPA I would say a math LOR wouldnt be counted as a science.

Some schools would be sticklers on the last.

Whats the prize

You got credits; it counts. Even if you didnt get credits but he is a science prof and faculty member it counts

Instructor for the course counts, no matter his/her degree at the time

I would think no on this. Even though math is used for a "science" GPA I would say a math LOR wouldnt be counted as a science.

Some schools would be sticklers on the last.

Thanks! Can anyone verify this?

Hey all,
I want to get a letter from my previous boss, however, his store went out of business so that means no letterhead. Is that OK?
thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.