*~*~*~*Official Letters of Recommendation Questions Thread 2012-2013*~*~*~*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello

I am working on getting Science LORs from my professors and was wondering what courses are actually considered "science" by med schools. Are they the typical pre-req science courses such as Chem, Ochem, bio, physics; or are other smaller courses within my major (which is Biology) also fall under the "science" category. Im taking some smaller upper-level life science courses required by major this summer and since they tend to have less students, I figured it might be easier to make a good solid impression on the professors leading to a good letter.

You have the right idea. The general SDN consensus for obtaining letters is to get one from a prof that knows you well. So, your small upper-div biology class will be perfect for that!

The classes you list work for obtaining letters. I got one each from my General Physics and Calc profs.

Good luck~!!

yep, concur with that

Any class that alters your science GPA counts as a science class.
Merging

Members don't see this ad.

Most schools seem to have a requirement of 2 science letters and 1 non-science letter.

I understand your situation though. I'm currently having difficulty finding a non-science professor to write me a letter.
I am in the same boat. I have two good letters from science professors but I need one from a non-science professor. My major is science based so it has been a long time since I took a non-science course. Anyone have any advice on this?

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm graduating this May and am applying this upcoming cycle taking a gap year in between. I have two good LOR writers lined up , one from the research lab I've been working in for about 10 hours a week for 2 years and another from a plastic surgeon back home who I shadowed extensively. So that leaves me looking for a didactic science teacher or two to write one.

I go to a large state school so the only science class I've had with less than 75 people in it was this past semester. I'm more on the introverted side so I typically only ask a few questions a semester to profs after class so I figured the prof from this smaller class would be good to ask since the class required participation, he knows my name, and I did well on my large class presentation. I went to ask today and the first thing he said "Do you know anyone else that knows you better?" :scared:. I told him not really and explained my situation and he said he'd do it. I'm guessing it's going to be a pretty generalized LOR . Which leads me to ask: Should I even bother fishing for another LOR from another science prof which also will probably be pretty general just so I can fulfill the typical "2 didactic science" requirement?

Most schools seem to have a requirement of 2 science letters and 1 non-science letter.

I understand your situation though. I'm currently having difficulty finding a non-science professor to write me a letter.

Call admissions offices and ask how hard and fast their requirements are. Explain your predicament and follow their advice. Some may want the general LOR from a professor that hardly knows you while others might suggest to find other medically relevant recommenders.

I am in the same boat. I have two good letters from science professors but I need one from a non-science professor. My major is science based so it has been a long time since I took a non-science course. Anyone have any advice on this?

For most schools, "Non-science professor" can also mean "Non-professor." I'd suggest asking for a recommendation from a supervisor from one of your extra-curricular activities.

Merging thread.

For most schools, "Non-science professor" can also mean "Non-professor." I'd suggest asking for a recommendation from a supervisor from one of your extra-curricular activities.

Whoa, whoa, whoa, is this true? I really want to believe this, but I am kind of skeptical.

Hi all,

I have a question regarding letters of rec. for my girlfriend. I will be starting dental school this fall, and she will be applying to med school this cycle. She is wondering whether or not to have a second science professor write her a letter, or have a spanish teacher write it? I said spanish teacher, because it makes her unique and shows that she is rounded outside of science.

Any thoughts?
Thanks!

Most schools require a LOR from two science professors. She should check to see what the schools she is applying to require.

Both. Most schools want at least two science letters, but a few also want a non-science letter, in which case the Spanish letter would come in handy.

LOR's can be in black and white print right? my PI can't seem to find a color printer and the deadline is tomorrow for my commitee review. Need a reply by tonight. Thanks

So I was wondering, the letters don't actually need to get to the school before you submit the secondaries right? What I'm asking is, should you have your LORs sent to individual schools from AMCAS at the same time you send in your secondaries? Or will this be considered late in some way?

Merging with the LOR questions thread.

Hi all,

I have a question regarding letters of rec. for my girlfriend. I will be starting dental school this fall, and she will be applying to med school this cycle. She is wondering whether or not to have a second science professor write her a letter, or have a spanish teacher write it? I said spanish teacher, because it makes her unique and shows that she is rounded outside of science.

Any thoughts?
Thanks!

Most schools require a LOR from two science professors. She should check to see what the schools she is applying to require.

Both. Most schools want at least two science letters, but a few also want a non-science letter, in which case the Spanish letter would come in handy.

LOR's can be in black and white print right? my PI can't seem to find a color printer and the deadline is tomorrow for my commitee review. Need a reply by tonight. Thanks

This shouldn't be a problem as long as the letter is on official letterhead and, most importantly, bears a valid recommender signature.

Nah, forged documents are all the rage these days.

Members don't see this ad :)
Would getting a letter of rec from a TA serve the same purpose as a letter of rec from a professor if the TA was the one leading every single class. The class is only about 15 people and the TA taught every class. The professor never even showed and I don't even know what the professor looks like. In addition, all my conversations outside of class were with the TA.

I still wouldn't do it. A TA hasn't had the same experiences with students as a professor has. A professor has taught thousands upon thousands of students, so if a professor says, "best student in 10 years" or anything really, it's meaningful. Its just not meaningful from a student who has taught 15 people. Also, lots of TA's are only a couple years off in age from an actual undergrad (some TAs are even undergrads), so its entirely possible someone could be buddies with their TA. This might not be you, but the adcom at a Med School doesnt know this. Find the next available PROF you do know well and get a letter from him/her.

No, a TA letter means nothing. It won't fulfill any of the requirements and wastes everyone's time. Not even if it's co-signed by a professor (unless co-sign means the professor removes the TA's name and puts his own).

No, a TA letter means nothing. It won't fulfill any of the requirements and wastes everyone's time. Not even if it's co-signed by a professor (unless co-sign means the professor removes the TA's name and puts his own).

Ask the TA if this is possible. A grad student wrote one of my letters, and the professor signed it.

Would getting a letter of rec from a TA serve the same purpose as a letter of rec from a professor if the TA was the one leading every single class. The class is only about 15 people and the TA taught every class. The professor never even showed and I don't even know what the professor looks like. In addition, all my conversations outside of class were with the TA.

Get it co-signed by the professor.

I still wouldn't do it. A TA hasn't had the same experiences with students as a professor has. A professor has taught thousands upon thousands of students, so if a professor says, "best student in 10 years" or anything really, it's meaningful. Its just not meaningful from a student who has taught 15 people. Also, lots of TA's are only a couple years off in age from an actual undergrad (some TAs are even undergrads), so its entirely possible someone could be buddies with their TA. This might not be you, but the adcom at a Med School doesnt know this. Find the next available PROF you do know well and get a letter from him/her.

Ask the TA if this is possible. A grad student wrote one of my letters, and the professor signed it.

But the problem is that the "Professor" never taught a single class nor did she even show up in any class. I don't even know what she looks like. The TA taught every single class and basically did the same as the professor. I know in general, TA recs are not good but this is a special circumstance that I was wondering if med schools would allow.

So I asked one of my Graduate Student Instructors for a letter of rec co-signed by the professor. He kinda hesitated because he said he wasn't sure how the policy with the professor is about letters of rec and said he'll check on that. I don't think its that he doesn't want to write a letter but that he isn't sure about the logistics. I really need this as my second science letter and I'm applying this summer, would this be an acceptable letter?

Quick Question.

I already have two strong science letters from professors at my school.

I am stuck on the third letter for non-science. Here are my possibilities:
1) Asking a kinesiology professor that I know on a personal and academic level.
2) Asking for a co-signed letter from director and vice-president of the office for external relations. I have worked there for the past 2 years representing the school in the community.

What do you think?

I just want to clarify that most schools require at lest two science professors, and doesn't specifically require non-science professor right?

That means as long as I get two science letters, it should be fine, and I don't have to bother asking non-sci professors for letters? As far as I know, really few schools require non-science letters like Mount Sinai that emphasizes on humanities..

Is this true? and not having non-sci letter isn't at the disadvantage?

My major is science based as well. I contacted a philosophy professor I had and he told me that he pretty much didn't know me well enough nor could he write a letter saying much about me. Understandable. I also tried contacting my Spanish professor from sophomore year to write me one, but she never responded. I hate it when professors neglect to at least give a response. I am considering contacting a professor I had for a professional writing course I took. Small class size and I had to give at least 2 presentations. Problem is I took the class fall of my freshman year. I am finishing junior year now. :lame: Idk if she'll remember me or not.

I sure hope this is the case. The attending from my research with a local hospital may write me one. I could also get a letter from a physician at the hospital I scribe at.

How does gathering letters during the summer usually go? I'm getting pretty tired of professors not responding to my emails. Probably heading into full on panic mode sometime soon, but not just yet.

How do the schools that receive the letters know whether I've waived my right to access them or not?
I plan on using AMCAS Letter Writer Application, should I give my letter writer a signed waiver form and ask them to append it to their letters?

How long is too long for a letter of recommendation? If it is a strong letter and each part describes something positive and different about me, should the length matter? My recommender said the letter's very strong and that it's about 750 words long. That's about one page and another paragraph long when written in Times New Roman with the font size 11 and 1' margins all around. Thanks in advance.

OK, so I have tried to do some searching on this.

Basically, I understand that I can send my LORs to the pre-med committee at my school.

Currently, I am still waiting on a few. In the meantime, I have a committee interview.

My Qeustion is then, after the committee has received my letters of Rec and written the committee letter, does the committee send the committee letter + all my LORs as one submission to interfolio? (For which I then mark "committee letter" on AMCAS and only expects one delivery from Interfolio).

Or, do I just add another slot request in interfolio, and send my 4 LORs + the LOR from the committee [to AMCAS/or each of my schools{a question w/in a question}]?

How long is too long for a letter of recommendation? If it is a strong letter and each part describes something positive and different about me, should the length matter? My recommender said the letter's very strong and that it's about 750 words long. That's about one page and another paragraph long when written in Times New Roman with the font size 11 and 1' margins all around. Thanks in advance.

That's a good length. ~1page for quality over quantity

So I have a question regarding which letters I should ask for/submit.

The letters I have for sure:
1) PChem professor
2) 2 professors in humanities
3) Volunteer supervisor letter

Then I also have the professor with whom I've done research for the past 2 years, but I also did take class credit one semester and the class was classified by my university as Molecular Cellular and Developmental Bio 300. So can she count as a science prof? I don't have another good science professor.

Also, which of these doctors should I ask for a recommendation? I'm a scribe and have been working with both of them for the past 2 years:

1) A doctor whom I know well and have gone out to lunch with her in the past, but she is quite religious and I'm concerned she might mention something godly in her letter (i.e. god bless her, etc.) I'm an atheist and this will not be anywhere on my application and I don't know how that would affect the ADCOMs. Also, she went to Harvard for med school

2) A doctor whom I also know well and I've gone out to eat with him once with some other doctors. He knows me very well and has talked me through some of my struggles with school etc. However, he only went to Wayne State, but he's also a toxicologist.

Does it matter where the doc went to med school? I won't be applying to Harvard or Wayne state.

Thank you!! :luck:

Also, side note, would it be a negative if I submitted 5 letters to each school or should I pick one of the Humanities prof and stick with them? The thing is that they both know me really well and both of their letters will be amazing :confused:

Is it completely unacceptable if I don't have an academic science professor to write a letter of rec? I have a science research professor (haven't taken an actual class with her besides getting independent study credits from working with her throughout the school semesters) who could write a great one for me...would that suffice?

Right now, I have:
1) Research professor who I've done research with for almost 3 years
2) MD doctor who I've shadowed for a month
3) English professor
4) Hospice volunteer coordinator

Is this enough? Could a letter from another MD possibly make up for no letter from an academic science professor? It's been so hard for me to get to know my science professors on a personal level because there's always so many people in my class and I don't utilize office hours. I know this is just an excuse, but wouldn't it be better to just not submit a letter than to submit a rather bland and mediocre one?
I did really well in one of my upper division science courses, but when I asked for a recommendation letter from the professor he said that based on my academics and personal statement he could write me a "very positive" letter but that it would be limited due to the fact that he didn't get to know me on a personal level. Should I still ask him for one?

If I have my professors send rec letters for this cycle and I end up re-applying next cycle do I need to contact my professors again and have them resend the rec letters for the next cycle or will my letters be stored on my AMCAS account? I thought I read somewhere that the letters are deleted every year and need to be resent but then I see people on this site saying they are reusing letters that are several years old. If this is the case, is there any way I can have the letters stored somewhere so I don't have to bother my professors twice? I only ask because I'm applying this cycle to a few select schools but not sure if my app will be strong enough. If I don't get in I have some stuff set up during my glide year that will make my app much stronger. Just don't want to have to bother my professors a second time.

I am planning on beginning my application to medical school this summer to start in Fall of 2013. I have already asked one of my science professors to write a letter of recommendation for me and he told me if I bring my resume he would write it in front of me tomorrow and can send it in. I didnt expect a response this quickly and would rather have the letter finished and out of the way. AMCAS says they dont accept letters until May 1st so would I be able to just have him send the letter to interfolio (I would make an account) and send it to AMCAS later. Also they say you need the author to provide your AMCAS ID and the AMCAS Letter ID. I do not know how to obtain a Letter ID at this time since the applications aren't open and was hoping I could just type this information in later to Interfolio. If you could let me know if this would work or have dealt with sending letters to AMCAS through interfolio and could help me out that would be awesome!

Thanks!

I am also planning to apply to DO schools and was wondering if this would work fine for the DO application as well.

I am planning on beginning my application to medical school this summer to start in Fall of 2013. I have already asked one of my science professors to write a letter of recommendation for me and he told me if I bring my resume he would write it in front of me tomorrow and can send it in. I didnt expect a response this quickly and would rather have the letter finished and out of the way. AMCAS says they dont accept letters until May 1st so would I be able to just have him send the letter to interfolio (I would make an account) and send it to AMCAS later. Also they say you need the author to provide your AMCAS ID and the AMCAS Letter ID. I do not know how to obtain a Letter ID at this time since the applications aren't open and was hoping I could just type this information in later to Interfolio. If you could let me know if this would work or have dealt with sending letters to AMCAS through interfolio and could help me out that would be awesome!

Thanks!

I am also planning to apply to DO schools and was wondering if this would work fine for the DO application as well.

So is the general consensus that LOR written by a TA and signed by professor is bad?

I have such a letter I am not sure if it is going to be co-signed or just signed by the professor?

In most large state schools this is pretty common from what I have heard where the professor would deffer writing a LOR to a TA and then just signing it.

I already have a letter of recommendation from my university's pre-health advisory committee. Should I also seek additional letters of recommendation from other professors, or should the PAC letter cover it?

So I have a question regarding which letters I should ask for/submit.

The letters I have for sure:
1) PChem professor
2) 2 professors in humanities
3) Volunteer supervisor letter

Then I also have the professor with whom I've done research for the past 2 years, but I also did take class credit one semester and the class was classified by my university as Molecular Cellular and Developmental Bio 300. So can she count as a science prof? I don't have another good science professor.

Yes. that counts because you took that 300 with her.

Also, which of these doctors should I ask for a recommendation? I'm a scribe and have been working with both of them for the past 2 years:

1) A doctor whom I know well and have gone out to lunch with her in the past, but she is quite religious and I'm concerned she might mention something godly in her letter (i.e. god bless her, etc.) I'm an atheist and this will not be anywhere on my application and I don't know how that would affect the ADCOMs. Also, she went to Harvard for med school

2) A doctor whom I also know well and I've gone out to eat with him once with some other doctors. He knows me very well and has talked me through some of my struggles with school etc. However, he only went to Wayne State, but he's also a toxicologist.

Ask both. It sounds like the first knows you well also. Religion should play zero role in the process. Also, the first professor has ties to HMS, so that is definitely a plus.

Does it matter where the doc went to med school? I won't be applying to Harvard or Wayne state.

Nope. Quality of LOR >>>> Where Doc went to Med School

Thank you!! :luck:

Also, side note, would it be a negative if I submitted 5 letters to each school or should I pick one of the Humanities prof and stick with them? The thing is that they both know me really well and both of their letters will be amazing :confused:

Check the max letters you can send through the MSAR. Most schools let you send a max of 5 letters. Some even let you send in up to 10! (Mayo comes to mind)

Is it completely unacceptable if I don't have an academic science professor to write a letter of rec? I have a science research professor (haven't taken an actual class with her besides getting independent study credits from working with her throughout the school semesters) who could write a great one for me...would that suffice?

Right now, I have:
1) Research professor who I've done research with for almost 3 years
2) MD doctor who I've shadowed for a month
3) English professor
4) Hospice volunteer coordinator

Is this enough? Could a letter from another MD possibly make up for no letter from an academic science professor? It's been so hard for me to get to know my science professors on a personal level because there's always so many people in my class and I don't utilize office hours. I know this is just an excuse, but wouldn't it be better to just not submit a letter than to submit a rather bland and mediocre one?
I did really well in one of my upper division science courses, but when I asked for a recommendation letter from the professor he said that based on my academics and personal statement he could write me a "very positive" letter but that it would be limited due to the fact that he didn't get to know me on a personal level. Should I still ask him for one?

Unfortunately, You can't make up for no science letter. Med schools want 2 science letter professors writing LORs and one-non-science. E-mail your science professors. They may not write the best LOR but a mediocre one should not hold you back if your other letters are strong.

Also, I'd leave the 2nd MD out if you've already got a good first since he doesn't know you that well. I think one is enough and you want to save room for your committee letter or future LORs that are updates.

Last edited:
If I have my professors send rec letters for this cycle and I end up re-applying next cycle do I need to contact my professors again and have them resend the rec letters for the next cycle or will my letters be stored on my AMCAS account? I thought I read somewhere that the letters are deleted every year and need to be resent but then I see people on this site saying they are reusing letters that are several years old. If this is the case, is there any way I can have the letters stored somewhere so I don't have to bother my professors twice? I only ask because I'm applying this cycle to a few select schools but not sure if my app will be strong enough. If I don't get in I have some stuff set up during my glide year that will make my app much stronger. Just don't want to have to bother my professors a second time.

You will lose your letters. That is why most people are using a professional letter service known as INTERFOLIO. It stores your documents on file so that you don't need to continue pestering the teachers and makes it easier for you to be in control of the letters you have received.

Thanks!

Set up an interfolio account right now. You request a confidential LOR through e-mail and can write whatever in that e-mail. In a separate e-mail I attached the documents the professors wanted (personal statement/transcripts/resume). When you request a letter there is a unique ID code for that LOR and when they've submitted it electronically or by mail, you will receive a notification right away. Interfolio saves your letters also.

So is the general consensus that LOR written by a TA and signed by professor is bad?

I have such a letter I am not sure if it is going to be co-signed or just signed by the professor?

In most large state schools this is pretty common from what I have heard where the professor would deffer writing a LOR to a TA and then just signing it.

Sounds fine to me, if not better having two signatures and as long as the letter is strong and positive.

The LOR just needs to have Letterhead + Signature to make sure you did not write it.

How do the schools that receive the letters know whether I've waived my right to access them or not?
I plan on using AMCAS Letter Writer Application, should I give my letter writer a signed waiver form and ask them to append it to their letters?

Use interfolio and request a confidential letter of recommendation. Because of the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974, you waive your right to see the letter

OK, so I have tried to do some searching on this.

Basically, I understand that I can send my LORs to the pre-med committee at my school.

Currently, I am still waiting on a few. In the meantime, I have a committee interview.

My Qeustion is then, after the committee has received my letters of Rec and written the committee letter, does the committee send the committee letter + all my LORs as one submission to interfolio? (For which I then mark "committee letter" on AMCAS and only expects one delivery from Interfolio).

Or, do I just add another slot request in interfolio, and send my 4 LORs + the LOR from the committee [to AMCAS/or each of my schools{a question w/in a question}]?

bump

You will lose your letters. That is why most people are using a professional letter service known as INTERFOLIO. It stores your documents on file so that you don't need to continue pestering the teachers and makes it easier for you to be in control of the letters you have received.

Thanks, I appreciate the information.

Status
Not open for further replies.