*~*~*~*Official Letters of Recommendation Questions Thread 2013-2014*~*~*~*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
From what I've gathered it can take up to a week to transfer letters from Interfolio to AMCAS. If I haven't received any letters yet, and plan to receive them very close to when I need to turn in secondaries, would it be better to have my writers submit directly to AMCAS via the online submission process? It seems like I'll save 3-7 days that way. Or am I missing something?

Are you applying DO? If not, just have the letter writers submit directly to AMCAS. It will save you time and money.

No, only MD

Why not have them submit to both? It's good to have a copy on Interfolio and I think it's worth the couple days lag. If you have to reapply it can save you a couple of awkward conversations and possibly the effort of trying to find a new letter if someone becomes unreachable.

As a potential reapplicant, I'm glad that I stored my letters on Interfolio.

It's not going to kill your app to have old letters, but it would be better to have your letter writers resubmit their letters with a more recent date if it's easy for them to do.

Letter writers CAN send out two letters. One to AMCAS and one to Interfolio. Interfolio is nice because they keep letters for five years. If you end up needing them next year, they are easily obtainable.

I like the idea of interfolio, I just don't like the idea that interfolio charges a $5 fee to send an email. That is on top of the "account fee" that you pay for every year.

dsoz

Does anyone know about the differences in lag time that I mentioned? Is it instant upload with AMCAS but 3-7 day transfer with Interfolio?

Trust me, interfolio. Just do it.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using SDN Mobile

Pretty sure my transfer from Interfolio->AMCAS only took a day, this was in late Aug.

I did mine earlier in late June, but it also took me just one day for the transfer. I think they state "up to two weeks" as their official policy, but I'm not sure how often it actually takes the full length of time.
Merging

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys, my college has a pre-professional committee but I was wondering if anyone knows which med schools absolutely require a committee letter? Thanks!

I haven't heard of any schools that require it, but it is strongly encouraged and may look suspicious if you circumvent the committee.

Why do you not want a committee letter anyways?

I would check the individual schools you're applying to. However, I think most schools will be wondering why you didn't get a committee letter when your school offers them.

^sworzeh beat me to it

You have to check each school you plan to apply to. Plain & simple. Some require them, some do not.

For MOST schools, if your undergrad has a pre-med committee, you need that letter. It looks bad if you dont have it.

There are exceptions where you dont need a committee letter. Obviously if your undergrad school doesnt have a committee, you dont need one. Or, if youre a non-trad whe has been out of under grad for a while, say 4+ years, you probably wont need one either and can go all personal. If you dont get a pre med committee letter, you should writre a separate letter explainging exactly why you didnt get one and mail it to the schools you apply to.

More and more schools want to see a committee letter. So, if you don't get one, you may have to explain why.

Will it hurt you? It's hard to answer. If you have a compelling reason (like you graduated a few years before), probably not. If you don't feel like it or would rather not, I'm guessing it may end up hurting you.

My advice: if you have a committee letter at your school, just get it.

People it DOES NOT LOOK BAD. There are many legit reasons why committee letters are not in your best interest.

1. They don't send them out until August

2. Some charge you, they might not tell you up front either, like my school

3. They are based off of mock interview evals, which are a few minutes talking with somebody who doesn't know you.

I applied with no committee letter and nobody asked me a single question. I prefer to be able to have my letters go out June 1. I prefer not to pay somebody who doesn't know me to write a letter. I prefer my letters to be from people I actually worked with and know me personally.

BOOM, there are all your reasons for not going through committee. Now just get your own letters and if they ask you why tell them these reasons. Most likely they won't even question you if you just send in letters.

Look at it this way, the pre med committee advisors depend on these committees for their job and income. Of course they make you and your undergrad think it's is completely necessary to use them. It's all a scam people.

Merging

I'm considering creating an Interfolio account solely for the LoR from the doctor I shadowed, mainly because since I'm applying to both MD and DO, I have no other convenient option for the latter. But thinking about it now, since my university already has VirtualEvals, I wouldn't really mind doing all the photocopying and mailing for the doctor if Interfolio isn't worth it in this case. So my question is, would the LoR be looked at as more trustworthy/reliable if it went to the med schools through Interfolio, or is snail mail equally fine if the letter has his signature? Thanks.

Merging

Members don't see this ad :)
Can an academic advisor count as someone who's capable of writing a non-science LOR as well?

Generally no. A non-science LOR is usually referring to a professor who taught you in a class. Some schools will let you substitute other letters so you'll need to check out school websites or contact schools you're interested in.

I'm curious if someone can tell me about the LOR process. I have the people currently writting them, but where do I ask them to send them to? My university does have a Pre Med Advisory board, should I have them sent there? I'm new to this aspect so any advice is appreciated...

Was looking at Mayo's LOR guidelines. They want letter writers to include our AMCAS ID in their letter? Why is this even necessary? If it's sent through AMCAS, shouldn't AMCAS label our ID on the letter already?

Figured I'd post in this thread because I'm curious about the process as well. If you're having someone you know well write a letter a year or so in advance, what do you do with it? Hold onto the copy and send it in come application time? Thanks!

Figured I'd post in this thread because I'm curious about the process as well. If you're having someone you know well write a letter a year or so in advance, what do you do with it? Hold onto the copy and send it in come application time? Thanks!

You could use Interfolio, an online storage service for LORs and such. When you're ready, you can have Interfolio send it to AMCAS. This might be helpful. I believe there is a big LOR thread floating around here somewhere, too.

Thanks, I haven't been able to find it so thought I'd pester everyone about the process. Is Interfolio pretty well known and trusted?

Thanks, I haven't been able to find it so thought I'd pester everyone about the process. Is Interfolio pretty well known and trusted?

Yeah. And for what it's worth, I had no problems at all with it. It never hurts to take some time to get familiar with the system/help sections, etc., but it's fairly simple to use.

You could use Interfolio, an online storage service for LORs and such. When you're ready, you can have Interfolio send it to AMCAS. This might be helpful. I believe there is a big LOR thread floating around here somewhere, too.

:thumbdown: This is not the advice I would give as choosing Interfolio adds unnecessary costs, unless you're applying to an osteopathic school.

Interfolio charges you to send LOR's to each school, and also requires an initial payment to start using the service. Only use it if you're applying to D.O. school's since it is required for the AACOMAS.

As for the AMCAS, the service is built into the application. You will be able to save/print a pdf for your evaluator. This is accessible in the application itself. You either print it and give the paper to them, or you email it to them. The instructions for what they are to do is included on the paper, along with the place they need to send the LOR's. Once you give that paper to them, you can either keep following up to be sure they sent it out, or you can periodically check your AMCAS as they will update the information as they receive/verify the letters.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm curious if someone can tell me about the LOR process. I have the people currently writting them, but where do I ask them to send them to? My university does have a Pre Med Advisory board, should I have them sent there? I'm new to this aspect so any advice is appreciated...

Yeah. And for what it's worth, I had no problems at all with it. It never hurts to take some time to get familiar with the system/help sections, etc., but it's fairly simple to use.

:thumbdown: This is not the advice I would give as choosing Interfolio adds unnecessary costs, unless you're applying to an osteopathic school.

Interfolio charges you to send LOR's to each school, and also requires an initial payment to start using the service. Only use it if you're applying to D.O. school's since it is required for the AACOMAS.

As for the AMCAS, the service is built into the application. You will be able to save/print a pdf for your evaluator. This is accessible in the application itself. You either print it and give the paper to them, or you email it to them. The instructions for what they are to do is included on the paper, along with the place they need to send the LOR's. Once you give that paper to them, you can either keep following up to be sure they sent it out, or you can periodically check your AMCAS as they will update the information as they receive/verify the letters.

Merging

I know that a composite letter is related to my LORs. But what is the committee letter? Which one do most med schools question if I don't have? Is it the committee letter? If so, can I just do without the committee letter? The reason is that the adviser doesn't know me at all and I'm not sure I want a letter where I don't feel confident that it has much substance about who I am. Also, would it wise if I just ask my professors (2 sciences, 2 non-sciences) and the doctor I'm shadowing for LORs and send them in individually and do without the composite letter? Can I ask the pre-med committee for a composite letter and no committee letter?

I know it's a lot of questions but any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Bump. Please help.

Merging

:shrug:

You can do what works best for you. It can be done through AMCAS, but if someone is getting letters in advance, AMCAS doesn't open until May of their application year. Also, you shouldn't be sending letters to individual schools. Once your letters are all in their system, you just send one package to AMCAS. It might cost something, but it's not a lot. For me, the convenience was worth it. YMMV.

:shrug:

You can do what works best for you. It can be done through AMCAS, but if someone is getting letters in advance, AMCAS doesn't open until May of their application year. Also, you shouldn't be sending letters to individual schools. Once your letters are all in their system, you just send one package to AMCAS. It might cost something, but it's not a lot. For me, the convenience was worth it. YMMV.

I can see where getting LOR's before the season would dictate needing a service besides AMCAS.

If an applicant is requesting LOR's after AMCAS opens, it's obviously cheaper and more convenient to just use the AMCAS system.

I can see where getting LOR's before the season would dictate needing a service besides AMCAS.

:thumbup:

If an applicant is requesting LOR's after AMCAS opens, it's obviously cheaper and more convenient to just use the AMCAS system.

I agree. Saving money is generally always a good thing. :cool:

That being said, since applicants should give their letter writers plenty of advance notice AND should plan to apply as early as possible, it's sometimes not feasible to use the AMCAS service. One could, however, simply update your letter writers with your AMCAS information once the application is open. I personally just found it more convenient to use a service like Interfolio, so that if the letter was completed early the writer could just turn it in and be done with it, and so that there wasn't a lot of back-and-forth/confusion when the due date was approaching (professors can be annoyingly absentminded at times....). :)

So to be clear, if I already have letters stored in Interfolio, I'm not required to have my AMCAS and AAMC ID numbers on those letters? This is only a requirement if one is using the AMCAS letter service?

So to be clear, if I already have letters stored in Interfolio, I'm not required to have my AMCAS and AAMC ID numbers on those letters? This is only a requirement if one is using the AMCAS letter service?

It's a good idea to tell your letter writers that, once you open your application (hopefully in early May!), you'll send them some ID numbers to put on the letter...but if I remember correctly, you don't have to - you can just associate a letter with its ID within Interfolio before sending them to AMCAS. You can search the Interfolio help section/blog for more info, or perhaps someone who has used it more recently can speak to this.

If my school has a committee, does that mean I don't need to satisfy the 2 science/1 non-science requirement at most schools?

My school will basically send 1 letter packet containing: committee letter, my 2 science letters, a letter from my advisor, and 2 letters from volunteer supervisors. Do I really need a non-science letter if I already have 6 letters above? I feel like these above 6 letters can more than enough address my abilities as a student/person.

It's a good idea to tell your letter writers that, once you open your application (hopefully in early May!), you'll send them some ID numbers to put on the letter...but if I remember correctly, you don't have to - you can just associate a letter with its ID within Interfolio before sending them to AMCAS. You can search the Interfolio help section/blog for more info, or perhaps someone who has used it more recently can speak to this.

Thanks for the info. I only have two letters in there right now, and plan on getting at least thre more. I am using them for both AMCAS and AACOMAS, so I'm not sure if it would be a good idea to put both ID's, or just the AMCAS one (or not have any ID's on the letter).

Thanks for the info. I only have two letters in there right now, and plan on getting at least thre more. I am using them for both AMCAS and AACOMAS, so I'm not sure if it would be a good idea to put both ID's, or just the AMCAS one (or not have any ID's on the letter).

That's true. I can't speak to that very well, but I do seem to remember being able to associate each letter with a unique ID without actually physically having on the letter. I think you associated the IDs with the letters when you were actually sending a lump package to AMCAS, so you could just re-associate them when you send another package to AACOMAS. I might be wrong on the fine logistics (you might just be able to assign IDs without actually having to create a package of letters to send...) but either way the idea is the same. Good luck!

That's true. I can't speak to that very well, but I do seem to remember being able to associate each letter with a unique ID without actually physically having on the letter. I think you associated the IDs with the letters when you were actually sending a lump package to AMCAS, so you could just re-associate them when you send another package to AACOMAS. I might be wrong on the fine logistics (you might just be able to assign IDs without actually having to create a package of letters to send...) but either way the idea is the same. Good luck!

I think you're right, because Interfolio asked for ID's from both systems. I'm just going to get the rest of my letters without having the writers include an ID number. Thanks you too!

Please help.

I know that a composite letter is related to my LORs. But what is the committee letter? Which one do most med schools question if I don't have? Is it the committee letter? If so, can I just do without the committee letter? The reason is that the adviser doesn't know me at all and I'm not sure I want a letter where I don't feel confident that it has much substance about who I am. Also, would it wise if I just ask my professors (2 sciences, 2 non-sciences) and the doctor I'm shadowing for LORs and send them in individually and do without the composite letter? Can I ask the pre-med committee for a composite letter and no committee letter?

I know it's a lot of questions but any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Question!

I taught English in Indonesia and asked my Indonesian co-teacher to write me a LOR. She wrote a really nice letter that I am more than willing to submit to med schools. The letter is definitely understandable but it is very clear that English is her second language. RNs and PAs that read the letter told me to submit it as because it is clear that it is from the heart.

I feel as though the letter could either really help or really hurt my application.

Do you suggest submitting a LOR in broken English? (both MD and DO).

Thanks in advance for any feedback! :)

Question!

I taught English in Indonesia and asked my Indonesian co-teacher to write me a LOR. She wrote a really nice letter that I am more than willing to submit to med schools. The letter is definitely understandable but it is very clear that English is her second language. RNs and PAs that read the letter told me to submit it as because it is clear that it is from the heart.

I feel as though the letter could either really help or really hurt my application.

Do you suggest submitting a LOR in broken English? (both MD and DO).

Thanks in advance for any feedback! :)

I've been told that perfect grammar and spelling is not detrimental to a LOR especially if its clear that the letter writer is not a native English speaker. The content of the letter is much more important. Of course the letter must be readable, but barring that I think you should be good to go if you wanted to you use that letter.

Hey Everybody,

Quick question:

I worked as a physical therapy assistant for a number of years. My "employers" were really just my clients/patients. I worked with one older gentleman for almost five years and feel that he could write me an excellent LOR; I saw him three times per week for over an hour per session, and very few people in my professional life know me as well as he does. Would this be appropriate for my application?

Thank you.

- Bill R.

How long does it take AAMC to process my letters? I sent in 4 LORs with Interfolio's electronic delivery system on Wednesday and they're still showing up as "not received" on my AMCAS.

Hey Everybody,

Quick question:

I worked as a physical therapy assistant for a number of years. My "employers" were really just my clients/patients. I worked with one older gentleman for almost five years and feel that he could write me an excellent LOR; I saw him three times per week for over an hour per session, and very few people in my professional life know me as well as he does. Would this be appropriate for my application?

Thank you.

- Bill R.

Appropriate letters are ones that schools require, or will allow. Each school will have it's own list. That being said, it's usually ok to submit an extra letter or two as long as they don't specifically request no extra letters.
It's fine to have extra non-curricular letters with your app, just limit them to one or two and they better be people who know you very well and can speak to your compassion or other such attributes.
Good luck

So I've heard a few things which, in combination, me worry:

1. Letters of recommendation go with secondary apps
2. It is best to submit primary apps ASAP once available
3. It is best to submit secondary apps ASAP, and you receive these once schools get your primary app

My letters will not be ready until late July probably (using committee letter). Does this mean that if I submit my primary application in early June and receive secondary apps before my letters are ready, it will take a long time for me to send my secondary apps -- and thus it will look bad? Or is responding to the secondary essay questions a different process entirely from sending the letters (i.e. not having letters won't force me to delay sending secondary apps)???

Second related question, what is a good approximation of when you would receive secondary apps assuming you sent your primary June 1?

I have the lucky position of writing my own letter of recommendation (my supervisor will edit and sign it). Unfortunately I don't know where to start, what to include, or how to brag about myself well (something that I will have to work on before interviews).

The samples I have googled online seem pretty lame. I want to give myself a boost with this rec.

Any suggestions, tips, or even a good sample that you can point me to so I know where to get started?

So I've heard a few things which, in combination, me worry:

1. Does this mean that if I submit my primary application in early June and receive secondary apps before my letters are ready, it will take a long time for me to send my secondary apps -- and thus it will look bad? Or is responding to the secondary essay questions a different process entirely from sending the letters (i.e. not having letters won't force me to delay sending secondary apps)???

2. Second related question, what is a good approximation of when you would receive secondary apps assuming you sent your primary June 1?

1. You would still be able to submit your essays and pay your secondary fee. But you won't be marked "complete" until your letters are in and most schools won't look at your app until you're complete.

2. For most schools, as soon as you are verified by AMCAS and they send the first batch of data out to schools.

So, I've been perusing the forums for the past week looking for an answer to this question but my situation is pretty specific and I'd like some targeted feedback! :)

At the beginning of the Spring semester my philosophy professor who I've now had for three courses offered to write me a LOR. I waited until the end of the semester to follow up on that because I knew I'd do well in the graduate level course I was taking with him.

I'm a science/philosophy double major and I think this will be a great LOR opportunity as my professor always gushes about how I've been one of his best students. I told him I'd email him a "LOR packet" type deal with some information about myself and his response was that he could essentially write a great letter even without that since I've known him for a year and a half now. I still said I'd write up an personal statement detailing why I want to go to Med School and how I feel that philosophy complements my life goals. (I wish I had this all prepared as a hard copy when I went to his office and talked to him about it, but I was swamped with finals and didn't even think of doing that until recently.)

I need a little advice on what else to include aside from the short personal statement I mentioned and how to format this email and the attachment. I've seen suggestions to include a transcript, a resume with activities and experience, and a lot of personal history. I'm feeling overwhelmed and not sure what all to include. I'm also not sure how I would format a transcript? Would it be unofficial and include all my course numbers or should I get an official transcript? :scared:

I don't want to include too much and make him feel pressured to write about aspects of me that he doesn't know much about, especially since he said he could pretty much already write a LOR without any additional material. A little guidance would be much appreciated!

Use the search function of the forum for gods sake. Did you even look at the official letter of recommendation thread? If you did, you would see this:

10. How should I ask someone for a letter of req?
On this one, I will give my own experience. For each letter writer, I prepared a packet. In the packet I had:
A list of all of my science grades (or non-science grades for a non-science prof)
A copy of my resume
A rough draft of my personal statement
A guide to writing medical school letters (which can be found by googling), a reminder that the letter needed to be signed and on letterhead.

Before handing them this (because who wants all that before they even say yes!) I asked them point blank if they "would feel comfortable writing me a strong letter of recommendation for medical school". Always do this in person!!! If they hesitate...walk away. Seriously. You don't want this person writing your letter.

When they enthusiastically said yes, I pulled the packet out of my backpack and gave it to them.

Because I used Interfolio, I did not need to provide them with my AMCAS ID or Letter ID, but instead told them that they would get an email from Interfolio that evening with instructions on how to upload the letter. Give them a FIRM deadline (2-4 weeks seems to work best) for when you need the letter. Don't ask at the last minute. Don't ask when you think a billion other people will be asking. Do offer to provide them with any other supplementary information they would like. And do give them a thank-you note (and maybe a Starbucks card) when they submit the letter.
[/B]

Before posting a question like this, you should use the search function first. It seems as though you didn't even read the Official Letter of Recommendation thread because if you did, you would have seen this:

Frequently Asked Questions

9. What else about letters do I need to know?
Your letter must be SIGNED, and should be on OFFICIAL LETTERHEAD whenever possible. This is something that holds people up every year. Some schools will even hold up your application because of this. Also, AMCAS has a beautiful FAQ dealing with letters here: https://www.aamc.org/students/applyi...ding_page.html

10. How should I ask someone for a letter of req?
On this one, I will give my own experience. For each letter writer, I prepared a packet. In the packet I had:
A list of all of my science grades (or non-science grades for a non-science prof)
A copy of my resume
A rough draft of my personal statement
A guide to writing medical school letters (which can be found by googling), a reminder that the letter needed to be signed and on letterhead.

Before handing them this (because who wants all that before they even say yes!) I asked them point blank if they "would feel comfortable writing me a strong letter of recommendation for medical school". Always do this in person!!! If they hesitate...walk away. Seriously. You don't want this person writing your letter.

When they enthusiastically said yes, I pulled the packet out of my backpack and gave it to them.

Because I used Interfolio, I did not need to provide them with my AMCAS ID or Letter ID, but instead told them that they would get an email from Interfolio that evening with instructions on how to upload the letter. Give them a FIRM deadline (2-4 weeks seems to work best) for when you need the letter. Don't ask at the last minute. Don't ask when you think a billion other people will be asking. Do offer to provide them with any other supplementary information they would like. And do give them a thank-you note (and maybe a Starbucks card) when they submit the letter.

Go ahead and give him what you said you'd give him. If he doesn't want to use part/all of it, he won't. If all of your grades are good (equal to or better than the grades you got in this professor's classes), you can give him a copy of your unofficial transcript. Don't give him a transcript if his are the only classes you've gotten A's in, as this could cause him to think less of your academic abilities. I usually feel like a transcript is overkill unless the prof specifically requests it. Don't bother with the personal history. You want him to write about the person he knows in his classes, the side of you that others won't write about, which seems to be your philosophy side.

Just send a short email, with "Here's the information for my LOR, thanks again for your support and have a great summer! Let me know if you need anything else." and attach whatever you want to send him to the email.

You are way over thinking this.

I have already read that. As I've already mentioned, I've read a bunch of threads on LOR but my specific situation is a bit different than preparing a full LOR packet, as I mentioned in my OP. It seems like you didn't even bother reading my post as I mentioned in my OP that I know what is usually suggested, but that I feel my situation is different. I guess I shouldn't have asked a question here, though I thought that this forum was open to specific inquiries.

The second response conflicts with the FAQ info, which I think proves the fact that specific situations will require varied action. (Which is why I posted this after reading the FAQ and several LOR threads) I'm tending more towards something like the second response's suggestions because of what my professor said about not needing much extra material. Like I said I don't want him to feel pressured about including things about me that he couldn't possibly know about me from our interactions.

I feel like I shouldn't have even bothered posting this considering the first response, so I'll just figure it out on my own keeping the info here in mind. Thanks anyway.

So, I've been perusing the forums for the past week looking for an answer to this question but my situation is pretty specific and I'd like some targeted feedback! :)

At the beginning of the Spring semester my philosophy professor who I've now had for three courses offered to write me a LOR. I waited until the end of the semester to follow up on that because I knew I'd do well in the graduate level course I was taking with him.

I'm a science/philosophy double major and I think this will be a great LOR opportunity as my professor always gushes about how I've been one of his best students. I told him I'd email him a "LOR packet" type deal with some information about myself and his response was that he could essentially write a great letter even without that since I've known him for a year and a half now. I still said I'd write up an personal statement detailing why I want to go to Med School and how I feel that philosophy complements my life goals. (I wish I had this all prepared as a hard copy when I went to his office and talked to him about it, but I was swamped with finals and didn't even think of doing that until recently.)

I need a little advice on what else to include aside from the short personal statement I mentioned and how to format this email and the attachment. I've seen suggestions to include a transcript, a resume with activities and experience, and a lot of personal history. I'm feeling overwhelmed and not sure what all to include. I'm also not sure how I would format a transcript? Would it be unofficial and include all my course numbers or should I get an official transcript? :scared:

I don't want to include too much and make him feel pressured to write about aspects of me that he doesn't know much about, especially since he said he could pretty much already write a LOR without any additional material. A little guidance would be much appreciated!

Before posting a question like this, you should use the search function first. It seems as though you didn't even read the Official Letter of Recommendation thread because if you did, you would have seen this:

Go ahead and give him what you said you'd give him. If he doesn't want to use part/all of it, he won't. If all of your grades are good (equal to or better than the grades you got in this professor's classes), you can give him a copy of your unofficial transcript. Don't give him a transcript if his are the only classes you've gotten A's in, as this could cause him to think less of your academic abilities. I usually feel like a transcript is overkill unless the prof specifically requests it. Don't bother with the personal history. You want him to write about the person he knows in his classes, the side of you that others won't write about, which seems to be your philosophy side.

Just send a short email, with "Here's the information for my LOR, thanks again for your support and have a great summer! Let me know if you need anything else." and attach whatever you want to send him to the email.

You are way over thinking this.

I have already read that. As I've already mentioned, I've read a bunch of threads on LOR but my specific situation is a bit different than preparing a full LOR packet, as I mentioned in my OP. I mentioned in my OP that I know what is usually suggested, but that I feel my situation is different. I guess I shouldn't have asked a question here, though I thought that this forum was open to specific inquiries.

The second response conflicts with the FAQ info, which I think proves the fact that specific situations will require varied action. (Which is why I posted this after reading the FAQ and several LOR threads) I'm tending more towards something like the second response's suggestions because of what my professor said about not needing much extra material. Like I said I don't want him to feel pressured about including things about me that he couldn't possibly know about me from our interactions.

I feel like I shouldn't have even bothered posting this considering the first response, so I'll just figure it out on my own. Thanks anyway.

Merging.

FWIW I would give him what he asks for, which is essentially nothing. Since you've already committed to giving him something, just give him the bare minimum of what you committed to give him. I asked my professors what they wanted from me and then gave them exactly what they wanted. I never showed up at their door with a huge packet of information unless they wanted it. The best letters (IMO) come from professors who don't need any extra info because they already know you really well.

Hey guys, so I'm using the health committee at my school for my LORs.

The problem is, One letter is from a non-science lecturer who knows me the best I think. She loves me and apparently wrote like a 20page letter for me comprising of praises o different types.

Second letter is from another non-science associate professor who also knows my personality/character well and I was close to at the point when he wrote the letter for me.

Third letter is from a PI of the hospital I volunteered at. He graduated and taught at a medical school abroad, and was applying for a U.S. residency at the time he wrote the letter for me. He actually asked me to draft the letter myself and then he'll sign it, but I frankly told him that it would mean alot more to me if he would be able to write honest letter for me. As it turned out, he actually quickly showed me the letter he wrote before sending it out, and it also had a part where he actually talked about this incidence, and it attests for my integrity and honesty, etc (not sure if this would be reflected in a good way or not, probably good right? although it says that he asked me to draft it?)

So these three are what the committee is using to write my letter of evaluation. As you can see, I have no "science professor" writers. I actually TA-ed several science courses, so I asked the associate professor of Anatomy class/lab, which I worked as a lab TA(receiving grades, evaluation from students) to write a letter for me and send it to interfolio.

So now, I'm in my gap year, and my PI, who is also an associate professor at a medical school in NYC (where I am now), and he told me to draft the letter myself and he'll add onto it. I plan to have his letter included in the committee evaluation letter as the committee let me do this.

So as you can see, I have a pretty iffy LOR situation with not a single science professor who actually taught me a course. So here are my questions...

1. is having 3non-science writers (2 non-science courses + 1 hospital PI who taught at foreign medical school) and 1 science professor who I worked as a TA for teaching undergrad Anatomy lab, and 1 scienceprofessor who is my current lab PI OKAY? Or does this just screw me over in terms of having 2science professors and 1non-science professor?

2. In terms of drafting my own letter for this current PI I have, I know he's doing this for 2 reasons. One is that he's actually pretty busy and he sort of lazy? (not in a bad way, but as in, he'd rather have other people do things than him doing it himself for whatever lab work that came up in the past). It's like his known personality among the lab members. Second is that although he knows me, and the work I've done, I feel like he knows me only in terms of academic/research settings and not very well personally... We have interacted alot, but talked not very much about my personal life. But anyhow, I'm just stuck on what to write about on my OWN LOR... he told me not to be too modest, but I just feel so awkward and bad that I don't know what to say. Any suggestions?

Hey guys, so I'm using the health committee at my school for my LORs.

The problem is, One letter is from a non-science lecturer who knows me the best I think. She loves me and apparently wrote like a 20page letter for me comprising of praises o different types.

Second letter is from another non-science associate professor who also knows my personality/character well and I was close to at the point when he wrote the letter for me.

Third letter is from a PI of the hospital I volunteered at. He graduated and taught at a medical school abroad, and was applying for a U.S. residency at the time he wrote the letter for me. He actually asked me to draft the letter myself and then he'll sign it, but I frankly told him that it would mean alot more to me if he would be able to write honest letter for me. As it turned out, he actually quickly showed me the letter he wrote before sending it out, and it also had a part where he actually talked about this incidence, and it attests for my integrity and honesty, etc (not sure if this would be reflected in a good way or not, probably good right? although it says that he asked me to draft it?)

So these three are what the committee is using to write my letter of evaluation. As you can see, I have no "science professor" writers. I actually TA-ed several science courses, so I asked the associate professor of Anatomy class/lab, which I worked as a lab TA(receiving grades, evaluation from students) to write a letter for me and send it to interfolio.

So now, I'm in my gap year, and my PI, who is also an associate professor at a medical school in NYC (where I am now), and he told me to draft the letter myself and he'll add onto it. I plan to have his letter included in the committee evaluation letter as the committee let me do this.

So as you can see, I have a pretty iffy LOR situation with not a single science professor who actually taught me a course. So here are my questions...

1. is having 3non-science writers (2 non-science courses + 1 hospital PI who taught at foreign medical school) and 1 science professor who I worked as a TA for teaching undergrad Anatomy lab, and 1 scienceprofessor who is my current lab PI OKAY? Or does this just screw me over in terms of having 2science professors and 1non-science professor?

2. In terms of drafting my own letter for this current PI I have, I know he's doing this for 2 reasons. One is that he's actually pretty busy and he sort of lazy? (not in a bad way, but as in, he'd rather have other people do things than him doing it himself for whatever lab work that came up in the past). It's like his known personality among the lab members. Second is that although he knows me, and the work I've done, I feel like he knows me only in terms of academic/research settings and not very well personally... We have interacted alot, but talked not very much about my personal life. But anyhow, I'm just stuck on what to write about on my OWN LOR... he told me not to be too modest, but I just feel so awkward and bad that I don't know what to say. Any suggestions?

I couldn't even begin to give suggestions for what to include in your own letter. Thankfully nobody asked that of me, and frankly I don't know that I could have ever obliged. I don't know what's in ANY of my LOR, not even a hint.

As for whether or not you'll be screwed without LOR from science profs who've taught you the best one to ask would be individual schools that you'll apply to. They answer questions like that all the time and should be happy to help. People here won't be able to tell you anything concrete.
Good luck

The premed committee in my school is very disorganized and really lags in completing LORs. If I ask them for one now, the letter will most likely not be available until August-September. I'm afraid that this committee letter will just delay my secondary apps and be more detrimental than beneficial. I feel like I have a good reason not to ask for a committee letter. Any advice?

I have a question about submitting extra LORs. I've heard various thoughts on the matter, about sending in letters that the school doesn't specifically request - can it hurt my app?

Here's a list of what I have:
Assoc. Dean of Admissions at the Med School I did an SMP at: very strong
Program director of my SMP: strong
Undergrad rowing coach: very strong
Undergrad research mentor: strong
Undergrad pchem professor: mediocre? I don't exactly know how good it is.
Undergrad economics professor: weak (basically, "Student XX took ECON102 and got an A")

I was planning on submitting all the letters except the econ one to all of my schools, but I don't know how great the pchem letter is (I don't have any reason to think it will be poor, but it won't be stellar) - should I include it? It would be my only undergraduate science professor letter (the two graduate letters I have were both from people who were professors).

I have a question about submitting extra LORs. I've heard various thoughts on the matter, about sending in letters that the school doesn't specifically request - can it hurt my app?

Undergrad economics professor: weak (basically, "Student XX took ECON102 and got an A")

I was planning on submitting all the letters except the econ one to all of my schools, but I don't know how great the pchem letter is (I don't have any reason to think it will be poor, but it won't be stellar) - should I include it? It would be my only undergraduate science professor letter (the two graduate letters I have were both from people who were professors).

Hmm, I don't know how much having an undergrad letter matters when you've got two graduate letters from professors of your SMP. I'm assuming those would count as science LOR.
Usually doesn't hurt to send a couple letters more than what a school asks for, but ALWAYS better to include things that you know will be positive. Extra mediocre letters will not help.

Figure out how many science and how many non-science LORs you need, and which of your letters will qualify based on a school's policy. Sometimes a school will specify that you need to have taken a class for them to count as a prof, or that research does or does not count as science, and etc. If you don't need the pchem and econ letters to fulfill those requirements, then I wouldn't include them and stick to just what you know is strong.

It probably doesn't hurt to get all the letters sent to AMCAS, just don't submit them to individual schools unless you need to. Some schools I sent 2 LORs, some schools I sent 7. It just varied depending on the policies and the school.

Sorry if this question has been asked before. I didn't go through this long thread so I apologize in advance. I am a non trad applicant and am taking either 2 or 3 years off. I don't plan on getting any other degree so my only science letters are from undergrad. I know that these letters will be old when I apply, but what other options do I have given that I'm out of school for some time? Thanks.

So my uni does not have any specific requirements for the letters of recommendation, nor do they have any "strongly" recommended ones. However it seems as though on SDN there is an unwritten rule of having 2 science professors write you a LOR. I understand why the letters from science prof's are normally held in high regard but the truth is I really just went to class and did what I had to do, and only spoke with the enormous-lecture science profs on rare occasions. I can get the letters if they are a must, however, I feel I can get the strongest letters from non-science profs (my major is psych). Advice?

Where the hell did you get the idea that it's an "unwritten rule"?

From Johns Hopkins' requirements:

5. Letters of Recommendation. A recom*mendation from the applicant's college pre*medical committee or an officially designated premedical advisor is required. If the college does not have a premedical advisor or pre*medical committee, two letters of recommen*dation are required from science faculty mem*bers in science departments who have taught the applicant and one non-science faculty member who has also taught the applicant. Applicants with advanced degrees and/or full time employment are required to submit rec*ommendations from persons who have supervised your work.

The only way to bypass the science LOR requirement is to have a premed committee letter, which it appears you do not. Do what you can to salvage a relationship with your professors who gave you As in their classes...

So my uni does not have any specific requirements for the letters of recommendation, nor do they have any "strongly" recommended ones. However it seems as though on SDN there is an unwritten rule of having 2 science professors write you a LOR. I understand why the letters from science prof's are normally held in high regard but the truth is I really just went to class and did what I had to do, and only spoke with the enormous-lecture science profs on rare occasions. I can get the letters if they are a must, however, I feel I can get the strongest letters from non-science profs (my major is psych). Advice?

Where the hell did you get the idea that it's an "unwritten rule"?

From Johns Hopkins' requirements:

5. Letters of Recommendation. A recom*mendation from the applicant’s college pre*medical committee or an officially designated premedical advisor is required. If the college does not have a premedical advisor or pre*medical committee, two letters of recommen*dation are required from science faculty mem*bers in science departments who have taught the applicant and one non-science faculty member who has also taught the applicant. Applicants with advanced degrees and/or full time employment are required to submit rec*ommendations from persons who have supervised your work.

The only way to bypass the science LOR requirement is to have a premed committee letter, which it appears you do not. Do what you can to salvage a relationship with your professors who gave you As in their classes...
Merging

Are you talking about your school's committee letter?

@huskydock the entire reason for my post is due to the fact that my school does not state any requirements for the LOR. that is exactly why I was asking for advice. I do not go to Johns Hopkins either.

@sector9 not a committee letter, just in general. I'm not saying I cant get a letter from a science prof, but my strongest would come from non-science. so i was just asking if the general consensus was that it is absolutely necessary to get a science letter, even if it is not stated that it is required. thanks.