*~*~*~*Official Letters of Recommendation Questions Thread 2014-2015*~*~*~*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for letting me know ;)

Members don't see this ad.

Quick Q: If your letter-writer is submitting electronically to AMCAS (and you have your letters assigned to your schools already) how quickly do the letters go from AMCAS to med school? Is there a delay?

Members don't see this ad :)
Quick Q: If your letter-writer is submitting electronically to AMCAS (and you have your letters assigned to your schools already) how quickly do the letters go from AMCAS to med school? Is there a delay?
It depends on the school. The letter is available immediately on AMCAS but the school has to initiate an action to get it. In my experience, schools seem to get that daily or every few days.

Reactions: 1 user
It depends on the school. The letter is available immediately on AMCAS but the school has to initiate an action to get it. In my experience, schools seem to get that daily or every few days.

o_O I would not have guessed that. Thank you!

Asking for next cycle (sorry if repeated in nontraditional thread but wanted some thoughts from this one) - I graduated from undergrad 5 years ago and had a committee letter packet when I applied in 2010 but didn't get in. Since then I've gone to grad school for an MPH in 2013, taken some post bac science courses in 2011, and worked full time for over a year and currently still working in a academic cancer center. I can get great letters from people I have worked with (done internships, masters thesis, job under direction of physicians and health admin/ grad profs) but realize that if my undergrad institution uses the committee letter that I will need to likely use it or contact schools to use alternate letters. What should I do? Thanks

Hey guys,

Can you add a new letter of recommendation to your file whenever during the application cycle? Assuming that your complete application (including the required LORS) was submitted well before the deadline?

Hey guys,

Can you add a new letter of recommendation to your file whenever during the application cycle? Assuming that your complete application (including the required LORS) was submitted well before the deadline?
AMCAS will allow you to add the LOR at any time. Whether the school will pull it from them or will pay any attention to it depends on the school. Some appreciate updates, some explicitly tell you not to send them anything else after the initial application.

Hello! I have what I believe may be a slight dilemma. I am a non-trad who's been out of school for about eight years now. I am part of a medical squadron in the Air National Guard and am in great standing, so my MD and DO letters are thankfully not a problem.

However, having been out of school for quite some time I would not be able to reach out to professors as at this point the wouldn't even remember me. I am taking a few online classes at Colorado State University and have the top grades in either class, the Professors are willing to write me letters because of this; but have expressed their concern that since they don't know me that well this might come out in the tone of the letter- making the letter not fully effective. Should I still ask for these letters?

One of the MD's who has offered to write me a letter is an Adjunct professor at one of the schools I am applying to, would this count as a science letter?

Let me know.

Hello! I have what I believe may be a slight dilemma. I am a non-trad who's been out of school for about eight years now. I am part of a medical squadron in the Air National Guard and am in great standing, so my MD and DO letters are thankfully not a problem.

However, having been out of school for quite some time I would not be able to reach out to professors as at this point the wouldn't even remember me. I am taking a few online classes at Colorado State University and have the top grades in either class, the Professors are willing to write me letters because of this; but have expressed their concern that since they don't know me that well this might come out in the tone of the letter- making the letter not fully effective. Should I still ask for these letters?

One of the MD's who has offered to write me a letter is an Adjunct professor at one of the schools I am applying to, would this count as a science letter?

Let me know.

First.......very happy that you guys still use the FAQ I wrote for this thread each year:love:.

Second....I think that this is one of those iffy situations that doesn't have a clear-cut answer. I am a big fan of getting the best possible letters that you can. When someone expresses concern that the letter they may write you is not going to be the best letter....I think this is a sign that they don't think they can write you a good letter.

The science letter usually means someone that had you as a student in their science class. Every school will have different qualifications for this. Like you, I was a non-trad applicant, and I ended up calling or emailing every single school I applied to and asked them about their letter requirements. Some said that a 2 science professor letter requirement was non-negotiable, but many said that they really just want your best letters. I had several employer letters because most of my time in the 8 years before med school was spent working. I only ended up having one true science letter. Since you have time, I would recommend trying to take one in-person science class to get a letter that way, and investigate the schools you plan to apply to and see what they are willing to accept. Personally, I think that at most schools, your experience in a medical squad and the resulting letters you will get from that will trump an intro bio class professor letter any day. And a school that doesn't think so will likely not value the experience you have....and probably would not be a place you would want to go. The application process often (but not always) has a surprising way of pushing you toward the place that is the best fit for you, and I think that playing up the real-life experience you have is a huge plus. I am on the admissions committee at my school, and when I interview, I really try to figure out what kind of real-life crap people have gone through, so I know that they can go through some more real-life crap in medicine.

I know that is not the best answer, but I hope it helps. Good luck, and you already sound like someone interesting that I would like to interview!

Reactions: 1 user
First.......very happy that you guys still use the FAQ I wrote for this thread each year:love:.

Second....I think that this is one of those iffy situations that doesn't have a clear-cut answer. I am a big fan of getting the best possible letters that you can. When someone expresses concern that the letter they may write you is not going to be the best letter....I think this is a sign that they don't think they can write you a good letter.

The science letter usually means someone that had you as a student in their science class. Every school will have different qualifications for this. Like you, I was a non-trad applicant, and I ended up calling or emailing every single school I applied to and asked them about their letter requirements. Some said that a 2 science professor letter requirement was non-negotiable, but many said that they really just want your best letters. I had several employer letters because most of my time in the 8 years before med school was spent working. I only ended up having one true science letter. Since you have time, I would recommend trying to take one in-person science class to get a letter that way, and investigate the schools you plan to apply to and see what they are willing to accept. Personally, I think that at most schools, your experience in a medical squad and the resulting letters you will get from that will trump an intro bio class professor letter any day. And a school that doesn't think so will likely not value the experience you have....and probably would not be a place you would want to go. The application process often (but not always) has a surprising way of pushing you toward the place that is the best fit for you, and I think that playing up the real-life experience you have is a huge plus. I am on the admissions committee at my school, and when I interview, I really try to figure out what kind of real-life crap people have gone through, so I know that they can go through some more real-life crap in medicine.

I know that is not the best answer, but I hope it helps. Good luck, and you already sound like someone interesting that I would like to interview!
That actually is pretty good advice. I don't really have time this cycle to do the in house class, as I am already applying somewhat late in the cycle.

What I think I'll do is I will get my letters from my squadron, and the science letters, but call the admissions departments where I get secondaries and explain my situation to see what they would like. If they would be willing to accept just the letters from doc's who know me well and whom I've served under, or if they absolutely require the science professor letters.

From the feedback in your post this seems like the wisest course of action, let me know if you have any further suggestions, and thank you very much for reply.

That actually is pretty good advice. I don't really have time this cycle to do the in house class, as I am already applying somewhat late in the cycle.

What I think I'll do is I will get my letters from my squadron, and the science letters, but call the admissions departments where I get secondaries and explain my situation to see what they would like. If they would be willing to accept just the letters from doc's who know me well and whom I've served under, or if they absolutely require the science professor letters.

From the feedback in your post this seems like the wisest course of action, let me know if you have any further suggestions, and thank you very much for reply.

You're welcome, and I'm sorry about the recommendation to take a science course; I somehow mind-melded your post with a post above you that said the question was for next cycle.

If you *do* end up applying next cycle, you could do this; otherwise your plan sounds great. You may also want to add some schools in that you hadn't previously considered depending on their treatment of letters. I actually did that with the school I ended up in. I didn't apply to them originally, but once I realized that a school's secondary questions are pretty revealing (re: the school's personality) I went through the school specific threads, read the secondary prompts, and added three more schools based on that - all three of which I interviewed at, and 2 accepted me, one I withdrew from.

You're welcome, and I'm sorry about the recommendation to take a science course; I somehow mind-melded your post with a post above you that said the question was for next cycle.

If you *do* end up applying next cycle, you could do this; otherwise your plan sounds great. You may also want to add some schools in that you hadn't previously considered depending on their treatment of letters. I actually did that with the school I ended up in. I didn't apply to them originally, but once I realized that a school's secondary questions are pretty revealing (re: the school's personality) I went through the school specific threads, read the secondary prompts, and added three more schools based on that - all three of which I interviewed at, and 2 accepted me, one I withdrew from.
No need to apologize for well meaning but inadvertently misplaced advice. Thank you very much once again for your feedback.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi guys I wanted to know how LOR services such as Interfolio works? Does the applcant have to have an active login account or does the letter writer has to have an account? Also if the applicant has to have the account how would the letter writer upload the letter to your account? Please help me. Thank You for your time.

Hi everyone,

Firstly, it's so great to see the wonderful advice being given on this thread! I'm glad I found SDN as I prepare my application.

I'm a non-traditional applicant. I graduated from college in 2010 (molecular biology) and from graduate school in 2012 (I was in a PhD program for molecular biology but left with a masters). I worked at a silicon valley marketing startup for 1 year after graduate school, and now for over a year I have been working at a health and wellness video production startup.

I am fortunate enough to be receiving a committee letter from my alma mater. I am planning on having the following recommenders:
-Undergraduate PI
-Graduate PI - Extremely famous, Nobel likely. She knows me well and likes me.
-English Professor from undergrad. She previously wrote me a recommendation for graduate school.
-Current boss (VP of Marketing & Business Insights). She and I have a wonderful relationship. She is very much a mentor to me and greatly respects my work.

Those are my confirmed letter writers. I am also considering the following:

-A PI I worked with one summer in college and then rotated in his lab my first year of graduate school. He previously wrote me a recommendation for graduate school.
-The CEO of my current company. She and I work closely together and we have a great relationship. She is an extremely successful Silicon Valley veteran (not that that will necessarily mean anything for adcoms...)
-A student activities employee at my college. I worked with her for 3 years on a pre-orientation program for freshmen where we introduced them to volunteer opportunities in the local community.
-My boss at my previous company. She loved me and consistently gave me performance reviews with near perfect scores and helped me rise through the company quite quickly. However, I Was working in a totally non-health/science related field, so I'm not sure how helpful this will be.

My committee letter writer is concerned that I do not have a letter of recommendation planned from a recent volunteer coordinator, mentor, or extracurricular director/coach. Is this a legitimate concern? Aside from my work experience post-graduate school, I haven't developed relationships that are deep enough to receive a quality letter.

My thoughts on this are that letters from my current company will serve as both professional and mentor letters. At my company, our mission statement is to help people lead healthier, happier lives. A large part of my job is talking to our members (members pay monthly to watch our cooking, yoga, and fitness instructional videos), aiding and cheering them on their path to wellness, and developing tools to make their journey easier. I have received substantial accolades for my intense concern for the health and happiness of our members and for the work I've done to craft our brands views and messaging on nutrition and exercise.

oof, I realize I have just typed a lot. Any insights you have would be wonderful.

TL;DR - Non traditional applicant. Committee letter writer has concerns that I don't have volunteer coordinator, mentor, or extracurricular director/coach recommendation from the past year or two. I think my recommendations from my current work may satiate these needs, but I'm not sure. Am I in a good place? Advice appreciated!

Hey guys, does anyone remember the name of the company that will review your letters via interfolio, rank them, and let you know if you should use them or not (without confidential details)?? Thanks!

I'm a non-traditional applicant, set to start a post-bac program next month because my science courses are about 10 years old. I've also been out of work for a couple years due to licensing issues with my profession. Thinking ahead, will the following 4 LORs be ok?

Letter from a mother whose son I tutored in high school science/math
Paralegal program professor (an attorney) whom I took 3 classes under
Pre-med committee letter
Someone I worked with or under as a volunteer (I plan on volunteering in Spring 2016), or maybe a patient I potentially get close with while volunteering

I hope those will be enough. I contemplated asking for a possible (future) LOR from professor(s) in my post-bac program, but I feel odd asking a professor whom I took one class with, especially if a class is large with 50+ students in it. Unless I constantly ask questions during class (which I rarely do), basic science professors probably won't get to know me. It seems like the only thing they could comment on is how well I did on tests, homework, and labs. To me, that's not enough to write about someone. I'd rather prefer a pre-med committee letter, since that would encapsulate the grades earned in the entire program (not just 1 class with a single professor).

I took the liberty of bolding the only useful letter you have. Go to office hours at your post bacc, get to know your professors and get letters from them

Thanks, but I can't trust anything you say on here (especially from someone who's trolling my posts). I still can't believe how a medical student can comment on what letters are actually useful. I thought admissions committees or deans of universities are qualified to make judgment calls like that.

So amazing lol. Baffles my mind. I regret even asking the question about LORs on here. It's not the right venue for it.

Psai is right.

Look up the requirements for the institutions you plan to apply.

Sometimes schools allow LORs from volunteer coordinators or a supervisor.

http://hpplc.indiana.edu/medicine/med-apply-lor.shtml

http://www.studentdoctor.net/2014/04/letters-of-recommendation-for-medical-school/

Medical students help out people all the time. We have been through the process and applied to many different schools. I was a nontrad applicant so I had to ask around for LOR requirements.

Yeah it's not like I've applied to medical school or anything. And calling me a medical student as if it were an insult is silly when it's a very difficult accomplishment and when it's your goal. You've been here a month and you think you're something. But you don't know jack.

I'm guessing that I know more than someone who is planning on turning in a letter of recommendation from someone's mom. Next time, when someone helps you, just say thanks and end it there

Last edited:
Psai is right.

Look up the requirements for the institutions you plan to apply.

Sometimes schools allow LORs from volunteer coordinators or a supervisor.

http://hpplc.indiana.edu/medicine/med-apply-lor.shtml

http://www.studentdoctor.net/2014/04/letters-of-recommendation-for-medical-school/

Medical students help out people all the time. We have been through the process and applied to many different schools. I was a nontrad applicant so I had to ask around for LOR requirements.

Thanks for the info, but that link mentioned nothing about what to do if you're a non-traditional applicant, especially if you've been out of school for a while. It also makes no mention of post-bac program students. The LOR process seems specifically geared towards those in 4-year universities. Therefore, I'm sure that exceptions are made for the non-trads.

You are very much correct - the process is geared towards recent graduates. That does not mean that you will get any significant breaks for being a non-trad and for having all that life experience. You may be able to get some leeway from schools for being in a not very typical situation but what you are listing here are not very convincing LOR sources. You want LORs from someone who has known you for a considerable amount of time from a position in which he can evaluate you in a manner significant to the school.

Also, finding out when you joined the site does not require anything like stalking at all - your join date is right under your nick, it is actually rather hard to miss.

I'd like to think that non-trad applicants have more experience than your garden-variety medical student who went from college directly to medical school. Makes sense how med schools would value the non-trad a lot more than the "straight collegiate" route students. I'm not saying that's you because I honestly do not know. Only you would know that, obviously. But as for you saying "you don't know jack," you are sadly mistaken. I'll always be proud to be non-traditional and beating to my own drum. Sorry if that clashes with you...not my problem.

And thanks for keeping up on how long I've been here. Just proves my point that you're a stalker, seeing my posts and what-not. News flash: you don't own this forum.

Everyone has a right to healthy skepticism but you're starting to sound like a jerk.

As a nontrad you should understand that it doesn't matter what you think. You have to find out what admissions wants. Then you have to deliver it to them.

Here are guidelines from AAMC:
https://www.aamc.org/download/332578/data/lettersguidelinesbrochure.pdf

If the AAMC thinks it's important then it's probably more important than what you think. They want the writer to asses your thinking (science), reasoning (science), interpersonal, and interpersonal competencies.

I like this part:
Medical schools value committee letters because they provide an integrated and institutional perspective on an applicant’s readiness for medical school. They provide a comprehensive evaluation of applicants based on direct observation and the synthesis of information provided by faculty and others at an institution. This integrated perspective provides unique and valuable information about applicants.

Would someone's mother be able to write you a letter of recommendation that fulfills those guidelines? Depends on what subject she has a PhD in.

A pre-med committee can do a better job.

If you still don't believe me then go PM Goro, LizzyM, or gyngyn. They are faculty members at medical schools.

Hello, everyone! I wanted to voice some concerns so I could get your advice...

I'm getting a letter from my faculty advisor for my honor's thesis project, which is in math (which is considered a science letter in MD schools, but non-science for DO schools). He's a very nice man, but he is a second-generation Chinese man and his English is sort of lackluster. What would you recommend?

I know some science professors, so that shouldn't be as much of a concern.

I'm also concerned about the physician letter. I know it's not always required, but for a lot of DO schools, they want one. I've seen posts stating that the doctors you shadow may not be able to write good letters, so what do people normally do for strong physician's letters?

Hello, everyone! I wanted to voice some concerns so I could get your advice...

I'm getting a letter from my faculty advisor for my honor's thesis project, which is in math (which is considered a science letter in MD schools, but non-science for DO schools). He's a very nice man, but he is a second-generation Chinese man and his English is sort of lackluster. What would you recommend?

I know some science professors, so that shouldn't be as much of a concern.

I'm also concerned about the physician letter. I know it's not always required, but for a lot of DO schools, they want one. I've seen posts stating that the doctors you shadow may not be able to write good letters, so what do people normally do for strong physician's letters?

Physicians usually don't have a lot of free time on their hands and don't know what o write in a LOR.

Print something like this out:
https://portal.lecom.edu/ErieDOLetterofRecommendationInstructions.pdf

Give that to the physician so they have an idea of what they should write about. It helps speed things along.

1) Is it better to have as many strong LORs as one can? Or is there a point of diminishing return?
By the time I apply, I will have 2 LORs from the two PIs I have worked with. I will also have up to 3 other strong LORs from science faculty, but at least 1. One LOR is from a Genetics professor I am helping out as a student TA. I received two A+s from her classes an talked to her about my aspirations/career goals and did some other independent work with her. My other two potential LORs would come from other faculty. One from a biochem class which I got an A+ in and talked with the professor about various course topics, my career goals, and showed active participation in the class. I am also taking another advanced molecular bio class with him. The other would be from a professor that I plan to take an upper division bio class and a graduate level class with. She has seen my research potential as a sophomore and seems genuinely interested in my academic well-being. In any case, is there any point in this many LORs? I have 3 strong LORs secured already, but will probably have 5 LORs by the time I graduate just because of how I naturally learn better by asking questions and going to office hours. Just trying to figure out if it's worth asking some faculty for LORs, what letters to send to what schools, etc.
2) Non-science LOR from science faculty teaching a non-science course? Is anything outside of BCMP considered a non-science LOR? Approximately how many schools require a non-science LOR?
So there are a few multidisciplinary classes I'm interested in taking and figured I might as well ask these professors for a non-science LOR. Some of the classes are taught by faculty in BCMP but focus on social implications of science (i.e. global food supply and its social and political aspects taught by a plant science professor). I've looked at a few school websites and found that only a few specific require a non-science LOR. Most require at least 1 or 2 of the 3 LORs be from science faculty. Maybe I shouldn't be THAT worried about getting a non-science LOR?

Thanks a bunch!​

Question - I am sending in one additional LOR this week to AMCAS to be sent to a handful of schools I haven't heard back from or have been put on hold with. Should I also individually email the adcoms to tell them they should expect an additional letter to support my app? I've looked up the info for the ones who will not accept any new information already so it would only be to those who will. Thanks!

So, before I get to my question I need to provide some background. I am currently in a QA/QI Class where we work on a QA or QI project with a third year medical student for the student health clinic. I am currently working on a QA and QI that will result in a poster to be presented. My professor for the class who has spent the last 30+ years working for Mt. Sinai and now NJMS teaching the med students (combined), told us that this is considered hands on clinical experience and getting a recommendation from the medical student would be a plus for a med app. I was just wondering if he was full of cr*p or is it actually worth it to ask the third year for a rec. (Either way I was also planning on possibly asking this professor for a rec.)

I am planning to apply for the 2016 cycle. However, I wont be able to get my last science LOR in until mid August. How much will this hurt me? Am I better off waiting for the 2017 cycle?

He would be considered an instructor and is perfectly fine to use as non-science LOR

Do you think my supervisor would be an ok replacement for my non science prof? Im a little desperate.

Hey everyone. I greatly appreciate your wisdom on this one (I know the answer is probably buried in some other thread but couldn't find it).

My AMCAS app is ready to go: statement and activities written, transcripts all marked 'received' and I am in good shape. I have four LORs being worked on. All should be uploaded to Interfolio on or shortly before/after June 15th. Is this going to hold me back in any way? Should I have insisted on having the letters go with my primary?

THANK YOU

Clarification question: I worked in a research lab for microbiology credit with a Doctor (PhD) and he's writing a letter for me, can he count as a science teacher? He taught me a lot of different lab techniques and we worked on a project together?

I have another professor as a back up, but he hasn't been very responsive to my emails :S

This is a re-post, I posted in the wrong thread- sorry about that.

Does anyone know what to do if your school does have a premedical committee but you aren't applying through them? I wanted to join the pre-med program late into my undergrad. I was told that the program is geared towards freshman and sophomores who haven't taken premed prequisites and haven't done any ECs. When I wanted to join, I was already an upper junior and done with my prereqs and well on my with ECs, which is why I was told the program wouldn't be helpful for me. The problem is... a lot of schools want a letter explaining why someone who had access to a premed committee didn't use it. Does anyone have any experience or advice about this? I have eight STRONG recommendation letters so it's not like I was a delinquent student or anything like that.

Truth be told, even though this puts me in a sticky spot, I'm glad I didn't go through my undergrad's pre-med committee. The whole office has massive internal issues.

To be clear,

"You can continue to add/assign letters after the initial submission of your application but you cannot edit or delete existing information after your initial submission."

This means that I can create letter entries AND assign them to appropriate schools after submitting the primary right? I was going to leave the LORs tab untouched until after submitting my primary, but I'm not sure whether or not I have to create the letter entries first.

I plan to use my university's committee review letter as I did before and my plan is to add an additional letter from my current employer (a physician and practice owner) to the review composite. However, it's possible that he won't be finished with the letter in time for the review composite deadline and I may end up needing to submit his letter at a later date to AMCAS directly. Can anyone comment as to whether a stand-alone letter sent in addition to the committee letter will be looked at as less valuable? I know that many schools strongly value the material in committee letters and am wondering if my employer's letter if sent independently won't receive the same consideration because it hadn't undergone the same vetting process.

Are most medical schools strict about their maximum letters of recommendation letters accepted? Is it a big deal if you send them more than that?

Are most medical schools strict about their maximum letters of recommendation letters accepted? Is it a big deal if you send them more than that?

You have 3 issues in submitting more letters than requested and/or over maximum.

1) Some schools are sticklers about this and you should review each school's website for indications of this. for every school you have applied to, you have read their website carefully as well as the MSAR. A few have statements such as applicants should not send more that 4 letters.

2) Your extra letters may not make it into the file or part of packet that applications readers/evaluators get and you will have no control over which ones do make it. Many, if not most, schools have moved to an online application intake system, mostly with AMCAS provided services or that interface directly with AMCAS. Part of the system is document management and noting when application file is complete and ready for review with primary, secondary. MCAT, and LOR/LOE. These systems may have a limited number of "slots" for letters and/or are set to mark application complete when the required number of letters have been received (assuming all other pieces are there), even though you have noted more are coming At that point some schools may send a paper copy, pdf file, or some other non-updating system to the reader/evaluator and they would see only the letters received to that point. If you had say requested 6 letters to come in and the first 3 received were from 2 physicians you shadowed and a work supervisor, while the 2 professor's and PI's letters are later. The reader may not see them.

3) At the opposite end if all your letter dont showup, the school may hold your file as incomplete waiting to that extra letter. If that happens, you file may be reviewed and evaluated latter in the cycle, where interview slots are becoming more limited.

In sum, get the required number of letters from writers who will give you a strong evaluation. Going overboard on letters really serves little purpose

Are most schools really strict about the professor having taught one of your sciences courses? One of my writers taught me and the other I worked for as her TA for about 2 and a half years in general biology, do I need to try and find one more?

Are most schools really strict about the professor having taught one of your sciences courses? One of my writers taught me and the other I worked for as her TA for about 2 and a half years in general biology, do I need to try and find one more?

Schools will state either 1)letters from a science professor you took a course with (most common) OR 2) letters from science faculty.

What the adcoms are most wanting to see is an evaluation of you in a science course. While your letter from faculty as your ability as a TA will likely be perfectly acceptable to an adcom, some schools maybe sticklers about LOR specs and frown upon this. However, it is unlikely that you will rejected on not technically fulfilling the requirements

Schools will state either 1)letters from a science professor you took a course with (most common) OR 2) letters from science faculty.

What the adcoms are most wanting to see is an evaluation of you in a science course. While your letter from faculty as your ability as a TA will likely be perfectly acceptable to an adcom, some schools maybe sticklers about LOR specs and frown upon this. However, it is unlikely that you will rejected on not technically fulfilling the requirements

That's great news! Thank you!

Does anyone know what happens in this scenario: My research PI was also my teacher for a Directed Research Class in the Biology Department (labeled BISC-490x, so it was an actual biology class I had to register for and counted as a Biology requurement). I had him write me a letter of recommendation as one of my science professors, but in his recommendation he only spoke about my time working in his lab (the class itself is all lab work since its Directed Research). This counts as a science professor recommendation correct? Would I have to let the schools that I applied to know in some way?

I am freaking out. I am applying to both MD and DO programs. I have one excellent letter from a science prof, another from a non-science professor. I have a superb one from an oral surgeon. Will that DDS jeopardize my application? I am still waiting from an MD. I e-mailed so many DO's but no luck so far. I am already applying late, and this is killing me.

Status
Not open for further replies.