*~*~*~*Official Letters of Recommendation Questions Thread 2016-2017*~*~*~*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I havent had anyone that I know of who was rejected solely on the basis of technical non-fulfillment of LOR requirement. Some schools specifically note/recommend nontrads get work supervisor or other type as replacement. Simply taking a course to get a letter seems just so utterly useless for both you and the medical school. The quality of the letter is far, far, more important than the specific requirement.

That makes me feel a lot better; Thanks a lot :)

Members don't see this ad.

Can a TA letter of recommendation be used as a non-science letter? I know that it is frowned upon for the science letters, but I wasn't sure about non-science because I've read that schools are more lenient for non-science letters. In this case, I am certain that the letter will be extremely positive and strong. Also, if it makes any difference the TA has multiple master's degrees, and has had a long history of writing students letters of recommendation for medical school.

1) yes it can be used
2) it is "frowned upon" and may have less impact with an adcom (science or non-science)
3) quality of the letter will have most impact
4) If it is a TA, then having the faculty counter sign would be useful

Thank you for the answer :) I will try and get my english professor to write a letter but if not I'm certain the TA's letter will be of very good quality.

Members don't see this ad :)
I was previously an elementary education major for three years before switching into a science-related major. Originally, I wanted to obtain a PhD and do research/teach. As I learned more, I realized medicine was important to me. This happened two years after leaving elementary education, and oddly most of the professors I was connected to have since retired/moved on from the university. Because I made this switch so late, I have not taken one non-science related course since, and I do not need any more for graduation.

The one professor from my elementary education days that I most respected and connected with is still reasonably nearby, albeit not at the university anymore. She was an adjunct professor who taught elementary education middle school philosophy and science content courses while also being a science teacher to middle school students. I took two courses from her. She is now teaching middle school science full-time. She is the one non-science professor who can best speak to my time during elementary education, but she is no longer at a university and does not hold a PhD (she does have a masters from my university). Would this letter qualify as a non-science faculty LOR that holds weight (given the content of the letter is good), or should I plan to take another non-science course in the future?

Last edited:
Hey guys, just wanted to clarify a couple of things. So I am going to be using Interfolio, do you think I am doing fine with the timing? How is everyone else doing?
Also, is it alright that there is still no "AMCAS 2017 Delivery" available in Interfolio? Should I still go ahead and start collecting the letters? I figured you'd be able to assign the letters to the new AMCAS once it becomes available, right? (I suppose when AMCAS opens). Thanks!

Thanks for putting all this info out everyone!

So I'm a pharmacist who graduated with my BS in 2009 and PharmD in 2013 and decided to keep the fun going. I have 2 letters from faculty/dean both who advised and taught classes I took (professional level non-science) and 3 other letters from my boss and physicians I work with abroad in Honduras each year and at clinics locally.

Question: There is no chance of tracking down undergrad profs. Most of our science profs in pharm school taught individual lectures (pathophys or pharmacology for a specific dx state) or blocks lasting a week or so, but even these courses were between 4-7 years ago. How bad is not having a science prof letter going to hurt?

I assume the answer is depends on the school and do your best to track someone down. Agreed! Figured I take any thoughts and advice. Thanks in advance!

Hello everyone!

I am okay in receiving two science faculty letters and one non-science faculty letter. However, I am not sure from whom to get additional letters. I can get strong recommendations from a couple (or more) physicians I worked for for a few years, one good volunteer letter (from an attorney who was a volunteer supervisor at an event that I volunteered at for three consecutive years with my spouse who is an attorney), an average letter from researchers I worked for (8 months), or one strong letter from a supervisor at a state college I tutored at.

My undergrad recommends that I get two of these additional letters, and the schools I will apply to want letters from people "who know me well." Which of the two should I get/would be viewed the best by admissions committee?

Thank you to anyone who is willing to help.

I have a letter from a non-sci instructor. His formal title is "Lecturer", not professor, but basically does the same thing a professor would do (teach, give tests, office hours, etc). Would this fulfill the non-sci requirement?

Is my anatomy professor able to satisfy one of the letters from a "science" professor?

I believe I waived my right to see my committee letter. How would I waive it for an independent letter from my PI? Is there a form or a checkbox somewhere I'm not seeing?

EDIT: I called AAMC and they said that waiving is assumed on the AMCAS? So they said I don't have to check anything...? Super confused.

Last edited:
One of my letter writers was a professor at my college and then he moved to a different college. What do I select for the question asking whether or not the letter writer is a part of the school that I go to? Thanks!

When generating the Letter ID for letters of recommendation, it requires the "Address" of the letter writer. What is this address? Is it their legal residence or can I just write in the address of the college I go to?
Also, am I able to generate the Letter ID for each letter and then come back to change/add information to it?
Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
So last cycle someone posted a word doc list of all the schools, and whether they require 2 science, 1 science and one professor etc. I looked up Texas schools on that list, and apparently they only require 1 science. Which is good for me, since I was planning on my second letter coming from my mentor and psychology professor. I know a lot of people think that not having 2 science letters is a disadvantage, but honestly I would rather have 3 letters from 3 people who really know me as a person. Since my other science letters I was considering were coming from 200+ students where I only had a few conversations, I feel like i'm going to stick with this. Does anyone have any thoughts about this? Thanks!

Ok guys, please get ready for me to sound like an idiot.
I haven't had a relationship with a single professor outside of class (except for my PI, who doesn't really like me).
These are the three professors I'd ask for a recommendation (will have gotten an A in all of these classes):
Cell Bio Professor I'm TA'ing for- Mildly fond of me, knows almost nothing about me beyond my name
Science Fiction Literature Professor- I'm a pretty active participant and this is a small, discussion based class. Pretty sure she likes me but she only knows me in class and I've only had her for one semester.
Differential Equations Professor or Multivariable Calc Professor- Neither can attach my face to my name. I attend the lectures (which have 100+ people), but have never participated. The graduate TA knows more about me, since the recitation sections are small, but I don't think we can ask grad students for recommendations.

Obviously most of these recommendations will be mediocre. Should I still go ahead with applying or am I dead on arrival? I really don't want to wait a year because of this issue.

I asked my letter writers to mail the letters by post to interfolio. Is that okay?

I also offered to meet with them if they want me to pay for postage.

For some reason, the online submission link from interfolio is not sent to the university emails so I had to do an old fashioned request and attached the PDF from interfolio.

Is this okay and did I do anything rude?

Also, when is a good time to call/meet with the letter writers to make sure they started or are aware of the letters?

How long does postage usually take for those who used this method on interfolio?

Thanks a lot!

Gonnif,

I know you cannot delete letters on AMCAS but you can note that they're no longer being sent, is that interpreted negatively?

I had asked an orgo prof from last year who I had an excellent relationship with but he fell of the face of the earth recently and it was a few months before he responded to my email, I already decided to go with other writers and completed my committee review. He just contacted me letting me know he's been gone because he had very serious surgery recently and is still recovering, he asked that I type up a conversation we had so he can copy and paste it into a letter. Obviously, this is a strenuous time for him and I don't need the letter, I have 5 already. I suggested he not worry about it but he insisted that he will get to it.

I'm concerned that some of the complications he is having will prevent him from sending it. Which is fine, his health is more important . I'm just wondering about how it is perceived when marked no longer being sent.

Ok guys, please get ready for me to sound like an idiot.
I haven't had a relationship with a single professor outside of class (except for my PI, who doesn't really like me).
These are the three professors I'd ask for a recommendation (will have gotten an A in all of these classes):
Cell Bio Professor I'm TA'ing for- Mildly fond of me, knows almost nothing about me beyond my name
Science Fiction Literature Professor- I'm a pretty active participant and this is a small, discussion based class. Pretty sure she likes me but she only knows me in class and I've only had her for one semester.
Differential Equations Professor or Multivariable Calc Professor- Neither can attach my face to my name. I attend the lectures (which have 100+ people), but have never participated. The graduate TA knows more about me, since the recitation sections are small, but I don't think we can ask grad students for recommendations.

Obviously most of these recommendations will be mediocre. Should I still go ahead with applying or am I dead on arrival? I really don't want to wait a year because of this issue.
bump please help me out

bump please help me out

Dude, calm down. Other people (including myself) have questions as well. You only posted 8 hrs ago, people have to wake up and have other obligations. Be patient and grateful that we even have an opportunity to get help from people who know so much.

Dude, calm down. Other people (including myself) have questions as well. You only posted 8 hrs ago, people have to wake up and have other obligations. Be patient and grateful that we even have an opportunity to get help from people who know so much.
sorry dude I'm just freaking out about this

Just to confirm, you asked the professors that they would write the letters before sending the interfolio requests?
When you say postage, as in stamps and post office? Paper can always get lost.
Any particular reason for interfolio and not AMCAS directly?

I asked them if they would be willing to write me a LoR. They said sure.

I emailed them my CV, mailing address and the PDF sheet they need to print and attach with the LoR.

yup. postage and mail.

I chose interfolio because I am not sure if I wanna apply MD or DO and also if I don't get in this cycle, I will be able to have the letters stored for whenever I need them

I dont think you are dead on arrival. You are just more in couch potato shape than a athletic prime when it comes to letters.

1) Cell Bio: Class & TA is fine (science)
2) Sci-Fi : small class (non-science) is fine
3) Calc : Get TA to write and professor to counter sign (science at most schools)
Thanks man this is really reassuring

You have two stages of submitting the letter, well three actually
1) optional: upload to interfolio
2) upload to AMCAS (or transfer from Interfolio to AMCAS)
3) Assignment in AMCAS to specific schools.

Thank you! Sounds like leaving it unassigned will be the easiest route for now.

I know that AMCAS says it may take up to 15 days for a mailed letter to be uploaded in their system. I would assume interfolio is the same.

To All: Please Note
Letters Do Not Have to be submitted with AMCAS/AACOMAS primary application
Letters Are Not verified by AMCAS/ACCOMAS
Letters Can Be Submitted After Primary Application
Letters Are typically part of the secondary application process

Do you suggest I try and meet with them next week or the week after to make sure they got my email? I also wanna give them money for the postage ( IDK if the university will cover it)

This is why I keep a valium salt lick in the student waiting area

IDK if what state you live in, but if its colorado, you might get something more "herbal" lol

Hey guys, my professor at my community college has agreed to write me a letter of evaluation.
He is an associate professor, Assistant Dean of Math & Science, and he has a PhD degree.

What would be the right prefix to put on the AMCAS and TMDSAS system?

Thanks in advance!

"to whom it may concern" which is most common or "members of the admissions committee"

I would go with the first
Hi gonnif, thank you for helping me out :D
My question wasn't too clear I guess.. from the AMCAS online system there is a spot when I try to add a letter that reads as the following:
"Primary Contact/Author's Prefix"

I am trying to decide whether I should put him as "Prof." vs "Dr."
I feel like emphasizing the fact that my Community College professor holds a PhD degree rather than a MS will put more weight to the letter.. hence the question here.

Last edited:
I'm having a hard time finding a non-science LOR any advice would be appreciated :). Most of my non-science classes have been taken online with professors that are not very familiar with me. I did have a great graduate student who taught me for two semesters for Spanish 1 and Spanish 2 I was wondering which would be preferred a great letter from a graduate student teacher or a very mediocre letter from a professor I've never met.

With regards to a non science professor, I took a comp sci course. One professor was the teacher for it and another professor oversaw the online component. I formed a connection with the professor who oversaw the online component. On my transcript, I does not show his name as the teacher, so would he not count for the non science req?

He/she is fine; the letter will say how he/she knows you. Adcoms dont connect letters to transcript listings

So when he writes the letter, I should tell him to mention how I was in regards to the class? He is also my research mentor.

So things in the letter should include, my performance in the class, how I am as a person, how I was in regards to research, and other things worth mentioning about me

Curious about whether these would be considered science LOE's

1) Tenure-track, PhD, course is muscle physiology through the department of kinesiology. This is also my adviser for the organization I've founded on campus

2) Adjunct faculty, PhD, courses were in motor behavior (motor development & also motor learning) through the department of kinesiology. Additionally, I've TA'd for this instructor twice, and took a writing course that he was teaching.

I am mainly concerned about the second writer since motor behavior isn't really seen as strong of a science as physiology, physics, etc.

Feedback is much appreciated!

my LoR writers told me that I can come pickup my letter from them.

So if I mail it to interfolio myself, would that be ok?

How damning is it if I only have one science letter? It's a long story, but as of today it looks like one of mine has fallen through. I will have two from my major, one from a chemistry class, and one from an advisor who knows me extremely well.

When entering a committee letter into AMCAS, it still prompts you (via a red asterisk) to enter a first and last name. What should I enter in this field? My pre-med adviser's first and last name?

Thank you.

Can a script-like font in Microsoft Word or the signature option in a PDF count as a signature? Or does it have to be handwritten?

Hi! I accidently hit the wrong thread before, but I asked this question:
"Quick question, is it frowned upon to get a letter from a professor that AMCAS won't have a grade for? For example, i'm taking an english class now, and I really hit it off with the professor and am doing well in the class. I asked her to write a letter and she agreed, but by the time grades are finalized, I will have already submitted my application. Is that alright?"

Got a reply from @gonnif saying yes, but i'm not sure what the yes was to (Yes its ok or yes its frowned upon)
Thanks!

Two questions:

1. Is it possibly acceptable to bring (or mail) a paper letter to a school in a sealed envelope with a signature across the flap? I have one or maybe two letter writers who would provide me with these, including a school-specific intro paragraph. I feel like the schools might really like a targeted letter. The AMCAS Letter Service only allows 10 letters, so I can do far more targeted letters this way. My tentative plan is to do 8 letters this way, 2 letters each for 4 schools. I have chosen 4 schools that I really like with a range of average MCAT scores and GPA. Or will this make me look crazy?

2. Is it possibly acceptable to send a letter as a Supplemental Letter so that it arrives early, and then send the same letter as part of a Committee Letter Packet that arrives like two or three months later? Or will this make me look crazy?

My undergraduate school doesn't have a committee so I have to send individual letters. I have several letters of recommendation from faculty of a medical school that I am currently working at in a gap year. I see that there are schools that require faculty that gave me a grade, but many just say 2 science and 1 non science "faculty" without the grade condition. Would med schools take these letters even though I'm not a non-traditional applicant? Thanks!

I would wonder why you dont have letter from faculty of a school you attended. LORs are expected from people who know you in an academic classroom setting. you need at the very least one or two of these

Thanks for the reply. I have two letters from undergraduate faculty who taught me but my other ones are from the med school I'm working at because I felt they would write much stronger letters since I have worked closely with them for a year. I'm just worried these other letters wouldn't be accepted to fulfill the minimum requirements.

Does it matter whether I upload the letters myself vs having the letter writers make an account on Interfolio/AMCAS and then upload it? Some letter writers find it more convenient to just hand me the physical letter

I worked in a research lab for a little over a year as an RA, but I barely got to know the professor in charge of the lab because I almost exclusively worked with the lab manager who delegated tasks that I helped out with (which were tasks for projects of the graduate students, and rarely the PI's projects). I learned a lot during my time in that lab, and I'm very happy with the performance that I demonstrated, but I only really got close with the lab manager and not the professor. Is there a standard way to go about getting a good LOR in this type of situation? Is it common for someone like a lab manager to write the LOR, which would then be signed by the PI? If so, should I approach the lab manager first, or should I approach the PI who will then speak with the lab manager himself? I'm shooting for some research-intensive schools, so I know it would be a red flag if I didn't get a LOR from this >1-year-long experience, which is why I really want to figure this out.

@gonnif

Hi-

I graduated from PSU in May 2015, and have taken a gap year and will be applying in June. During my undergrad career I attended 2 PSU branch campuses, and never actually went to the main campus. The committee letter comes from the main PSU campus, but since I never actually went to school there and have been out of school for a year, I decided to use individual letters. I obtained multiple very strong letters from professors I've known for 4+ years, and research supervisors from my post grad full-time research position.

Do you think this will put me at a disadvantage?

I honestly did not want to put a committee that I don't even know in charge of portraying me as an applicant. I thought including FULL letters from individuals I know will be writing me a superb letter would be more beneficial than little blurbs in the committee letter. I don't have anything to hide. I have 509 MCAT and 3.96 GPA.

Thanks!

A professor of mine that is writing my LOR is no longer teaching at my university, so should I still affiliate him with my school or should I affiliate him with the community college he is teaching at now? Although he did teach at my school, he was let go not under the best circumstances so I'm not too sure on this...maybe I'm overthinking haha. The address part I'll just list where he teaches now. Thanks!!!

Hi friends,

So far my LOR's are going....mediocre. I am waiting on my PI/Biology professor to finish writing his, the same for a Rotarian (community service), as well as my clinical supervisor (I work as an EMT). It's been tough since I have had other professors that I have previously asked either back out or say no, even though I thought I had decent relationships with them. I asked my dance instructor (non science LOE) who said that he was too busy, as well as my biochem teacher/other PI (who is seemingly MIA and not returning calls/emails for the past two months).
So, today I am taking the action of sending out another request to my Advanced O-Chem teacher, and I hate it. It is so late in the game that its hard not to sound like I am grasping at straws, yet I have seemingly gone through the list of the professors that know me best and am now beginning to ask those that hopefully will remember me.
What are my options if this last professor says no? I have one other science professor I could ask, but it is really pushing it since she may not even remember who I am - though I luckily got an A+ in her course. At this point, should I ask her as well, just in case this last prof falls through? Is it normal to have to ask 7 people right in the beginning to make up for those who flake?

Anyway, thanks for reading my rant and best of luck yall! Stay sane.

Hi friends,

So far my LOR's are going....mediocre. I am waiting on my PI/Biology professor to finish writing his, the same for a Rotarian (community service), as well as my clinical supervisor (I work as an EMT). It's been tough since I have had other professors that I have previously asked either back out or say no, even though I thought I had decent relationships with them. I asked my dance instructor (non science LOE) who said that he was too busy, as well as my biochem teacher/other PI (who is seemingly MIA and not returning calls/emails for the past two months).
So, today I am taking the action of sending out another request to my Advanced O-Chem teacher, and I hate it. It is so late in the game that its hard not to sound like I am grasping at straws, yet I have seemingly gone through the list of the professors that know me best and am now beginning to ask those that hopefully will remember me.
What are my options if this last professor says no? I have one other science professor I could ask, but it is really pushing it since she may not even remember who I am - though I luckily got an A+ in her course. At this point, should I ask her as well, just in case this last prof falls through? Is it normal to have to ask 7 people right in the beginning to make up for those who flake?

Anyway, thanks for reading my rant and best of luck yall! Stay sane.
Update - he already wrote me back and said he remembers me well and would love to write me a LOR! Life is beautiful again.

So, one of my major community services project is in a rural village in India. I know this village intimately. I am trying to establish a community garden and help the school. I am thinking of asking the principal of that school for a recommendation letter. Would that be appropriate? I was not sure, since he is not in USA.

It would be on an official letterhead, and even a stamp. So, I am sure that won't be a problem.

Thank you, ahead.

Is it detrimental to leave the "letter title" header blank? Is a letter title necessary for AMCAS?

So if I submit primary in early June but wont be starting a research position until..August or September and wont be "presenting" until ~spring 2017, I should still get my PI to write a LOR and send it whenever I feel like she has gotten to know me well enough? I dont want it to be too late in the cycle

Forgive this advisor, but I am shaking my head. It would seem rather presumptuous to assume a future PI with a way future possible presentation would know you well enough during this cycle to have a strong LOR/LOE for you this cycle. If you try to get a letter too early, it will be light on "evidence" (ie length of time knowing applicant) to have much impact. If you do later in the cycle, your file may be held open for the letter to arrive before being considered complete and on for review. This is the proverbial position between a rock and a hard place.

So first the bad news/advice:
If you feel that this letter, position, and presentation are so vitally important to you, then you may want to consider skipping this cycle.

Now the good news/advice:
Most applicant overestimate the weight of PI/Research Letters on the impact to adcoms.

In a 2013 AAMC survey* where 127 medical admissions offices responded, found research experience is only of medium importance at private schools and of low importance to public schools as an experiential factor in offering both interview invitations and acceptance. Healthcare experience, community service/volunteer experience, experience with underserved populations, navigated through cultural barriers or challenges, leadership experience were considered of higher importance in factors for interview invites and offers of acceptances

*https://www.aamc.org/download/434596/data/usingmcatdata2016.pdf
see page 3 (pdf p7) Table 1. Mean Importance Ratings of Academic, Experiential, and Demographic Application Data Used by Admissions Committees for Making Decisions about Which Applicants to Receive an Interview Invitation and Offer Acceptance (N=127)
Thank you for your quick response. I am only asking to see IF it was possible to send LOR once i've submitted or even interviewed.