Official MD/PhD Thread 2016-2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Strictlydickly

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Pre-Allo! Here is an offical MD/PhD thread for people applying in the e 2016-2017 cycle to discuss whatever we would like!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
So just to start it off, has anyone heard back from schools about IIs yet? I know some MD-only people have

Members don't see this ad :)
You know there's a Physician Scientist board right...? They have threads like this.

Reactions: 2 users
I really thought about doing a PhD in Anthropology rather than going to med school. Although both are passions for me, they're very different. This video helped me decide what I wanted to do.. There's so many interesting options out there!

Feel free to ask me any questions. I'm an incoming md/phd this fall.
I am still working on the AMCAS primary and was wondering if I should still include my research experience in the activities section even though we are given a separate space for all research experience? I am also applying to some MD programs but don't want to be redundant.

How is it going for everyone? Anyone else get the nerves yet?

Northwestern is miserable, I am having so much trouble with this secondary

I am still working on the AMCAS primary and was wondering if I should still include my research experience in the activities section even though we are given a separate space for all research experience? I am also applying to some MD programs but don't want to be redundant.

I still included them as activities and I applied to many MD only programs. Just know that they probably won't care as much about the specifics of your research as would phd interviewers .

Did anyone try to group 2+ research experiences into one activities slot? I am trying to figure out what format to use, since that doesn't leave nearly enough room to explain even the basics.

Did anyone try to group 2+ research experiences into one activities slot? I am trying to figure out what format to use, since that doesn't leave nearly enough room to explain even the basics.

Nope I did a different slot for each activity and chose to omit menial stuff like being a grader for a class. Research is like the most important thing in regards to explaining

Nope I did a different slot for each activity and chose to omit menial stuff like being a grader for a class. Research is like the most important thing in regards to explaining

Good point!

Last edited:
Anyone hear back from UCSF???!!! Its the only one I haven't heard back from verified 7/11...

Yeah I got secondary like 1.5-2 weeks ago
When did you turn in your primary app? @Gorilla-san, I also turned in my primary app around 7/11 and have not gotten a secondary from UCSF. LizzyM 81 and from an ivy league, so I'm wondering if I should be calling them in case for some reason they didn't receive my primary application. +pity+thoughts?

When did you turn in your primary app? @Gorilla-san, I also turned in my primary app around 7/11 and have not gotten a secondary from UCSF. LizzyM 81 and from an ivy league, so I'm wondering if I should be calling them in case for some reason they didn't receive my primary application. +pity+thoughts?
I was verified 7/5 and received the UCSF secondary on 7/29. LizzyM 75 so if I got it I'm sure you will too

thanks man! I'll wait a few more days for it

Hey man, I was verified on 6/16 and I didn't receive a secondary from UCSF until 8/2 so I wouldn't worry about it! I heard rumors that they look at in state apps first, so maybe those secondaries went out earlier?

Did anyone got II yet? Just wondering about what the timeline is like for md/phd applicants.