***Official MOSDOH Class of 2020 Interview/Acceptance

I just turned down my acceptance offer to MOSDOH. Good luck to anyone still interviewing!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Just declined my acceptance offer to MOSDOH. Good luck to you all!

Anyone else still waiting on an interview invite? How realistic is the "up to 8 weeks" they estimate once you submit your secondary app?

Just got my acceptance call today! Deposit is $1000 they said due in a month.

Reactions: 1 users
Finally! Interview invite this morning via e-mail. Set for next Thursday. OOS

Is there an advantage to interviewing next week vs interviewing the second date, which is next month?

hey guys i have an interview in two weeks! any advice???????? when doing the interview application i wrote that i would want to stay with a student so how exactly does that work? and any tips for the school? i would love more info about the school as to how many students they accept! thank you!!

hey guys i have an interview in two weeks! any advice???????? when doing the interview application i wrote that i would want to stay with a student so how exactly does that work? and any tips for the school? i would love more info about the school as to how many students they accept! thank you!!
I stayed with a student when I interview there. If one is avaliable, they will contact you and let you know via email. It was actually a really great experience for me. The interview process is really chill. They are nice and conversational. You will do a group activity that is also pretty relaxed. Just be yourself and show them that you are not a weirdo. You will do great!

Members don't see this ad :)
Question for you guys/gals. I'm seeing things of this school not being accredited? What does that really mean for us as students? Are there drawbacks from this in the future, and if so what are they?

However, I'm looking at the facts sheet that they have on their website and it says "MOSDOH’s dental education program is accredited by the Commission on Dental Accreditation"
Soooooo, which is it and what does it mean?

MOSDOH has passed their initial accreditation. They cannot become fully accredited until they graduate a class of students, which won't happen until 2017. Some people are worried about it but in reality not being fully accredited is not a problem. They have met every requirement given to them and have reached all of the benchmarks they need to in order to become fully accredited. All they can do now is wait until next year

Are there any repercussions to canceling an interview? Any rules?
I don't think so. Just make sure you call them and let them know you will not be interviewing. A "no show" will put a flag on you. If you call and cancel you will be just fine. They know that people will be getting picked up off waiting lists around this time

Last edited:
Anyone else interviewing Thursday who wants to grab dinner/hit the gym Wednesday night?

anyone have any advice for this school? i interview on thursday and am a little worried!!!

anyone have any advice for this school? i interview on thursday and am a little worried!!!
Go into the interview confident. The whole process is pretty laid back and relaxing. Don't stress yourself out with the process, it was a very good experience for me and I enjoyed the day.

How did your interview go?
I thought it went exceptionally well. Very impressed with the school... Really hoping I get in!

Half the spots are accounted for with deposits as of now. We were told that the committee meets on the 3rd to make a decision, and that we'd know what the decision is on our file within 5 days from then.

I thought it went exceptionally well. Very impressed with the school... Really hoping I get in!

Half the spots are accounted for with deposits as of now. We were told that the committee meets on the 3rd to make a decision, and that we'd know what the decision is on our file within 5 days from then.
Awesome! Good luck to you

Hello,

Received an interview invite today! I was offered a date on the 28th but in the fuss of scheduling last minute flights and whatnot it looks like I will go on the 11th. Do you guys know if they meet after every interview date to make decisions or do they do it in batches?

Hello,

Received an interview invite today! I was offered a date on the 28th but in the fuss of scheduling last minute flights and whatnot it looks like I will go on the 11th. Do you guys know if they meet after every interview date to make decisions or do they do it in batches?

Congratulations on the interview, could you share the following information? (if you don't mind) Thanks!

Notification date:
Interview date:
Method of notification:
Residency:
AADSAS mail-out date:

Application complete date:
GPA (science, overall, BCP):
DAT (AA/TS/PAT/RC/any section below a 17):

Hello,

All I can tell you is what I know for sure, and that is that they will be meeting on the 3rd to decide on applicants that they interviewed last week, and the ones they interview this week. Last week there was around 15 people interviewing, and there will probably be another 15 this week... which means the meeting next week will be for deciding on at least 30 people (maybe more if there was another group before last weeks that hasn't already been decided on).

Hope that made sense. Would be easier with a diagram.... lol

I like diagrams.

All I can tell you is what I know for sure, and that is that they will be meeting on the 3rd to decide on applicants that they interviewed last week, and the ones they interview this week. Last week there was around 15 people interviewing, and there will probably be another 15 this week... which means the meeting next week will be for deciding on at least 30 people (maybe more if there was another group before last weeks that hasn't already been decided on).

Hope that made sense. Would be easier with a diagram.... lol

I like diagrams.

Definitely more than 30. Interviewed back in December and they've told me the same thing.

Definitely more than 30. Interviewed back in December and they've told me the same thing.
Right, just saying that it's at the very least 30.
So the admissions committee didn't meet right after your interview?

Right, just saying that it's at the very least 30.
So the admissions committee didn't meet right after your interview?

Right, I was just confirming your statement. They did, but several others and I were told that the admissions committee had met, but they have not made a decision regarding our status so I'm assuming that means we'll be reviewed this time around or it means we were rejected. :p

Right, I was just confirming your statement. They did, but several others and I were told that the admissions committee had met, but they have not made a decision regarding our status so I'm assuming that means we'll be reviewed this time around or it means we were rejected. :p

Oh ok... I didn't quite know how to take it. :joyful: haha

"The admissions committee have not made a decision regarding your file"
Singlehandedly the most repeated piece of literature in my life the past 6 months... got me like :hurting:

Wishing the best for everyone though! Loved the school... hoping it's where I get to spend the next few years of my life.

Oh ok... I didn't quite know how to take it. :joyful: haha

"The admissions committee have not made a decision regarding your file"
Singlehandedly the most repeated piece of literature in my life the past 6 months... got me like :hurting:

Wishing the best for everyone though! Loved the school... hoping it's where I get to spend the next few years of my life.
They will say this repeatedly until the class is full. As far as I know they do not reject anyone until the end of February. There are still people interviewed in October and November that have not received a "status".

They will say this repeatedly until the class is full. As far as I know they do not reject anyone until the end of February. There are still people interviewed in October and November that have not received a "status".

Do you know of any applicants who got accepted from this limbo status?

Last edited:

Well... I don't know then. I was told that I'd know the status of my application by the latest a week from today. But I guess we'll see if that really happens or not.

Do you know of any applicants who got accepted from this limbo status?
Not really. It seems like the later you interview the better your chances are at this point. I interviewed in October and haven't heard anything back. I have checked on my status about once a month or so (don't want to be annoying) and it is always the same answer. Talked to some current students a couple weeks ago and they said that they don't normally reject anybody until the class is full because they have to make sure that all seats are filled before they reject applicants. It just seems that the people who interview later are getting acceptance calls and those who interviewed before December 1st are not.

Well... I don't know then. I was told that I'd know the status of my application by the latest a week from today. But I guess we'll see if that really happens or not.
You are right. You interviewed recently so they will not make any decision on the remaining applicants until after Wednesday. The last word I got from admissions is that half of the 42 seats have been filled (as of last Tuesday) which leaves roughly 20 spots still available. I have been to the school several times since I interviewed trying to keep my face and name fresh in their mind. I love this school so I am hanging by a thread at this point.

Any advice on flights/hotel/transportation? Did anyone stay with a student?

Accepted about 20 minutes ago via phone call...

Feels so good!!!
:soexcited::soexcited::soexcited::soexcited::soexcited::soexcited::soexcited:

Any advice on flights/hotel/transportation? Did anyone stay with a student?
I rented a house from a gentlemen on airb&b for around $55/night. Tell him you're interviewing and ask for a student discount and I'm sure he'll give you one. House Is a solid 3 minutes away which was really nice if you don't need much.

Declining an interview here for next week. I hope one of you gets a call, and good luck to everyone!

Don't give up guys and gals!! Call in and ask for updates, send in updates for your application... Etc. Don't give up though! And even if you don't get in this time, continue to improve yourself and your application for the next one. This school especially likes to see extensive volunteer work! Good luck to you guys!

Don't give up guys and gals!! Call in and ask for updates, send in updates for your application... Etc. Don't give up though! And even if you don't get in this time, continue to improve yourself and your application for the next one. This school especially likes to see extensive volunteer work! Good luck to you guys!
How many shadowing hours/volunteer hours do you have if you don't mind me asking? I currently have 1,000 hours of each and interviewed in October and never heard anything back from admission. I have emailed and called them and sent them 2 application updates since the interview and all they tell me is that I do not have a status. They won't even provide any kind of feedback on how I can improve for next cycle. I love this school so I really want to make sure that I get things right for next cycle.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Last edited:
How many shadowing hours/volunteer hours do you have if you don't mind me asking? I currently have 1,000 hours of each and interviewed in October and never heard anything back from admission. I have emailed and called them and sent them 2 application updates since the interview and all they tell me is that I do not have a status. They won't even provide any kind of feedback on how I can improve for next cycle. I love this school so I really want to make sure that I get things right for next cycle.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Wow, you actually have me beat on the hours there. I have about half of what you have in each category. Here's how I did my volunteer/shadow work though.

In regards to shadowing: I made time to not only see general dentistry, but pediatrics, oral surgery, prosthodontics, and orthodontics. I also went and visited a dental lab for a day to see the work that they do. Ask your dentist (hopefully you have a good relationship with one that has connections) to help you find places to shadow. While it's important to have shadowing in general dentistry as a base, shadowing different specialties shows the people who are reviewing your file (and trying to decide between you and someone else) that you are an open minded person with interests in the field as a whole. This will give you an advantage over someone who may have only gone to a general clinic "just to get the hours in." I'm not saying that's the case for anyone who only went to general dentistry clinic to observe, I'm just saying that a little bit of observation (go and do 10 hours in different specialties even) can have a great effect on the presentation of your application. It gives them that much more insight into your personality. You are now a person who they know is well informed in multiple areas of dentistry... and you stand out.

Volunteering: You have a lot of volunteer hours, but my question is where? I think what stood out on my application was two trips overseas to a 3rd world country for dental work. I was a dental assistant on one trip, and on the second I provided general oral healthcare education, and a simple brushing and flossing for rural villagers who had never seen floss before in their life. I was also an assistant at my nearby dental school for about 50 hours... and some random other little things.
Now, with that said -I don't think you have to go overseas to get a call of acceptance from them. It'll be to your advantage, but it is also expensive and not required. The important thing to remember is that if the school is looking for people who care about the underserved, the person who has been volunteering at a homeless clinic for 500 hours will likely be more competitive than one who has been playing with kids at a community center for 1000. NOT that there is anything wrong with the latter, but the school has a FOCUS and a preference for the former. Try to get into volunteer healthcare stuff for homeless, or at community clinics. If that's what you have been doing, then I'm not sure what else to tell you.

Takeaway message: Quality, not quantity. With only 42 seats and an increasing number of applicants every year, there is little room for error. Find their preferences and follow them to the last detail. That goes for any school, not just MOSDOH! Find creative ways to show you're more interested than the next guy(s).