**Official MWU-IL interview/acceptance/rejection thread**

kansas6

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone have any news regarding MWU-IL interviews for this cycle? I didn't see a thread for class of 2021 so I thought I would start one.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
ooooo actual rejection :bigtears:

I got waitlisted for an interview early July, then I got a "deny interview" email. I've heard students getting autorejected from them for below 3.0 GPA since that particular school has a strict GPA cutoff.

I'm so sorry!! Best of luck though! Stay positive! I think the IL one is a bit easier on the stats.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

That'd be awesome .. the IL location is right down the block from me .. what a dream.

Yea it's definitely one of my top choices! The price scares me a bit though. It would be so cool living close to Chicago.

Let's not be scared of prices. You can focus in on the fact Chicago is a 25 minute train away.

I'm so sorry!! Best of luck though! Stay positive! I think the IL one is a bit easier on the stats.

Yes, I just emailed Arizona, they said my EC's and PS were strong but my science GPA was weak. Hopefully you're right and Illinois will give me a chance!

Let's not be scared of prices. You can focus in on the fact Chicago is a 25 minute train away.

Had a coworker/"work wife" who used to live in Chicago. Their public transportation is a blessing. I come from SoCal where EVERYONE drives so that may be an interesting cultural transition for me.

Do any of you know when they are going to give out interview invites? I have been patiently waiting!

Members don't see this ad :)
I gotta hurry up and finish up MWU's supp.

Yes, I just emailed Arizona, they said my EC's and PS were strong but my science GPA was weak. Hopefully you're right and Illinois will give me a chance!

Had a coworker/"work wife" who used to live in Chicago. Their public transportation is a blessing. I come from SoCal where EVERYONE drives so that may be an interesting cultural transition for me.
What was your science GPA?

I must've posted like in 20 different places LOL. Little above 3.2 sGPA. I think they were more concerned about my BCP which rounded is a 3.1 :shy: Every school has different methodology on how they want to pick students so I'm more at peace about it now... I have 17 other schools to hear back from!

Damn... mine is like that too. hopefully it works out. Good luck!

I must've posted like in 20 different places LOL. Little above 3.2 sGPA. I think they were more concerned about my BCP which rounded is a 3.1 :shy: Every school has different methodology on how they want to pick students so I'm more at peace about it now... I have 17 other schools to hear back from!

Did you do a postbacc?

Quick question. For one of the supp questions, they said list EC's involved in. Would this be where I list my work experience? I don't have research experience so not sure what I can include in this section. Don't want to leave that empty. Just seeing what y'all did.

"...any extracurricular activities that you have excelled at, or been involved in"

I wrote about my position in the pre-dental club for sure, then I took the somewhat taboo route and wrote about some athletic activities I excelled in (competitions).. just to give you an idea on my end..

I wrote about my position in the pre-dental club for sure, then I took the somewhat taboo route and wrote about some athletic activities I excelled in (competitions).. just to give you an idea on my end..

I was going to talk about participating in league basketball and how I compete in car shows, but not sure if that belongs there. lol

I took a small sliver of advice I found somewhere and it said something like... if you're really proud of it and it describes you, add it! It shows you're human. While I wouldn't put "getting all 120 stars in mario," or "running in a tough mudder," I'd definitely put something that is really important to you.

I think this question warrants more opinions, though.

Anyone heard anything about interviews or when they'll be coming out?

Not to burst anyone's bubble or anything, but I don't think the MWU secondaries will sway adcom's decision one way or another in terms of overshadowing, say, a DAT retake or low sGPA. At least for Arizona, that seemed to be the case. Anyone have an idea if the Illinois and Arizona campuses (campi?) collaborate amongst each other regarding admissions?

Nope. Totally separate. We are under the same org, but we are completely different schools with our own authority and system. :)

Nope. Totally separate. We are under the same org, but we are completely different schools with our own authority and system. :)
I see, good to know! I practically copy-pasted the secondary for both schools other than regional differences so it will be interesting if I get a different, hopefully more positive response from Illinois!

I see, good to know! I practically copy-pasted the secondary for both schools other than regional differences so it will be interesting if I get a different, hopefully more positive response from Illinois!

Looking at last year, it seems like the IL campus is a bit lighter on admissions than the AZ campus, so I'm sure you're fine!

Cool. Just curious, are you part of admissions or a student there?

If we received an interview from AZ I wonder if we should expect an interview from IL.

Looking at last year, it seems like the IL campus is a bit lighter on admissions than the AZ campus, so I'm sure you're fine!

A bit lighter like what? Are there still an average matriculation of 18AA?

Cool. Just curious, are you part of admissions or a student there?

I am actually a third year student.

I just happen to be offered a part in the 2021 admission cycle process (probably giving candidates tours and/or helping out with the interviews). No details on what exactly my responsibilities are, though. This may be the only thing I can share with you guys.

Reactions: 5 users
Yep. It looked like that in last years thread. What's the average for AZ?

2015-2016 ADEA handbook states that the 2014 matriculating class had oGPA 3.52, sGPA 3.46, and 19.8 AA 19.9 PAT, and 19.7 TS.

I wouldn't be surprised if the 2016 or 2017 matriculating class for MWU-AZ has stats closer to 21 AA 3.6 oGPA, based on seeing 3.5 oGPA 19AA SDN users getting waitlisted and low 3 GPA's getting hard rejections.

Stats for Illinois is a tick lower at 3.4 oGPA and 18.6 AA, but I'm expecting the actual numbers for this coming matriculating class to be closer to 3.5 oGPA and 19-20 AA. Not saying lower stats = softer program, but they might have slightly different criterion than Arizona.

(MBlue16 is probably silently chuckling at us predents trying to figure out this admissions process!!)

2015-2016 ADEA handbook states that the 2014 matriculating class had oGPA 3.52, sGPA 3.46, and 19.8 AA 19.9 PAT, and 19.7 TS.

I wouldn't be surprised if the 2016 or 2017 matriculating class for MWU-AZ has stats closer to 21 AA 3.6 oGPA, based on seeing 3.5 oGPA 19AA SDN users getting waitlisted and low 3 GPA's getting hard rejections.

Stats for Illinois is a tick lower at 3.4 oGPA and 18.6 AA, but I'm expecting the actual numbers for this coming matriculating class to be closer to 3.5 oGPA and 19-20 AA. Not saying lower stats = softer program, but they might have slightly different criterion than Arizona.

(MBlue16 is probably silently chuckling at us predents trying to figure out this admissions process!!)

Haha! Not really. I sometimes do find interesting info/ assumptions from pre-dents tho :). But hey... it's a better to be overprepared than underprepared!

Btw, I still lurk around this forum, cuz I sometime need to be reminded how bad I wanted it back then. Dental school gets crazy and sometime the pressure is just so high. Knowing that there are ppl out there who are dying to be in my position, keeps me going. Well..., it is at least one of my ways to fuel myself :).

Also, I just love helping out pre-dents. Just ask, I will try to answer your questions within my limits.

Reactions: 4 users
Haha! Not really. I sometimes do find interesting info/ assumptions from pre-dents tho :). But hey... it's a better to be overprepared than underprepared!

Btw, I still lurk around this forum, cuz I sometime need to be reminded how bad I wanted it back then. Dental school gets crazy and sometime the pressure is just so high. Knowing that there are ppl out there who are dying to be in my position, keeps me going. Well..., it is at least one of my ways to fuel myself :).

Also, I just love helping out pre-dents. Just ask, I will try to answer your questions within my limits.

Honestly, given the situation, I would be just like how you are right now in the future so I totally get it. I'm not sure if I agree with @redhotchiligochu on those stats and his/her predictions. With the rate of how high the average is going and how quickly the sky is falling, everyone will have 29AAs and the market is saturated. But anyway, hope everyone has a great weekend. Hope we get some invite next week.

@redhotchiligochu had a point though. The average matriculating GPA have been increasing for our school. I don't know how much of a raise, tho. Maybe someone with the 2015-2016 ADEA Official Guide to Dental Schools can enlighten us?
(Idk why they never updated this page https://www.midwestern.edu/programs_and_admission/il_dental_medicine.html)

The thing about MWU-IL is that it was a rather new school. My class is only the 4th one here; we made it a full house. But now, we have the class of 2019 as D2s and c/o 2020 ready to go in a few weeks; we are quickly growing as a school.

Now, people are more confident to apply to the school, because we have the so-called experience and the school name is a little more out there. (This also applies to the patient base at the clinic, btw... we are a bit overwhelmed sometimes). That being said, more people apply to the school. More ppl= larger pool. Larger pool => tighter net; higher average GPA. Don't be too worried if you have lower GPA though, they don't just look at your numbers. I feel that the increase in average GPA is just a side effect of a growing school. Soon enough, it will hit a plateau.

Yeah, good luck to you all! :)

Honestly, given the situation, I would be just like how you are right now in the future so I totally get it. I'm not sure if I agree with @redhotchiligochu on those stats and his/her predictions. With the rate of how high the average is going and how quickly the sky is falling, everyone will have 29AAs and the market is saturated. But anyway, hope everyone has a great weekend. Hope we get some invite next week.
My numbers came from the 2015-2-16 ADEA handbook, can't argue against me about that.

But my predictions? Yes I'm totally cool with you disagreeing with it, but my main point is that dentistry is getting more competitive (though maybe not as if the sky is falling though)

Ideally the Illinois location is my top choice.. I come from a traditional greek family and it's definitely important for me to be close to home. The downers grove campus is like 10 minutes from me... aside from being part of a developing curriculum (what we say actually matters!!) I'd be pretty ecstatic to get accepted here...

Btw, I posted some video links in the threads before this, so I'll do the same this year just so you have a better idea on how the dental student life here like.

Student dynamics:
Class of 2018 end of D2 Video:

Class of 2019 Dental Rap:

Anatomy department Christmas video:

Bright Island Outreach program by DSD:

Reactions: 1 users
I haven't seen anyone post anything for MWU-IL. I haven't heard anything either.

Does this school invite you for a secondary through email or regular mail? Haven't heard anything since I submitted my AADSAS a couple weeks ago

Does this school invite you for a secondary through email or regular mail? Haven't heard anything since I submitted my AADSAS a couple weeks ago

Secondaries come almost immediately through email. It was one of the first ones I received.

@mblue what's something about the school we can't find on their website? Like.. your personal (or maybe even college group's) favorite thing about the University???

Personal favorite thing: Good work - life balance.

I think the school is strategically located in the suburb of one of the coolest cities on earth. It allows us to study in a quiet environment while giving us the option to go crazy in the city. Also, it's great to live in Chicago area, cuz your friends and family will be sure to visit you and you'll take them around; that's always fun :).

Last edited:
All this waiting is killing me. I can't focus on school right now.. The struggle is real

Reactions: 1 users
anyone got an update from this school yet?

anyone got an update from this school yet?

They don't even appear on my AADSAS portal even though they've sent me an email saying application is complete.

They don't even appear on my AADSAS portal even though they've sent me an email saying application is complete.
Same here.

But did anyone else get a letter from them in the mail telling you to apply to their school and to complete the supplement? I got this letter a couple of months ago in the mail because the supplemental email had gone to my junk mail and I didn't check it for about a week.