Official NBDE Part 1 Study Q & A Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tinman831

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Please post all study questions/answers for the NBDE Part 1 in this thread. Good luck!

As a side note, this is not the place for sales ads. Discussion of remembered questions appearing on the exam is also not permitted.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Yay. I passed the exam. :) Best feeling ever. I thought I failed it for sure, lol. I used dental decks, dental boards mastery app, and past ASDA exams from J to N. I first used dental boards mastery app, dental decks and then ASDA papers.

Dental Boards Mastery app was a "fun" way of learning the material. It is kinda pricey (about $50) though, but I think it was worth it. I really felt I learnt all the concepts especially for dental anatomy/occlusion, anatomic sciences and the section on growth and development. And some of their mnemonics were helpful. However, the sections on biochemistry/physiology and microbiology/pathology were definitely lacking in some topics. For those 2 sections, I mainly used the decks. So I definitely would not use this app as a stand-alone study material but would use it initially to learn the main, general concepts. For all the wrong answers I got, I made sure I understood the explanations and made notes off of them. I would also look up on wikipedia to enhance my understanding.

I didn't really care too much for dental decks. It was a bit of a headache to sift through. Like if I I wanted to go back and re-learn a concept, it was annoying to go through all the cards to find which concept I wanted to learn. I would rather use the First Aid Book. Alot students in my class raved about it.

I did the 5 of the most recent past ASDA papers (J to N) and it was definitely way too easy compared to the real thing. There were some repeats, but it was worded in a different way. I'd say I got about 5-10 repeats, but some of my classmates said they got a lot more.

For anatomy and occlusion, I also went through these 2 exams (each with 100 questions) on this website: http://quiz.dentalebooks.com/tag/part-i/ . They had helpful explanations.

A helpful resource I used for anatomic sciences was this webpage (it's about 3 pages): http://www.caribbeanmedstudent.com/notes/anatomy-block-2/ . It lists exceptions, comparisons, structural relationships and more mnemonics. I also studied those 2 diagrams at the end about the cranial nerves, and parasympatheic ganglia. I felt those diagrams were very useful for the exam.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
which one of the available ADA practice/old exams is most SIMILAR to the one you took(in terms of difficulty)??
thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hmmm. That's a tough one to answer because each exam was similar to one another. If I had to say most similar to real exam, I would probably pick J?

I would say definitely do J and K first because I like how they organize each section with a particular subject. For example, the 1st 100 questions on Anatomical sciences, the 2nd set of 100 questions on Biochem-physio, etc. Whereas, in the other testlets, the questions were all over the place in different subject areas. For example, first question on anatomic science the 2nd question on microbiology, 3rd question on anatomy/occlusion, etc; it was just disorganized and I hated that.

Last edited:
Hi! Thanks for sharing!
My test date is two weeks away.. Just wanted to know if you have any tips for the NBDE part 1 test?
I know they show a tutorial that day, but still anything one should be aware of before giving the test? Can we skip questions and come back to them later?

Yes, you can skip questions and come back to them later. I marked like 20-30 questions and returned to them later. Don't worry about time limit because you get plenty of time. I had about an hour to spare for the 1st half of the exam and the 2nd half of exam during which I just went through all the questions.

Yay. I passed the exam. :) Best feeling ever. I thought I failed it for sure, lol. I used dental decks, dental boards mastery app, and past ASDA exams from J to N. I first used dental boards mastery app, dental decks and then ASDA papers.

Dental Boards Mastery app was a "fun" way of learning the material. It is kinda pricey (about $50) though, but I think it was worth it. I really felt I learnt all the concepts especially for dental anatomy/occlusion, anatomic sciences and the section on growth and development. And some of their mnemonics were helpful. However, the sections on biochemistry/physiology and microbiology/pathology were definitely lacking in some topics. For those 2 sections, I mainly used the decks. So I definitely would not use this app as a stand-alone study material but would use it initially to learn the main, general concepts. For all the wrong answers I got, I made sure I understood the explanations and made notes off of them. I would also look up on wikipedia to enhance my understanding.

I didn't really care too much for dental decks. It was a bit of a headache to sift through. Like if I I wanted to go back and re-learn a concept, it was annoying to go through all the cards to find which concept I wanted to learn. I would rather use the First Aid Book. Alot students in my class raved about it.

I did the 5 of the most recent past ASDA papers (J to N) and it was definitely way too easy compared to the real thing. There were some repeats, but it was worded in a different way. I'd say I got about 5-10 repeats, but some of my classmates said they got a lot more.

For anatomy and occlusion, I also went through these 2 exams (each with 100 questions) on this website: http://quiz.dentalebooks.com/tag/part-i/ . They had helpful explanations.

A helpful resource I used for anatomic sciences was this webpage (it's about 3 pages): http://www.caribbeanmedstudent.com/notes/anatomy-block-2/ . It lists exceptions, comparisons, structural relationships and more mnemonics. I also studied those 2 diagrams at the end about the cranial nerves, and parasympatheic ganglia. I felt those diagrams were very useful for the exam.

Congrats Mauricio45!
My exam is getting closer and I would like to ask you if you have a soft copy of the ASDA paper from J to N? please let me know!
I would be forever thankful :)

And some board questions.

#1, which of the following represents the sensory organs concerned with maintenance of skeletal muscle tons?
ANS - muscle spindle.
How come "Golgi tendon organs" (which maintains muscle tones) is not correct?

#2, A drug (D) has a PK of 6.4. At a pH of 7.4, which of the following approximates the ratio of the unprotonated form to the protonated (D-/HD)?
a. 0
b. 0.1
c. 1
d. 10 -ANS

#3, a person is playing tennis in a dry climate in which the temp is 110F. Most of this person's heat loss occurs by
a. alteration in hypothalamic setpoint
b. enhanced baroreceptor activity
c. enhanced sympathetic activity - ANS (I thought that Sym. would restrict cutaneous blood flow???)
d. enhanced parasympathetic activity

#4, a slight detachment of the retina results in a decrease of length from the optical center, and the subject therefore exhibits
a. near sightedness
b. far sightedness - ANS
c. strabismus
d. nystagmus

Hi everyone! I am giving my part 1 in a month! Any advice you guys can give me? I've already done a few readings of first aid and dental decks. Will start asda papers now! Anything advice would be helpful!

hello frds,
i am going to start my preparation for nbde part 1 exam, but i don't know from where i can start, i mean which book and which subject will be the best to starting??please help to make my direction.

Members don't see this ad :)
You don need released exams to pass. I took the NBDE part 1 in dec 21 of 2013 and I passed. I just studied with dental decks 2013-1014 and a lot of wikipedia. if you have any question just tell me, good luck.
You don need released exams to pass. I took the NBDE part 1 in dec 21 of 2013 and I passed. I just studied with dental decks 2013-1014 and a lot of wikipedia. if you have any question just tell me, good luck.
Hi, I will take part 1 in dec. Going through dental deck 12-13 .. it's OK or should I buy latest one

hello ninasca,
you said you studied a lot from wikipedia , could you please help me? i mean what kind of topic you studied from wikipedia?? or how i can study from wikipedia? topic name or what is the process? please let me know dear.

hello dear,
actually i am totally new in nbde part 1 preparation, i don't know from where i have to start, i am an international dentist, so could you please give me a direction in which direction you followed allready and passed. it will be very helpful for me.
thanks tonai.

Hello..mauricio 45...congratulations!! Well..can u tell me that whether u get test let type questions like related to cases in the exam nd for how many hours u studied per day ?

hi
i am an indian dentist preparing for nbde part 1.
can you please help me with what all material is a must read for nbde?where can i find dental decks latest version and asda papers?

Hey I am studying for Part I right now and I wanted to ask about stages of Fetal life...how in depth should I know this? I mean the developmental weeks are a task to remember haha. Any tips with Devo and other topics to tackle efficiently. I can use all the advice I can get. Thanks!

NS

A 3 years old got trauma and his D and E got intruded , which permanent teeth got affected :
A- 8
b- 7
C- 7 & 8
D- 6,7 & 8

Hi can any one help me with question 50, 67, 68:
Q) pure rotation of mandible involves which two planes?
Q) cervical cross section of pulp cavity of which tooth.... The diagram shows trapezoidal prep form tapering distally...
Q) a dental student is performing rct on extracted max molar.radiograph shows four canals.2 in mb root. The shape of the pulp chamber in max molars is ....

hi there
Starting my NBDE part 1 preparation. Which is the best subject to start with, if you have a time frame of 5 -6 mn for preparation
How much time does JCNDE take to give a scheduling period for the examination after receiving the ECE report. In short how much time does one get to prepare for the examination if you start with the application process simultaneously.

hey guys how r u?i m a new member and want to pass nbde part 1.but i have no idea about nbde preparation.i just completed my graduation.so how i can prepare me for nbde?pls help me and let me know ur advice.i want to know what should i follow for starting of my nbde part 1 preparation.............thanks

Hello everybody, i have read the topic and the ADA's newsletter for NBDE part 1 meticulously and I have some questions regarding the exam.
a) There are 4 sections (Anatomic Sciences etc), 100q each section. The min passing score is 75%. Does somebody have to achieve >75% in each section separately or one just have 300/400 right answers, irrespectful from the questions' distribution?

b) Pharmacology is considered part of NBDE II. However I 've noticed questions regarding drugs in ADA's newsletter 2014. (pg 7)
(Here is the q:
Each of the following drugs is appropriate for the treatment of
cardiac arrhythmia EXCEPT one. Which one is the
EXCEPTION?
A. Phenytoin
B. Lidocaine
C. Quinidine
D. Propranolol
E. Epinephrine)

c) There are 2 sections, 200q in 3.5h each one. Can you read, leave back and read again ALL 200 questions in these 3.5h or there are question blocks like USMLE step 1?

d) You all prefer ADA past papers, First Aid for NBDE and USMLE 1 and Dental Decks. Could anybody email me the available past papers?
(email: [email protected] )

Thanks in advance,
Greetings from Greece!

ImageUploadedBySDN Mobile1413565391.460031.jpg

lingual cusp of tooth no:5 is broken off. most likely due to which of the mandibular movements during trauma?

A: left mediotrusive
B:right mesiotrusive
c: protrusive
D: left laterotrusive
e: right laterotrusive

I'm selling my dental decks if anyone's interested. They're 2 yrs old but in brand new condition. pm me if you're interested.

I would like to appear for nbde part 1 exams end of the year 2015..have to get study materilas..and then start studying..have not applied yet..

Reactions: 1 user
I'm selling my First aid (3rd edition) and Dental Decks (2013-2014) for a reasonable price. PM me if interested.

There are two basic causes of glycosuria. One is that the level of blood glucose is so high that the renal tubules are unable to reabsorb all that is presented. The other is a failure of the tubules to reabsorb all glucose at a level where this should be possible. So second one is renal fault. That is why latter is called renal glycosuria. And is not because of elevated blood glucose levels but yes due to renal fault to reabsorb even normal levels that it should reabsorb .

The level of blood glucose at which it spills into the urine is called the renal threshold.
The presence of glucose in the urine proves that the patient has
1. diabetes mellitus.
2. negative nitrogen balance.
3. exceeded his renal threshold for glucose.
4. excessive damage to a glomerulus of the kidney.

The correct answer is 3.
However, can't choice #1 be the correct answer too?

Diabetes mellitus = low insulin = too much glucose in blood = excrete glucose = water follows = polyuria and high amount of glucose found in urine

How will a protein respond in an electrophoretic system, should the pH become lower than the isoelectric point of the protein?

It will become denaturated.

It will migrate to the negative pole.

It will migrate to the positive pole.

It will remain stationary and unchanged.

It will separate into its different

monomeric forms.

Hello NBDE experts,

I failed my NBDE Part 1 in January this year, then I took the exam again in April and I failed again. I am not sure what I am doing wrong - first time also, I didn't think I will not be able to PASS but went the opposite way. I even applied for audit but that was of no help.

For 2nd time, I made sure that I don't leave any stone unturned - did the dental decks twice, tool ASDA released exams (and I scored 70+) every time. I was sure that I am going to make it through this time but no luck. I am completely lost now - not sure whether there are still chances for me to get into DDS in future after failing twice also not sure what I need to change in my preparation that I should make it through. Please help me folks !!! Please !!!

Thanks in advance.

Did the dental decks and ASDA released exams adequately cover topics that you saw in the NBDE Part 1? Did you see familiar materials that you studied in the decks and the released exams? Or was the NBDE Part 1 completely different than what the decks and released exams covered?

Also, what version of the dental decks did you study? 2015-2016? or older?

Yes. it did cover the topics that i saw in my exam except clinical questions .Also i used dental decks edition 2013-2014 & asda papers 1977-1996.

Please suggest what I can do to clear it ? What I am missing ? Do I still have a chance at all ?

Hi, I am new here. I am a foreign Dentist, been here in US for 3years. I just took my NBDE part 1 last Friday. I'm really anxious. Still waiting for the result. Honestly, I had a hard time answering the first half... I've been trying to calm down with the help of prayers. I used released papers ASDA J-N but I can only remember few, Dental Mastery App ( just few, I bought the app but I don't think it is a good one) if you don't pass they said they will return your money (so let's hope I passed), Dental Decks 2009 (I read it once 2weeks before my exam, I wish I had more time) I think if you give more time, dental decks will help you a lot. I have a baby, a dog and a husband that's why, time is hard to manage.

Looking at occlusion for NBDE part I. This video , which mostly seems pretty good, says around 16.00 that the lingual cusps of the maxillary premolars "lean to the mesial" and therefore occlude with the distal fossae of the opposing individual premolars, rather than with the marginal ridges of the opposing pairs of teeth.

This is the opposite of what they taught us in my D1 intro to occlusion class. I have a printout from that class that shows contact marks on the mandibular premolars from the lingual cusps of maxillary premolars...and they are only on the marginal ridges, not in the fossae.

As far as I can tell, both sources claim to be describing normal, standard, Class I, cusp-to-marginal-ridge occlusion. Anyone have thoughts on how to reconcile these two sources?

Hi there,

I'm wondering if using only First Aid, Dental Decks, and ASDA exams is sufficient to pass? Looking to use the least amount of material possible since I don't have much time to study. I'm a Canadian student with a decent theoretical background.

If anyone has any suggestions as to which materials I should eliminate/substitute please let me know! Is dental mastery app worth it or should I be fine?

Thanks!

I'm using Crack the NBDE and it's helping a lot with questions for boards. I love that it simulates an actual exam so I can prepare better for the timing and the super long hours sitting in that cold room. When I studied for the DAT way back when, I used Crack the DAT and it was honestly the best thing I used, so because of that I did Crack the NBDE and it's just as helpful. I do a practice exam every week and review it the rest of the week. Hoping to take my boards soon in October.

Hi Everyone,

I am a Foreign Dentist (orthodontist), 28 years, living in Peru, and trying to pass the NDBE part 1 . I took the NDBE 1 exam two times and i've never passed. first i got 71, and the last time 73. I have studied from the Dental Decks, First Aid,ASDA released exams,

I REALLY NEED HELP HOW CAN I PASS THIS EXAM?
also i don't know if i should quit i fell very uncourageous

Any Advise?

Have you considered changing your study method? I am sure you have the right materials, so there must be something in the way you study that is not helping you in learning.
Something that really helps me is being active. Instead of just looking at notes, I try to understand the content and make my own drawings and diagrams. I have been studying for a long time now and I can say that First Aid although helpful, it can definitely slow you down. There might be things like muscle insertions, origins etc, that are probably not as relevant for the test as other things so try to focus on things you believe are more relevant, the Decks are good for this. Another thing, If you just studied let's say, the Cardiac Physiology chapter, you might want to review it before you forget it, perhaps after you study two or three chapters after that, give a quick review. Believe me, it is a waste of time if you don't do this because more than likely you will come back to it and you don't want to realize you have forgotten a big part of it. I know it can be hard not to pass at first, but don't feel discouraged. Reconsider what you may be doing wrong and change it. I am sure you will pass next time. Best of luck!