Official NBDE Part 2 Study Q & A Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tinman831

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Please post all study questions/answers for the NBDE Part 2 in this thread. Good luck!

As a side note, this is not the place for sales ads. Discussion of remembered questions appearing on the exam is also not permitte

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
the immediate cause of death from irreversible cholinesterase inhibitor is:
1. shock
2. convulsion
3. cardiac arrythmia
4. resp paralysis
5. dehydration from diarrhea and vomiting.

inferior alv nerve block, pierce?
buccinator m, medial pterygoid m.:confused:
Buccinator( because its always injected towards the ptergomandibular raphe which involves 2 muscles buccinator and superior constrictor muscles)

I can remember I read it somewhere in decks that after LA injection, trismus mostly is due to medial pt muscle !!
Yes you are right, medial pterygoid cause trismus

with 4 mm implant, minimum space needed?
Can someone answer with explanation
Depends on situation,

6-mm( If single Implant with natural tooth on both sides,1+4+1)
8 mm( if one side implant and other side natural tooth,1+4+3)
can you explain further pls? I can't understand what are those no? buccal lingual or what? THANK YOU
u mean bet 2 iomplants we need 3 mm space? and bet implant and natural tooth 1 mm?
Yes you got it. btw two implants its 3 mm and btw natural tooth and implant 1mm.
for this question the answer given in nthe option should be 6-7mm..

old and young patient have the same bone loss on radiagraph, which one has better prognosis?
OLD, in this case because both have same bone loss but at different age group.
why OLD ???
Because think that the young patient had the same boss lone like the old in his young age that means the peridontal health of the old is much better than the young!! so the prognosis also is better for the Old.

Hope this helps!!

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
1) A 5 yr old patient's restorative appointments, the dentist will administer inhalation sedation. For the patients extraction appointments however the dentist will supplement the sedation with oral medication. For this purpose which of the following drugs will be the most appropriate?

- Hyrdoxyzine
- Diazepam:thumbup: dental decks
- Ketamine
- Meperidine>>mostly used as IV sedation or pain relieve after dental procedure

The answer is Hydroxyzine. I dont know why...

to check bone Volume, radiograph?
BWX
PA
substraction
pan
Bone volume and density by subtraction Radiography

I remember I read it somewhere in decks or mosby ... that Panoramic is used for bone volume ..

what do u think?

THANK YOU

I 'll go for subtraction..for bone density so even for bone volume I will go for subtraction.

The answer is Hydroxyzine. I dont know why...
yes u r right !! it is Hydroxyzine ... I don't know why .. but it says it is antihistamine and anti anxiety med .. that are common in dentistry !! so I think the reason that it is more common

from where are those Qs??

Last edited:
in ortho decks card no 3

it says if primary canine were present, we use band and loop (bilaterally) instead of Nancy appliance, because nancy can't be used in this case ... can someone tell me why we can't use nancy in this case?

THANK YOU

QUOTE=meridith;12055404]Neither . Answer should be penicillin - due to suppression of normal GI flora involved in recycling of active steroids from bile conjugates,leading to more rapid excretion of steroids from body.[/QUOTE]
Which of the following Antibiotics has been implicated in the vast majority of cases of oral contraceptive failure during antibiotic use?

A. Penicillin
B. Rifampin
C. Keflex
D. Erythromycin
E. Tetracycline

Hey,
Can anybody help, this is from old test paper and the answer is Rifampicin..How can it be?

Question from released papers

Which of the following antibiotics is the substitute of choice for pencillin in the pencillin sensitive patient?

-Cephalexin
-Erythromycin
-Tetracycline
-Clindamycin:thumbup:

Let me know what you think..

it should be penicillin, Ampicillin is the answer from pharma tuft

QUOTE=meridith;12055404]Neither . Answer should be penicillin - due to suppression of normal GI flora involved in recycling of active steroids from bile conjugates,leading to more rapid excretion of steroids from body.
Which of the following Antibiotics has been implicated in the vast majority of cases of oral contraceptive failure during antibiotic use?

A. Penicillin
B. Rifampin
C. Keflex
D. Erythromycin
E. Tetracycline

Hey,
Can anybody help, this is from old test paper and the answer is Rifampicin..How can it be?[/QUOTE]

Members don't see this ad :)
????

in ortho decks card no 3

it says if primary canine were present, we use band and loop (bilaterally) instead of Nancy appliance, because nancy can't be used in this case ... can someone tell me why we can't use nancy in this case?

THANK YOU

it should be penicillin, Ampicillin is the answer from pharma tuft

A. Penicillin
B. Rifampin
C. Keflex
D. Erythromycin
E. Tetracycline

Hey,
Can anybody help, this is from old test paper and the answer is Rifampicin..How can it be?
[/QUOTE]

I dont know why in ASDA old paper it says rifampicin. Lot of answers are not matching and not confirmed if they are right..

perhaps it was a wrong answer, because in tuft ampicilline block the steroid absorption, soit should be penicilline

No idea about Nance appliance because in this case if primary canine is present we prefer band and loop space maintainer, preference given to BLS as nance might cause irritation and given very rare.
If primary canine is absent and definetly loss of primary molar then we can give nance probably. For BLS imagine with long loop till laterals cant be given, probably thats why.

Just guessing from what I understood hope somebody else replies!!

Please can someone tell me from where I can study about pt management for each of the following condition:

Autism
wheel chair
blind pt
deaf pt

my friend told me they always ask about these subjects in the test
ASAP pls .. my test in few days

THANK YOU

anyone heard anything about the new clinical terms?

they said with the new format, they are not using acute and clinical, reversible and irreversible term anymore .. instead they are using symptomatic and asymptomatic ...

Does anyone know anything about this, pls HELP

Last edited:
perio dis .. more in: African American, white, hispanic?

dental caries more in: hispanic, African American, white?

hopefully someone will help me with it

THANK YOU

dental caries is more in hispanic.
not sure of perio I think it is black.

Hey
Thanks a lot

R u sure?

Well in Mosby or decks it says the treated dental caries are more in white
While untreated dental caries more in African American !!

Perio I think in African American too

So which one is the right answer?

The most common congenitally missing permanent tooth is?

The most common impacted tooth?

I hope someone will answer all previous Qs as well..

THANK YOU

:thumbup::thumbup:

Question from released papers

Which of the following antibiotics is the substitute of choice for pencillin in the pencillin sensitive patient?

-Cephalexin
-Erythromycin
-Tetracycline
-Clindamycin:thumbup:

Let me know what you think..

The answer for this Qs is rifampin, I just found the answer in wikipedia ..

Ampicilline is the right answer according to pharma tufts .. but there is no ampicillin here .. and we can't choose penicillin instead because it is not an extended spectrum just like ampecilline and it wont affect the GI microflora .. !!

while Rifampin induce the cytochrome p450 and lead to increase the metabolism of many drugs .. include the oral contraceptive ...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rifampicin
look for the drug interaction

correct me if I am wrong pls

QUOTE=meridith;12055404]Neither . Answer should be penicillin - due to suppression of normal GI flora involved in recycling of active steroids from bile conjugates,leading to more rapid excretion of steroids from body.

A. Penicillin
B. Rifampin
C. Keflex
D. Erythromycin
E. Tetracycline

Hey,
Can anybody help, this is from old test paper and the answer is Rifampicin..How can it be?[/QUOTE]

which of the following is best reason for pouring a condensation impression material as soon as possible?

1. degree of polymerization of condensation polymers is initially high and then decrease with time.
2. evaporation of a volatile by-product causes shrinkage of the set material.
3. if left unpoured, condensation impression material expand as they absorb water from air.
4. condensation polymers will start to react with the polymer of the imp tray and cause distortion.

the dentist seats a full gold crown on a pt mand right second molar, as the pt closes and the teeth come in contact, the pt jaw deflect to the right. on which incline cusp should the adjustment be made?

1. inner of facial
2. outer of facial
3. inner of lingual
4. outer of lingual

orange stain in FDP is used to?

Please can someone tell me from where I can study about pt management for each of the following condition:

Autism
wheel chair
blind pt
deaf pt

ASAP pls .. my test in few days

THANK YOU

anyone heard anything about the new clinical terms?

they said with the new format, they are not using acute and clinical, reversible and irreversible term anymore .. instead they are using symptomatic and asymptomatic ...

Does anyone know anything about this, pls HELP

THANK YOU

THANK YOU

PLS someone Help with answering these Qs .. my test in 2 days :confused::scared::scared::(

Last edited:
the answer for this qs is rifampin, i just found the answer in wikipedia ..

ampicilline is the right answer according to pharma tufts .. But there is no ampicillin here .. And we can't choose penicillin instead because it is not an extended spectrum just like ampecilline and it wont affect the gi microflora .. !!

while rifampin induce the cytochrome p450 and lead to increase the metabolism of many drugs .. Include the oral contraceptive ...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/rifampicin
look for the drug interaction

correct me if i am wrong pls

:thumbup::thumbup: exactly this is the correct answer...!!!
good job denty8833.

which of the following antibiotics has been implicated in the vast majority of cases of oral contraceptive failure during antibiotic use?

A. Penicillin
b. Rifampin
c. Keflex
d. Erythromycin
e. Tetracycline

hey,
can anybody help, this is from old test paper and the answer is rifampicin..how can it be?
[/quote]

1) A 5 yr old patient's restorative appointments, the dentist will administer inhalation sedation. For the patients extraction appointments however the dentist will supplement the sedation with oral medication. For this purpose which of the following drugs will be the most appropriate?

- Hyrdoxyzine
- Diazepam:thumbup: dental decks
- Ketamine
- Meperidine>>mostly used as IV sedation or pain relieve after dental procedure

Yes, for this hydroxyzine is this best answer like rightly said by IWant Smile..!!

Originally Posted by Denty8833

THANK YOU

Lateral incisor for missing permanent.
mandibular 3rd molars for Impacted.

lateral incisor primary tooth .. but for permenent teeth .. the lateral is the most common irregular shape (pig shape),, I think for permenant it would be 2nd mand premolar of 3rd molar !!

pls correct me if I am wrong

THANK YOU

Lateral incisor for missing permanent.
mandibular 3rd molars for Impacted.

lateral incisor primary tooth .. but for permenent teeth .. the lateral is the most common irregular shape (pig shape),, I think for permenant it would be 2nd mand premolar of 3rd molar !!

pls correct me if I am wrong

Nope, Max lateral incisor that is the most common congentially missing also in permanent teeth excluding always 3rd molars.

THANK YOU

Peridontal disease in african american
Dental caries in whites

I hope this is right from my search...:)

Last edited:
look for the card no 44 in pedo section ... u ll find the answer

and get back to me .. because it answer part of the Qs .. still dont know about the permanent ... if it max of mand third molar ??

and the most commonly impacted perm tooth is the max canine .. I saw it somewhere, but still confused with the third molar !!

Nope, Max lateral incisor that is the most common congentially missing also in permanent teeth excluding always 3rd molars.

which of the following is best reason for pouring a condensation impression material as soon as possible?

1. degree of polymerization of condensation polymers is initially high and then decrease with time.
2. evaporation of a volatile by-product causes shrinkage of the set material.:thumbup:
3. if left unpoured, condensation impression material expand as they absorb water from air.
4. condensation polymers will start to react with the polymer of the imp tray and cause distortion.

the dentist seats a full gold crown on a pt mand right second molar, as the pt closes and the teeth come in contact, the pt jaw deflect to the right. on which incline cusp should the adjustment be made?

1. inner of facial
2. outer of facial
3. inner of lingual:thumbup: Not sure
4. outer of lingual

orange stain in FDP is used to? Change hue

Where are all these 3 questions from??

look for the card no 44 in pedo section ... u ll find the answer

and get back to me .. because it answer part of the Qs .. still dont know about the permanent ... if it max of mand third molar ??

and the most commonly impacted perm tooth is the max canine .. I saw it somewhere, but still confused with the third molar !!

Mandibular 3 molar> Maxillary 3 rd molar> Max Canine
This is the sequence so always they ask as excluding 3 molars what is the missing or impacted..

ok so this sequence for the impaction ..

what about the missing?? excluding the 3rd molar ... >> most common would be the mand 2nd premolar ... right?

Mandibular 3 molar> Maxillary 3 rd molar> Max Canine
This is the sequence so always they ask as excluding 3 molars what is the missing or impacted..

2. evaporation of a volatile by-product causes shrinkage of the set material.:thumbup:***

1. inner of facial this is the right answer, it says because the supporting cusp of maxilla hits this surface and deflect to the right ..
2. outer of facial
3. inner of lingual:thumbup: Not sure I think this would be the answer if the it deflects to the left
4. outer of lingual

THANK YOU

my friend sent it to me .. I think tuft ASDA

2. evaporation of a volatile by-product causes shrinkage of the set material.:thumbup:***

1. inner of facial this is the right answer, it says because the supporting cusp of maxilla hits this surface and deflect to the right ..
2. outer of facial
3. inner of lingual:thumbup: Not sure I think this would be the answer if the it deflects to the left
4. outer of lingual

THANK YOU

my friend sent it to me .. I think tuft ASDA

Can you please why the inner of facial in this case, is that the maxillary or mandibular teeth inner inclines you talking off.. Also I am confused if that tooth is mandibular inner of facial( Functional Cusp) adjustment then I am thinking we dont reduce the functional cusp of any tooth.
Thanks.

Can you please why the inner of facial in this case, is that the maxillary or mandibular teeth inner inclines you talking off.. Also I am confused if that tooth is mandibular inner of facial( Functional Cusp) adjustment then I am thinking we dont reduce the functional cusp of any tooth.
Thanks.

well first the answer is the inner incline of the facial cusp of MANDIBULAR MOLAR off course,, u r not going to change the natural tooth !! we r not reducing the cusp height, just occlusal adjustment for the inner incline of the cusp.

and why? well it says in the answer that because when the lingual cusp of max touch the mand molar, the mand deflects to the right (working side)
just make a simple draw for the max and mand cusps in occlusion, and try to imagine it
if the mand deflect to the left (the opposite side), I think then the max cusp mostly touches the inner inclination of the lingual cusp >> which in this case need to be adjusted ...

I hope I understood it right !! because it says the answer but it doesn't say why !!

Hey

pls do u have any idea abt these pts ...

pt management for each of the following condition:

Autism
wheel chair
blind pt
deaf pt

ASAP pls ..

THANK YOU

loss of the primary right molar in a 3 year old child, require the placement of?

the minimal thickness for a cavity liner is 15mm ?? how is that ????? can u explain pls? I thought 0.5-1.5 mm !!

well first the answer is the inner incline of the facial cusp of MANDIBULAR MOLAR off course,, u r not going to change the natural tooth !! we r not reducing the cusp height, just occlusal adjustment for the inner incline of the cusp.

and why? well it says in the answer that because when the lingual cusp of max touch the mand molar, the mand deflects to the right (working side)
just make a simple draw for the max and mand cusps in occlusion, and try to imagine it
if the mand deflect to the left (the opposite side), I think then the max cusp mostly touches the inner inclination of the lingual cusp >> which in this case need to be adjusted ...

I hope I understood it right !! because it says the answer but it doesn't say why !!

Thanks for the reply.

loss of the primary right molar in a 3 year old child, require the placement of?

the minimal thickness for a cavity liner is 15mm ?? how is that ????? can u explain pls? I thought 0.5-1.5 mm !!

3 yr old doesnt need any space maintainence.

Last edited:
Hey

pls do u have any idea abt these pts ...

pt management for each of the following condition:

Autism
wheel chair
blind pt
deaf pt

ASAP pls ..

THANK YOU
Hey ,
Sorry I dont know anything about this.If you have any idea let me know. Probably its the pediatric management of such patients in dental chair.
:confused:

Hey,

Does anybody who have taken PART 2 can tell me, If there is Case question scenario at the end of the 200 or 400 questions for the component A on first day, like in part 1? Or its just on 2nd day the case scenario..

Do we need to expect any:confused:

Thank you..

3 yr old doesnt need any space maintainence.

Minimal thickness for Liner is 0.5-1.5mm, according to Dental decks.
Thickness for cavity liner according to ASDA its 15mm, I dont know so which one.
Decks says 15mm for base. Probably I'll go with decks.

3 years old child ,,, why they dont need space maintainer? what about the mesial drifting of permanent first molar eruption? can u explain why pls?

and for the 15mm ?? isn't that much ? I mean the whole cavity is about 2 mm !!!!
correct me of I am wrong

3 years old child ,,, why they dont need space maintainer? what about the mesial drifting of permanent first molar eruption? can u explain why pls?

and for the 15mm ?? isn't that much ? I mean the whole cavity is about 2 mm !!!!
correct me of I am wrong

Let me correct myself Liners 5 microns(Not mm)
Bases 1-2mm
cements 15-25microns(Not mm)