Official NBME details from AAOMS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
So based on the score interpretation guide, a 65 is the new 90 (NBDE part 1)? Should we followed the proposed modified guide or the original guide attached to the program list document? Hmm...

According to the score interpretation guide, the average on the CBSE correlated to an NBDE score of less than 81. I'm not even sure that the NBDE average is less than 81. So yea, that score correlation is way off if I had to guess.

Members don't see this ad.

Should we retake with a low-mid 70? I'm interested in 6 year programs mostly

OK lets do some analysis here ,, Sept exam 2012 , average 54 , SD 10.4 May exam 2013 average 59 SD 11.6 Sept exam 2013 average 54.4 SD 10.9
Look at how close both September examinations results were , whoever doesn't believe that the posted released / remembered questions in may 2013 played a big role, is fooling himself !!!

Members don't see this ad :)
OK lets do some analysis here ,, Sept exam 2012 , average 54 , SD 10.4 May exam 2013 average 59 SD 11.6 Sept exam 2013 average 54.4 SD 10.9
Look at how close both September examinations results were , whoever doesn't believe that the posted released / remembered questions in may 2013 played a big role, is fooling himself !!!

I don't think those are the actual September 2013 numbers. Totori was likely just joshing everyone with that post.

Should we retake with a low-mid 70? I'm interested in 6 year programs mostly

No, that's a very good score IMO.

I don't think those are the actual September 2013 numbers. Totori was likely just joshing everyone with that post.

Those numbers posted by Totori are accurate per the AAOMS.

Score reports include a numeric total score as well as a performance profile with bands that indicate areas of relative strength and weakness. The CBSE scores are scaled to have a mean of 70, a range of approximately 45 to 95, and a standard deviation of 8. The corresponding statistics for the OMS applicants who took the examination on September 21st is a mean of 54.4, range of 21 to 93, and a standard deviation of 10.9. The AAOMS has developed a score interpretation guide to assist you in understanding your examination score. Please see attached.

No, that's a very good score IMO.

Bereno, Those numbers are accurate as per the email I received from AAOMS.

Now the stats are out,We all are waiting for your awesome statistical analysis again this time around.
;)

Interesting. Looks like I am wrong lol. I wonder why I never heard back from the people at AAOMS... I would like to find the total number of test takers and the number of repeats. If anyone finds out this info, I can update my excel doc. Also, I must say that a lower average is always better for those who were thinking about a retake. :thumbup:

A heads up, my thread on the CBSE scores is updated. Looks like there were quite a few people taking it this time around. I wonder if that is due to the timing of next year's tests.

For those of you who have challenged the exam and were using Uworld Qbank for preparation, what percentages were you getting consistently on the question blocks?

For those of you who have challenged the exam and were using Uworld Qbank for preparation, what percentages were you getting consistently on the question blocks?

First time through = 40's
With 6 mo of studying Goljan, Pathoma, First aid followed by a complete 2nd run through on random 46 question blocks = 70's
NBME Practice test prediction = 70
Actual Sept 2013 NBME = 63 :/

Members don't see this ad :)
Did exactly 50% of UWORLD one time thru with 73% total average on ALL random timed. Was dippin' in the 80's on some of the blocks throughout the couple weeks before the test.

Finished around 70% of the UWorld, studying for 1.5 months.
46 questions at a time, always timed and randomly arranged.
At the end, total % of questions correct was 82%.
Did fairly well on the actual Sept 2012 NBME

Hey do you guys think its worth a re-write for 60+ or a 65+? Obviously a 70+ is a keeper.

Hey do you guys think its worth a re-write for 60+ or a 65+? Obviously a 70+ is a keeper.
No. From what I have heard from people that were accepted, many people on the interview trail had scores in the 50's and 60's

65+? No
<65? Maybe. 63 worked for me but if I had another opportunity I would have sat for the exam again because of the assuredness a >65 gives. Another few months of studying would have for sure got me a few more points. Then again, if it was my 3rd time taking the exam and I wasn't improving consistently (I jumped from a 53-63 between two exam dates), then I probably would keep the lower score...

65+? No
<65? Maybe. 63 worked for me but if I had another opportunity I would have sat for the exam again because of the assuredness a >65 gives. Another few months of studying would have for sure got me a few more points. Then again, if it was my 3rd time taking the exam and I wasn't improving consistently (I jumped from a 53-63 between two exam dates), then I probably would keep the lower score...

If I have two scores can I only send the better score ?

For those who went on interviews and had an NBME score to report. Do you know if the schools have a cut off?

Thoughts on today's CBSE:

Nothing horribly unexpected, but far from easy. Used Uworld + First Aid. Never really surpassed 50s in uworld, so we'll see how this goes :shifty:

Nothing horribly unexpected, but far from easy. Used Uworld + First Aid. Never really surpassed 50s in uworld, so we'll see how this goes :shifty:

Good to year nothing unexpected on it. Best of luck with your score. I will be sitting in your shoes this coming August! :eek::nailbiting:

Yeah, agree it wasn't unexpected but it wasn't easy either. I used UWorld & FA for prep too. I hope Thursday brings good news.

Yeah, agree it wasn't unexpected but it wasn't easy either. I used UWorld & FA for prep too. I hope Thursday brings good news.

You think it will be this Thursday? I'll need to add a bottle of bourbon to my grocery list.

It seems from the lack of responses that this year's February exam must have had significantly less candidates challenging the exam. I wonder how that will affect the percentiles.

You think it will be this Thursday? I'll need to add a bottle of bourbon to my grocery list.

It seems from the lack of responses that this year's February exam must have had significantly less candidates challenging the exam. I wonder how that will affect the percentiles.

Yes, at least going by the pattern with previous exams. For the number of people taking the exam I think we'll just have to wait till the stats are released but in general I think people mostly post here when the results come out.

What is the best material to study for the NBME? Anyone, please tell me. Thanks

Just took that exam.... Definitely retaking it in August.

I'll go first.

Challenged the Feb. 15 exam.
Received my score at 2:20 PM ET today.
Got an 89 out of a med-heavy curriculum school.

PM me for more details/questions/advice. The med-heavy curriculum helps, but high scores ARE possible without it.

Reactions: 3 users
Scored in the high 50s, will be joining everyone taking it in the fall.

Scored in the high 50s, will be joining everyone taking it in the fall.
Im curious, and others please contribute as well. How long did you study , and was it interrupted with school commitments? Thank you

anyone else get an email from AAOMS allowing them to reschedule/retake the exam in the next few weeks?

Yea. I'm going to call them tomorrow to see what that's about

Reactions: 1 user
i got a 55. will be retaking in august.
i also got the email about retaking/rescheduling.

it must be a glitch since there is no explanation or rationale in the email as to why the new permit in addition to the fact that this email has been sent nationwide.......on a sunday

What was the average and standard deviation for the February exam?

It has not been released yet. It is usually one week after scores are released but if for any reason the rescheduling link/permit sent was not a glitch and people are in fact allowed to retake up to March 15th, it will be two weeks after the 15th (around the 30th).

Just got an email reply from Mary...that retake email was a mistake. No retake is being offered.

Challenged the Feb 2014 exam - 1st timer
Score - 72
Med-weak curriculum school
Resources used - UWORLD (100%), First Aid (100%), Pathoma (50%), Goljan (50%)
Time spent preparing - approx 4 months total - first two months off and on, last two months heavily

Reactions: 3 users
I realize I posted the same thing a couple of weeks ago, but have you all received the email saying what the average and standard deviation was for this last testing cycle?

Nope, nothing yet. Then again with the false rescheduling email I am not sure they completely understand the way email works

For those who are curious, the February 15th CBSE stats are up. Just an FYI.

These are the numbers that a fellow SDNer was kind enough to send me (verified by Mary from AAOMS):

Mean: 53.6
Stdev: 10.9
Min: 32
Max: 92
N: 231

Last edited: