*~*~*~*Official Personal Statement Guide and Reader List 2011-2012*~*~*~*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
If you do NOT see someone's name in the most recent post, please do NOT send them a message asking them to read a new PS.

For readers: Come back and add your name when you have more time and are able to read more personal statements.

DO NOT ERASE THESE INSTRUCTIONS!
1) Click "quote" on the most recent post.
2) Add your SDN screen name, your credentials, and specific things you are willing to edit for (content only, grammar only, etc). DO NOT post your email address.
3) Delete the quote tags at both the top and the bottom.
4) If you are unable to read any more personal statements, please come back and remove your name from the list.

BullDog4Eva | Incoming MS1, Bio major, had my PS proofread by many people and did my fair share of editing others. I realized I enjoy very much tightening up paragraphs and making them sound stronger. I can edit for content, grammar, and/or style. Make sure you let me know as I will get the essay back much sooner if I only have to focus on one.

SimplyMars9 | Incoming MS1, Biology major. I have taken many writing intensive classes (including two honors classes) and I have done very well in all of them. I have edited many essays for family, friends, classmates, etc and so far I have had no complaints, just satisfied customers. I can edit for both content and grammar.

painmd87 | Incoming MS1 with 2 years healthcare clinical experience. Dual journalism/biology major, correspondent for multiple major metropolitan newspapers | Will advise on content, grammar, conciseness (get to the point!) and especially opening grafs. Can turn it around quickly. .doc .doc .doc! That little x at the end kills me.
**On hiatus until Tuesday. Gotta go close on my new house. Do not request until Tues, May 31. If I have already worked on yours with you, send me new drafts but realize it may take a little bit to get it back**

Nwilkes | Incoming MS1, Chem/Bio double major. I was a student journalist for my college newspaper and the editor in chief of my high school newspaper. I have some very non-trad job and living experience, although I am a traditional applicant. | Will edit for grammar, flow, content, and whatever you prefer - but you must tell me first. The faint of heart may not want to apply.**On hiatus; I will update when I have reliable internet access and can accept more statements.**

taylormade2006 | Incoming non-trad MS1 pursuing a second career in medicine, although my prior work experience was in a medically related field. Multiple bio related degrees. | Willing to help edit content and flow. I do not recommend myself for grammar checking. I am direct and to the point. I can accept almost all formats, including mac .pages documents. Please don't send pdf because I can't easily edit the text on a pdf.

mafunk | Non-trad premed applying in 2012 for 2013 matriculation. 14 years as Marketing/Pr manager. Philosophy degree, summa cum laude. Published (newspapers, not academic). Extensive experience in writing for PR and marketing. | Will read for content/message, but not for grammar or spelling.

CaptainSSO | Incoming MS-1, 39 MCAT, Phi Beta Kappa. I'm a good writer, but more importantly, I read a TON and can recognize quality writing. | Can help with any aspect of the PS.

acb88 | Incoming MS1, Biology Major, I have a lot of research and international experiences, I have dont a lot of editing in the past and I enjoy it. | Will edit for content and grammar, and style.

kcola | B.S. Biology, wrote/edited 2 manuscripts. | can edit for content and basic grammar. :)

StudyShy | I am a nontraditional student with a background in nursing and am currently halfway through a master's degree in history. I assist regularly in editing nursing papers for coworkers, and I tested out of English in high school. Since I have not applied to medical school yet, only use me if others who have achieved medical school acceptances are unable to take on more personal statements. I will edit for style, content, and grammar. Please tell me if English is not your primary language. Ideally, I want cogently-written personal statements that demonstrate that you have put some thought and time into your efforts.

NickNaylor | I'm an incoming MS1 and would be happy to read some statements. A couple of requests:

-Please don't send me a first draft. If you send me crap, I will send you editing that isn't all that great. Your draft should be as good as you can make it before sending it to anyone (myself included).

-Please give me a couple of days to get back to you. I'll go as fast as I can!

tushara | I would be happy to read some statements. I now work as a neuroscientist after having majored in psych and english. My qualifications as a reader include getting 5s on both AP English exams, perfect writing sample scores on SAT and ACT, S on the MCAT writing, and I've written and read loads of essays and manuscripts for friends and colleagues. I also read for fun ALL the time. | I will edit for style, content, and grammar but not if you send me a first draft. I can especially help with transitions between ideas/sentences and brevity. Best of luck and happy writing!
**On hiatus until I catch up, I will update when I am ready to accept more statements**

Nope80 | Incoming PGY1 resident. I just graduated from medical school, and would be more than happy to give back in the form of application advice and/or PS edits. | I can edit for content and grammar. Please let me know if there are any specific areas you have questions about. I will try to get back within 24 hours. Good luck everyone!

gujuDoc | I've read hundreds of PSes on these forums in the past. Especially was very active in this arena in both 2006 and 2007 summers when I was last a PS reader. I got an S on my last MCAT. | I will edit for content but don't expect wholesale grammar corrections from me, because I'm probably not best for it. But i can give you direction and ideas of how to approach PS using your experiences and talents to create a theme and content direction to give it structure.

But in making it sound pretty by rewording things I may not be so helpful. But can definitely help give content direction and help give ideas of how you can approach things to create a unifying theme and tell you if you are on the right track. That's where I work best.

Members don't see this ad.

If you do NOT see someone's name in the most recent post, please do NOT send them a message asking them to read a new PS.

For readers: Come back and add your name when you have more time and are able to read more personal statements.

2) Add your SDN screen name, your credentials, and specific things you are willing to edit for (content only, grammar only, etc). DO NOT post your email address.
4) If you are unable to read any more personal statements, please come back and remove your name from the list.

BullDog4Eva | Incoming MS1, Bio major, had my PS proofread by many people and did my fair share of editing others. I realized I enjoy very much tightening up paragraphs and making them sound stronger. I can edit for content, grammar, and/or style. Make sure you let me know as I will get the essay back much sooner if I only have to focus on one.

SimplyMars9 | Incoming MS1, Biology major. I have taken many writing intensive classes (including two honors classes) and I have done very well in all of them. I have edited many essays for family, friends, classmates, etc and so far I have had no complaints, just satisfied customers. I can edit for both content and grammar.

Nwilkes | Incoming MS1, Chem/Bio double major. I was a student journalist for my college newspaper and the editor in chief of my high school newspaper. I have some very non-trad job and living experience, although I am a traditional applicant. | Will edit for grammar, flow, content, and whatever you prefer - but you must tell me first. The faint of heart may not want to apply.**On hiatus; I will update when I have reliable internet access and can accept more statements.**

taylormade2006 | Incoming non-trad MS1 pursuing a second career in medicine, although my prior work experience was in a medically related field. Multiple bio related degrees. | Willing to help edit content and flow. I do not recommend myself for grammar checking. I am direct and to the point. I can accept almost all formats, including mac .pages documents. Please don't send pdf because I can't easily edit the text on a pdf.

mafunk | Non-trad premed applying in 2012 for 2013 matriculation. 14 years as Marketing/Pr manager. Philosophy degree, summa cum laude. Published (newspapers, not academic). Extensive experience in writing for PR and marketing. | Will read for content/message, but not for grammar or spelling.

CaptainSSO | Incoming MS-1, 39 MCAT, Phi Beta Kappa. I'm a good writer, but more importantly, I read a TON and can recognize quality writing. | Can help with any aspect of the PS.

acb88 | Incoming MS1, Biology Major, I have a lot of research and international experiences, I have dont a lot of editing in the past and I enjoy it. | Will edit for content and grammar, and style.

kcola | B.S. Biology, wrote/edited 2 manuscripts. | can edit for content and basic grammar. :)

StudyShy | I am a nontraditional student with a background in nursing and am currently halfway through a master's degree in history. I assist regularly in editing nursing papers for coworkers, and I tested out of English in high school. Since I have not applied to medical school yet, only use me if others who have achieved medical school acceptances are unable to take on more personal statements. I will edit for style, content, and grammar. Please tell me if English is not your primary language. Ideally, I want cogently-written personal statements that demonstrate that you have put some thought and time into your efforts.

NickNaylor | I'm an incoming MS1 and would be happy to read some statements. A couple of requests:

-Please don't send me a first draft. If you send me crap, I will send you editing that isn't all that great. Your draft should be as good as you can make it before sending it to anyone (myself included).

tushara | I would be happy to read some statements. I now work as a neuroscientist after having majored in psych and english. My qualifications as a reader include getting 5s on both AP English exams, perfect writing sample scores on SAT and ACT, S on the MCAT writing, and I've written and read loads of essays and manuscripts for friends and colleagues. I also read for fun ALL the time. | I will edit for style, content, and grammar but not if you send me a first draft. I can especially help with transitions between ideas/sentences and brevity. Best of luck and happy writing!
**On hiatus until I catch up, I will update when I am ready to accept more statements**

Nope80 | Incoming PGY1 resident. I just graduated from medical school, and would be more than happy to give back in the form of application advice and/or PS edits. | I can edit for content and grammar. Please let me know if there are any specific areas you have questions about. I will try to get back within 24 hours. Good luck everyone!

gujuDoc | I've read hundreds of PSes on these forums in the past. Especially was very active in this arena in both 2006 and 2007 summers when I was last a PS reader. I got an S on my last MCAT. | I will edit for content but don't expect wholesale grammar corrections from me, because I'm probably not best for it. But i can give you direction and ideas of how to approach PS using your experiences and talents to create a theme and content direction to give it structure.

But in making it sound pretty by rewording things I may not be so helpful. But can definitely help give content direction and help give ideas of how you can approach things to create a unifying theme and tell you if you are on the right track. That's where I work best.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)

taylormade2006 | Incoming non-trad MS1 pursuing a second career in medicine, although my prior work experience was in a medically related field. Multiple bio related degrees. | Willing to help edit content and flow. I do not recommend myself for grammar checking. I am direct and to the point. I can accept almost all formats, including mac .pages documents. Please don't send pdf because I can't easily edit the text on a pdf. I am also on hiatus for the time being until I can catch up. I will edit this post if I am willing to receive more essays.

taylormade2006 | Incoming non-trad MS1 pursuing a second career in medicine, although my prior work experience was in a medically related field. Multiple bio related degrees. | Willing to help edit content and flow. I do not recommend myself for grammar checking. I am direct and to the point. I can accept almost all formats, including mac .pages documents. Please don't send pdf because I can't easily edit the text on a pdf. I am also on hiatus for the time being until I can catch up. I will edit this post if I am willing to receive more essays.

But in making it sound pretty by rewording things I may not be so helpful. But can definitely help give content direction and help give ideas of how you can approach things to create a unifying theme and tell you if you are on the right track. That's where I work best

Margra | Incoming MS1. Molecular Genetics BS and a Master's Degree in Genetic Counseling. I love editing, and am more than willing to critique content, style, and [some] grammar. I received an R on my MCAT writing, and had extensive editing of my PS by an adcom member, and feel I have a great grasp of what to look for. Matriculating with a low GPA, so I may be help to some members in a similar situation.

If someone could add this under my name I'd appreciate it......

Please DO NOT send Visitor messages. I WILL delete them.

If you want my help send a PM request only.

Secondly, I'm not going to be working with DO apps. My familiarity and comfort is working with AMCAS apps as that is what i know better. So if you want a reader for DO only apps it is my belief you are better suited to finding someone else. If you are looking for caribbean island apps the same deal goes. please request someone else.

lastly, i'm sorry if I upset some with this but I prefer to work with what I know and as I'm already getting loads of requests before I've completed all the ones I've already had its better I just stick to what I know.

But in making it sound pretty by rewording things I may not be so helpful. But can definitely help give content direction and help give ideas of how you can approach things to create a unifying theme and tell you if you are on the right track. That's where I work best

Secondly, I'm not going to be working with DO apps. My familiarity and comfort is working with AMCAS apps as that is what i know better. So if you want a reader for DO only apps it is my belief you are better suited to finding someone else. If you are looking for caribbean island apps the same deal goes. please request someone else.

lastly, i'm sorry if I upset some with this but I prefer to work with what I know and as I'm already getting loads of requests before I've completed all the ones I've already had its better I just stick to what I know

Margra | Incoming MS1. Molecular Genetics BS and a Master's Degree in Genetic Counseling. I love editing, and am more than willing to critique content, style, and [some] grammar. I received an R on my MCAT writing, and had extensive editing of my PS by an adcom member, and feel I have a great grasp of what to look for. Matriculating with a low GPA, so I may be help to some members in a similar situation.

Lil Mick | Honors humanities student in college, Phi Beta Kappa, >95% MCAT writing & GRE analytical writing, wrote for my school paper/published in literary journals, tutored college students in introductory/writing classes, volunteered with my college's personal statement writing course, pre-med mentoring program during medical school, annoying person who always corrects others' grammar, and helpful person who edits my friends' college humanities papers.. | Content and grammar; willing to help with other essays required by AMCAS for MD/PhD applicants (research and MD/PhD essays)

2050vlsb | Incoming MS1, social science double major (lots of essays/writing), "T" on MCAT writing sample, 5 on AP Eng Lang, Lit, edited essays for friends applying to MD, MPH, DDS programs, strong writer | Content and grammar (let me know what you're looking for!)
Currently swamped with quite a few PS'es, so I can't accept any more for the moment ... will update once I catch up on the ones I have!

dragon529 | Incoming MS1, Bio major, edited for friends who applied to MD programs, used this service when I applied so I'm just trying to give back my share | will edit mainly for content and flow

BullDog4Eva | Incoming MS1, Bio major, had my PS proofread by many people and did my fair share of editing others. I realized I enjoy very much tightening up paragraphs and making them sound stronger. I can edit for content, grammar, and/or style. Make sure you let me know as I will get the essay back much sooner if I only have to focus on one. Swamped with a huge backlog of statements right now. Will update once I'm available to accept more.

mauberley | Non-trad incoming MS1, EE major, reviewing technical documents for the better part of my 7+ year career in industry. Grammar nazi. Edited a friend's PS for last cycle and she was complimented by an adcom member. | Will edit for content, organization, grammar, and spelling. I won't tell you what to write, but I will ask you what you're trying to tell me and I will in turn let you know if that message is coming through. Expect 1-2 week turnaround from receipt to first comments.

karayraisu | Incoming MS1, double major in science and humanities, 13S on verbal+writing, 5 on AP Eng Lit, keeps a fairly popular online blog =p | Will edit only for content - my grammar is actually not the best, but I have a pretty good eye in reading for voice, structure, and message. You can always start with me and then move on to a grammar-oriented person once you're happy with the structure of your PS. Please allow one week for responses, so no rush orders (or use me as a second/third/fourth/nth opinion).

tlaloc87 | Incoming MS1, 2 years out of undergrad; English/Comp Lit major [yes, jocks read/write too.]; former columnist for college paper; favorite book is "Elements of Style"; several interviewers commented on my PS--take that as you will | Will edit for grammar, style, voice, conciseness, etc. with pretty quick (~2 day) turnaround.
No longer accepting wholesale content edits. Feel free to use me to polish a well constructed PS.

painmd87 | Incoming MS1 with 2 years healthcare clinical experience. Dual journalism/biology major, correspondent for multiple major metropolitan newspapers | Will advise on content, grammar, conciseness (get to the point!) and especially opening grafs. Can turn it around quickly. .doc .doc .doc! That little x at the end kills me.

Nwilkes | Incoming MS1, Chem/Bio double major. I was a student journalist for my college newspaper and was the editor in chief of my high school newspaper. I have some very non-trad job and living experience, although I am a traditional applicant. | Will edit for grammar, flow, content, and whatever you prefer - but you must tell me first. The faint of heart may not want to apply.

glasshalfMD | Incoming MS1 (S on writing section of MCAT); non-trad (two years clinical research between undergrad and medical school matriculation - including publications); degree in psychology with a second major in Spanish | Willing to edit grammar, sentence structure, word choice, flow, etc. - please specify. I generally have some time during the work day, but turnaround time of 1+ weeks should be expected.

DancingThruLife | Incoming MS1, non-trad (research in between), went to a top 3 liberal arts college (lots of writing) | Willing to edit for some gross errors in grammar, but mainly will give feedback on tone, content, flow. If there is something that I am not understanding/is not clear, I will let you know. If you have a section in your PS that you are committed to and that talks about being a URM/extenuating circumstances/being disadvantaged/LGBT, etc., I can help with making it sound neutral and not whiny/controversial. 7-10 days for turn-around. Can only commit to having a max. of 5 on my plate at a time.

Unable to edit any more PSs for the time being. Will update when I get a chance to read some more. :luck:

Asyouwereatrio | Incoming MS-1. Received my degree in Bio Sci. | I will holistically read for content--looking specifically for a "good reason" (unique) to enter medicine. Will also read for grammar mistakes. Let me know what you want me to look for via PM. You can embed the PS in the text or email me an attachment. PM for details. Will take several days (5-7) to read/return.

CaptainSSO | Incoming MS-1, 39 MCAT, Phi Betta Kappa. I'm a good writer, but more importantly, I read a TON and can recognize quality writing. | Can help with any aspect of the PS.

MSFbound | Incoming MS1, Political Science major at an Ivy + got an A+ on my 60 pg senior thesis (lots of writing!!), got 11 interview invites with pretty average stats (33Q, 3.6/3.4) but many of my interviewers commented on my PS, wrote for high school newspaper | will edit for content, flow, grammer, etc...just let me know. Now that the app cycle is over, I've got some time on my hands...especially have experience in topics surrounding international health

ComradeDino | Incoming MS-1, Bio/Chem Double major, Summa Cum Laude, published thesis and working on research publication, will edit for any aspect of PS.

Kaustikos | Incoming MS1, Pharmacology M.S., I've read Personal Statements from both Med School/Grad School, edited numerous journals/manuscripts.| Will edit for grammar/sentence structure as well as content.

medzealot | I’ve read a lot of personal statements. My strengths as an editor are:
  • Helping you get under 5300 characters
  • Telling you the truth about whether or not your personal statement is heinous
  • Relentlessly castrating your dangling prepositions
  • Correcting other, more important grammatical problems
  • Improving flow
My qualifications:
  • My high school English teachers were outrageously good.
  • I have a fair amount of editing experience.
  • I have scored in the eleventy-billionth percentile on all standardized English/Verbal/AP Composition tests and subtests, except for the English portion of the CAT test in second grade, on which I scored in the paltry 99th percentile. I’m pretty sure the scantron machine that graded my test was a communist.
  • I’m old. Old people should have their essays read by other old people.
My requests are simple. Tell me how you want me to help you improve your essay (grammar, content, flow, etc.). Along with your PS, send me a couple of sentences describing who you are as a person, and what message you want to send adcoms through your PS. If you have no (or low) post count on sdn, I will scrutinize this information, but as long as you seem like you are using this service in a legitimate fashion, I will read for you. If your writing is so bad that I put your PS in Google Translator and it spits out something like “I found a Taco Bell wrapper in my underwear drawer,” I will not read for you. If English is not your first language, tell me that upfront so I don’t think you’re screwing with me.

lastly, i'm sorry if I upset some with this but I prefer to work with what I know and as I'm already getting loads of requests before I've completed all the ones I've already had its better I just stick to what I know

Kaustikos | Incoming MS1, Pharmacology M.S., I've read Personal Statements from both Med School/Grad School, edited numerous journals/manuscripts.| Will edit for grammar/sentence structure as well as content. - BACK IN THE GAME

Guys, just to help the situation...if you're on hiatus, please take your name off of the list completely.

SimplyMars9 | Incoming MS1, Biology major. I have taken many writing intensive classes (including two honors classes) and I have done very well in all of them. I have edited many essays for family, friends, classmates, etc and so far I have had no complaints, just satisfied customers. I can edit for both content and grammar.http://forums.studentdoctor.net/member.php?u=272668

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/member.php?u=376006

Kaustikos | Incoming MS1, Pharmacology M.S., I've read Personal Statements from both Med School/Grad School, edited numerous journals/manuscripts.| Will edit for grammar/sentence structure as well as content. - BACK IN THE GAME

Guys, just to help the situation...if you're on hiatus, please take your name off of the list completely.

mafunk | Non-trad premed applying in 2012 for 2013 matriculation. 14 years as Marketing/Pr manager. Philosophy degree, summa cum laude. Published (newspapers, not academic). Extensive experience in writing for PR and marketing. | Will read for content/message, but not for grammar or spelling. Will only read for people with a history of contributing/giving to SDN. Please do not contact me if you have few posts, or if your only posts are asking for help but never offering it.

Members don't see this ad :)

mafunk | Non-trad premed applying in 2012 for 2013 matriculation. 14 years as Marketing/Pr manager. Philosophy degree, summa cum laude. Published (newspapers, not academic). Extensive experience in writing for PR and marketing. | Will read for content/message, but not for grammar or spelling. Will only read for people with a history of contributing/giving to SDN. Please do not contact me if you have few posts, or if your only posts are asking for help but never offering it.

ucladoc2b | Incoming MS1, Political Science BA, Non Trad, 5 years work experience as a management consultant. Will edit for grammar/sentence structure as well as content. Will try to give you some solid feedback for this very key piece of a very frusterating process.

ucladoc2b | Incoming MS1, Political Science BA, Non Trad, 5 years work experience as a management consultant. Will edit for grammar/sentence structure as well as content. Will try to give you some solid feedback for this very key piece of a very frusterating process.

To avoid spamming PMs, is there anyone that can help edit my PS? I'd really appreciate it!!! :D :D

Also to avoid spamming, I was wondering if someone would read my PS. I am a re-applicant and reworking my original PS. Let me know! Thanks.

I PM'd you both. I feel like such a huuuaaar! ;)

LaFleur | Non-traditional student applying in 2012 at the earliest. BS in Biology-Psychology. Was Editor In Chief of high school newspaper, copy editor for a semester of college newspaper. Haven't taken the MCAT yet, did very well on all the English focused standardized exams in high school, and subsequently tested out of any writing requirements at my college, but for the first two years I was an international affairs major, so I've taken a variety of writing-intensive classes. Have experience editing manuscripts, papers, chapters of books because my parents are not native English speaking professionals. Let me know what you want me to look for (content, spelling/grammar, flow, etc.) and I will try to help you out.

LaFleur | Non-traditional student applying in 2012 at the earliest. BS in Biology-Psychology. Was Editor In Chief of high school newspaper, copy editor for a semester of college newspaper. Haven't taken the MCAT yet, did very well on all the English focused standardized exams in high school, and subsequently tested out of any writing requirements at my college, but for the first two years I was an international affairs major, so I've taken a variety of writing-intensive classes. Have experience editing manuscripts, papers, chapters of books because my parents are not native English speaking professionals. Let me know what you want me to look for (content, spelling/grammar, flow, etc.) and I will try to help you out.

=wanderlustlife;10934742]DO NOT ERASE THESE INSTRUCTIONS!

RanRun|English Major, scored an S on the writing section of the MCAT. Work for the writing center at my school. | Content and grammar.

Lil Mick | Honors humanities student in college, Phi Beta Kappa, >95% MCAT writing & GRE analytical writing, wrote for my school paper/published in literary journals, tutored college students in introductory/writing classes, volunteered with my college's personal statement writing course, pre-med mentoring program during medical school, annoying person who always corrects others' grammar, and helpful person who edits my friends' college humanities papers.. | Content and grammar; willing to help with other essays required by AMCAS for MD/PhD applicants (research and MD/PhD essays)

2050vlsb | Incoming MS1, social science double major (lots of essays/writing), "T" on MCAT writing sample, 5 on AP Eng Lang, Lit, edited essays for friends applying to MD, MPH, DDS programs, strong writer | Content and grammar (let me know what you're looking for!)
Currently swamped with quite a few PS'es, so I can't accept any more for the moment ... will update once I catch up on the ones I have!

dragon529 | Incoming MS1, Bio major, edited for friends who applied to MD programs, used this service when I applied so I'm just trying to give back my share | will edit mainly for content and flow

mauberley | Non-trad incoming MS1, EE major, reviewing technical documents for the better part of my 7+ year career in industry. Grammar nazi. Edited a friend's PS for last cycle and she was complimented by an adcom member. | Will edit for content, organization, grammar, and spelling. I won't tell you what to write, but I will ask you what you're trying to tell me and I will in turn let you know if that message is coming through. Expect 1-2 week turnaround from receipt to first comments.

karayraisu | Incoming MS1, double major in science and humanities, 13S on verbal+writing, 5 on AP Eng Lit, keeps a fairly popular online blog =p | Will edit only for content - my grammar is actually not the best, but I have a pretty good eye in reading for voice, structure, and message. You can always start with me and then move on to a grammar-oriented person once you're happy with the structure of your PS. Please allow one week for responses, so no rush orders (or use me as a second/third/fourth/nth opinion).

tlaloc87 | Incoming MS1, 2 years out of undergrad; English/Comp Lit major [yes, jocks read/write too.]; former columnist for college paper; favorite book is "Elements of Style"; several interviewers commented on my PS--take that as you will | Will edit for grammar, style, voice, conciseness, etc. with pretty quick (~2 day) turnaround.
No longer accepting wholesale content edits. Feel free to use me to polish a well constructed PS.

Nwilkes | Incoming MS1, Chem/Bio double major. I was a student journalist for my college newspaper and was the editor in chief of my high school newspaper. I have some very non-trad job and living experience, although I am a traditional applicant. | Will edit for grammar, flow, content, and whatever you prefer - but you must tell me first. The faint of heart may not want to apply.

glasshalfMD | Incoming MS1 (S on writing section of MCAT); non-trad (two years clinical research between undergrad and medical school matriculation - including publications); degree in psychology with a second major in Spanish | Willing to edit grammar, sentence structure, word choice, flow, etc. - please specify. I generally have some time during the work day, but turnaround time of 1+ weeks should be expected.

DancingThruLife | Incoming MS1, non-trad (research in between), went to a top 3 liberal arts college (lots of writing) | Willing to edit for some gross errors in grammar, but mainly will give feedback on tone, content, flow. If there is something that I am not understanding/is not clear, I will let you know. If you have a section in your PS that you are committed to and that talks about being a URM/extenuating circumstances/being disadvantaged/LGBT, etc., I can help with making it sound neutral and not whiny/controversial. 7-10 days for turn-around. Can only commit to having a max. of 5 on my plate at a time.

Unable to edit any more PSs for the time being. Will update when I get a chance to read some more. :luck:

Asyouwereatrio | Incoming MS-1. Received my degree in Bio Sci. | I will holistically read for content--looking specifically for a "good reason" (unique) to enter medicine. Will also read for grammar mistakes. Let me know what you want me to look for via PM. You can embed the PS in the text or email me an attachment. PM for details. Will take several days (5-7) to read/return.

CaptainSSO | Incoming MS-1, 39 MCAT, Phi Betta Kappa. I'm a good writer, but more importantly, I read a TON and can recognize quality writing. | Can help with any aspect of the PS.

MSFbound | Incoming MS1, Political Science major at an Ivy + got an A+ on my 60 pg senior thesis (lots of writing!!), got 11 interview invites with pretty average stats (33Q, 3.6/3.4) but many of my interviewers commented on my PS, wrote for high school newspaper | will edit for content, flow, grammer, etc...just let me know. Now that the app cycle is over, I've got some time on my hands...especially have experience in topics surrounding international health

ComradeDino | Incoming MS-1, Bio/Chem Double major, Summa Cum Laude, published thesis and working on research publication, will edit for any aspect of PS.

Kaustikos | Incoming MS1, Pharmacology M.S., I've read Personal Statements from both Med School/Grad School, edited numerous journals/manuscripts.| Will edit for grammar/sentence structure as well as content.

medzealot | I've read a lot of personal statements. My strengths as an editor are:
  • Helping you get under 5300 characters
  • Telling you the truth about whether or not your personal statement is heinous
  • Relentlessly castrating your dangling prepositions
  • Correcting other, more important grammatical problems
  • Improving flow
My qualifications:
  • My high school English teachers were outrageously good.
  • I have a fair amount of editing experience.
  • I have scored in the eleventy-billionth percentile on all standardized English/Verbal/AP Composition tests and subtests, except for the English portion of the CAT test in second grade, on which I scored in the paltry 99th percentile. I'm pretty sure the scantron machine that graded my test was a communist.
  • I'm old. Old people should have their essays read by other old people.
My requests are simple. Tell me how you want me to help you improve your essay (grammar, content, flow, etc.). Along with your PS, send me a couple of sentences describing who you are as a person, and what message you want to send adcoms through your PS. If you have no (or low) post count on sdn, I will scrutinize this information, but as long as you seem like you are using this service in a legitimate fashion, I will read for you. If your writing is so bad that I put your PS in Google Translator and it spits out something like "I found a Taco Bell wrapper in my underwear drawer," I will not read for you. If English is not your first language, tell me that upfront so I don't think you're screwing with me.

RanRun | English Major, scored an S on the writing section of the MCAT. Work for the writing center at my school. | Content and grammar.

=sector9;11084157]DO NOT ERASE THESE INSTRUCTIONS!

Hey! I was wondering if anyone would be able to read my personal statement as I am getting readying to submit my amcas application in a few days. It has been edited a few times, so you won't be reading a rough draft. I am just looking for any extra ideas you may have for me! Let me know if you're willing to read it please. I tried the personal statement readers thread, but noone responded so please dont backlash to hard at me. PM if you're willing to help me out! :p

About two of the people I PM'd for advise decided to withdraw from the list now, and others have not replied at all (send requests on Saturday).

There needs to be a massive update on that list.

Last edited:

thegreatergood | Incoming MS1 who just graduated with a science major. I took a lot of writing classes and tutored at the writing center at my college. I'll mainly look at grammar and ways to improve sentence structure so that the essay reads well. I used this service last year and found it helpful so just thought I'd return the favor...If you are interested, PM me and I will get back to you.

thegreatergood | Incoming MS1 who just graduated with a science major. I took a lot of writing classes and tutored at the writing center at my college. I'll mainly look at grammar and ways to improve sentence structure so that the essay reads well. I used this service last year and found it helpful so just thought I'd return the favor...If you are interested, PM me and I will get back to you. | SORRY, BUT GOT LIKE 10 IN ONE DAY, SO I AM ON BREAK.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/member.php?u=282551mauberley | Non-trad incoming MS1, EE major, reviewing technical documents for the better part of my 7+ year career in industry. Grammar nazi. Edited a friend's PS for last cycle and she was complimented by an adcom member. | Will edit for content, organization, grammar, and spelling. I won't tell you what to write, but I will ask you what you're trying to tell me and I will in turn let you know if that message is coming through. Expect 1-2 week turnaround from receipt to first comments. Do NOT request a review from me if you are seeking faster turnaround.

Ok guys, this is probably going to be the last polite reminder before something drastic happens.

Stop sending requests to people who are not in the latest post.

If you are NOT reading anymore...take yourself off of the list COMPLETELY.

About two of the people I PM'd for advise decided to withdraw from the list now, and others have not replied at all (send requests on Saturday).

There needs to be a massive update on that list.

Just for clarification, I did review his PS and sent it back on 6/5 although he probably wants others to read it.

StudyShy | I am a nontraditional student with a background in nursing and am currently halfway through a master's degree in history. I assist regularly in editing nursing papers for coworkers, and I tested out of English in high school. Since I have not applied to medical school yet, only use me if others who have achieved medical school acceptances are unable to take on more personal statements. I will edit for style, content, and grammar. Please tell me if English is not your primary language. Ideally, I want cogently-written personal statements that demonstrate that you have put some thought and time into your efforts.http://forums.studentdoctor.net/member.php?u=205295

mauberley | Non-trad incoming MS1, EE major, reviewing technical documents for the better part of my 7+ year career in industry. Grammar nazi. Edited a friend's PS for last cycle and she was complimented by an adcom member. | Will edit for content, organization, grammar, and spelling. I won't tell you what to write, but I will ask you what you're trying to tell me and I will in turn let you know if that message is coming through. Expect 1-2 week turnaround from receipt to first comments. Do NOT request a review from me if you are seeking faster turnaround.

Ok guys, this is probably going to be the last polite reminder before something drastic happens.

Stop sending requests to people who are not in the latest post.

If you are NOT reading anymore...take yourself off of the list COMPLETELY.

There is fault on both ends. There is an extraordinary amount of applicants sending personal statements. I took myself off the list because I was receiving 15-20 a day. I can do about 10 a day. Add in the re-edits from students who had previously sent me statements, and it became too burdensome. So it can be difficult for someone to get in here and edit his name off the list before he gets overwhelmed with requests.

The other side of the fault goes to applicants who are sending requests to people not in the last post. I have received 30 PMs since I took myself off the list. It's just not the kind of careful attention to detail that this process requires.

Don't get me wrong; I loved doing this and I believe I helped quite a few people craft quality essays. There were frustrating parts, such a spending an hour or two suggesting changes and improvements only to get a request to edit a second draft that had all the same problems as round one. Hopefully I'll be able to get back on the list soon; I'm in the process of moving and getting settled for school, transferring my wife's job and finding daycare for my daughter. Give me a few weeks and I'll be back.

Thank you to all the other helpful readers and to CougarMD for setting this up, as well as thank to the grateful applicants who have graciously taken my advice.

I just want to jump in and say THANK YOU to all the amazing people who are volunteering their time to read personal statements.

I don't know what I would have done if this service wasn't offered.

Thanks again! :)

Just chiming in to say that I am still reviewing/looking at Personal Statements. I apologize if I don't immediately respond to your PM asking for me to look at it, if I have, but I'm still doing it. I've responded to all PMs and am going at it some more. So, please don't panic if I don't respond immediately to your PMs.

Hi all, I PMed my PS to a few folks on the list about 10 days ago and got no replies. I considered spamming the whole list as I imagine some have already done. I feel that posting here may be more efficient and less a waste of peoples' time who are already backed up with requests.

If anyone could take the time to briefly read my PS and give some general comments (even a general impression) that would help me out enormously! Please send me a PM if can do this and are not so busy that you could not get back to me within a week.

PS My grammar and spelling are solid so none of that to worry about.

Thanks in advance to all the readers!

StudyShy | I am a nontraditional student with a background in nursing and am currently halfway through a master's degree in history. I assist regularly in editing nursing papers for coworkers, and I tested out of English in high school. Since I have not applied to medical school yet, only use me if others who have achieved medical school acceptances are unable to take on more personal statements. I will edit for style, content, and grammar. Please tell me if English is not your primary language. Ideally, I want cogently-written personal statements that demonstrate that you have put some thought and time into your efforts. Please expect a 1-2 week turnaround time.

mauberley | Non-trad incoming MS1, EE major, reviewing technical documents for the better part of my 7+ year career in industry. Grammar nazi. Edited a friend's PS for last cycle and she was complimented by an adcom member. | Will edit for content, organization, grammar, and spelling. I won't tell you what to write, but I will ask you what you're trying to tell me and I will in turn let you know if that message is coming through. Expect 1-2 week turnaround from receipt to first comments. Do NOT request a review from me if you are seeking faster turnaround.

I just want to jump in and say THANK YOU to all the amazing people who are volunteering their time to read personal statements.

I don't know what I would have done if this service wasn't offered.

Thanks again! :)

Nah you had a good PS from the start dude!!! It was a pleasure to read and needed very little work, at least by the time I read it. Don't know if u gave rougher drafts to others.

GOOD LUCK TO YOU!! I hope you get in as you seemed like you had a very solid PS and good story that caught my attn. If the rest of your app is solid you will make it. :) :luck:

Nah you had a good PS from the start dude!!! It was a pleasure to read and needed very little work, at least by the time I read it. Don't know if u gave rougher drafts to others.

GOOD LUCK TO YOU!! I hope you get in as you seemed like you had a very solid PS and good story that caught my attn. If the rest of your app is solid you will make it. :) :luck:

Aw thanks GujuDoc. You're too sweet :) Here's to really hoping I get in as well! :xf:

Hey everyone I had a question~~

I wrote an honest PS on why I wanted to be a doctor. It is a complex emotion that draws from different experiences. In the end, however, I almost completely do not mention any of my extracurriculars or my school work.

I know that the guide indicated not to fall into an EC trap, but I was wondering if you found it was better for a PS to incorporate a little information on ECs.

I wrote an honest PS on why I wanted to be a doctor. It is a complex emotion that draws from different experiences. In the end, however, I almost completely do not mention any of my extracurriculars or my school work.

I know that the guide indicated not to fall into an EC trap, but I was wondering if you found it was better for a PS to incorporate a little information on ECs.

I don't have an issue with this.

It doesn't sound bad, but I'd still want to read it to make sure.

Hi everyone,

Wasn't particularly sure where to ask this.

First question, i want to correctly distinguish a family member. My aunt (mom's sister) remarried when i was young, so that would mean her husband is my uncle-in-law?

Moving forwards, when she remarried and my uncle in law was new to the family, He became one of my closer uncles to me. But as I grew older I began to understood he was dealing with depression [around junior high I realized this]. And in high school, he took his life. and its been a driving point since i was younger to keep me going in pursuing scientific and medical research and is one of the stronger reasons for my desire in understanding medicine, neuroscience, and psychology/psychiatry.

I know I want to do neurology/psychiatry and I know for a fact that I want to be involved in research and understanding more about the mind and the brain. And his life and illness is a initiating factor on my evolving interest in the medicine of the mind and brain and research.

And of course it is not the only reason why i love the brain, as I love learning about formation of memories, critical thinking, and so much about the brain -- just a raw love for medicine of neuroscience.
But it would be hard to ignore the fact that his life was one of the early initiating points in my love for neuroscience.

But again, we all know depression/suicide is touchy issue. I've written a draft already. But i've began to think if I should touch on a topic such as this? I don't want admissions committee to think anything bad.

Thoughtful and experienced input is appreciated.

Last edited:
First question, i want to correctly distinguish a family member. My aunt (mom's sister) remarried when i was young, so that would mean her husband is my uncle-in-law?

No, still just an uncle. "Uncle-in-law" means an uncle of your spouse.

Moving forwards, when she remarried and my uncle in law was new to the family, He became one of my closer uncles to me. But as I grew older I began to understood he was dealing with depression [around junior high I realized this]. And in high school, he took his life. and its been a driving point since i was younger to keep me going in pursuing scientific and medical research and is one of the stronger reasons for my desire in understanding medicine, neuroscience, and psychology/psychiatry.

I know I want to do neurology/psychiatry and I know for a fact that I want to be involved in research and understanding more about the mind and the brain. And his life and illness is a initiating factor on my evolving interest in the medicine of the mind and brain and research.

And of course it is not the only reason why i love the brain, as I love learning about formation of memories, critical thinking, and so much about the brain -- just a raw love for medicine of neuroscience.
But it would be hard to ignore the fact that his life was one of the early initiating points in my love for neuroscience.

But again, we all know depression/suicide is touchy issue. I've written a draft already. But i've began to think if I should touch on a topic such as this? I don't want admissions committee to think anything bad.

Thoughtful and experienced input is appreciated.

I wouldn't eliminate it right off the bat. I would suggest drafting a statement including it and then solicit input from others to see whether it works or not.

hey guys,

thanks to a few ppl already on this list my ps is basically finalized. i would like a few more people to read and really scrutinize it, i think its good but i can definitely improve with your help!!

StudyShy | I am a nontraditional student with a background in nursing and am currently halfway through a master's degree in history. I assist regularly in editing nursing papers for coworkers, and I tested out of English in high school. Since I have not applied to medical school yet, only use me if others who have achieved medical school acceptances are unable to take on more personal statements. I will edit for style, content, and grammar. Please tell me if English is not your primary language. Ideally, I want cogently-written personal statements that demonstrate that you have put some thought and time into your efforts. Please expect a 1-2 week turnaround time.

PatineurMD | B.S. Biology. Lots of writing courses in college, including two 20+ page theses. I'll read for grammar and basic content, and provided that I don't get too many responses, I'll do my best to get back to you within 24 hours.

Naveen Nandanan| applying to schools now, worked with the newspaper, can read English
I can help with:
Trimming the fat
Getting over writer's block
Grammar and spelling

Status
Not open for further replies.