*~*~*~*Official Personal Statement Guide and Reader List 2011-2012*~*~*~*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
DO NOT ERASE THESE INSTRUCTIONS!
If you do NOT see someone's name in the most recent post, please do NOT send them a message asking them to read a new PS.
1) Click "quote" on the most recent post.
2) Add your SDN screen name, your credentials, and specific things you are willing to edit for (content only, grammar only, etc). DO NOT post your email address.
3) Delete the quote tags at both the top and the bottom.
4) If you are unable to read any more personal statements, please come back and remove your name from the list.

SimplyMars9 | Incoming MS1, Biology major. I have taken many writing intensive classes (including two honors classes) and I have done very well in all of them. I have edited many essays for family, friends, classmates, etc and so far I have had no complaints, just satisfied customers. I can edit for both content and grammar.

mafunk | Non-trad premed applying in 2012 for 2013 matriculation. 14 years as Marketing/Pr manager. Philosophy degree, summa cum laude. Published (newspapers, not academic). Extensive experience in writing for PR and marketing. | Will read for content/message, but not for grammar or spelling. Will only read for people with a history of contributing/giving to SDN. Please do not contact me if you have few posts, or if your only posts are asking for help but never offering it.

CaptainSSO | Incoming MS-1, 39 MCAT, Phi Beta Kappa. I'm a good writer, but more importantly, I read a TON and can recognize quality writing. | Can help with any aspect of the PS.

kcola | B.S. Biology, wrote/edited 2 manuscripts. | can edit for content and basic grammar. :)

StudyShy | I am a nontraditional student with a background in nursing and am currently halfway through a master's degree in history. I assist regularly in editing nursing papers for coworkers, and I tested out of English in high school. Since I have not applied to medical school yet, only use me if others who have achieved medical school acceptances are unable to take on more personal statements. I will edit for style, content, and grammar. Please tell me if English is not your primary language. Ideally, I want cogently-written personal statements that demonstrate that you have put some thought and time into your efforts. Please expect a 1-2 week turnaround time.

Nope80 | Incoming PGY1 resident. I just graduated from medical school, and would be more than happy to give back in the form of application advice and/or PS edits. | I can edit for content and grammar. Please let me know if there are any specific areas you have questions about. I will try to get back within 24 hours. Good luck everyone!

gujuDoc | I've read hundreds of PSes on these forums in the past. Especially was very active in this arena in both 2006 and 2007 summers when I was last a PS reader. I got an S on my last MCAT. | I will edit for content but don't expect wholesale grammar corrections from me, because I'm probably not best for it. But i can give you direction and ideas of how to approach PS using your experiences and talents to create a theme and content direction to give it structure.

But in making it sound pretty by rewording things I may not be so helpful. But can definitely help give content direction and help give ideas of how you can approach things to create a unifying theme and tell you if you are on the right track. That's where I work best

Please DO NOT send Visitor messages. I WILL delete them.

If you want my help send a PM request only.

Secondly, I'm not going to be working with DO apps. My familiarity and comfort is working with AMCAS apps as that is what i know better. So if you want a reader for DO only apps it is my belief you are better suited to finding someone else. If you are looking for caribbean island apps the same deal goes. please request someone else.

lastly, i'm sorry if I upset some with this but I prefer to work with what I know and as I'm already getting loads of requests before I've completed all the ones I've already had its better I just stick to what I know

Kaustikos | Incoming MS1, Pharmacology M.S., I've read Personal Statements from both Med School/Grad School, edited numerous journals/manuscripts.| Will edit for grammar/sentence structure as well as content. - BACK IN THE GAME

ucladoc2b | Incoming MS1, Political Science BA, Non Trad, 5 years work experience as a management consultant. Will edit for grammar/sentence structure as well as content. Will try to give you some solid feedback for this very key piece of a very frusterating process.

LaFleur | Non-traditional student applying in 2012 at the earliest. BS in Biology-Psychology. Was Editor In Chief of high school newspaper, copy editor for a semester of college newspaper. Haven't taken the MCAT yet, did very well on all the English focused standardized exams in high school, and subsequently tested out of any writing requirements at my college, but for the first two years I was an international affairs major, so I've taken a variety of writing-intensive classes. Have experience editing manuscripts, papers, chapters of books because my parents are not native English speaking professionals. Let me know what you want me to look for (content, spelling/grammar, flow, etc.) and I will try to help you out.

mauberley | Non-trad incoming MS1, EE major, reviewing technical documents for the better part of my 7+ year career in industry. Grammar nazi. Edited a friend's PS for last cycle and she was complimented by an adcom member. | Will edit for content, organization, grammar, and spelling. I won't tell you what to write, but I will ask you what you're trying to tell me and I will in turn let you know if that message is coming through. Expect 1-2 week turnaround from receipt to first comments. Do NOT request a review from me if you are seeking faster turnaround.

PatineurMD | B.S. Biology. Lots of writing courses in college, including two 20+ page theses. I'll read for grammar and basic content, and provided that I don't get too many responses, I'll do my best to get back to you within 24 hours.

Naveen Nandanan| applying to schools now, worked with the newspaper, can read English
I can help with:
Trimming the fat
Getting over writer's block
Grammar and spelling

Members don't see this ad.

If you do NOT see someone's name in the most recent post, please do NOT send them a message asking them to read a new PS.
2) Add your SDN screen name, your credentials, and specific things you are willing to edit for (content only, grammar only, etc). DO NOT post your email address.
4) If you are unable to read any more personal statements, please come back and remove your name from the list.

SimplyMars9 | Incoming MS1, Biology major. I have taken many writing intensive classes (including two honors classes) and I have done very well in all of them. I have edited many essays for family, friends, classmates, etc and so far I have had no complaints, just satisfied customers. I can edit for both content and grammar.

mafunk | Non-trad premed applying in 2012 for 2013 matriculation. 14 years as Marketing/Pr manager. Philosophy degree, summa cum laude. Published (newspapers, not academic). Extensive experience in writing for PR and marketing. | Will read for content/message, but not for grammar or spelling. Will only read for people with a history of contributing/giving to SDN. Please do not contact me if you have few posts, or if your only posts are asking for help but never offering it.

CaptainSSO | Incoming MS-1, 39 MCAT, Phi Beta Kappa. I'm a good writer, but more importantly, I read a TON and can recognize quality writing. | Can help with any aspect of the PS.

kcola | B.S. Biology, wrote/edited 2 manuscripts. | can edit for content and basic grammar. :)

StudyShy | I am a nontraditional student with a background in nursing and am currently halfway through a master's degree in history. I assist regularly in editing nursing papers for coworkers, and I tested out of English in high school. Since I have not applied to medical school yet, only use me if others who have achieved medical school acceptances are unable to take on more personal statements. I will edit for style, content, and grammar. Please tell me if English is not your primary language. Ideally, I want cogently-written personal statements that demonstrate that you have put some thought and time into your efforts. Please expect a 1-2 week turnaround time.

Nope80 | Incoming PGY1 resident. I just graduated from medical school, and would be more than happy to give back in the form of application advice and/or PS edits. | I can edit for content and grammar. Please let me know if there are any specific areas you have questions about. I will try to get back within 24 hours. Good luck everyone!

gujuDoc | I've read hundreds of PSes on these forums in the past. Especially was very active in this arena in both 2006 and 2007 summers when I was last a PS reader. I got an S on my last MCAT. | I will edit for content but don't expect wholesale grammar corrections from me, because I'm probably not best for it. But i can give you direction and ideas of how to approach PS using your experiences and talents to create a theme and content direction to give it structure.

But in making it sound pretty by rewording things I may not be so helpful. But can definitely help give content direction and help give ideas of how you can approach things to create a unifying theme and tell you if you are on the right track. That's where I work best

Secondly, I'm not going to be working with DO apps. My familiarity and comfort is working with AMCAS apps as that is what i know better. So if you want a reader for DO only apps it is my belief you are better suited to finding someone else. If you are looking for caribbean island apps the same deal goes. please request someone else.

lastly, i'm sorry if I upset some with this but I prefer to work with what I know and as I'm already getting loads of requests before I've completed all the ones I've already had its better I just stick to what I know

Kaustikos | Incoming MS1, Pharmacology M.S., I've read Personal Statements from both Med School/Grad School, edited numerous journals/manuscripts.| Will edit for grammar/sentence structure as well as content. - BACK IN THE GAME

ucladoc2b | Incoming MS1, Political Science BA, Non Trad, 5 years work experience as a management consultant. Will edit for grammar/sentence structure as well as content. Will try to give you some solid feedback for this very key piece of a very frusterating process.

LaFleur | Non-traditional student applying in 2012 at the earliest. BS in Biology-Psychology. Was Editor In Chief of high school newspaper, copy editor for a semester of college newspaper. Haven't taken the MCAT yet, did very well on all the English focused standardized exams in high school, and subsequently tested out of any writing requirements at my college, but for the first two years I was an international affairs major, so I've taken a variety of writing-intensive classes. Have experience editing manuscripts, papers, chapters of books because my parents are not native English speaking professionals. Let me know what you want me to look for (content, spelling/grammar, flow, etc.) and I will try to help you out.

mauberley | Non-trad incoming MS1, EE major, reviewing technical documents for the better part of my 7+ year career in industry. Grammar nazi. Edited a friend's PS for last cycle and she was complimented by an adcom member. | Will edit for content, organization, grammar, and spelling. I won't tell you what to write, but I will ask you what you're trying to tell me and I will in turn let you know if that message is coming through. Expect 1-2 week turnaround from receipt to first comments. Do NOT request a review from me if you are seeking faster turnaround.

PatineurMD | B.S. Biology. Lots of writing courses in college, including two 20+ page theses. I'll read for grammar and basic content, and provided that I don't get too many responses, I'll do my best to get back to you within 24 hours.

Naveen Nandanan | applying to schools now, worked with the newspaper, can read English | I can help with: trimming the fat, getting over writer's block, grammar and spelling

Naveen Nandanan | applying to schools now, worked with the newspaper, can read English | I can help with: trimming the fat, getting over writer's block, grammar and spelling.

cowsgomuon Applying to schools now. Since I'm in the gap between submitting the primary and receiving secondaries, I thought I'd help out with personal statements. :D I am a good writer, but I also read a LOT, which is a great help for recognizing good sections of personal statements and restructuring awkward/confusing sections. I received a 15 on the Verbal section of my MCAT, and I can help with content, organization, flow, and grammar/spelling. I'll be able to get back to you within 24 hours.

Members don't see this ad :)
DO NOT ERASE THESE INSTRUCTIONS!.

Naveen Nandanan | applying to schools now, worked with the newspaper, can read English | I can help with: trimming the fat, getting over writer's block, grammar and spelling.

cowsgomuon Applying to schools now. Since I'm in the gap between submitting the primary and receiving secondaries, I thought I'd help out with personal statements. :D I am a good writer, but I also read a LOT, which is a great help for recognizing good sections of personal statements and restructuring awkward/confusing sections. I received a 15 on the Verbal section of my MCAT, and I can help with content, organization, flow, and grammar/spelling. I'll be able to get back to you within 24 hours. Please DO NOT send me Visitor messages! I am only accepting requests via PM.

I don't know how many times I have to post this, but PLEASE don't keep sending me personal statements. I took myself off the list several weeks ago for a reason, and it's really starting to bother me that people aren't following directions and still inundating me with requests/demands. I AM NO LONGER TAKING PERSONAL STATEMENTS. DO NOT SEND THEM.

Kaustikos | Incoming MS1, Pharmacology M.S., I've read Personal Statements from both Med School/Grad School, edited numerous journals/manuscripts.| Will edit for grammar/sentence structure as well as content. - Expect 1-2 week turnaround from receipt to first comments. Do NOT request a review from me if you are seeking faster turnaround.

cowsgomuon Applying to schools now. Since I'm in the gap between submitting the primary and receiving secondaries, I thought I'd help out with personal statements. :D I am a good writer, but I also read a LOT, which is a great help for recognizing good sections of personal statements and restructuring awkward/confusing sections. I received a 15 on the Verbal section of my MCAT, and I can help with content, organization, flow, and grammar/spelling. I'll be able to get back to you within 24 hours. Please DO NOT send me Visitor messages! I am only accepting requests via PM.

Kaustikos | Incoming MS1, Pharmacology M.S., I've read Personal Statements from both Med School/Grad School, edited numerous journals/manuscripts.| Will edit for grammar/sentence structure as well as content. - Expect 1-2 week turnaround from receipt to first comments. Do NOT request a review from me if you are seeking faster turnaround.

[urlself=xxx]wavves[/urlself] | Bio/French major. Three years as writer and editor for campus magazine, two years as English tutor, and ten years as librarian (so I read...a lot) | Will help with grammar, spelling, content, and flow/transitions. PM me what you want me to focus on along with a band you think I should check out (I need a new summertime playlist).

[urlself=xxx]wavves[/urlself] | Bio/French major. Three years as writer and editor for campus magazine, two years as English tutor, and ten years as librarian (so I read...a lot) | Will help with grammar, spelling, content, and flow/transitions. PM me what you want me to focus on along with a band you think I should check out (I need a new summertime playlist).

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I have pm-ed a few of you guys already. I just wanted to give a shout out on here before it is too late. I completely understand you guys are super busy with your own lives and then all this proofreading on top. I know I have kind of put this part off until the last minute :(, but I have already done several drafts over the last three months with my family and myself. If any of you can read my PS and edit for content, flow, and mostly grammer before Tuesday (6/28) then I would extremely appreciate it if you would PM me. If you can't then I understand but if you get an oppurtunity then I would be enormously grateful!:)

And if you just despise me for being so erroneously late in the process to ask then I understand that too. Thanks anyway though

I know this thread is intended for personal statements, but I was wondering if anyone would be willing to read one of my secondary essays - the one about what diversity I would bring to a school. It's fairly unique/personal, and I intend to reuse it in many of my secondaries, so I would appreciate another perspective. Also it's only 250 words! Thanks so much.

I am looking for a quick turnaround review. I just need help with grammar oversights and 280 chars to be carefully sliced off this piece. If anyone is willing to make this happen I would very much appreciate it. Sorry if this sounds a little boorish. As compensation I will add my name to the reader list.

Last edited:

wavves | Bio/French major. Three years as writer and editor for campus magazine, two years as English tutor, and ten years as librarian (so I read...a lot) | Will help with grammar, spelling, content, and flow/transitions. PM me what you want me to focus on along with a band you think I should check out (I need a new summertime playlist).

why does clicking my name redirect people to porn sites? brb changing
lol, whut? :laugh:

Disinence2
| PGY-1 EM Resident . Was paid to read personal statements for my medical school's admission department. Have read hundreds and have no problem rating your PS. Fast turn around time! Will mostly correct for content. Please just PM me your personal statement and I will get back to you ASAP. No need to ask me first!

Lil Mick
| Honors humanities student in college, Phi Beta Kappa, >95% MCAT writing & GRE analytical writing, wrote for my school paper/published in literary journals, tutored college students in introductory/writing classes, volunteered with my college's personal statement writing course, pre-med mentoring program during medical school, annoying person who always corrects others' grammar, and helpful person who edits my friends' college humanities papers.. | Content and grammar; willing to help with other essays required by AMCAS for MD/PhD applicants (research and MD/PhD essays)

2050vlsb | Incoming MS1, social science double major (lots of essays/writing), "T" on MCAT writing sample, 5 on AP Eng Lang, Lit, edited essays for friends applying to MD, MPH, DDS programs, strong writer | Content and grammar (let me know what you're looking for!)
Currently swamped with quite a few PS'es, so I can't accept any more for the moment ... will update once I catch up on the ones I have!

dragon529 | Incoming MS1, Bio major, edited for friends who applied to MD programs, used this service when I applied so I'm just trying to give back my share | will edit mainly for content and flow

BullDog4Eva | Incoming MS1, Bio major, had my PS proofread by many people and did my fair share of editing others. I realized I enjoy very much tightening up paragraphs and making them sound stronger. I can edit for content, grammar, and/or style. Make sure you let me know as I will get the essay back much sooner if I only have to focus on one.

mauberley | Non-trad incoming MS1, EE major, reviewing technical documents for the better part of my 7+ year career in industry. Grammar nazi. Edited a friend's PS for last cycle and she was complimented by an adcom member. | Will edit for content, organization, grammar, and spelling. I won't tell you what to write, but I will ask you what you're trying to tell me and I will in turn let you know if that message is coming through. Expect 1-2 week turnaround from receipt to first comments.

karayraisu | Incoming MS1, double major in science and humanities, 13S on verbal+writing, 5 on AP Eng Lit, keeps a fairly popular online blog =p | Will edit only for content - my grammar is actually not the best, but I have a pretty good eye in reading for voice, structure, and message. You can always start with me and then move on to a grammar-oriented person once you're happy with the structure of your PS. Please allow one week for responses, so no rush orders (or use me as a second/third/fourth/nth opinion).

tlaloc87 | Incoming MS1, 2 years out of undergrad; English/Comp Lit major [yes, jocks read/write too.]; former columnist for college paper; favorite book is "Elements of Style"; several interviewers commented on my PS--take that as you will | Will edit for grammar, style, voice, conciseness, etc. with pretty quick (~2 day) turnaround.
No longer accepting wholesale content edits. Feel free to use me to polish a well constructed PS.

painmd87 | Incoming MS1 with 2 years healthcare clinical experience. Dual journalism/biology major, correspondent for multiple major metropolitan newspapers | Will advise on content, grammar, conciseness (get to the point!) and especially opening grafs. Can turn it around quickly. .doc .doc .doc! That little x at the end kills me.

Nwilkes | Incoming MS1, Chem/Bio double major. I was a student journalist for my college newspaper and was the editor in chief of my high school newspaper. I have some very non-trad job and living experience, although I am a traditional applicant. | Will edit for grammar, flow, content, and whatever you prefer - but you must tell me first. The faint of heart may not want to apply.

taylormade2006 | Incoming non-trad MS1 pursuing a second career in medicine, although my prior work experience was in a medically related field. Multiple bio related degrees. | Willing to help edit content and flow. I do not recommend myself for grammar checking. I am direct and to the point. I can accept almost all formats, including mac .pages documents. Please don't send pdf because I can't easily edit the text on a pdf.

glasshalfMD | Incoming MS1 (S on writing section of MCAT); non-trad (two years clinical research between undergrad and medical school matriculation - including publications); degree in psychology with a second major in Spanish | Willing to edit grammar, sentence structure, word choice, flow, etc. - please specify. I generally have some time during the work day, but turnaround time of 1+ weeks should be expected.

DancingThruLife | Incoming MS1, non-trad (research in between), went to a top 3 liberal arts college (lots of writing) | Willing to edit for some gross errors in grammar, but mainly will give feedback on tone, content, flow. If there is something that I am not understanding/is not clear, I will let you know. If you have a section in your PS that you are committed to and that talks about being a URM/extenuating circumstances/being disadvantaged/LGBT, etc., I can help with making it sound neutral and not whiny/controversial. 7-10 days for turn-around. Can only commit to having a max. of 5 on my plate at a time.

Unable to edit any more PSs for the time being. Will update when I get a chance to read some more. :luck:

mafunk | Non-trad premed applying in 2012 for 2013 matriculation. 14 years as Marketing/Pr manager. Philosophy degree, summa cum laude. Published (newspapers, not academic). Extensive experience in writing for PR and marketing. | Will read for content/message, but not for grammar or spelling.

Asyouwereatrio | Incoming MS-1. Received my degree in Bio Sci. | I will holistically read for content--looking specifically for a "good reason" (unique) to enter medicine. Will also read for grammar mistakes. Let me know what you want me to look for via PM. You can embed the PS in the text or email me an attachment. PM for details. Will take several days (5-7) to read/return.

CaptainSSO | Incoming MS-1, 39 MCAT, Phi Betta Kappa. I'm a good writer, but more importantly, I read a TON and can recognize quality writing. | Can help with any aspect of the PS.

MSFbound | Incoming MS1, Political Science major at an Ivy + got an A+ on my 60 pg senior thesis (lots of writing!!), got 11 interview invites with pretty average stats (33Q, 3.6/3.4) but many of my interviewers commented on my PS, wrote for high school newspaper | will edit for content, flow, grammer, etc...just let me know. Now that the app cycle is over, I've got some time on my hands...especially have experience in topics surrounding international health

ComradeDino | Incoming MS-1, Bio/Chem Double major, Summa Cum Laude, published thesis and working on research publication, will edit for any aspect of PS.

Kaustikos | Incoming MS1, Pharmacology M.S., I've read Personal Statements from both Med School/Grad School, edited numerous journals/manuscripts.| Will edit for grammar/sentence structure as well as content.

acb88 | Incoming MS1, Biology Major, I have a lot of research and international experiences, I have dont a lot of editing in the past and I enjoy it. | Will edit for content and grammar, and style.

medzealot | I’ve read a lot of personal statements. My strengths as an editor are:
  • Helping you get under 5300 characters
  • Telling you the truth about whether or not your personal statement is heinous
  • Relentlessly castrating your dangling prepositions
  • Correcting other, more important grammatical problems
  • Improving flow
My qualifications:
  • My high school English teachers were outrageously good.
  • I have a fair amount of editing experience.
  • I have scored in the eleventy-billionth percentile on all standardized English/Verbal/AP Composition tests and subtests, except for the English portion of the CAT test in second grade, on which I scored in the paltry 99th percentile. I’m pretty sure the scantron machine that graded my test was a communist.
  • I’m old. Old people should have their essays read by other old people.
My requests are simple. Tell me how you want me to help you improve your essay (grammar, content, flow, etc.). Along with your PS, send me a couple of sentences describing who you are as a person, and what message you want to send adcoms through your PS. If you have no (or low) post count on sdn, I will scrutinize this information, but as long as you seem like you are using this service in a legitimate fashion, I will read for you. If your writing is so bad that I put your PS in Google Translator and it spits out something like “I found a Taco Bell wrapper in my underwear drawer,” I will not read for you. If English is not your first language, tell me that upfront so I don’t think you’re screwing with me.

wavves | Bio/French major. Three years as writer and editor for campus magazine, two years as English tutor, and ten years as librarian (so I read...a lot) | Will help with grammar, spelling, content, and flow/transitions. PM me what you want me to focus on along with a band you think I should check out (I need a new summertime playlist).

Disinence2 | PGY-1 EM Resident . Was paid to read personal statements for my medical school's admission department. Have read hundreds and have no problem rating your PS. Fast turn around time! Will mostly correct for content. Please just PM me your personal statement and I will get back to you ASAP. No need to ask me first!

Disinence2 | PGY-1 EM Resident . Was paid to read personal statements for my medical school's admission department. Have read hundreds and have no problem rating your PS. Will mostly correct for content. My AIM sn is the same as my SDN name. Just IM me your personal statement if I am online. I received over 100 PS's so my inbox is full, and I will never have time to read them all. Thanks!

Disinence2 | PGY-1 EM Resident . Was paid to read personal statements for my medical school's admission department. Have read hundreds and have no problem rating your PS. Will mostly correct for content. My AIM sn is the same as my SDN name. Just IM me your personal statement if I am online. I received over 100 PS's so my inbox is full, and I will never have time to read them all. Thanks!

I'll take Mauberley's until he is back in the game. :)

Go PS readers! :thumbup: :)

Could anyone review my personal statement for me? I am looking for mostly review on content and flow. Ive already messaged alot of people on the reader list, was wondering if I could rustle up any out of the woodwork. Thanks!

nysw | Biochem major, Medicine and Society minor. Applying in the 2011-2012 cycle (submitted application in June). I've tutored English for three years, revised countless essays, and written for about two years for fun and for my minor classes. | I can help with grammar, flow, spelling, content. PM me your statement and email and I'll send it back within 24 hours.. realistically, within one hour if you're sending it during the day (9AM - 5PM CST).

StudyShy | I am a nontraditional student with a background in nursing and am currently halfway through a master's degree in history. I assist regularly in editing nursing papers for coworkers, and I tested out of English in high school. Since I have not applied to medical school yet, only use me if others who have achieved medical school acceptances are unable to take on more personal statements. I will edit for style, content, and grammar. Please tell me if English is not your primary language. Ideally, I want cogently-written personal statements that demonstrate that you have put some thought and time into your efforts. I will also read secondary essays. So far, I have assisted in about 100 personal statements. Please expect a 1-2 week turnaround time.

nysw | Biochem major, Medicine and Society minor. Applying in the 2011-2012 cycle (submitted application in June). I've tutored English for three years, revised countless essays, and written for about two years for fun and for my minor classes. | I can help with grammar, flow, spelling, content. PM me your statement and email and I'll send it back within 24 hours.. realistically, within one hour if you're sending it during the day (9AM - 5PM CST).

StudyShy | I am a nontraditional student with a background in nursing and am currently halfway through a master's degree in history. I assist regularly in editing nursing papers for coworkers, and I tested out of English in high school. Since I have not applied to medical school yet, only use me if others who have achieved medical school acceptances are unable to take on more personal statements. I will edit for style, content, and grammar. Please tell me if English is not your primary language. Ideally, I want cogently-written personal statements that demonstrate that you have put some thought and time into your efforts. I will also read secondary essays. So far, I have assisted in about 100 personal statements. Please expect a 1-2 week turnaround time.

Whatyousay | Engineering / Humanities double major. Applying this cycle (2011-2012). I will generally read for content only, but I can edit for grammar/style on personal statements that are close to completion. At this point in time, I think my credentials should be less of a concern than getting your AMCAS submitted at a reasonable date.

Whatyousay | Engineering / Humanities double major. Applying this cycle (2011-2012). I will generally read for content only, but I can edit for grammar/style on personal statements that are close to completion. At this point in time, I think my credentials should be less of a concern than getting your AMCAS submitted at a reasonable date.

kautionwirez | Biochemistry Major. Applied in June this cycle (2011-2012). I will read for content and obvious grammatical errors. I will generally send you feedback within a day or less. PM me your statement and what area you would like me to focus on. I will give you my honest opinion about your personal statement.

Nebraska32: MSIV, Emergency Medicine applicant, wanting suggestions on content for PS

Last edited:

kautionwirez | Biochemistry Major. Applied in June this cycle (2011-2012). I will read for content and obvious grammatical errors. PM me your statement and what area you would like me to focus on. I will give you my honest opinion about your personal statement. I will give you feedback within a week turnaround

Hey guys,

Would anyone please, please be willing to give me some advice on my personal statement? I am obviously super late in my application and I am sort of freaking out, haha. I would like to finish my app by this weekend, but I am in great need of some advice (mainly content-related and somewhat about "flow") regarding my personal statement.

I truly appreciate any help that you can provide! If anyone is in need of any assistance with their PS, let me know and I would be happy to provide what help I can (and maybe we can even swap PSs).

Thanks so much for any and all help!!

Last edited:
Hey again!

Sorry to bump, but I just need a bit of help if a few people do not mind! I believe that I am all done editing my PS for content (thanks so much to nysw and Beekachu for your help!!!) but I would greatly appreciate a few more readers to go over my final version for grammar, spelling, and maybe even "flow." If there are any glaring mistakes that you see in content, please feel free to critique that as well! Just PM or post and I will send the PS to you.

Thanks a ton for any and all help!

kautionwirez | Biochemistry Major. Applied in June this cycle (2011-2012). I will read for content and obvious grammatical errors. PM me your statement and what area you would like me to focus on. I will give you my honest opinion about your personal statement. I will give you feedback within a week turnaround

MedadcomMD |Currently a physician (MD) on maternity leave. Served on the adcom at Temple for 4 years at varying capacities. Will work on higher-order themes on the essay.

Could someone please read my PS on a disability I have?
I think it it might be an interesting read for some.

Much appreciated!!

Last edited:
BUMP!

Does anyone know if that list of PS readers is updated?

somebody please critique my PS i'm turning that in in 2 days. =( :(

Can anyone review my personal statement? I hoping to submit my application by Tuesday or Wednesday at the latest.

Thanks in advance.

MedadcomMD |Currently a physician (MD) on maternity leave. Served on the adcom at Temple for 4 years at varying capacities. Will work on higher-order themes on the essay.

Would any of you guys be willing to volunteer and read/critique a P.S. and essay for summer research Programs?

I am willing to read your PS and summer research Programs. PM me.

I remember seeing an amazing podcast on personal statement writing by the dean? of the University of Washington. Does anyone have the link at hand? Thanks guys. :oops:

I just wrote a first draft of a statement and I have no idea if I'm completely off base. I don't want to waste time editing if it's better off being scrapped. My statement focuses on personal growth and how I overcame personality weaknesses that would have hindered my ability to be an effective physician. It's basically a personal character study. Its focus is much less on answering "why do you want to be a doctor" directly.

Do you think it's worth continuing to work with?

I just wrote a first draft of a statement and I have no idea if I'm completely off base. I don't want to waste time editing if it's better off being scrapped. My statement focuses on personal growth and how I overcame personality weaknesses that would have hindered my ability to be an effective physician. It's basically a personal character study. Its focus is much less on answering "why do you want to be a doctor" directly.

Do you think it's worth continuing to work with?

Without having read your draft, I would advise giving more weight to "why medicine?" You can work in your character study within the context of that narrative, rather than it being the focus.

Tantacles - Re-applicant. Strengths: Recognizing cliches, complex grammar fixes, re-wording. I'm also a good person to come to if you're wondering if you sound like a jerk in your personal statement. I am a jerk, so I know how we sound and how to give you concrete advice on how to fix it. I err on the side of brevity, and I'm known for my habit of excising entire paragraphs from personal statements.

Send me PSes by PM, and please indicate Native English Speaker (NES) or Second Language Learner (SLL).

Last edited:
We should start a thread for this application year. I'm already starting to get requests.

Status
Not open for further replies.