*~*~*~*Official Personal Statement Guide and Reader List 2012-2013*~*~*~*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MedPR

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
This thread is for this year's applicants (for the class of 2017) who are beginning to work on their personal statements. If you're looking for someone to read your PS, check out the list of volunteers below In the most recent post ONLY!!

If you need help getting started, check out the second post in this thread.

If you are willing to volunteer, the thread will be self regulated this year. Respond below, following the instructions at the end of this post (and in the third post), with your credentials and specific things you are willing to edit for (content only, grammar only, etc). Please read the full list of rules posted below before you volunteer or contact a reader, and good luck to the 2012 applicants. :thumbup:

Specific comments, questions, or complaints can be addressed to me via PM. If I can't answer them they will be forwarded to the rest of the Pre-Allopathic moderator staff.

Rules for Writers:

• Please refer to the list in the LAST post only. Do not contact anyone who is found elsewhere in this thread but does not appear in the list at the end.
  • Use caution in deciding who you send your personal statement to. In an anonymous web forum, information can be easily plagiarized.
  • This is not the place for you to get others to write your personal statement. If you need help getting started, check out the Official Personal Statement Guide thread and Depakote's Personal Statement Guide/Tips.
  • If you are looking for feedback on your personal statement, it is better to PM individual users here whose strengths are better suited to your needs rather than posting a response in this thread.
  • Once you contact a reader and they agree to read your personal statement, please email it to them as a Word document with your SDN username in the title. Including your SDN username makes it easier for the readers to keep track of who they've already read for and who they still need to read. DO NOT JUST PM YOUR STATEMENT TO A READER.
Rules for Readers:

• If you would like to be added or deleted from the list, please make sure that you follow the directions below, and add or delete yourself.
  • As a volunteer, you may read as many or as few personal statements as you'd like or have time for. If you will be unavailable for a certain time or have been inundated with requests, simply take yourself off of the list using the instructions below
  • If you receive a request and are unable to fulfill it, please respond to the writer so he/she is not waiting for a response and can request help from elsewhere.
  • For your protection, we will not allow you to post your email addresses here. All email addresses will be edited out of the list and any further posts containing email addresses will be edited to remove them. Writers will contact you via PM and you can exchange email addresses privately.
  • As this is on a volunteer basis, absolutely NO solicitation of money for your services will be tolerated. Volunteers who violate this policy will be removed from the list and subject to further disciplinary action.
This thread is brought to you by the Pre-Allopathic Volunteer Staff ****

Please remember that these people are volunteering their time. Be nice to them!

DO NOT ERASE THESE INSTRUCTIONS!
1) Click "quote" on the most recent post.
2) Add your SDN screen name, your credentials, and specific things you are willing to edit for (content only, grammar only, etc). DO NOT post your email address.
3) Delete the quote tags at both the top and the bottom.
4) If you are unable to read any more personal statements, please come back and remove your name from the list.

EXAMPLES:
BobTheReader| M.A. In English, PhD in Creative Writing|Willing to edit for grammar and content

JoeTheReader|Got amazing feedback on my PS when I applied; non-trad especially willing to read non-trad PS| Willing to edit for content only.

JillTheReader|Student Adcom Member; 2nd Year Med Student|Happy to read PS and help with ideas. Will do some reading for content.

****Copied from the pre-allo forums.

Members don't see this ad.

Bump!!! Volunteers please sign up! I am an applicant this cycle, and would like my PS read, though I am willing to read other people's PS...can I sign up as an official volunteer?

ManBroDude : accepted non-trad willing to look at other non-trads' personal statements for content (not grammar). PM me your PS, turnaround 3 days. NOT ACCEPTING ANY NEW SUBMISSIONS. I am a little behind and need to catch up.

2) Add your SDN screen name, your credentials, and specific things you are willing to edit for (content only, grammar only, etc). DO NOT post your email address.
4) If you are unable to read any more personal statements, please come back and remove your name from the list.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
ManBroDude : accepted non-trad willing to look at other non-trads' personal statements for content (not grammar). PM me your PS, turnaround 3 days.

dntke1518: Accepted re-applicant with multiple interview invites 2nd cycle. Will edit for content and some grammar. I hope to have a turnaround of 3 business days, please send your PS via PM.

ManBroDude : accepted non-trad willing to look at other non-trads' personal statements for content (not grammar). PM me your PS, turnaround 3 days.

dntke1518: Accepted re-applicant with multiple interview invites 2nd cycle. Will edit for content and some grammar. I hope to have a turnaround of 3 business days, please send your PS via PM. Any new submissions as of 5/21 will probably be done around 5/29 due to a busy Memorial Day weekend.

Hello,
I would like some guidance on my personal statement how can I contact you?

Hi! One of the professors who is writing me a LOR has asked for my personal statement so I really need to get this out to him. I was supposed to do this a week ago. However, I am only going to finish my first draft tonight and don't have time to wait for my advisors to get back to me with their feedback. I was wondering if anyone here can just read it and get back to me some time by Monday or even sooner? I know it's a lot of ask, but I just want to know if it makes sense overall and if it's good enough for a professor to read at this point. Please let me know, thanks.

dntke1518: Accepted re-applicant with multiple interview invites 2nd cycle. Will edit for content and some grammar. I hope to have a turnaround of 3 business days, please send your PS via PM. NOT ACCEPTING ANY NEW SUBMISSIONS. I am a little behind and need to catch up.

ManBroDude : accepted non-trad willing to look at other non-trads' personal statements for content (not grammar). PM me your PS, turnaround 3 days. NOT ACCEPTING ANY NEW SUBMISSIONS. I am a little behind and need to catch up.

dntke1518: Accepted re-applicant with multiple interview invites 2nd cycle. Will edit for content and some grammar. I hope to have a turnaround of 3 business days, please send your PS via PM. NOT ACCEPTING ANY NEW SUBMISSIONS. I am a little behind and need to catch up.

I can read for content, not for grammar so much...

I don't have much of a life, soooo....
Anyway, I can help people out... PM me...

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm trying to re-write my PS with suggestions I have received from a few readers. But man... how do you guys make your PS like a story and tie everything together? I mean, I have a couple experiences that I want to include in my PS that show some of the important qualities of me and who I am.

The outline of my PS is: 1. Where consideration for medicine stemmed from. 2. My hospital volunteer experience and what I learned. 3. Experiences with a university club and explaining that what I seen has given me appreciation for what I have and a drive to contribute to the community. 4. A family medical issue that I discussed and basically said it has driven me to pursue medicine and changed me as a person. 5. A basic conclusion..

How do I make something like this in a story? Sorry if this is too broad of a question, but..i'm...stuck...

Is there anyone that can help me with my Personal Statement. I am a horrible writer and I'm having trouble getting my thoughts on paper. Please PM me.

Are there any proof readers who can help me? Please PM me!! Thank you!

ditto. Please PM me if your editing services are available.

Can anyone help me with my Personal Statement? I know it can be much better and I don't want to send it in before it is. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks :)

ManBroDude: accepted non-trad willing to look at other non-trads' personal statements for content (not grammar). PM me your PS, turnaround 3 days. NOT ACCEPTING ANY NEW SUBMISSIONS. I am a little behind and need to catch up.

CopToEM: Class of 2016 non-traditional student. PM me and I will send you my e-mail to forward your PS to. As I will edit your PS for grammar and content, you must have MS Word so I can use the comment feature within. I'm also willing to provide a copy of my successful PS if you need motivation, etc.

I'm trying to re-write my PS with suggestions I have received from a few readers. But man... how do you guys make your PS like a story and tie everything together? I mean, I have a couple experiences that I want to include in my PS that show some of the important qualities of me and who I am.

The outline of my PS is: 1. Where consideration for medicine stemmed from. 2. My hospital volunteer experience and what I learned. 3. Experiences with a university club and explaining that what I seen has given me appreciation for what I have and a drive to contribute to the community. 4. A family medical issue that I discussed and basically said it has driven me to pursue medicine and changed me as a person. 5. A basic conclusion..

How do I make something like this in a story? Sorry if this is too broad of a question, but..i'm...stuck...

You know what's weird.... I never understood the story idea. My personal statement has nothing to do with a story. It's just paragraphs about different experiences I've had that have given me qualities/surfaced my passion for science/medicine. My outline went something like this:

1. Intro
2. Leadership experience and what it means to me.
3. Community service experience and what it means to me.
4. Tutoring/teaching and what it means to me.
5. Shadowing/clinical experience and what it means to me.
6. Philosophy and what it means to me.
7. Conclusion.

Something like that. I can send you mine if you want to take a look. My advice is to work on the intro towards the end. Just open up a word document, and start typing one section of your outline at a time. Just play around with it. You can connect each part later on.

Mine isn't so much a story but is in chronological order. Along the way, I shared experiences that made me into the applicant that I was. Thus, at the end, the reader is brought full circle to the point where my application is on their desk. None of this, "On a dark starry night..." stuff.

Let me know if you want a copy, happy to share it if it will help you in any way.

ManBroDude: accepted non-trad willing to look at other non-trads' personal statements for content (not grammar). PM me your PS, turnaround 3 days. NOT ACCEPTING ANY NEW SUBMISSIONS. I am a little behind and need to catch up.

CopToEM: Class of 2016 non-traditional student. PM me and I will send you my e-mail to forward your PS to. As I will edit your PS for grammar and content, you must have MS Word so I can use the comment feature within. I'm also willing to provide a copy of my successful PS if you need motivation, etc. NOT ACCEPTING ANY NEW SUBMISSIONS AT THIS TIME. Any PMs sent until I remove this notice will be deleted. I received 12 requests today.

^ Just want to add that the 12 that sent their PS to CopToEM will not be disappointed. He is an absolute powerhouse when it comes to reading/correcting and helping edit PSs. He graciously looked over mine, commenting extensively on what I could change, what was fine, how to describe something better, etc etc, and I am 100% confident with it now.

12 requests in one day lol

bumping with the meek hope that more people sign up

I'm getting caught up. Hopefully by the weekend I can take some more so keep your eye on this thread. I don't want to start a waiting list - that's too much like work. :rolleyes:

I'm getting caught up. Hopefully by the weekend I can take some more so keep your eye on this thread. I don't want to start a waiting list - that's too much like work. :rolleyes:

I'll keep an eye out too :)

Ha!, I will definitely keep an eye open as well.

*Nontrad here , can read PS for content and "flow" :)

CopToEM: Class of 2016 non-traditional student. PM me and I will send you my e-mail to forward your PS to. As I will edit your PS for grammar and content, you must have MS Word so I can use the comment feature within. I'm also willing to provide a copy of my successful PS if you need motivation, etc. NOT ACCEPTING ANY NEW SUBMISSIONS AT THIS TIME. Any PMs sent until I remove this notice will be deleted. I received 12 requests today.

would you still be willing to PM your PS? :)

Yeah I'm ready to send out my essay, but I could really use a quick skim for content to anyone that wants to help out. It'd be much appreciated :)

Please remember to look at the final post only. I've been getting a ton of requests and I am not even on the list. I am not reading PS at this time.

anyone accepting PS? If so, please send me a PM and I can send you my PS.
Thanks!

I have a rough draft as well. Would love for someone to take a quick read to determine if it is worthwhile to develop/polish it further or scrap it and start anew. Anyone with a wee bit of time, please pm me. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks :)

can the readers please update if they can accept or not.thanks

Bump for ANYONE willing to read personal statements. It does not have to be extremely comprehensive, just another set of eyes to get a different perspective. PM please!

Any updates? I have my PS almost finished and need some thoughts on it.

Sent from my Galaxy S2 via tapatalk

CopToEM: Class of 2016 non-traditional student. PM me and I will send you my e-mail to forward your PS to. As I will edit your PS for grammar and content, you must have MS Word so I can use the comment feature within. I'm also willing to provide a copy of my successful PS if you need motivation, etc. NOT ACCEPTING ANY NEW SUBMISSIONS AT THIS TIME. Any PMs sent until I remove this notice will be deleted. I received 12 requests today

mommy2three OMS-3, reapplicant, underdog with f's on transcripts, non-trad. will edit for content and minor grammar. can be brutal and have been known to tell people to totally rescrap and start over with some guidance on where to start. on rotations, variable turnaround time - hope to have most done in 1 - 1 1/2 wks. willing to read non-trad, reapplicant or underdog PS as i feel like i have a pretty good grasp of what it takes, also will look at traditional statements as well.

I'm accepting personal statements. PM me.

I've finished most of the personal statements sent to me and I believe there are 3 that I have not gotten to. I apologize for taking so long on these - I never expected to get inundated with them within such a short period of time. I literally woke up one morning to more than a dozen.

If you know that you have a PS still outstanding that has been sent to me, and you either have a newer revision or have already applied, please send me a message and let me know so that I don't spend time editing an old / unnecessary PS.

Thanks! :cool:

dntke1518: Accepted re-applicant with multiple interview invites 2nd cycle. Will edit for content and some grammar. I hope to have a turnaround of 3 business days, please send your PS via PM.

CopToEM: Class of 2016 non-traditional student. PM me and I will send you my e-mail to forward your PS to. As I will edit your PS for grammar and content, you must have MS Word so I can use the comment feature within. I'm also willing to provide a copy of my successful PS if you need motivation, etc. NOT ACCEPTING ANY NEW SUBMISSIONS AT THIS TIME. Any PMs sent until I remove this notice will be deleted. I received 12 requests today

mommy2three OMS-3, reapplicant, underdog with f's on transcripts, non-trad. will edit for content and minor grammar. can be brutal and have been known to tell people to totally rescrap and start over with some guidance on where to start. on rotations, variable turnaround time - hope to have most done in 1 - 1 1/2 wks. willing to read non-trad, reapplicant or underdog PS as i feel like i have a pretty good grasp of what it takes, also will look at traditional statements as well.

4) If you are unable to read any more personal statements, please come back and remove your name from the list

I'm back in the money :)

Hey guys, just wondering if anyone has some room to read over my PS from last years cycle before I revise it. Really looking to revise and hit key points that I missed.

I have been seeing many people kind of backed up reading other members PS so just wanted to find out if anyone has some available time! I can email it right one over thanks!

If anyone can look over mine i would really appreciate it. I have had my family look over it already but its hard to get honest opinions from them. Just send me a PM if you can help me out.

Thanks in advance.

PS: If i get accepted into med school i will get you a [insert clincher here] :D

Hello, guys, I wonder if it is ok for me to use the PS from the application for AMCAS and if anyone could provide me some guidelines or read over my PS. Please PM me. Thanks a lot.

Bump....Need volunteers to criticize my PS

regularbobj - just finished up my own PS. Willing to help out others with anything PS related

4) If you are unable to read any more personal statements, please come back and remove your name from the list

Where can I ask someone to read my personal statement? I am applying in 2013 this summer.