*~*~*~*Official Personal Statement Guide and Reader List 2016-2017*~*~*~*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AlteredScale

Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
This thread is for this year's applicants (for the class of 2020) who are beginning to work on their personal statements. If you're looking for someone to read your PS, check out the list of volunteers below In the most recent post ONLY!!

Link to last years Personal Statement Reader thread here.
If you need help getting started, check out the second post in this thread.

If you are willing to volunteer, the thread will be self regulated this year. Respond below, following the instructions at the end of this post (and in the third post), with your credentials and specific things you are willing to edit for (content only, grammar only, etc). Please read the full list of rules posted below before you volunteer or contact a reader, and good luck to the 2016-2017 applicants.

Specific comments, questions, or complaints can be addressed to me via PM. If I can't answer them they will be forwarded to the rest of the Pre-Osteopathic senior moderator staff.

Official Personal Statement Guide thread, Alejandro's Personal Statement Advice, and Depakote's Personal Statement Guide/Tips.
  • If you are looking for feedback on your personal statement, it is better to PM individual users here whose strengths are better suited to your needs rather than posting a response in this thread.
  • Once you contact a reader and they agree to read your personal statement, please email it to them as a Word document with your SDN username in the title. Including your SDN username makes it easier for the readers to keep track of who they've already read for and who they still need to read. DO NOT JUST PM YOUR STATEMENT TO A READER.
Rules for Readers:
  • If you would like to be added or deleted from the list, please make sure that you follow the directions below, and add or delete yourself.
  • As a volunteer, you may read as many or as few personal statements as you'd like or have time for. If you will be unavailable for a certain time or have been inundated with requests, simply take yourself off of the list using the instructions below
  • If you receive a request and are unable to fulfill it, please respond to the writer so he/she is not waiting for a response and can request help from elsewhere.
  • For your protection, we will not allow you to post your email addresses here. All email addresses will be edited out of the list and any further posts containing email addresses will be edited to remove them. Writers will contact you via PM and you can exchange email addresses privately.
  • As this is on a volunteer basis, absolutely NO solicitation of money for your services will be tolerated. Volunteers who violate this policy will be removed from the list and subject to further disciplinary action.
List Updated: 03/15/2017
This thread is brought to you by the Pre-Osteopathic Volunteer Staff.
Any questions can be send to me (@AlteredScale), @Bacchus, or @chizledfrmstone.
Please remember that these people are volunteering their time. Be nice to them!

--DO NOT ERASE THESE INSTRUCTIONS!--
1) Click "quote" on the most recent post.
2) Add your SDN screen name, your credentials, and specific things you are willing to edit for (content only, grammar only, etc). DO NOT post your email address.
3) Delete the quote tags at both the top and the bottom.
4) If you are unable to read any more personal statements, please come back and remove your name from the list and add your name to the "Readers not available" list.

Current Readers Available:
  • medstar11- Accepted student- a lot of experience reading for fellow classmates and on sdn
  • meditative_premed | PCOM c/o 2020 | grammar nazi, solid experience editing content for PS and activity summaries for peers
  • SynapticDoctah | MS1 KCU-COM | I can read and write.
  • weanprednisone | got my app ready, but recently decided to apply next cycle. | Can do content/impression/style/flow/theme. I hold a position at my department that reviews employment application that includes PS and decides if they get hired or not. Worked for writing undergrad writing center and career center. Feel free to PM your PS in a google document. I am willing to read more than one time as well.
Readers Not Available:

• Alteredscale| MS1 KCU-COM| Sorry folks. Had way too many request as is so will need a break.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
This thread is for this year's applicants (for the class of 2020) who are beginning to work on their personal statements. If you're looking for someone to read your PS, check out the list of volunteers below In the most recent post ONLY!!

If you are willing to volunteer, the thread will be self regulated this year. Respond below, following the instructions at the end of this post (and in the third post), with your credentials and specific things you are willing to edit for (content only, grammar only, etc). Please read the full list of rules posted below before you volunteer or contact a reader, and good luck to the 2016-2017 applicants.

Specific comments, questions, or complaints can be addressed to me via PM. If I can't answer them they will be forwarded to the rest of the Pre-Osteopathic senior moderator staff.

Official Personal Statement Guide thread, Alejandro's Personal Statement Advice, and Depakote's Personal Statement Guide/Tips.
  • If you are looking for feedback on your personal statement, it is better to PM individual users here whose strengths are better suited to your needs rather than posting a response in this thread.
  • Once you contact a reader and they agree to read your personal statement, please email it to them as a Word document with your SDN username in the title. Including your SDN username makes it easier for the readers to keep track of who they've already read for and who they still need to read. DO NOT JUST PM YOUR STATEMENT TO A READER.
Rules for Readers:
  • If you would like to be added or deleted from the list, please make sure that you follow the directions below, and add or delete yourself.
  • As a volunteer, you may read as many or as few personal statements as you'd like or have time for. If you will be unavailable for a certain time or have been inundated with requests, simply take yourself off of the list using the instructions below
  • If you receive a request and are unable to fulfill it, please respond to the writer so he/she is not waiting for a response and can request help from elsewhere.
  • For your protection, we will not allow you to post your email addresses here. All email addresses will be edited out of the list and any further posts containing email addresses will be edited to remove them. Writers will contact you via PM and you can exchange email addresses privately.
  • As this is on a volunteer basis, absolutely NO solicitation of money for your services will be tolerated. Volunteers who violate this policy will be removed from the list and subject to further disciplinary action.

2) Add your SDN screen name, your credentials, and specific things you are willing to edit for (content only, grammar only, etc). DO NOT post your email address.
4) If you are unable to read any more personal statements, please come back and remove your name from the list and add your name to the "Readers not available" list.

• Alteredscale| MS1 KCU-COM| Solid experience in reading PS's for fellow applicants both on SDN and at my alma mater.
  • medstar11- Accepted student- a lot of experience reading for fellow classmates and on sdn

Readers Not Available:

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user

Rules for Readers:

• Alteredscale| MS1 KCU-COM| Solid experience in reading PS's for fellow applicants both on SDN and at my alma mater.
  • meditative_premed | PCOM c/o 2020 | grammar nazi, solid experience editing content for PS and activity summaries for peers

Readers Not Available:

Members don't see this ad :)

Rules for Readers:

Readers Not Available:

Rules for Readers:

• weanprednisone | got my app ready, but recently decided to apply next cycle. | Can do content/impression/style/flow/theme. I hold a position at my department that reviews employment application that includes PS and decides if they get hired or not. Worked for writing undergrad writing center and career center. Feel free to PM your PS in a google document. I am willing to read more than one time as well.
Readers Not Available:

Rules for Readers:

• jwilliams1993 | accepted second cycle | I'm a real stickler for grammar and tutored in my undergrad
Readers Not Available:

Rules for Readers:

• jwilliams1993 | accepted second cycle | I'm a real stickler for grammar and tutored in my undergrad
Readers Not Available:
  • Alteredscale | MS1 KCU-COM | Sorry folks. Had way too many request as is so will need a break.
  • meditative_premed | Sorry guys, getting slammed with requests and I have a lot of traveling coming up in the next few months. I am only continuing to edit PS's of users who I have already been in communication with. Thanks for understanding.

Rules for Readers:

[*]SynapticDoctah | MS1 KCU-COM | I can read and write.
[*]weanprednisone | got my app ready, but recently decided to apply next cycle. | Can do content/impression/style/flow/theme. I hold a position at my department that reviews employment application that includes PS and decides if they get hired or not. Worked for writing undergrad writing center and career center. Feel free to PM your PS in a google document. I am willing to read more than one time as well.
[*]jwilliams1993 | accepted second cycle | I'm a real stickler for grammar and tutored in my undergrad
[/LIST]
Readers Not Available:
  • Alteredscale | MS1 KCU-COM | Sorry folks. Had way too many request as is so will need a break.
  • meditative_premed | Sorry guys, getting slammed with requests and I have a lot of traveling coming up in the next few months. I am only continuing to edit PS's of users who I have already been in communication with. Thanks for understanding.
  • medstar11 I will return to the available list after I finish reviewing my current requests!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Rules for Readers:

Readers Not Available:
  • meditative_premed | Sorry guys, getting slammed with requests and I have a lot of traveling coming up in the next few months. I am only continuing to edit PS's of users who I have already been in communication with. Thanks for understanding

I hope this is the right forum to ask this, but is it okay to just refer to "medicine" in general, or should I at the minimum speak about what attracted me to osteopathic medicine, i.e. how I learned about it? My PS is done, but it is generic for MD/DO, but I am now just applying for DO.

Thanks!

I hope this is the right forum to ask this, but is it okay to just refer to "medicine" in general, or should I at the minimum speak about what attracted me to osteopathic medicine, i.e. how I learned about it? My PS is done, but it is generic for MD/DO, but I am now just applying for DO.

Thanks!

You can do either or but i refrained from going to why DO on my PS, most schools give a secondary prompt for that.

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile app

But wait in the AACOMAS prompt it asks why osteopathic medicine... Unless i am mistaken

Members don't see this ad :)
Hmm, I mean I can see why it asks for DO for obvious reasons but I don't want to write anything that implies that DO is somehow objectively better--rather it is simply different from MD in terms of training and emphasis.

That's pretty much what I did.

Rules for Readers:

Readers Not Available:
  • meditative_premed | Sorry guys, getting slammed with requests and I have a lot of traveling coming up in the next few months. I am only continuing to edit PS's of users who I have already been in communication with. Thanks for understanding
  • jwilliams1993 | I need some time to catch up with the requests I've got and then I'll come back and list myself as available.

Rules for Readers:

• mellonceek-Accepted Student - Had my PS edited many many times and it was a godsend, would love to pay it forward to the new cycle. Love to read, love to write!
Readers Not Available:
  • jwilliams1993 | I need some time to catch up with the requests I've got and then I'll come back and list myself as available.

Rules for Readers:

Readers Not Available:
  • mellonceek | Need some time to catch up as well!

Rules for Readers:

• pcj1101|Accepted student, worked as a hiring manager for a company for multiple years, assisted with a workshop on writing resumes and cover letters, and have been helping friends and classmates edit recently.
Readers Not Available:

Rules for Readers:

Current Readers Available:[\B]
  • pcj1101|Accepted student, worked as a hiring manager for a company for multiple years, assisted with a workshop on writing resumes and cover letters, and have been helping friends and classmates edit recently.
Readers Not Available:
  • medstar11| sorry guys I posted that I was unavailable I thought last week. I am in the process of moving

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile

Rules for Readers:

• littleblackbear | Accepted student, LECOM 2020 | Will review statement for content, grammar, and anything else that lends to a strong, coherent statement. I love editing and have always been a strong writer; I'm the go-to person amongst my family and friends for help with any essays. I am also quite bored waiting for medical school to start, so I have a lot of free time. No need to ask in advance, include your PS in the message please.
Readers Not Available:
  • medstar11| sorry guys I posted that I was unavailable I thought last week. I am in the process of moving

Last edited:

Rules for Readers:

• littleblackbear | Accepted student, LECOM 2020 | Will review statement for content, grammar, and anything else that lends to a strong, coherent statement. I love editing and have always been a strong writer; I'm the go-to person amongst my family and friends for help with any essays. I am also quite bored waiting for medical school to start, so I have a lot of free time.
Readers Not Available:
  • weanprednisone | backed up

Rules for Readers:

• littleblackbear | Accepted student, LECOM 2020 | Will review statement for content, grammar, and anything else that lends to a strong, coherent statement. I love editing and have always been a strong writer; I'm the go-to person amongst my family and friends for help with any essays. I am also quite bored waiting for medical school to start, so I have a lot of free time.
Readers Not Available:
  • pcj1101| Backed up - need some time to get back on track. Sorry!

Rules for Readers:

• marrowist | Applying this cycle. | I am an avid writer. Willing to review for grammar, content and flow. I just cannot stand to see only on other person on this list.
Readers Not Available:

Rules for Readers:

• marrowist | Applying this cycle. | I am an avid writer. Willing to review for grammar, content and flow. I just cannot stand to see only on other person on this list.
  • katy524 | Applying this cycle | Bio grad and love writing and editing. Stickler for grammar and flow. Can help you put together a comprehensive story. Send me PM!
Readers Not Available:

Rules for Readers:

• katy524 | Applying this cycle | Bio grad and love writing and editing. Stickler for grammar and flow. Can help you put together a comprehensive story. Send me PM!
  • SeattleGraceForever | Applying this cycle | Former editor for school newspaper and journalism class. I have helped many classmates with their personal statements. Will review for grammar/ content/ flow.
Readers Not Available:
[/QUOTE]

Rules for Readers:

• SeattleGraceForever | Applying this cycle | Former editor for school newspaper and journalism class. I have helped many classmates with their personal statements. Will review for grammar/ content/ flow.
Readers Not Available:
  • littleblackbear | Sorry, just started med school. Won't be able to look over any more.

Rules for Readers:

Readers Not Available:
  • littleblackbear | Sorry, just started med school. Won't be able to look over any more.
  • katy524 | Sorry getting a little backed on up requests. Will make myself available when I'm done!

Rules for Readers:
Any questions can be sent to me (@AlteredScale), @Bacchus, or @chizledfrmstone.

• GBCrzzyy | Applying this cycle | Love writing and reading, not too great at grammar but can edit for spelling and provide advice on content and flow.
Readers Not Available:
  • katy524 | Sorry getting a little backed on up requests. Will make myself available when I'm done!

Rules for Readers:

• GBCrzzyy | Applying this cycle | Love writing and reading, not too great at grammar but can edit for spelling and provide advice on content and flow.
  • iwh | current undergrad, like to read and write
Readers Not Available:

Rules for Readers:

Readers Not Available:
  • SeattleGraceForever | Working crazy hours, just don't have the time. Sorry

Rules for Readers:

• 09kseljaas | Applying next cycle | I am a non-trad, in my current job I am part of a hiring board (review resumes, cover letters, etc.) I can give my general impressions and review content/flow.
Readers Not Available:

Rules for Readers:

• marrowist | Applying this cycle. | I am an avid writer. Willing to review for grammar, content and flow. I just cannot stand to see only on other person on this list
  • 09kseljaas | Applying next cycle | I am a non-trad, in my current job I am part of a hiring board (review resumes, cover letters, etc.) I can give my general impressions and review content/flow.
Readers Not Available:
  • GBCrzzyy | Working two jobs right now and don't have time to do much more than eat and sleep. Sorry guys!

GotIronKnee /Applying this cycle/ Willing to look over a few personal statements. I can make suggestions for content, flow, etc, but be warned: I can be very critical. I think, however, that improvement stems from the application of constructive criticism.

Rules for Readers:

• marrowist | Applying this cycle. | I am an avid writer. Willing to review for grammar, content and flow. I just cannot stand to see only on other person on this list
  • GotIronKnee /Applying this cycle/ Willing to look over a few personal statements. I can make suggestions for content, flow, etc, but be warned: I can be very critical. I think, however, that improvement stems from the application of constructive criticism.
Readers Not Available:
  • GBCrzzyy | Working two jobs right now and don't have time to do much more than eat and sleep. Sorry guys!

Rules for Readers:

• GotIronKnee /Applying this cycle/ Willing to look over a few personal statements. I can make suggestions for content, flow, etc, but be warned: I can be very critical. I think, however, that improvement stems from the application
  • Nekobeats | M4 at NSU-COM | Content/flow/grammar | I like to write for fun (see blog). I received A grades in my undergrad honors writing classes and have read a ton of personal statements for premeds over the years. I also got good feedback from adcom on my own PS when I applied to med school and again from program directors when I applied for residency | Volume control: minimum 50 posts, 1 PS per username, draft must be complete and show evidence of effort | If you directly PM me your PS, I will ignore it. First come, first serve. Please read the rules and follow the thread for timeline/updates!
Readers Not Available:
  • RogerDOC | need a week or two to get caught up! Then I'll be back

Last edited: