Official Postbacc or HES&Research?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bettalover12

10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I understand wanting to get multiple points of view. But please don't create identical topics across multiple threads in the future, it makes it harder for others to search topics.

I think both will look the same to med schools. More important is the grade you get from those courses. If you're getting low B's and C's, then the research and volunteer work isn't worth much. Both of those programs are reputable.

I went to HES and only volunteered. No complaints when it came to getting into med school.

Members don't see this ad :)
I understand wanting to get multiple points of view. But please don't create identical topics across multiple threads in the future, it makes it harder for others to search topics.
Why not let a moderator handle that?

Thank you! I'm leaning more towards HES because I think I'll get much higher grades taking 2 classes versus taking 4.

The impression I get is that nothing will make up for ****ty grades. They need to know you can handle the coursework-if that is in doubt, everything else is moot. Unless you discover a cure for HIV or something. Borderline GPA with research seems to me like a tougher row to hoe than a high GPA with no research. It's something I've thought of myself-I'll see what I can handle after my first semester.

Personally, my academic science record is spotty, so my #1 priority is proving that I can nail the courses. To that end, I'd rather have a 4.0 postbacc with zero research than a 3.7 with awesome research. Maybe I'm wrong, but academics are my soft underbelly so I need to shore that up as much as possible. I'm also not shooting for a top tier med school.