Forum Members *~*~*~*~Official Pre-Allo Social Thread~*~*~*~*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Members don't see this ad :)
Watching BBall. WVU game is pathetic....
Are you guys into cooking? I like to cook if I have the money for the all the ingredients. I wanna take some side cooking lessons in the future.

Are you guys into cooking? I like to cook if I have the money for the all the ingredients. I wanna take some side cooking lessons in the future.

Cooking classes was something I was seriously considering during my gap year but I was too lazy. If I have all the ingredients and a recipe to make something cool, it can be fun. It's pretty rewarding too when you know you made it all yourself.

Reactions: 1 user
Cooking classes was something I was seriously considering during my gap year but I was too lazy. If I have all the ingredients and a recipe to make something cool, it can be fun. It's pretty rewarding too when you know you made it all yourself.
For real, sometimes I think I don't need the classes, I'm fine with following a recipe. I think the classes would be for learning some top notch ****, though.

You and me both! I haven't had the time nor money to make some really good meals. I even got a recipe book for Christmas that I haven't had the chance to use yet...:(

You and me both! I haven't had the time nor money to make some really good meals. I even got a recipe book for Christmas that I haven't had the chance to use yet...:(
Yeah, it gets pricey when you start buying the ingredients. I like cook different dishes, like tater tot casserole (lol) and jambalaya.

Yeah, it gets pricey when you start buying the ingredients. I like cook different dishes, like tater tot casserole (lol) and jambalaya.

Ahhhhhh my friend's dad makes the BEST jambalaya.... Just ate lunch and now I'm hungry again.

Ahhhhhh my friend's dad makes the BEST jambalaya.... Just ate lunch and now I'm hungry again.
When I freshly made it the family love it, a day later it made my stomach upset. :hungover:

Members don't see this ad :)
Looking at her, I'm reminded of Kender from Dragonlance......maybe you're familiar?

OMG my husband and I are not alone. We both agree that she totally looks like someone on the front of the books' original artwork.

Looking at her, I'm reminded of Kender from Dragonlance......maybe you're familiar?

OMG my husband and I are not alone. We both agree that she totally looks like someone on the front of the books' original artwork.

Hahaha I wasn't familiar with Dragonlance but after some google searches I can TOTALLY see the resemblance...

Reactions: 1 users
Hahaha I wasn't familiar with Dragonlance but after some google searches I can TOTALLY see the resemblance...
Ariana-Grande-Ponytail.jpg
Totally looks like
tas.gif

:rofl: Never quite realized the resemblance until the photos shown!

What is tater tot casserole and why does it sound amazing?!

Married woman with >10 years of marriage, have never made tater tot casserole but now that I've seen that I suspect that it might be the only way my kids will eat a casserole without complaint. Hm.

I have to say, I cook a fair amount, off and on, and try completely random, ridiculous recipes at times, and I've never felt that I needed a cooking class for them. I just never 100% trust a single recipe (I usually look at a ton of them, pick my favorite, and then research the part that seems to differ most from recipe to recipe and pick the best method for that separately.)

I have to say, I cook a fair amount, off and on, and try completely random, ridiculous recipes at times, and I've never felt that I needed a cooking class for them. I just never 100% trust a single recipe (I usually look at a ton of them, pick my favorite, and then research the part that seems to differ most from recipe to recipe and pick the best method for that separately.)
I have been watching Gordon Ramsay shows, so I feel like I need to learn to cook to perfection. :p

Last edited:
Cooking is my jam. It's pretty relaxing for me so I enjoy putting dishes together.

Anyone in here a long time skateboarder?
No, you hippie!

Nah, I use to skateboard back in the days, nothing too crazy though. Kinda bummed out that my favorite pro-skaters back then were drug addicts and alcoholics.

No, you hippie!

Nah, I use to skateboard back in the days, nothing too crazy though. Kinda bummed out that my favorite pro-skaters back then were drug addicts and alcoholics.
I know, I know.

I've been skating since the second grade; I never really cared for the culture surrounding skateboarding, though. Oh well, I guess that makes me unique or something (Or maybe adcoms will think I'm a total hippy).

Oh, you will. lol They come out of nowhere. :rofl:

None that I know about. ;) lol

I don't have any, but I would sure love to have children in the near future.

I thought they came from the stork?

Any of you guys have kids?

I have a two year old girl.

As far as cooking, I think you can learn a lot on your own, and cooking classes are a lot more about technique and presentation. My high school made you pick an area of focus and mine was "hospitality" because I wanted to be a chef. I took prostart which is suppose to prepare you for culinary school. Then one summer I went to Sullivan Universities "culinary camp" which was amazing. Most of the stuff we made probably could be add just by following a recipes, but I think the point of cooking classes is to take it beyond just something yummy to something of a more professional quality, like something you would pay someone to make.

So I know the April Fools thread I made today was stupid, but no one got a laugh of it. :bored: Hmmm, you would think on April Fools day people would have a sense of humor.

I have a two year old girl.

As far as cooking, I think you can learn a lot on your own, and cooking classes are a lot more about technique and presentation. My high school made you pick an area of focus and mine was "hospitality" because I wanted to be a chef. I took prostart which is suppose to prepare you for culinary school. Then one summer I went to Sullivan Universities "culinary camp" which was amazing. Most of the stuff we made probably could be add just by following a recipes, but I think the point of cooking classes is to take it beyond just something yummy to something of a more professional quality, like something you would pay someone to make.
Awesome! I can't wait to have kids, but not at the moment. But you know what they say, sometimes they come a lot sooner than you think. I guess I am solid with just following recipes. :thumbup:

@The Buff OP How much do you bench?
Holy smokes! I forgot today it is my SDN anniversary. I don't use the bench anymore I use dumbbells so like 90's, 80's, or 70's depending how I'm feeling. On the Hammer Strength I put like 2 45's and a 35 on each side.

Ugh, brief rant but...
My LORs are due in a few weeks for my school's committee letter.
I was meeting with one of my writers, having a good talk, etc...and when I stood up to leave they casually dropped in "yeah, expect that to be a month late, minimum. But keep nagging me, I won't get annoyed or irritated by it! The committee will probably start hassling me too, but I think they'll grudgingly take them until sometime in June!"

I was like
o_O :wow::inpain::nailbiting::sour::mad::sendoff:+pissed+:boom:

WHYYYYYY WOULD YOU PLAN ON BEING LATE?!?
Why would you ever tell me that?
Why not just WRITE THE DAMN LETTER, especially given that I made sure you recommended me for another program this year precisely so that you had a foundation started and it would be easier for you to get things done in med school crunch time?!?!?

It probably won't make any difference to my app, but it definitely bugs me, especially because with my split stats I am adamant about submitting ASAP. Keep in mind, after she finally submits the letter, the committee still has to write one, and I don't really want to be their last-ditch, in-a-rush effort after burning out on everyone else all season. FFfffffffuuuuuuu

Ugh, brief rant but...
I was meeting with one of my writers, having a good talk, etc...and when I stood up to leave they casually dropped in "yeah, expect that to be a month late, minimum. But keep nagging me, I won't get annoyed or irritated by it! The committee will probably start hassling me too, but I think they'll grudgingly take them until sometime in June!"

I was like

Why not just WRITE THE DAMN LETTER, especially given that I made sure you recommended me for another program this year precisely so that you had a foundation started and it would be easier for you to get things done in med school crunch time?!?!?

It probably won't make any difference to my app, but it definitely bugs me, especially because with my split stats I am adamant about submitting ASAP. Keep in mind, after she finally submits the letter, the committee still has to write one, and I don't really want to be their last-ditch, in-a-rush effort after burning out on everyone else all season. FFfffffffuuuuuuu
I'd be livid too... But aren't you able to submit an app without the letters? Also, you can possibly count on getting a better committee letter because some writers put out better material in the umpteenth round -- yeah, I realize that may have been a lame attempt to find a silver lining in this ridiculousness.

Perhaps you can start nagging this person earlier? Ask the committee to advocate on your behalf?

I'd be livid too... But aren't you able to submit an app without the letters? Also, you can possibly count on getting a better committee letter because some writers put out better material in the umpteenth round -- yeah, I realize that may have been a lame attempt to find a silver lining in this ridiculousness.

Perhaps you can start nagging this person earlier? Ask the committee to advocate on your behalf?
Yeah, I can submit without letters. If she submits in May, that gives the committee 1-2mo to write my letter before it impacts my timing. If she submits in June, well...that's less good.
Odds are it won't have any impact whatsoever - I think our committee already knows what they want to write for me, they just need quotable sources. It just seems blatantly disrespectful, tbh.

One of my writers already submitted their letter (after asking the committee 8x to read it over and give her tips so she could improve it if possible), the other wrote it a year ago when I finished his course, and the third has no other students, period, because he's my boss, not a prof. So it's really just this one person dragging their feet and it's irritating, even if it doesn't matter in the end. I hear they write good letters, though, and they did already write me one before (I got into the program that time!) That's actually the issue...she writes so many letters for so many people in so many contexts that she is just burnt out right now. She says she just finished a huge round of letters for summer programs and is kind of done atm. But STILL! :flame:

Ugh, brief rant but...

I was like

That's some BS! How hard is it to sit down for an hour and type out an LOR?

Cyberdino, can you make me an LOR in the future?

That's some BS! How hard is it to sit down for an hour and type out an LOR?
I guess I should be grateful that, even with the previous LOR she wrote for me to build on, she spends enough time and mental effort on each letter that it is quite taxing for her to write too many of them too close together.

Just one more MCAT book still on its way. Intimidating imo.
image.jpg

Reactions: 2 users
Just one more MCAT book still on its way. Intimidating imo.
View attachment 190890
Oof. I don't know what to do with my stack. I was too burnt out/busy to sell them right after my Aug27 exam, so I dawdled around for months and...well, now the test has changed. So I have a trunkful of books and no clue what to do with them :(

Oof. I don't know what to do with my stack. I was too burnt out/busy to sell them right after my Aug27 exam, so I dawdled around for months and...well, now the test has changed. So I have a trunkful of books and no clue what to do with them :(
You might still be able to sell them. All of those subjects will still be on the test. I sold my TBR books last month for $180 so there's still hope!