Forum Members *~*~*~*~Official Pre-Allo Social Thread~*~*~*~*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
They just changed the forum styles around again...
Friends%2Bpost%2B4.gif

Reactions: 1 users
Ugh, brief rant but...
My LORs are due in a few weeks for my school's committee letter.
I was meeting with one of my writers, having a good talk, etc...and when I stood up to leave they casually dropped in "yeah, expect that to be a month late, minimum. But keep nagging me, I won't get annoyed or irritated by it! The committee will probably start hassling me too, but I think they'll grudgingly take them until sometime in June!"

I was like
o_O :wow::inpain::nailbiting::sour::mad::sendoff:+pissed+:boom:

WHYYYYYY WOULD YOU PLAN ON BEING LATE?!?
Why would you ever tell me that?
Why not just WRITE THE DAMN LETTER, especially given that I made sure you recommended me for another program this year precisely so that you had a foundation started and it would be easier for you to get things done in med school crunch time?!?!?

It probably won't make any difference to my app, but it definitely bugs me, especially because with my split stats I am adamant about submitting ASAP. Keep in mind, after she finally submits the letter, the committee still has to write one, and I don't really want to be their last-ditch, in-a-rush effort after burning out on everyone else all season. FFfffffffuuuuuuu

I asked my science LOR writer if she could write my letter around this time last year. I had all my secondaries and other letters submitted by around beginning of July. She didn't get me her letter until the beginning of August. I had apps at around 20 schools just sitting there waiting to be complete because her letter wasn't in yet. And being a borderline applicant (w/ regards to median accepted stats), I was certainly not happy. 100s if not 1000s of apps were getting looked at before mine just because my writer was taking forever... I feel your pain.

This takes me back to HS days.

Ewwwwww. Nothing like some old school T-pain.

Just one more MCAT book still on its way. Intimidating imo.
View attachment 190890

:vomit::vomit::vomit::vomit::vomit::vomit:

Members don't see this ad :)
Guys...guys...we just found a tiny baby squirrel in our driveway. He's probably ~5wks old, according to The Internet, which we all know is infallible. Anyway, he was not in great shape (possibly has fallen from his nest?) with a slow, but steady nosebleed. He's clearly cold and dehydrated, at the least.
Took him to the local vet, where they rehydrated him a bit subQ. Give him some flea stuff (he def had fleas) so my mom won't have a heart attack when she finds him in the house later. The wildlife sanctuary doesn't open until tomorrow, so I'm trying to warm him up and keep him hydrated tonight without overhandling him :eek:
I'm also trying not to die of cute, btw.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Guys...guys...we just found a tiny baby squirrel in our driveway. He's probably ~5wks old, according to The Internet, which we all know is infallible. Anyway, he was not in great shape (possibly has fallen from his nest?) with a slow, but steady nosebleed. He's clearly cold and dehydrated, at the least.
Took him to the local vet, where they rehydrated him a bit subQ. Give him some flea stuff (he def had fleas) so my mom won't have a heart attack when she finds him in the house later. The wildlife sanctuary doesn't open until tomorrow, so I'm trying to warm him up and keep him hydrated tonight without overhandling him *eek*
I'm also trying not to die of cute, btw.
Aw, I'm glad he's recovered. I revived a little bird who hit my window the other day. He napped for about 10 min on a pillow I made out of a towel. Then, like a light being turned on he was up and alert, fluttering about my room. ^-^

Aw, I'm glad he's recovered. I revived a little bird who hit my window the other day. He napped for about 10 min on a pillow I made out of a towel. Then, like a light being turned on he was up and alert, fluttering about my room. ^-^
I dunno...he hasn't stayed as perked as I'd like. I'm worried the house is too cold. Also his nose is still bleeding and it's been like 2hrs.

Glad yours turned out alright, though!

Last edited:
I dunno...he hasn't stayed as perked as I'd like. I'm worried the house is too cold. Also his nose is still bleeding and it's been like 2hrs.

Glad yours turned out alright, though!
How cool of you guys. The animals that I find on my house I have to put them down. lol Snakes that is. There is a mix of rat snakes and copperheads. A copperhead bit one of my pups onced, so I kill any snake I see now. It cost us 300 bucks for an overnight stay for my pup at the vet hospital since the copperhead did inject venom into my dog's face.

How cool of you guys. The animals that I find on my house I have to put them down. lol Snakes that is. There is a mix of rat snakes and copperheads. A copperhead bit one of my pups onced, so I kill any snake I see now. It cost us 300 bucks for an overnight stay for my pup at the vet hospital since the copperhead did inject venom into my dog's face.
Oh snap! Yeah, we don't have snakes so much. I did almost step on a rattler as thick as your arm once (well, maybe not your arm, Buff) but that was when I lived several thousand miles from my present location. Also I was a kid and we were hiking in the mountains, so it would've been one heckuva sprint down for my mom once I got hit :/

Oh snap! Yeah, we don't have snakes so much. I did almost step on a rattler as thick as your arm once (well, maybe not your arm, Buff) but that was when I lived several thousand miles from my present location. Also I was a kid and we were hiking in the mountains, so it would've been one heckuva sprint down for my mom once I got hit :/
Yeah, I've been told my forearms are the size of someones thigh. lol Rattle snakes are scary, they are way thicker and they probably do not die so fast. I use to shoot the snakes with pellets in the head, then chop off their head. Now I use the machete and stab them right on top of their head, chop off the head, then into pieces and throw it back over the fence (supposedly that helps from future snakes coming back).

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, I've been told my forearms are the size of someones thigh. lol Rattle snakes are scary, they are way thicker and they probably do not die so fast. I use to shoot the snakes with pellets in the head, then chop off their head. Now I use the machete and stab them right on top of their head, chop off the head, then into pieces and throw it back over the fence (supposedly that helps from future snakes coming back).
I had literally put my heel down already and was lowering the front of my foot...my toe would have hit the thing. I jumped back so damn fast (but not as fast as it went into rattling mode). :eek: Gimme an angry bear anytime over that. I think we had maybe a Swiss Army knife on us, no machete or gun. Not sure what we'd have done (do the snakes usually just bite and take off?)

I had literally put my heel down already and was lowering the front of my foot...my toe would have hit the thing. I jumped back so damn fast (but not as fast as it went into rattling mode). :eek: Gimme an angry bear anytime over that. I think we had maybe a Swiss Army knife on us, no machete or gun. Not sure what we'd have done (do the snakes usually just bite and take off?)
Pretty much. I wished I would of found that mofo snake that bit my dog. Hey what math classes did you take? I'm kind of stuck thinking what classes to take for math. I'm gonna test the waters with a business major and they require finite mathematics and business calculus.

I don't want to go to bed...what if I didn't set things up right for the little guy and he dies cuz I was an idiot?!?

Pretty much. I wished I would of found that mofo snake that bit my dog. Hey what math classes did you take? I'm kind of stuck thinking what classes to take for math. I'm gonna test the waters with a business major and they require finite mathematics and business calculus.
I did 2 calcs in HS, so I mostly left it at that.
I took Discrete in college, though...that was a fun one! It basically starts from the ground up and makes you prove everything. Remember all of those simple rules you learn about math starting in like grade 1? Yeah, in this class you formally prove that they work. It was pretty cool.

That's it...I was not so much the math type. I didn't need it much, since I skipped physics and did orgo, but almost no p-chem!

I did 2 calcs in HS, so I mostly left it at that.
I took Discrete in college, though...that was a fun one! It basically starts from the ground up and makes you prove everything. Remember all of those simple rules you learn about math starting in like grade 1? Yeah, in this class you formally prove that they work. It was pretty cool.

That's it...I was not so much the math type. I didn't need it much, since I skipped physics and did orgo, but almost no p-chem!
Ugh...I don't want to take calculus, but I know for sure statistics is a must.

I should've taken it. Now that I'm premed my advisor has mentioned it a few times, but the only place I could take it is so far away, I haven't bothered.

I should've taken it. Now that I'm premed my advisor has mentioned it a few times, but the only place I could take it is so far away, I haven't bothered.
Online? In my math class we do the homework online, I actually learn from the examples instead of learning in class, but that's me. How's your Spanish?

I thought Stats wasn't bad, really. I looked at it as an opportunity to better understand the value of studies. That's going to be very useful for you later, even if you change paths.

Online? In my math class we do the homework online, I actually learn from the examples instead of learning in class, but that's me. How's your Spanish?
I mean, yeah, I guess I could take it online, but I let SDN get to me on that one.
My Spanish is...well, it's enough to communicate, but not to communicate well. I was actually really good for a book-learned student coming out of HS, but I was on the east coast, where I swear the largest Spanish-speaking population is high school seniors :rolleyes: Six years later with no practice and I sound like a 3yr old when I speak. I tried to take a class, but none are a good fit...intro classes are too easy, but I'm not quite ready to jump into upper ones right now. I've gotten better since working in hospitals, since my cruddy Spanish grammar is better than no Spanish, so I've had to translate a ridic amount for a poor Spanish speaker. My plan: get into med school, travel to S. America during my last free time before matriculation, maybe attend one of those immersion schools or something, do some fun stuff, come back with far, far, better Spanish!

@mehc012 observation bump.

Just realized that mehc is chem written in backwards. For a moment, I thought it stood for mechanic, as in a car mechanic (since you repair motorcycles) or a mechanical engineer. Or maybe even a mall-style robocop. Just a random observation.

@mehc012 observation bump.

Just realized that mehc is chem written in backwards. For a moment, I thought it stood for mechanic, as in a car mechanic (since you repair motorcycles) or a mechanical engineer. Or maybe even a mall-style robocop. Just a random observation.
Haha, yup. That was actually my aim. It's my universal username, so on gaming sites and whatnot it seems like your typical MECHWARRIOR897, but it's actually a nerdy reflection of my major and graduation year. Plus, it seems kind of guy-name-y, so I can lay low on the internet until I actually feel like advertising the fact that I'm a girl (yes it makes a difference). Most importantly it sounds cool! (and I've always liked 'meh' as an expression, too.)

Last edited:
Haha, yup. That was actually my aim. It's my universal username, so on gaming sites and whatnot it seems like your typical MECHWARRIOR897, but it's actually a nerdy reflection of my major and graduation year. Plus, it seems kind of guy-name-y, so I can lay low on the internet until I actually feel like advertising the fact that I'm a girl (yes it makes a difference). Most importantly it sounds cool, and 'meh' is one of my fav expressions of emotion anyway!

Well it's working effectively, since I thought you were a guy until you mentioned otherwise :oops:

And which chemistry subject do you like the most: organic, inorganic, analytical, biochemistry, or physical? And which one do you hate the most?

Well it's working effectively, since I thought you were a guy until you mentioned otherwise :oops:

And which chemistry subject do you like the most: organic, inorganic, analytical, biochemistry, or physical? And which one do you hate the most?
Organic!!!
I took all organic classes except for my one required p-chem course. It was awesome.
Biochem is neat, but a bit too Bio-y when you get to lab.
Inorganic I didn't get to try because the inorganic teacher disliked me strongly for other reasons and I never felt the need to tempt fate by taking her class.
P-chem is really cool...as long as I don't have to do it myself. Let other people plug stuff into Mathematica ad nauseum, I'll ooh and ahh over the results. Try to get me to do it and it can go DIAF.
Analytical I just see as a tool, tbh.

I thought Stats wasn't bad, really. I looked at it as an opportunity to better understand the value of studies. That's going to be very useful for you later, even if you change paths.
Damn! So, I just did a little quick search and I need to go through the long math route to take physics and chemistry.

Haha, yup. That was actually my aim. It's my universal username, so on gaming sites and whatnot it seems like your typical MECHWARRIOR897, but it's actually a nerdy reflection of my major and graduation year. Plus, it seems kind of guy-name-y, so I can lay low on the internet until I actually feel like advertising the fact that I'm a girl (yes it makes a difference). Most importantly it sounds cool! (and I've always liked 'meh' as an expression, too.)
I always read your name like this. #meg
char_4993.jpg

My plan: get into med school, travel to S. America during my last free time before matriculation, maybe attend one of those immersion schools or something, do some fun stuff, come back with far, far, better Spanish!
Coca? jk

I think that would be nice to do, being around people who only speak Spanish and you have to force yourself to speak Spanish to interact with people.

I always read your name like this. #meg
char_4993.jpg
Methinks you knew I was a girl from the start, then (or perhaps my River avvie gave the game away!)

They should just change her name to 'Meh-g'. Though I suppose they generally treat her as worse than 'meh'. :shrug:

Methinks you knew I was a girl from the start, then (or perhaps my River avvie gave the game away!)

They should just change her name to 'Meh-g'. Though I suppose they generally treat her as worse than 'meh'. :shrug:
I always knew you are a girl.

Holy crap, climbing is fun as hell!

11147182_10101473118385972_2462235409277325162_n.jpg

A wild RTC appears!

Pretty sure you've mentioned you're a girl before.

Holy crap, climbing is fun as hell!

11147182_10101473118385972_2462235409277325162_n.jpg

A wild RTC appears!

Lol is that one of those hats with the fish all over them?

Also, Indian food is freakin' awesome. And no I'm not indian (in a premed forum, probably not bad idea to clarify). If you don't like indian food, screw you.

Pretty sure you've mentioned you're a girl before.

Also, Indian food is freakin' awesome. And no I'm not indian (in a premed forum, probably not bad idea to clarify). If you don't like indian food, screw you.
I've mentioned it plenty. Heck, I've even had to argue about it with some people (not joking...where is Agent B, anyway?)
I just meant that most people on the internet, unless they read one of those many posts where I specifically mention it, tend to assume the opposite, whether due to username or my personality. :shrug:

It's a hat with paint splatter. Kinda my thing. Planning on buying a hat with a floral pattern soon.

And yes, Indian food is great.
-signed,
an Indian person

I just meant that most people on the internet, unless they read one of those many posts where I specifically mention it, tend to assume the opposite, whether due to username or my personality. :shrug:

Can confirm. Always thought you were one of the bros.

Reactions: 1 users
Speaking of which, I am mid road trip to Horseshoe Canyon Ranch. Have two 12c that I am aiming to send tomorrow or Saturday ;), I might get some attempts in on Sunday before our drive back.
Awesome! Have fun!
I'm kicking around getting my harness...I mostly just boulder right now, but I've started dragging my roommate to the gym with me and then it's fun to try the routes. It's surprising how different the two feel.

Yeah bouldering is so much harder. My arms still feel numb after going on weds.so much easier to rest while climbing.

No shame though, this was my second time going ever haha.

Speaking of which, I am mid road trip to Horseshoe Canyon Ranch. Have two 12c that I am aiming to send tomorrow or Saturday ;), I might get some attempts in on Sunday before our drive back.

I thought by rockclimbing, you climb those fake rocks in the gym. Didn't realize you rockclimb actual rocks. Color me shocked (and badly beaten) :oops::bigtears:

Yeah bouldering is so much harder. My arms still feel numb after going on weds.so much easier to rest while climbing.

No shame though, this was my second time going ever haha.
I went on vacation for a week, got sick, and am now getting ready to try out for a team. Aka I haven't climbed in like 2wks. All of my calluses fell off and I'm almost afraid to go back. That second day back...so rough!

Lead climbing?

10pm showing of a R rated movie and a mom walks in with her 5 year old boy....

Also, anyone into golf? Playing my first round of the season this weekend!!!

This is really random, but I didn't want to make a whole separate thread about it; Why are there so many banned users? :oops: