Forum Members *~*~*~*~Official Pre-Allo Social Thread~*~*~*~*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Holy crap you're a cheese head??

I follow college more because I went to a school in the south and CFB is a religion/culture of its own. If you don't watch CFB down here, you might as well tell people you're from the north and move there because you will be treated as an outcast.
Yeah booi Packers!

And because I'm black? :p

Members don't see this ad.

Starting undergrad in two weeks! Getting mentally prepared at the moment...

Members don't see this ad :)
Good luck! Let us know if you need help with college stuff and such.

Thanks, will do! It'll be the first time I'll be surrounded by smart kids since it's a fairly high rated institution…my HS was crappy.

The MCAT. It looms before me. Darkness shrouds the horizon as it approaches, consuming all before its wake. Leaving behind only burn-out and a sore back.

@efle and @ElCapone map projection bump!

map_projections.png

Reactions: 1 user
Not enough positive vibes for the former, and the girl I'm into is an art school chick not a nerd. If there was a loosely interpretive abstract map with shock-red hair and maybe a couple tattoos in sexy places I'd pick that one.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
First week of college is finished. My pre-med classes this semester, Chem 103 and Socl 250, are very easy - just slightly advanced from AP.

whats a good movie to watch on plane flights to interviews?

Someone did a new video to Avicii Waiting for Love and I think it's better than the original.
What do you guys think?

Remake:

Original

Federer fans unite! He was excellent vs Isner last night. I am really looking forward to watching him play Gasquet. Fed's side of the draw looks pretty nice, if he beats Gasquet he gets either Kevin Anderson (Fed is 4-0 against him) or Stan Wawrinka (Fed is 16-3 against him with all 3 losses coming on clay). Wawrinka did beat Fed during their last meeting in the quarters at Roland Garros so it would make a good narrative.

I am watching Cilic-Tsonga right and Cilic is looking pretty good up two sets to love. I think Cilic could give Novak a good run for his money even though Novak is 13-0 vs him all-time. But before that I am looking forward to Djokovic-Lopez tonight and of course, Venus-Serena!

Yeah Federer moving on to the semis after crushing Gasquet!

I think I'm gonna try to post here more frequently, but what are ya'll up to on a friday night? I got a cool drink in my hand and netflix loading up my favorite show :)

lol Wawrinka too Roger was just on another level tonight, not much Stan could have done besides hit more backhands in. I don't think that would have changed anything though Roger has been serving impeccably.

Looking forward to Sunday!

:cryi::(:grumpy: Well @tenblackalps and @federer875, as we all know, Federer lost to Djokovic in the finals. But hey, I'm not complaining. I always admired the Big Four in tennis, and Federer and Djokovic both played well. It's one thing I always liked about tennis: epic rivalries.
Djoker truly deserved that win. He's just too damn strong. Seeing fed lose was heartbreaking, though :(:(:(:(

Okay so I was discussing about this in @md-2020 thread about SDN heating up and at risk of having a new thread shut down for being off-topic, I decided to post this here and hope that everyone can see this (it's a stickied thread after all).

Basically, I hope to assess the political spectrum of preallo forums, as a way to verify my hypothesis that preallo is strongly on the left. I am referring to the following political compass:

bothaxes.gif

Basically, complete this survey (http://www.politicalcompass.org/) to the best and most honest as you can and PM me your results (for anonymity purposes). Based on the data (and I hope the sample size is large enough, n>100), I will produce the results and analyze them.

And please answer the survey honestly and not use it as a way to disprove me. I really am curious about the political nature of preallo, so it will help if everyone is genuine. Thanks!

Okay so I was discussing about this in @md-2020 thread about SDN heating up and at risk of having a new thread shut down for being off-topic, I decided to post this here and hope that everyone can see this (it's a stickied thread after all).

Basically, I hope to assess the political spectrum of preallo forums, as a way to verify my hypothesis that preallo is strongly on the left. I am referring to the following political compass:

bothaxes.gif

Basically, complete this survey (http://www.politicalcompass.org/) to the best and most honest as you can and PM me your results (for anonymity purposes). Based on the data (and I hope the sample size is large enough, n>100), I will produce the results and analyze them.

And please answer the survey honestly and not use it as a way to disprove me. I really am curious about the political nature of preallo, so it will help if everyone is genuine. Thanks!
The descriptions on the side lead me to believe that I am misinterpreting what 'left' and 'right' mean economically.

View attachment 196439
So I guess I'm South-Central.

Coordinates? Just for accuracy purposes (PM me if you wish)

The descriptions on the side lead me to believe that I am misinterpreting what 'left' and 'right' mean economically.

Economic left = collectivism (everything should be focused for the good of the society through cooperative efforts)
Economic right = individualism (everything should be driven by self-interest through competitive efforts)

It's a bit extreme on both ends, but you got the gist of it.

Coordinates? Just for accuracy purposes (PM me if you wish)

Economic left = collectivism (everything should be focused for the good of the society through cooperative efforts)
Economic right = individualism (everything should be driven by self-interest through competitive efforts)

It's a bit extreme on both ends, but you got the gist of it.
I PM'd you my results, but honestly I'm surprised I ended up as economically left as I did...I'm often a mixed bag on that front.
Doesn't matter in the US though, because we only have 2 parties and I've got some hard-line social issues, so I usually ignore the economic debate because it won't affect my vote.

"People with serious inheritable disabilities should not be allowed to reproduce."

It's like the test is reading my mind!

Haven't taken that in a few years. Surprised at how far left I was, though I think it's because I answered what I think would be ideal. Like for the Marx slogan, I answered strongly agree but I wouldn't actually support anything based on that until we actually have an excess of resources and work because we want to.

Anyway, I got -7, -4.1

(-5.38,-4.26)
I guess my cynicism about corporations has gotten a little out of hand :D

First month of undergrad is complete and going well. So far all A's and had the only 100 in my 400 person section at a top 25 university in Gen Chem! :) Things are about to get rough with a sociology exam though.

I hope everyone else is doing well!

Anyone go to UCSD? If you know someone who does, can you tag them?

• What's the rent like around that area?
  • Is it better to live on campus or off campus?
  • Is it hard for an out of state transfer to happen?
  • Is there good jobs out there to make enough for living expenses (I have an EMT-B cert)?
  • Hows is the social scene there?
  • Is it easy to talk to professors (research opportunities, LOR's)?
If I come up with anymore questions I'll put them in a new post. If I don't get some answers, then I'll try my best to find the answers on Google.;)

Gracias.:horns:

Anyone go to UCSD? If you know someone who does, can you tag them?

• What's the rent like around that area?
  • Is it better to live on campus or off campus?
  • Is it hard for an out of state transfer to happen?
  • Is there good jobs out there to make enough for living expenses (I have an EMT-B cert)?
  • Hows is the social scene there?
  • Is it easy to talk to professors (research opportunities, LOR's)?
If I come up with anymore questions I'll put them in a new post. If I don't get some answers, then I'll try my best to find the answers on Google.;)

Gracias.:horns:
1) In the vicinty of UCSD rent is expensive because La Jolla is a very high end place. I was paying 600 to split a room. Try Kearny Mesa, Mira Mesa for more affordable living.

2) On campus is really nice, good for having making close friends because the campus is so huge.

3) Not too sure tbh. Sorry.

4) There are jobs available on and off campus. Lots of research lab tech stuff going on and there are EMT jobs available too if it fits with your schedule.

5) Social scence is great, mission peach, pacific beach, downtown all have some awesome clubs many with no cover charge. Lot's of music venues. Lot's of art. If you're feeling hipster-ish and want to try some awesome and unique bars or restaurants I would suggest going to North Park.

6) It's fairly easy to talk to professors but remeber you're in a class of 100-300 hardcore pre-meds who all want those 1-2 slots. It's better to do your own research within a division you're interested in (radiology, anesthesiology, etc etc) then look up who is doing active research 9easy to find on UCSD's interwebs) and email them directly with a CV. that's how I ended up doping my research.

You can PM if you have any more Q's. I'm a native San Diegan.