Forum Members *~*~*~*~Official Pre-Allo Social Thread~*~*~*~*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
1) In the vicinty of UCSD rent is expensive because La Jolla is a very high end place. I was paying 600 to split a room. Try Kearny Mesa, Mira Mesa for more affordable living.

2) On campus is really nice, good for having making close friends because the campus is so huge.

3) Not too sure tbh. Sorry.

4) There are jobs available on and off campus. Lots of research lab tech stuff going on and there are EMT jobs available too if it fits with your schedule.

5) Social scence is great, mission peach, pacific beach, downtown all have some awesome clubs many with no cover charge. Lot's of music venues. Lot's of art. If you're feeling hipster-ish and want to try some awesome and unique bars or restaurants I would suggest going to North Park.

6) It's fairly easy to talk to professors but remeber you're in a class of 100-300 hardcore pre-meds who all want those 1-2 slots. It's better to do your own research within a division you're interested in (radiology, anesthesiology, etc etc) then look up who is doing active research 9easy to find on UCSD's interwebs) and email them directly with a CV. that's how I ended up doping my research.

You can PM if you have any more Q's. I'm a native San Diegan.
Thank you. =)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Does anyone know if my LOR writer needs to specify who the letter of rec is for? such as an application # or whatever.

this is for a post bacc program i'm applying to

Does anyone know if my LOR writer needs to specify who the letter of rec is for? such as an application # or whatever.

this is for a post bacc program i'm applying to
That would be up to the program you're getting the LOR for.
You don't need anything like that for AMCAS (that info is on the cover sheet you use to send it in), but I have no clue what the reqs are for an unspecified postbacc program (or a specified one, for that matter.

Members don't see this ad :)
@Lucca @efle @mehc012 @ImmunoLove comic bump!

623f58e02df201330139005056a9545d

Reactions: 2 users
Hola chicos y chicas, como les va?

For those in the app process how's it going?

Hola chicos y chicas, como les va?

For those in the app process how's it going?

Así así, pero los aplicaciones están progresando muy bien!

(would it be more appropriate to say 'mis aplicaciones'? It always feels like people who actually speak the language avoid possessives unless the meaning would be utterly unclear without them.)

Así así, pero los aplicaciones están progresando muy bien!

(would it be more appropriate to say 'mis aplicaciones'? It always feels like people who actually speak the language avoid possessives unless the meaning would be utterly unclear without them.)
mis aplicationes (aplicaciones) would be better sounding to us lol. Where have you applied so far?

mis aplicationes (aplicaciones) would be better sounding to us lol. Where have you applied so far?
Haha, maybe it was just my instructor, then...I swear she never used them unless the sentence would be utterly nonsensical without.

I applied to 25 places, mostly reaches cuz if I do get in on a long shot, the finaid is better there.
Interviewed at Wayne and Davis thus far, Case and Emory coming up!
Waiting nervously for the 15th...

Did you end up applying this year? I'm terrible at keeping track, lol.

Haha, maybe it was just my instructor, then...I swear she never used them unless the sentence would be utterly nonsensical without.

I applied to 25 places, mostly reaches cuz if I do get in on a long shot, the finaid is better there.
Interviewed at Wayne and Davis thus far, Case and Emory coming up!
Waiting nervously for the 15th...

Did you end up applying this year? I'm terrible at keeping track, lol.
Actually I'm an MS4 going into gyn. JK Nah, me and Cyberdino might end up applying together (no homo) in the future lol. Give me 3 years more. Lots of life changes happening right now, like I'm leaving Texas.

Actually I'm an MS4 going into gyn. JK Nah, me and Cyberdino might end up applying together (no homo) in the future lol. Give me 3 years more. Lots of life changes happening right now, like I'm leaving Texas.
Oh man, I hope that neither you nor Cyberdyne have to wait that long...you guys should both be in med school already imo!

Oh man, I hope that neither you nor Cyberdyne have to wait that long...you guys should both be in med school already imo!
Sh8t at least he has a bachelor's already, I think he is currently doing a post bac. I will be fine with it if I'm in my late 20s when I apply. I keep thinking it's going to take me that long lol, I'm i 23 at the moment. I want to go for my next skill level for EMT, but that would put me behind on school once again. Must...focus on the prize.

It would be cool to rent a house and have cool ppl from SDN that go to the same school live there. #GreysAnatomy o_O:p

Members don't see this ad :)
It would be cool to rent a house and have cool ppl from SDN that go to the same school live there. #GreysAnatomy o_O:p
If you can ignore the fact that only 2 of the people who started the series in that house made it to attending status :p

Just got rejected from BU :(
Again, I'm...not too terribly torn up? I should be, since my family is in Boston and I'd love to end up there, but I can't seem to make myself get as bummed over rejections as I am pumped over individual interviews. :shrug:

Just got rejected from BU :(
Again, I'm...not too terribly torn up? I should be, since my family is in Boston and I'd love to end up there, but I can't seem to make myself get as bummed over rejections as I am pumped over individual interviews. :shrug:
You have the right attitude. This process is a bit too arbitrary so it's best to focus on the positive.

Reactions: 1 users
I'm in Arizona. Where's the grass at? @Winged Scapula
You're obviously not in Scottsdale where we have lots of grass (but in all fairness, there are plenty of states with water restrictions and brown grass after the summer. Just hop next door and you'll see what I mean).

What's y'all favorite beer to drink? I like Corona, Modelo and Pacifico.

I worked at sbux for a few years and actually tried it. not too bad tbh lol
Those double shot espressos they sell on the gas stations give me a giant headache tho :(

How's med school going for you?

Those double shot espressos they sell on the gas stations give me a giant headache tho :(

How's med school going for you?
Yeah they have sooo much caffeine! I've been on a Monster Rehab kick thanks to my class mate ha-ha. Med school is great! Hanging in there haha

Yeah they have sooo much caffeine! I've been on a Monster Rehab kick thanks to my class mate ha-ha. Med school is great! Hanging in there haha
Monster's and Rockstar's don't do **** for me. I think it is because of the powerful stimulant pre-workouts I'm used to.

Dang!
That comment about muslims from Dr. Carson...WTF:thinking::eyebrow:

That awkward moment when you see a Ross med school diploma on the wall of the doc you're shadowing ...

Reactions: 3 users
Just got a 99 on my second Chem midterm…top two in class. On pace for a 3.7 at a top ranked college! Let's go!

Reactions: 2 users
hahaha. how was the experience?
Really neat, actually. I got to burn off a wart. I try to take away at least one lesson from each shadowing block, and I'm still looking for what that'll be with this guy. I have a couple more weeks with his practice in FM, then I'm shadowing a neurologist.

Really neat, actually. I got to burn off a wart. I try to take away at least one lesson from each shadowing block, and I'm still looking for what that'll be with this guy. I have a couple more weeks with his practice in FM, then I'm shadowing a neurologist.
of course the only residency he could land was FM. lol

Submitted my AACOMAS primary woohoo! Now to wait for verification ...

Reactions: 1 users