Forum Members *~*~*~*~Official Pre-Allo Social Thread~*~*~*~*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I love this thread but find it interesting that SDN loves URM culture but dislikes URMs. Crazy. Anyway, Wayne is forever the GOAT.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app
1) One thread and all of the sudden SDN love URM culture? Even so, what's wrong with a thread that is supposed to be lighthearted and fun such as this one?
2) Just because trolls periodically post anti-URM threads doesn't mean that same sentiment is shared by the majority of this site.
3) What's your favorite rap lyric?? :p:headphone:

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Ask me any week and I'll give you a different answer. Here's the stuff rattling around in my head right now:

"Life's a bitch and then you die" (Nas articulated absurdism far more clearly in his song than Camus did when he got the Nobel prize)

"Woke up early on my born day - I'm 20
It's a blessing
The essence of adolescence leaves my body
And now my physical frame is celebrated
Cause I made it
One quarter through life
Some Godly thing created" (a lyric about the ecstasy of surviving youth as a black kid in a violent and difficult environment, moving on from adolescence and celebrating but at the same time the lyric is sobering because of the idea - which has long permeated rap and was reiterated by Kendrick in Butterfly - that black men only really have 3 decades on the earth to show what they are worth. Nas is saying he did it, he survived, he's proud but he doesn't know at what cost, or if any of it will be worth it, and is unsure about the future. This is the same song as the lyric above it).

Nas

And from Kendrick's Mortal Man:

Do you believe in me? Are you deceiving me?
Could I let you down easily, is your heart where it need to be?
Is your smile on permanent? Is your vow on lifetime?
Would you know where the sermon is if I died in this next line?

If I’m tried in a court of law, if the industry cut me off
If the government want me dead, plant cocaine in my car
Would you judge me a drug-head or see me as K. Lamar
Or question my character and degrade me on every blog

Want you to love me like Nelson, want you to hug me like Nelson
I freed you from being a slave in your mind, you’re very welcome
You tell me my song is more than a song, it’s surely a blessing
But a prophet ain’t a prophet til they ask you this question:

When **** hit the fan, is you
still a fan?

Also really liked these lines from the Hamilton musical opening number, Alexander Hamilton:

The ten-dollar founding father without a father
Got a lot farther by working a lot harder
By being a lot smarter
By being a self-starter

By fourteen, they placed him in charge of a
Trading charter

And this one

Then a hurricane came, and devastation reigned
Our man saw his future drip, dripping down the drain
Put a pencil to his temple, connected it to his brain
And he wrote his first refrain, a testament to his pain

Really like this refrain from Warcloud because it sounds awesome when you hear it:

Frequency modulation, Mephistopheles
Mi dispiace, overwhelm realm as thick as thieves
Hap hazard ball and chain, the warrior king God
Whoever claim, this dismal drown you, bleed
Then squeeze, sound catastrophes
A kind of loose gown worn by the Japanese
Crash, some prickly apple trees
Thanks a lot it drops from you, who, went to nowhere and forgot
I get the props, blacken flowers and glocks, crash

Last edited:
2) Just because trolls periodically post anti-URM threads doesn't mean that same sentiment is shared by the majority if this site.
This is very true. Also, most medical school parody videos involve hip hop music. Some students "got bars!" :p

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Verbal intercourse.
Also, this thread is probably going to get moved to the social thread.
I've had the pleasure of meeting Nas, Rae, and Ghost in person.

I also met the artist who kicked the following verse:
My verbals rip ****
Brains give birth to thoughts in triplets
f**k it I'm on some flip ****
ready to let my clip spit, dramatical
vocals release shells like automatics do
Music's magical causing any battle to be tragical
I got styles sick as hell, sicker than sickle cell anemia
slaughter your circulatory like leukemia
filled with larceny, who want parts of me?
vicious, mad malicious
cause it's real on this road to riches
I got this mastered, other rappers'll craft it
weak and wicked camoflauged as killers
how they speak and kick it
peep this uniqueness
nonbelievers I'm leaving speechless
left to choke as if skunk smoke
was coming through the speakers
surgically nice with any verbal device
trife, breathing life into mics
my insight's beyond the twilight
so die, fight, no surrender, no retreat
techniques speak
I'm rather unique

Do you recognize it?

Gotta give Spice 1 a shoutout

Livin' day by day in my hood, on the spot
I see the same old things, same dope fiends, cops
Just an average day in the streets of California
5-0 find a young girl dead around the corner

Mommy's on her knees, she had tears in her eyes
And nobody knew why the young girl had to die
People look ashamed it's been like this for years
Bloody sheets on the body, face wet from her mommy's tears

She couldn't have been over 4-5
And if mommy wasn't based, she would still be alive
But now the street is a place you could be swallowed by death
Brothas takin' each other's lives and goin' to rest in peace
I wonder if heaven got a ghetto
My cousin died last year and I still can't let go

I walk the streets of my city of my neighborhood
Seein' dope fiends livin' off canned goods
15 n****z on the corner and n****z die young in California

5-0'll get a dope case and flaunt it
Have your ass on, "America's Most Wanted"
But I don't slang or either gang-bang
And though my old school homies do the same thing

I still got love 'cause you gotta live
So you can give and raise a family G
But you gotta do your best slangin' D-O-P-E
So keep a grip on yourself and stay mellow

And welcome to the ghetto

"I'll smother your mother and make ya sister think I love er'" ~Eazy-E

EAZY-E-10.jpg

J. Cole. Every song is just incredible. One of the realest guys ever.

Agree J Cole is my favorite rapper his lyrics feel incredibly personal

Members don't see this ad :)
Since this is a social thread I just wanna throw it out there- if you are trying to book a flight don't EVER book Expedia. Was on the phone for 3+ hours with them trying to fix my flight that had been changed that would have had me stuck in Shanghai for three days. I was polite the entire time until the supervisor screwed up fixing my booking (and made me end my vacation a day early) and then I finally went ape s*** and started screaming like the exorcist... As awful as I felt, screaming got me results quicker than being polite did.

So the zipper on my Tempurpedic pillow case came undone and I can't get it zipped up again. I've had this pillow for over 7 years at this point. Do you think they'd send me a new pillow case if I send this one back? If not, do you think a seamstress would be able to fix it?

So the zipper on my Tempurpedic pillow case came undone and I can't get it zipped up again. I've had this pillow for over 7 years at this point. Do you think they'd send me a new pillow case if I send this one back? If not, do you think a seamstress would be able to fix it?

I'd imagine you can buy a new pillow case (or pillow, given its been so long). A seamstress most definitely can fix it, too.

I'd imagine you can buy a new pillow case (or pillow, given its been so long). A seamstress most definitely can fix it, too.

I'm also wondering what the cheaper option is.

POKEMON SUN AND MOON ANYONE??? Too bad I'll be deep into med school by the time it comes out. Oh well, I'll have to binge play it during my break.

I'm also wondering what the cheaper option is.

The cheaper option is probably calling them up and seeing if they will replace it free of charge (not sure what their warranty is on pillows/covers). If they can't/won't, then maybe you can sew it up (probably what I would do, since I'm handy with the sewing machine). A simple zipper replacement by a professional shouldn't cost more than $20.

POKEMON SUN AND MOON ANYONE??? Too bad I'll be deep into med school by the time it comes out. Oh well, I'll have to binge play it during my break.

I used to have a pretty bad pokemon habit, but I had to give it up. I just googled these and it looks like they're coming out around the holiday season this year which will be right before I start my clinical year, so I'll probably not get to play them. A shame.

I used to have a pretty bad pokemon habit, but I had to give it up. I just googled these and it looks like they're coming out around the holiday season this year which will be right before I start my clinical year, so I'll probably not get to play them. A shame.

When I was younger my cousin destroyed a book I was reading on vacation. I snuck into his room and deleted his Pokemon game that he had logged 300 hours on and titled a new game "payback" and saved it... Which was only the first of many times I've made a male cry.

When I was younger my cousin destroyed a book I was reading on vacation. I snuck into his room and deleted his Pokemon game that he had logged 300 hours on and titled a new game "payback" and saved it... Which was only the first of many times I've made a male cry.

The definition of unforgivable sin

Reactions: 2 users
Why do I get random yet inconsistent notifications from this thread?

Did anyone catch the Warriors-Thunder game?!
hi-res-62fc2628718161d810d2e8993b6cbbda_crop_north.jpg

Steph Curry's range is supernatural!!!
Just pulls up for a 38 footer like its nothing. Oh...
I'm super critical of the NBA and don't really enjoy watching it (I'm college bball fan through and through). But he is so incredibly stellar I can't help but watch him

Just pulls up for a 38 footer like its nothing. Oh...
I'm super critical of the NBA and don't really enjoy watching it (I'm college bball fan through and through). But he is so incredibly stellar I can't help but watch him
I've been watching NBA basketball for about 2 decades and I haven't seen anything like this. It must be exhausting for opposing teams to defend someone who can shoot from just about anywhere. What makes it scarier is that he can actually do it off the freaking dribble!

Aside from the overpaid primadonnas who don't play defense, what's your beef with the NBA?

Last edited:
I've been watching NBA basketball for about 2 decades and I haven't seen anything like this. It must be exhausting for opposing teams to defend someone who can just pull up from anywhere. What makes it scarier is that he can actually do it off the freaking dribble!

Aside from the overpaid primadonnas who don't play defense, what's your beef with the NBA?

Hah that's the big part of it. Don't get me wrong, I think the NCAA is hugely corrupt (I lived it for 3 years playing basketball myself in college), but I just don't like the NBA and NFL. I love to watch kids in college's skills progress as an 18 year old to a 22 year old... To watch the walk on become a star. You just don't see that as often in the pro leagues. And they're a bunch of overpaid crybabies.

Hah that's the big part of it. Don't get me wrong, I think the NCAA is hugely corrupt (I lived it for 3 years playing basketball myself in college), but I just don't like the NBA and NFL. I love to watch kids in college's skills progress as an 18 year old to a 22 year old... To watch the walk on become a star. You just don't see that as often in the pro leagues. And they're a bunch of overpaid crybabies.
The skill progression you're referring to was more apparent and enjoyable to watch when players actually stayed in college for at least 3 years. Now, with few exceptions, they project a player's performance based on their athleticism and hope that a skillset develops while they're in the League. And obviously, this "basketball maturity" often doesn't materialize...

My main beef with college basketball (well at least on the men's side) is the shot-clock. Imo, 35 seconds is excessive and leads to teams just pointlessly swinging the ball around the perimeter. I think players would develop better if they were forced to create a high percentage shot in less time.

The skill progression you're referring to was more apparent and enjoyable to watch when players actually stayed in college for at least 3 years. Now, with few exceptions, they project a player's performance based on their athleticism and hope that a skillset develops while they're in the League. And obviously, this "basketball maturity" often doesn't materialize...

My main beef with college basketball (well at least on the men's side) is the shot-clock. Imo, 35 seconds is excessive and leads to teams just pointlessly swinging the ball around the perimeter. I think players would develop better if they were forced to create a high percentage shot in less time.
If you want to see true fundamental basketball at its core, watch womens basketball. It's SO BORING and I myself can't watch it, but we ladies have to rely on skill rather than raw athleticism most of the time as opposed to the men, who usually use their raw athleticism to get by (with little skill)... I think that's also why I dislike the NBA... Steals all of the great players from college! But making $0 a year vs a possible millions is too good of an offer to pass up.

If you want to see true fundamental basketball at its core, watch womens basketball. It's SO BORING and I myself can't watch it, but we ladies have to rely on skill rather than raw athleticism most of the time as opposed to the men, who usually use their raw athleticism to get by (with little skill)... I think that's also why I dislike the NBA... Steals all of the great players from college! But making $0 a year vs a possible millions is too good of an offer to pass up.
For some reason, the women's games that I watch often involve a total annihilation :laugh: Like, I'll witness skills, but it's completely one-sided! I'll tag you during the tournament for recommendations. Hopefully, the games I watch will actually be close.

For some reason, the women's games that I watch often involve a total annihilation :laugh: Like, I'll witness skills, but it's completely one-sided! I'll tag you during the tournament for recommendations. Hopefully, the games I watch will actually be close.

Most likely won't be. As usual UCONN will run the gamut. Breanna Stewart is hungry for the 4x national championship and I don't see any other team getting in their way. Tennessee dropped out of the rankings for the first time in YEARS, but that's a rarity. Most of the good teams stay good and there are very few upsets- mostly annihilations, like you've seen. Most of my games in college we either won by 30 or lost by 30.. Usually we lost by 30 :hilarious::dead:

Most likely won't be. As usual UCONN will run the gamut. Breanna Stewart is hungry for the 4x national championship and I don't see any other team getting in their way. Tennessee dropped out of the rankings for the first time in YEARS, but that's a rarity. Most of the good teams stay good and there are very few upsets- mostly annihilations, like you've seen. Most of my games in college we either won by 30 or lost by 30.. Usually we lost by 30 :hilarious::dead:
Then perhaps I'll catch some of the non-U-Conn games. Jeez, they really are a perennial powerhouse...

Are you a guard or forward?

Then perhaps I'll catch some of the non-U-Conn games. Jeez, they really are a perennial powerhouse...

Are you a guard or forward?

Small forward... I'm 6'0" but like to shoot 3s and pass. I get stuck as a center a lot though because of my height and strength. Both my parents played shooting guards in college... I'm way more comfortable around the perimeter.

I used to read them every day, but then Foxtrot stopped publishing daily.

I really only like One Piece though (and as you can tell my favorite character is Trafalgar Law, or "Surgeon of Death"). I've seen every episode like three times over and own almost every manga volume in Japanese lol. But as for other anime, I haven't really been into it (unless you count Dragonball, DBZ, and Pokemon. Used to be into Gundam and Zoids)

I really only like One Piece though (and as you can tell my favorite character is Trafalgar Law, or "Surgeon of Death"). I've seen every episode like three times over and own almost every manga volume in Japanese lol. But as for other anime, I haven't really been into it (unless you count Dragonball, DBZ, and Pokemon. Used to be into Gundam and Zoids)

Are you up to date with One Piece manga?

I am not. I'm up to when Donquixote gets defeated. Now, I usually like to let it build up over the academic year and then binge/catch up over the summer.