Forum Members *~*~*~*~Official Pre-Allo Social Thread~*~*~*~*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Words I never, ever thought I'd utter, "Cheering for UND!" OTOH, my alma mater wants their degree back :( )

Congrats UND!

fatlady.jpg

Members don't see this ad.

image.png

...please watch Rick and morty guys lol.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Wow. As someone who identifies as a clinically depressed frog and doesn't believe in having fun, I must say I'm quite disappointed that so many people like to dance.

Reactions: 1 user
pls Pepe.

Awake at 04:15 bump. Man, waiting to make the transition to medschool sucks.

Members don't see this ad :)
I obviously know jack **** about medicine. And I know it's a TV show. THIS IS HYPOTHETICAL. :D

I know the show does it on purpose so only House is right, but damn.. they're never right. Would real doctors consider House's team dumb? The last one I watched I thought chimerism (it was) and these bitches are suggesting radiation and like aliens.

Watched the episode on androgen insensitivity the other day and lol'd. That's like a second year med student diagnosis.

Somewhat off topic here but I heard Scrubs is pretty close to the real thing

Reactions: 5 users
I enjoy watching House simply cuz I find the character 'House' hilarious. But the medical side of the show is painful and it is alwaysss the same damn thing.

It's not very impressive. Somewhat impressive, sure. But if anything, you can attribute last night's performance to luck. Case in point, over the past 2 seasons he shot under 40% from the field. Luckily for him, the chucks actually went in during his last game.

What's more impressive is a Wizards-era Jordan averaging around 20 a game and shooting over 40% from the field for an entire season.

I mean I guess there's a disconnect because I actually saw Jordan play in his prime and I've never quite understood why people put Kobe on a similar plane. Don't get me wrong, Kobe is an all time great, but unlike Jordan, he wasn't far and away the best player of his time. But for some reason, he has been given Jordan-esque praise for much of his career. Kinda baffling considering that he's had to share the spotlight with the likes of Shaq, Duncan, Lebron, and Wade.

I watch House because of

reason_of_thirteen_s_absence_from_house_m_d_revealed.jpg

who even cares what type of diagnoses she comes up with?

Reactions: 19 users
I liked House alright except that it was a little depressing overall. Never seen a real doc with a lab coat as sexy as the ones on that show, though.

Would real doctors consider House's team dumb?

Probably. A neurologist and immunologist scrubbing in on surgeries? A plastic surgeon on a diagnostic team? Throwing random diseases on a differential because you know your lay-audience doesn't know any better? Doing their own labwork and pathology? Breaking into patient homes? It's dumb.

Just watch all of Scrubs. It is quite spot on for many things, then again actual medicine isn't really the focus of the show.

One of my friends was really excited he could diagnose Fabry's in one of the episodes in Scrubs where Dr. Cox couldn't.

Scrubs was awesome.

House was cool when I watched it the first time as a kid but now I cant watch it for longer than 30 seconds, which is a shame because I love Olivia Wilde and Hugh Laurie. Liked Hugh Laurie better when he did comedy though.

every House episode though:

M73r4yX.gif

Reactions: 9 users
The narrative of the show is that all the common diseases have been ruled out, so they're chasing zebras (which makes some wrong guesses expected I guess). And they took some liberties for the sake of TV (most apparent being that the doctors personally run all the tests, etc)

I found the show entertaining enough, but I know nothing, which probably made it easier to accept said cases as actually difficult. I may feel differently after a few years of med school.

Many of the early episodes of House were borrowed from the short stories of Berton Roueché such as "Eleven Blue Men and Other Narratives of Medical Detection". These stories were based on investigations conduced by the CDC during puzzling outbreaks. So, whereas the doctors on House broke into people's homes. the CDC would just invite themselves in, or be let in by the police or something.
Also, the stories were from the mid-twentieth century so they don't always translate well to modern times.

http://www.wired.com/2011/01/blue-man/

A few of the House M.D. medical episodes were really good, watch All In. The best episodes were not about the medicine, more about situational ethics, human frailties, and complex relationships.

I watched a handful of episodes over the last few years and I didn't care for it. Now that I have started from the beginning I really enjoy the characters and their storylines. The medical stuff drives me crazy, even as someone who has very little medical knowledge. It's so painful how they spell out every little detail.

Probably. A neurologist and immunologist scrubbing in on surgeries? A plastic surgeon on a diagnostic team? Throwing random diseases on a differential because you know your lay-audience doesn't know any better? Doing their own labwork and pathology?....
Actually most of the team does work that would take others more than a dozen years of combined residency to complete and yet many appear to be younger than 30 -- for most of us to complete training in surgery, path, radiology, IM with endocrine, ID and hematology fellowship and neurology we'd be relatively ancient. I'd call that pretty brilliant, not dumb.

It's no wonder the original cast wanted more money (and were let go). They were each playing what would have been six roles on most other medical dramas. :)

Actually most of the team does work that would take others more than a dozen years of combined residency to complete and yet many appear to be younger than 30 -- for most of us to complete training in surgery, path, radiology, IM with endocrine, ID and hematology fellowship and neurology we'd be relatively ancient. I'd call that pretty brilliant, not dumb.

It's no wonder the original cast wanted more money (and were let go). They were each playing what would have been six roles on most other medical dramas. :)

You forgot 2 yrs of MBA, given how much the characters, esp boss man House, muddle with the business side of hospital operation :p

As I'm studying for the MCAT, I am taking breaks watching Dr. Pimple Popper on Youtube. Somebody please tell me I'm not the only one that loves this stuff :laugh:

As I'm studying for the MCAT, I am taking breaks watching Dr. Pimple Popper on Youtube. Somebody please tell me I'm not the only one that loves this stuff :laugh:
Oh no that keeps showing up on my facebook news feed and I can't handle it.

Guilty as charged.

Bonus points. What was the question?

@Mad Jack I'm a "DJ" for an internet radio that plays anime and Japanese music. My friend told me to put that down as one of my ECs. lol

@Mad Jack I'm a "DJ" for an internet radio that plays anime and Japanese music. My friend told me to put that down as one of my ECs. lol
I don't think they understand how the admission process works :roflcopter:

Seriously though, I hope I'm an adcom someday so I can give people that put their ridiculously nerdy ECs on their app a pass. Just open the interview with it, "So I see here that you're a prolific Naruto cosplayer and LoL rank Challenger I..."

Reactions: 3 users
I'd advocate for someone who lists those as non-academic-non-healthcare ECs I don't even give a ****.